The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2021-22 Rumours

H_T_L

27 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't see how he gets moved cause a team is going to have trouble paying much more than what we paid for him (1st and 2nd), but how could we give him up for that little? He's way more valuable to us I think. 

We paid a Carolina 1st which looks to be a late one and a 2024 2nd, right now only Colorado is ahead of the Canes in the standings (although playoffs do factor in draft positioning), so unless it's an Avs 1st we'd be ahead there. Better yet make it an unprotected 2023 1st, if a team would even do that.

As for the 2nd in 2024, I think a lot can beat that, prospect or 2023 pick 3rd and I'm satisfied.

Also have to consider that Poehling is on a one-way next season. 

5 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

We paid a Carolina 1st which looks to be a late one and a 2024 2nd, right now only Colorado is ahead of the Canes in the standings (although playoffs do factor in draft positioning), so unless it's an Avs 1st we'd be ahead there. Better yet make it an unprotected 2023 1st, if a team would even do that.

As for the 2nd in 2024, I think a lot can beat that, prospect or 2023 pick 3rd and I'm satisfied.

Also have to consider that Poehling is on a one-way next season. 

Which WC teams would be most interested though? Would L.A. consider Dvorak for Vilardi + Strand? Would they even have a need?

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Which WC teams would be most interested though? Would L.A. consider Dvorak for Vilardi + Strand? Would they even have a need?

My guess would be Calgary, if they could get rid of Monahan. Actually just heard that on my way to work this morning, they obviously want Toffoli as option 1 but they also mention Dvo fits into Darryl's style of play

Or Anaheim but thats just a guess

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I don't see how he gets moved cause a team is going to have trouble paying much more than what we paid for him (1st and 2nd), but how could we give him up for that little? He's way more valuable to us I think. 

You dont think Gorton would take a 1st and 2nd for him?  What about a 1st and a good young prospect?

I think Gorton & Hughes would make that deal. I do like Dvo. I think he'll bounce back & at his career average 45 pts, decent 2way centre, he's good value, youngish & signed for several years but i also dont think there's a guarantee he bounces back & if he's just a 30 point so-so two way player, we have plenty of those in Evans, Poehling and even Pitlick (who I actually think is going to be here long term). Add that to the fact that we'll likely have a good shot at Wright or at least Cooley, Savoie or Lambert - we may well not need Dvo moving forward. 

26 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You dont think Gorton would take a 1st and 2nd for him?  What about a 1st and a good young prospect?

I think Gorton & Hughes would make that deal. I do like Dvo. I think he'll bounce back & at his career average 45 pts, decent 2way centre, he's good value, youngish & signed for several years but i also dont think there's a guarantee he bounces back & if he's just a 30 point so-so two way player, we have plenty of those in Evans, Poehling and even Pitlick (who I actually think is going to be here long term). Add that to the fact that we'll likely have a good shot at Wright or at least Cooley, Savoie or Lambert - we may well not need Dvo moving forward. 

I don't know what to expect from Gorton. Too early to judge. So far I just see a lot of inexperience. But I wouldn't trade Dvo for a first and a second. I would do it for a good young prospect but its gotta be a good one

The rumors on Toffoli seem to include 
Jakob Pelletier (+pick(s) and maybe a salary offset) from Calgary

or

Rasmus Kupari (+). from LA.

Some interesting ideas.  Pelletier is a very promising young prospect.  Kupari's stock has fallen a little but he is a centre, so positionally he's more valuable than Pelletier (although I *think* Pelletier was drafted as a centre, so that may be moot).  Im sure its all speculation at this point.   Id love to keep Toff, but considering a guy like Pelletier would probably just be hitting his stride as Toffoli's contract expires makes it a smart play if available. 

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The rumors on Toffoli seem to include 
Jakob Pelletier (+pick(s) and maybe a salary offset) from Calgary

or

Rasmus Kupari (+). from LA.
Some interesting ideas.  Pelletier is a very promising young prospect.  Kupari's stock has fallen a little but he is a centre, so positionally he's more valuable than Pelletier (although I *think* Pelletier was drafted as a centre, so that may be moot).  Im sure its all speculation at this point.   Id love to keep Toff, but considering a guy like Pelletier would probably just be hitting his stride as Toffoli's contract expires makes it a smart play if available. 

Not sure  I like the LW Pelletier deal - he's another smurf at 5-9, 165 lbs cap friendly, some sites suggest 5-10 and 170 lbs. Calgary also has Connor Zary a centre but he has not progressed with any trajectory. I think Toff has more value to us than that.

Kupari (20th overall - 2018) strikes me as the better value - sizeable centre and some nhl playing experience. Kings have 3 solid centres in Kopitar, Danault (ouch!), Iafallo and Byfield (as their up and comer), so Kupari is getting squeezed and thus his value appears low but perhaps upside. Alex Turcotte - also a centre but at 5-11, 185 lbs (5th overall pick - 2019),  but don't get me started again on USNTDP, is another alternative in their lineup. Kings also have a nice RHD defenceman in Brandt Clarke (8th overall - 2021 draft) - He would also be a very nice LA trade piece- to me LA has the better shopping list for us. 

2 minutes ago, claremont said:

Not sure  I like the LW Pelletier deal - he's another smurf at 5-9, 165 lbs cap friendly, some sites suggest 5-10 and 170 lbs. Calgary also has Connor Zary a centre but he has not progressed with any trajectory. I think Toff has more value to us than that.

Kupari (20th overall - 2018) strikes me as the better value - sizeable centre and some nhl playing experience. Kings have 3 solid centres in Kopitar, Danault (ouch!), Iafallo and Byfield (as their up and comer), so Kupari is getting squeezed and thus his value appears low but perhaps upside. Alex Turcotte - also a centre but at 5-11, 185 lbs (5th overall pick - 2019),  but don't get me started again on USNTDP, is another alternative in their lineup. Kings also have a nice RHD defenceman in Brandt Clarke (8th overall - 2021 draft) - He would also be a very nice LA trade piece- to me LA has the better shopping list for us. 

I don't know the prospects well enough but I do think while we're always looking for a #1 C or a compliment to Suzuki, we need help at RHD more than anywhere else

29 minutes ago, claremont said:

Yeah, agreed.  Pelletier is on the smallish side and although I agree that there is a place for some of those type of players, we have too many as it is,  and none are another MSL. Unless, Calgary ups the ante,  it appears LA would be a better trading partner at this time.  Again  if we trade Tofu, I  want more than fair market  value. Maybe  Kupari or Tucotte & Clarke for Tofu & 3rd?

I could be wrong but I don't think Tofu is going anywhere. Other teams can want what they want but we have him signed to a good deal he wants to be here he scores and Zuke and he seem to work well so I just don't see why we would move him when we have other less useful players to get rid of.

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Agreed by and large. Not impressed by Calgary's prospect pool, whereas LA's is more impressive. Clarke would be a nice piece to acquire and fits the need for a RHD prospect. They actually have a wealth of RHD in their prospect pool, so they may be willing to part with one. They have another interesting RHD from Sweden named Helge Grans, who was drafted 35th overall in 2020, so is a year older (something Hughes said interested him) and also has good size, speed, and skill. Maybe less top-end offensive potential than Clarke, but still a guy with top 4 potential.

The other thing to consider is that LA has Bergevin whispering in Rob Blake's ear, and he probably thinks highly of players like Toffoli, Gallagher, Petry, Price, etc. So would he overpay for one of them and would he even consider going after Gallagher and reuniting him and Danault? Not sure LA parts with Clarke given they're still not a legit contender quite yet, but I think a package around Grans and Kupari could be of interest to us.

16 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed by and large. Not impressed by Calgary's prospect pool, whereas LA's is more impressive. Clarke would be a nice piece to acquire and fits the need for a RHD prospect. They actually have a wealth of RHD in their prospect pool, so they may be willing to part with one. They have another interesting RHD from Sweden named Helge Grans, who was drafted 35th overall in 2020, so is a year older (something Hughes said interested him) and also has good size, speed, and skill. Maybe less top-end offensive potential than Clarke, but still a guy with top 4 potential.

The other thing to consider is that LA has Bergevin whispering in Rob Blake's ear, and he probably thinks highly of players like Toffoli, Gallagher, Petry, Price, etc. So would he overpay for one of them and would he even consider going after Gallagher and reuniting him and Danault? Not sure LA parts with Clarke given they're still not a legit contender quite yet, but I think a package around Grans and Kupari could be of interest to us.

Very good supplement- Kings are a bubble playoff team this year, but Toffu or Gally etc does set them up with additional leadership with term and you have to figure that Kopitar, Doughty, Quick aren’t getting any younger so Rob Blake has to be thinking about a compete window of this year plus next 1-2. Brandt Clarke is likely heir apparent for Doughty so unlikely to be moved. Durzi also gives them RHD depth crowding so I like the Helge Grans additional piece - just MB likes his D size and may advise against it. 

5 hours ago, claremont said:

Don't forget Vilardi also a center, he also is getting pushed out in L.A. 

Some other thoughts on rumors...

- Pierre Lebrun mentions that Johnny Gaudreau (impending UFA) has the same agent that MSL had and that MSL was Gaudreau's idol growing up. Knowing MSL isn't afraid to play the little guys and go for a speed/offensive gameplan, is Montreal an attractive landing spot for Gaudreau perhaps?

- Ondrej Palat is a UFA after this season too and he played with St. Louis in Tampa.

- Derek Stepan is well past prime but has played reasonably well for Carolina this year. Could he be a veteran 4th line center add next year on a cheap 1-2 year deal? He too played with MSL in NY, as did Keith Yandle and Derick Brassard.

Not sure if those connections lead to anything, but all that to say that there are a number of veteran depth players out there, and if you were able to add a Gaudreau or a Palat, it makes players like Gallagher, Drouin, and Toffoli much more expendable in trades. So don't know if MSL and Hughes feel like they have some targets in free agency that they could use to turn the roster over.

If you look at where the Habs are at for next season, I'd count Anderson, Toffoli, Caufield, Gallagher, Drouin, Hoffman, and Ylonen as guys who can play the wing in the top 6-9. I'd count Lehkonen, Armia, Pitlick, Pezzetta, RHP, and Byron as guys who can play the bottom 6. At center, you have Suzuki in your top 6 and Dvorak, Evans, and Poehling in your bottom 6. There frankly isn't a need for all those players, and if you can trade some for assets, then you can easily make up the depth via free agency. To me, Drouin, Hoffman, and Armia are the most expendable, and I wouldn't mind dumping Gallagher's contract. Can Hughes find a way to move any of them for good returns though?

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Some other thoughts on rumors...

- Pierre Lebrun mentions that Johnny Gaudreau (impending UFA) has the same agent that MSL had and that MSL was Gaudreau's idol growing up. Knowing MSL isn't afraid to play the little guys and go for a speed/offensive gameplan, is Montreal an attractive landing spot for Gaudreau perhaps?

- Ondrej Palat is a UFA after this season too and he played with St. Louis in Tampa.

- Derek Stepan is well past prime but has played reasonably well for Carolina this year. Could he be a veteran 4th line center add next year on a cheap 1-2 year deal? He too played with MSL in NY, as did Keith Yandle and Derick Brassard.

Not sure if those connections lead to anything, but all that to say that there are a number of veteran depth players out there, and if you were able to add a Gaudreau or a Palat, it makes players like Gallagher, Drouin, and Toffoli much more expendable in trades. So don't know if MSL and Hughes feel like they have some targets in free agency that they could use to turn the roster over.

If you look at where the Habs are at for next season, I'd count Anderson, Toffoli, Caufield, Gallagher, Drouin, Hoffman, and Ylonen as guys who can play the wing in the top 6-9. I'd count Lehkonen, Armia, Pitlick, Pezzetta, RHP, and Byron as guys who can play the bottom 6. At center, you have Suzuki in your top 6 and Dvorak, Evans, and Poehling in your bottom 6. There frankly isn't a need for all those players, and if you can trade some for assets, then you can easily make up the depth via free agency. To me, Drouin, Hoffman, and Armia are the most expendable, and I wouldn't mind dumping Gallagher's contract. Can Hughes find a way to move any of them for good returns though?

Gaudreau will be 29 next year and will command $7M as a point a game producer and term and an NMC / NTC  limitation - IMO that would be a terrible LW addition - I certainly hope we don't even look at free agents for the next 2 years of any significant value or term - build our cap space as a weapon. As far as the MSL additions - he should be paid to coach with minimal player input - let Hughes and Gorton do their job of recruiting. 

FWIW, a good team IMO needs to add at least 3 rookies into it's roster each year to maintain a development path. Guhle is a lock, then you have RW Ylonen, LW Joshua Roy, LHD Norlinder, LW/RW Rafael Harvey Pinard, (small but gritty possible Lehks replacement), all competing for spots. G - Primeau still doesn't look ready. Who knows on Jordan Harris, injury plagued Josh Brook, Xhekaj is muscle so I don't count on them. Farrell will return for another year at Harvard, same with Luke Tuch. Jan Mysak doing great in Hamilton but is AHL bound. There's no one in Laval that excites me. Kidney, Kapanen and most other prospects are still too young. I would love to see Jayden Struble in Laval. 

On the 2nd year / 3rd year player development, we have some good youth in Pitlick, Poehling, Evans, Clague, Pezzetta for some grit and Caufield and Romanov are staples.

For me assuming Chiarot / Kulak are gone, the most expendable for value is Lehkonen (previous rumor - NYR). Then, it's toss some crumbs in the air to see what value Hughes could get - I agree Hoffman and Armia are square pegs in the round hole - take up space on our wings. If we can get value for Gallagher, Byron I am ok with that. Personally I would like to hang on to Toffoli, and Drouin (I hear some groans....), Dvorak for another year, and Anderson is an untouchable for me.  

29 minutes ago, claremont said:

Gaudreau will be 29 next year and will command $7M as a point a game producer and term and an NMC / NTC  limitation - IMO that would be a terrible LW addition - I certainly hope we don't even look at free agents for the next 2 years of any significant value or term - build our cap space as a weapon. As far as the MSL additions - he should be paid to coach with minimal player input - let Hughes and Gorton do their job of recruiting. 

FWIW, a good team IMO needs to add at least 3 rookies into it's roster each year to maintain a development path. Guhle is a lock, then you have RW Ylonen, LW Joshua Roy, LHD Norlinder, LW/RW Rafael Harvey Pinard, (small but gritty possible Lehks replacement), all competing for spots. G - Primeau still doesn't look ready. Who knows on Jordan Harris, injury plagued Josh Brook, Xhekaj is muscle so I don't count on them. Farrell will return for another year at Harvard, same with Luke Tuch. Jan Mysak doing great in Hamilton but is AHL bound. There's no one in Laval that excites me. Kidney, Kapanen and most other prospects are still too young. I would love to see Jayden Struble in Laval. 

On the 2nd year / 3rd year player development, we have some good youth in Pitlick, Poehling, Evans, Clague, Pezzetta for some grit and Caufield and Romanov are staples.

For me assuming Chiarot / Kulak are gone, the most expendable for value is Lehkonen (previous rumor - NYR). Then, it's toss some crumbs in the air to see what value Hughes could get - I agree Hoffman and Armia are square pegs in the round hole - take up space on our wings. If we can get value for Gallagher, Byron I am ok with that. Personally I would like to hang on to Toffoli, and Drouin (I hear some groans....), Dvorak for another year, and Anderson is an untouchable for me.  

Wouldn't trade Toffoli or Gally,  Solid Pros who work hard.  Right Character to build around.   Petry, Hoffman,Savard, Armia,Drouin,Price,Paquette,Perrault, Kulak,Wideman can all go even if it is just to get out of Contracts.   I would ask Chariot if he wants to stay. Another good character guy. If he is Ok to similar deal as he has now I would extend him.  If not Trade  him too.

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Not personally saying I would want Gaudreau, just that the connection was floated by Pierre Lebrun and that signing him would allow you to move another player out for assets.I also wouldn't pay Gaudreau 7M a year, but if we're able to trade Drouin and Gallagher for a multitude of picks and prospects and then sign Gaudreau to a reasonable deal to fill a void, then the balance of those moves might make sense.

On some of the other forwards:

- Byron has little value right now having been out for so long. But seeing as we're not likely to be a Cup challenger next year, he's a guy you could keep around for leadership now, hope he re-establishes value, and then deal next trade deadline, when his value will be highest as an expiring-contract veteran. I think that's the best play there. No reason to rush trading him now.

- Gallagher is heading into a bad contract but still has value for the next few years, so I think there are teams willing to eat that contract down the line in exchange for a few good playoff runs up front. I'd try to trade him as soon as I got a good deal, although that could be more the off-season than in-season.

- I'd also hang on to Anderson and I see little impetus to trade Toffoli unless the deal blows me away. Yeah, if we can get Brandt Clarke, I'm there. But I'm not dealing him for a package of middle-tier prospects and players. He's on a good contract, he's still productive, he's still under 30, and he works well with Suzuki. He'll be value for the next two years he's signed and he'll still be tradeable in a year or two if we choose to go that route down the line.

- Drouin IMO should be dealt. He's not going to be anything more than what he is now, and while I do think fans underrate him here because they still expect him to have become a 1st line player, he's a quality 2nd liner who can put up 40-50 points a year and is one of the few guys who can carry the puck through the neutral zone. He has value. I don't believe he's a great fit for the locker room though and I don't see him re-signing here when his contract expires in a year and a half, so I think his value is highest now to a team like Colorado or Washington or Pittsburgh who can add secondary scoring and get two playoff runs out of him rather than one.

- Hoffman is dead weight. He's a great shooter and otherwise brings little to the table. He's a guy I'd try to dump for whatever I can whenever I can and it looks like MSL doesn't value him much either.

- Lehkonen is a high-value depth player and maybe our most consistent performer all season, with the best advanced stats on the team. We could easily re-sign him, but as I've posted previously, we don't really need to sign 3rd/4th liners to more 4M contracts and that's what it'll take to keep him long-term, since he only has one more year of team control before he can achieve UFA status. I think his value is high right now, so I'm trading him if the return is there.

- Armia has little value now, so we're stuck with him, but I do think he can re-establish value.

- Dvorak is a player I don't love, but I think he can be better than what he's shown this year. So if you get an offer from a team that values him based on what he did in Arizona, I'd rather take it and move on. If you don't get the offer you want, you keep him, you try to add a real 2C in the off-season and you play Dvorak as a 3C and try to show he has value in that role before dealing him.

For THIS trade deadline, the forwards who I would be trying hardest to move if I'm Hughes would be Drouin, Gallagher, and Lehkonen, and if someone offers to take Hoffman or Armia I'd part with them too. If I get a great offer for Dvorak, bye. The ones I'm keeping to build around over the next 2-3 years are Suzuki, Caufield, Ylonen, Anderson, Evans, Poehling, and Toffoli. Hopefully, we can find a way to add some other young NHL-ready parts back in trades to complement that gang.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

To me, Drouin, Hoffman, and Armia are the most expendable, and I wouldn't mind dumping Gallagher's contract. Can Hughes find a way to move any of them for good returns though?

If Kent Hughes could get rid of all of them, plus the UFA's, that would be huge.

Play by play man Dan Robertson says trade talk on Chiarot has heated up and that LA and Calgary could be potential destinations. As discussed regarding Toffoli, LA is a better fit for us in terms of the prospect pool they have.

At the same time, Toronto is struggling big time with their D corps and fans are all over Muzzin and Holl for stinking it up. Wonder if they are looking for D help.

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

At the same time, Toronto is struggling big time with their D corps and fans are all over Muzzin and Holl for stinking it up. Wonder if they are looking for D help.

They are.  But, what do they have? Topi Niemelä? Would they move him? We have to think about getting a D back.

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

They are.  But, what do they have? Topi Niemelä? Would they move him? We have to think about getting a D back.

It would be a new era trading with the laffs - only prospects of interest for me are LW Nick Robertson (53rd overall small sniper) , LW Matthew Knies (57th - 2021 - a banger with some size), and your RHD Topi Niemela (64th - 2020 and a puck mover). They had a top draft pick from a couple of years ago LW Rodion Amirov (15th overall - 2020), but he has hardly played for whatever reason in past seasons, and the KHL is shutdown. Given MB's issues in prying Romanov out of Russia, I think drafting Russians who play over there has risks. Finnish C - Roni Hirvonen (2020 - 59th overall), is a smallish centre. 

Harry Potter Dubas has said he wants players with term, so I don't think Chiarot is destined for Toronto, besides Ben has a 10 team NTC so he's not going to waive that to come to Loserville

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Play by play man Dan Robertson says trade talk on Chiarot has heated up and that LA and Calgary could be potential destinations. As discussed regarding Toffoli, LA is a better fit for us in terms of the prospect pool they have.

Offer the Leafs Chairot and Petry for Nylander. Retain half of Chairots cap hit,  Maybe if Leafs  defensive woes continue to escalate between now and  trade deadline they  will bite. If Petry  won't go offer Chariot ,Kulak, and Drouin instead.