The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2021-22 Rumours

H_T_L

24 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Time to move on IMO .  They only made it to the finals last year on a fluke . The 3 years before that they weren’t even a playoff team . Going to be a couple of yrs at least before we see the plays off again then we’re going have a team of old timers if we keep these guys . 

Agreed - you cannot keep losing or coming close to a bubble playoff team with the same mini-core of old, and resetting on "maybe / hope / anything can happen". Time to identify a new core block, and build around it. That could include a couple of veterans for the short term - e.g. Price contract may not be tradeable at present without major salary retention, Toffoli for leadership etc. March 21 is too tight a window for some players to improve on their value but I see Petry, Gallagher, Byron, maybe even Drouin being shopped for more value in the off-season. 

9 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Noooooooooooooooooo. 

Slew foot subban  

Two things that I find very annoying. PK is gone never to return, you all need to get over it. Definitely a super wrong time to bring him back.

The run to the finals last year was not a fluke. Price is and was paid ten million to do exactly that. Not to mention how valuable Weber is and was . Those two missing is why we have struggled so much. If both cannot come back then yes we are in trouble of being bad for a few years. If they can come back , then who knows. 

15 hours ago, campabee82 said:

, Petry wants to be in Montreal but also wants to see his family, 

Sounds like he wants out

https://thehockeynews.com/news/montreal-canadiens-willing-to-move-jeff-petry

The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun reports sources indicate Petry would welcome a trade. While he has a 15-team no-trade clause, his camp is open to helping facilitate a deal.

23 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Sounds like he wants out

The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun reports sources indicate Petry would welcome a trade. While he has a 15-team no-trade clause, his camp is open to helping facilitate a deal.

I would guess that he'd be open to pretty much any non Canadian team not named the Coyotes.  

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Sounds like he wants out

Cool cool.

Based on earlier comments, sounds like Hughes and Gorton won't facilitate a trade unelsss they get a decent return. I'm fine with letting Petry go via trade. He's not going to be part of the team's long-term success.

16 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Cool cool.

Based on earlier comments, sounds like Hughes and Gorton won't facilitate a trade unelsss they get a decent return. I'm fine with letting Petry go via trade. He's not going to be part of the team's long-term success.

Agree. I have little doubt he'll bounce back but even when that contract was handed out you had to assume the last couple of years wouldnt be great value. 

Im curious what sort of return we could expect either now, or in the summer.  I would think a pick, a prospect and a mid tier (salary offset) player, similar to the Pacioretty return... 

With the talk about possibly losing Harris if he wont resign with us, I started looking around at other players that could jump ship after college & one name really jumped out: Jack McBain. Playing at Boston college - centre, leading his team in scoring (24 points in 18g) big (6'4 210) and plays a strong 200ft game. Minnesota already has roster/cap issues & may not be able to entice him to stay... could be a perfect addition to our roster.  Wouldnt it be nice if we were the team getting a guy like this for a change?

As for why he'd come to Montreal: chance at being an impact player immediately rather than having to pay dues on most team's 4th line etc.  

5 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Two things that I find very annoying. PK is gone never to return, you all need to get over it. Definitely a super wrong time to bring him back.

The run to the finals last year was not a fluke. Price is and was paid ten million to do exactly that. Not to mention how valuable Weber is and was . Those two missing is why we have struggled so much. If both cannot come back then yes we are in trouble of being bad for a few years. If they can come back , then who knows. 

no one is mentioning edmundson.. dude was key to petry's success.... but i totally agree with you here. just add eddy.

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Sounds like he wants out

Glad you included the link to the article so I did not have to lol. The article states

The sources said Petry indicate that Petry would welcome a trade, that is not the same as Petry wanting a trade or requesting a trade, it also does not say that he wants out of Montreal. That just means that Petry is not opposed to being traded and given the issues with Jeff seeing his family and the issues with the coaching this year who can blame him for not being against being traded?! Instead of jumping to conclusions about what he wants let's just wait for Jeff himself to tell us. 

29 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Glad you included the link to the article so I did not have to lol. The article states

The sources said Petry indicate that Petry would welcome a trade, that is not the same as Petry wanting a trade or requesting a trade, it also does not say that he wants out of Montreal. That just means that Petry is not opposed to being traded and given the issues with Jeff seeing his family and the issues with the coaching this year who can blame him for not being against being traded?! Instead of jumping to conclusions about what he wants let's just wait for Jeff himself to tell us. 

Your welcome :) I thought you would like that 

Wellllllllllllll, considering the family decided to remain in the USA  for the remainder of THIS year , and the unreliable sources indicate he would welcome a trade , and his camp is open to help facilitate a trade ,  I dunno, how close is that to " wanting " out of Montreal without saying " I want out "

As for blaming him for wanting out , he's a professional athlete making milions ( 4 ) in salary .   Sometimes life sucks and you suck it up 

Lucky him

. Lucky he doesn't  have regular 9 to 5 job

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Wellllllllllllll, considering the family decided to remain in the USA  for the remainder of THIS year , and the unreliable sources indicate he would welcome a trade , and his camp is open to help facilitate a trade ,  I dunno, how close is that to " wanting " out of Montreal without saying " I want out "

As for blaming him for wanting out , he's a professional athlete making milions ( 4 ) in salary .   Sometimes life sucks and you suck it up 

Lucky him

Agree.  "welcoming a trade" is a lot closer to wanting a trade than say if a player "would accept a trade"     He's a pro and im sure he will play no matter what but it sure sounds like he'd prefer to be closer to his family.   It may be moot if the restrictions end up being softened/removed, who knows. 

7 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Lucky him

Remember that "Professional Athlete making millions , when players whine what line they are on or players they're playing with or "how the coach is treating me" ....boo hoo! 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/2/9/22924452/jeff-petry-trade-value-montreal-canadiens-trade-deadline-2022-habs-tank-fire-ducharme

Bottom Six Minutes 45: Jeff Petry isn’t helping his trade value

Though it’s hard to single out one performance in a 7-1 loss, Jeff Petry’s was concerning.

There is a lot one could say about a 7-1 Montreal Canadiens loss at the hands of the New Jersey Devils. I was tempted to once again renew my call for the Tricolore to hire a new coach after watching that debacle, but I feel my position on that is clear enough for the moment. I tried instead to think of which performance on the ice was most concerning in this latest embarrassment of a game.

Jeff Petry’s stood out, and was particularly concerning due to the fact that he apparently wants to be trade  :freu1:

Havent seen any credible sources but have read several people on Twitter suggesting Calgary is making a push for Tyler Toffoli.   Would like to keep him, personally but if the return is good im not opposed to moving him. He is turning 30 in a couple of months... 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Havent seen any credible sources but have read several people on Twitter suggesting Calgary is making a push for Tyler Toffoli.   Would like to keep him, personally but if the return is good im not opposed to moving him. He is turning 30 in a couple of months... 

Elliotte Friedman has said this is a known rumor going around, given Calgary's needs and Toffoli having been coach by Sutter in LA.

Jeff Marek adding that a number of Western conference teams including Calgary are interested in Dvorak and believe given what they saw of him in Arizona that he's a better player than he's demonstrated thus far in Montreal.

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

i wanna keep guys like Toffoli and Gallagher but I'm not sure I want to keep both. As long as we're not losing him for nothing

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I would only consider an overpayment.  Otherwise,  I  see Tyler Toffoli, as part of the solution,  not the problem.  Good player on a good contract who wants to be here.

22 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I would only consider an overpayment.  Otherwise,  I  see Tyler Toffoli, as part of the solution,  not the problem.  Good player on a good contract who wants to be here.

Agreed. Why not force teams to overpay that are desperate to fill gaps? It can't get any worse for the Habs so if the other teams don't want to overpay then we keep the player.

35 minutes ago, seth505 said:

Agreed. Why not force teams to overpay that are desperate to fill gaps? It can't get any worse for the Habs so if the other teams don't want to overpay then we keep the player.

Yep! nothing wrong with keeping this guy. teams want him because he is good we have plenty of other players to get rid of first.

13 hours ago, habsisme said:

i wanna keep guys like Toffoli and Gallagher but I'm not sure I want to keep both. As long as we're not losing him for nothing

imho we wont trade anyone for less than market value unless they are an UFA. There's no point - Hughes should be in no rush to trade people for the sake of trading them. 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

imho we wont trade anyone for less than market value unless they are an UFA. There's no point - Hughes should be in no rush to trade people for the sake of trading them. 

Agreed. It's not a fire sale, although there are some players I would move,  just to move out.

20 hours ago, seth505 said:

Edmonton really sliding and missing the playoffs is not an option for Holland - granted they need goaltending which we don't have, but the oilers are a team that will make an overpayment. I certainly hope they see something in Chiarot or Kulak.

10 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Freidman reporting that some Western teams have interest in Dvo.

I don't see how he gets moved cause a team is going to have trouble paying much more than what we paid for him (1st and 2nd), but how could we give him up for that little? He's way more valuable to us I think. 

22 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't see how he gets moved cause a team is going to have trouble paying much more than what we paid for him (1st and 2nd), but how could we give him up for that little? He's way more valuable to us I think. 

I am trying to figure out which western conference teams would be interested, we could look at maybe trading for a younger middle 6 center and RHD with middle pairing upside instead of a 1st + 2nd.