The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

H_T_L

56 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

ugh do we want to go down there ?

https://awinninghabit.com/2022/04/27/montreal-canadiens-russian-star-andrei-kuzmenko-choose-habs/

Montreal Canadiens: Could Russian Star Andrei Kuzmenko Choose Habs?

34 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

It worked out pretty well for Minnesota! Could be a possible another Kovalev?

16 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I don't want to start a political disucssion but Id rather not draft any players from " that country "  .  

Call it a sanction 

As a business, I think you look at every asset & evaluate.  I know nothing about Kuzmenko -20 goals and 53 points in 45 games in the KHL sounds pretty good but scoring is just one part of the game & we've seen plenty of players who are great in the KHL or AHL (in many ways very similar leagues) who end up being so-so in the NHL.  Im not saying Kuzmenko would be either way, as i mentioned, I know nothing about him - maybe he's the next panarin -  but i hope that HuGo do their due diligence if they are in fact looking at him.

In terms of the Russian angle. Its a fair consideration.  I feel for the average Russian - people are people and most would not condone what is happening if they werent being spoon fed propaganda about it but at the same time, sanctions only really work if they affect everything so I can totally see why you'd want to steer clear of Russian born players Regis. 

28 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I don't want to start a political disucssion but Id rather not draft any players from " that country "  .  

Call it a sanction 

He is not draft eligible he is a 26 year old KHL player looking to play in the NHL next season. It is no different than resigning Romanov next season.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

He is not draft eligible he is a 26 year old KHL player looking to play in the NHL next season. It is no different than resigning Romanov next season.

Kind of reminds me of the Radulov signing - we paid big $ for him for 1 year where he proved himself prior to moving on to his Dallas Stars deal. 
I would rather draft a young Russian, wait for development and have some RFA control. With our messy cap of some bad contracts, our “rebuild / reset “ process, it just doesn’t seem to be the right time for free agent additions regardless of nationality - pass 

17 hours ago, claremont said:

Kind of reminds me of the Radulov signing - we paid big $ for him for 1 year where he proved himself prior to moving on to his Dallas Stars deal. 
I would rather draft a young Russian, wait for development and have some RFA control. With our messy cap of some bad contracts, our “rebuild / reset “ process, it just doesn’t seem to be the right time for free agent additions regardless of nationality - pass 

Agreed.

I don't think signing Kuzmenko is gonna change our fortunes next season. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sure he's going to look for a short-term deal to prove himself. After that, would he even consider staying with Montreal? Probably not.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive read a couple of (unsubstantiated) rumours claiming we will be pursuing Malkin this off-season. First of all, considering we dont even know who we will be picking in the draft, this seems very premature. If we take Wright, for example, we should be set at centre & while Malkin would be our best centre for a year or two, it seems like an awfully silly move to shore up a position where we are actually strong. 

Second, I cant imagine that Malkin, at 35 wants to go to a team like Montreal that is clearly in the middle of a rebuild or at least a retool.

My guess is that we have little to no interest in Malkin but that we might have interest in Letang if the price (ie, term) is right. I could see Hugo moving some wingers in and out but I doubt (if we draft Wright) if we go after any centres. 

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Ive read a couple of (unsubstantiated) rumours claiming we will be pursuing Malkin this off-season. First of all, considering we dont even know who we will be picking in the draft, this seems very premature. If we take Wright, for example, we should be set at centre & while Malkin would be our best centre for a year or two, it seems like an awfully silly move to shore up a position where we are actually strong. 

Second, I cant imagine that Malkin, at 35 wants to go to a team like Montreal that is clearly in the middle of a rebuild or at least a retool.

My guess is that we have little to no interest in Malkin but that we might have interest in Letang if the price (ie, term) is right. I could see Hugo moving some wingers in and out but I doubt (if we draft Wright) if we go after any centres. 

Totally agree - now is not the time for this type of move. I wouldn’t sign Letang unless Petry is moved - but incremental cap differential 

in reviewing Gordon’s style he seems to go after other teams emerging or undeveloped prospects. The major free agent acquisition he made was for Panarin at age 27 who was coming off a virtual 30g 60a season. Malkin signing doesn’t seem to fit his methodical history of acquiring youth with upside. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Maybe Malkin just doesn't want to go back to Russia at this time. 

14 hours ago, maas_art said:

I would guess there's less than a 1% chance of Malkin signing with Montreal this off-season. Just don't see it happening.

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would guess there's less than a 1% chance of Malkin signing with Montreal this off-season. Just don't see it happening.

You're right. He won't take 5M to play with Crosby.  We definitely couldn't fit him in here, with a probable losing team.

19 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Rumours that Mark Recchi in line for assistant coach ( to run the PP ) 

and 

Christian Dvorak is being shopped around 

Recchi:  The Patches comments aside, I liked Mark when he played here. He has some experience in Pitts and NJ. Assuming the rumour is true and that they are actually looking at other options rather than just keeping the guys we have, is a good sign.  Dont know how he'd do here, but id be open to seeing. Assistants are always tough to gauge. 

Dvorak:  I would assume that there's some potential value there in a trade.  He's young enough to still be a useful player for a while but he's not a core player so moving him now could be a decent option.  It also presumably means we're planning on drafting a centre.  I dont think they'd be shopping Dvorak if we were intending to draft Slav. 

33 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Recchi:  The Patches comments aside, I liked Mark when he played here. He has some experience in Pitts and NJ. Assuming the rumour is true and that they are actually looking at other options rather than just keeping the guys we have, is a good sign.  Dont know how he'd do here, but id be open to seeing. Assistants are always tough to gauge. 

Dvorak:  I would assume that there's some potential value there in a trade.  He's young enough to still be a useful player for a while but he's not a core player so moving him now could be a decent option.  It also presumably means we're planning on drafting a centre.  I dont think they'd be shopping Dvorak if we were intending to draft Slav. 

Can never have too many doctors on the bench.

DrRecchi_400x400.jpg

https://awinninghabit.com/2022/05/23/rumor-canadiens-dvorak/

Rumors have been building up around the Montreal Canadiens as of late. We earlier reported as per Jimmy Murphy of Montreal Hockey Now that Mark Recchi is reportedly a candidate for an assistant coach position, mainly taking care of the power play. Now it seems that player rumors are starting to heat up and one involves Christian Dvorak. Jimmy Murphy is once again the one who reported the rumor.

There’s been chatter in NHL trade rumours and amongst some NHL scouts to Montreal Hockey Now that the Canadiens are trying to move Dvorak, who has three years left on a contract that carries a $4.4 million cap hit. The urgency to move Dvorak now results from the fact that he has a modified no-trade clause in the final two seasons of that contract. – Jimmy Murphy, Montreal Hockey Now

The rumor was sneakily put into the article as Murphy suggests the Canadiens should looking into acquiring pending restricted free agent Kirby Dach from the Chicago Blackhawks. Murphy argues that while the Canadiens don’t have an enticing package that would rival the Bruins player wise, the Canadiens do have an extra asset that the Blackhawks don’t possess and that’s a 1st round draft pick for the upcoming draft. Chicago’s pick was traded in the Seth Jones trade.

While it’s understandable that there’s an urgency to shed cap space due to the pending LTIR drama that Shea Weber and Carey Price will create this summer, Dvorak’s no trade clause doesn’t kick in before the 2023-24 season and requires him to submit an 8 team no trade list.

59 minutes ago, habsisme said:

saw something on youtube about Kirby Dach possibly being availbale. I would definitely kick the tires on that

26 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

https://awinninghabit.com/2022/05/23/rumor-canadiens-dvorak/

Rumors have been building up around the Montreal Canadiens as of late. We earlier reported as per Jimmy Murphy of Montreal Hockey Now that Mark Recchi is reportedly a candidate for an assistant coach position, mainly taking care of the power play. Now it seems that player rumors are starting to heat up and one involves Christian Dvorak. Jimmy Murphy is once again the one who reported the rumor.

There’s been chatter in NHL trade rumours and amongst some NHL scouts to Montreal Hockey Now that the Canadiens are trying to move Dvorak, who has three years left on a contract that carries a $4.4 million cap hit. The urgency to move Dvorak now results from the fact that he has a modified no-trade clause in the final two seasons of that contract. – Jimmy Murphy, Montreal Hockey Now

The rumor was sneakily put into the article as Murphy suggests the Canadiens should looking into acquiring pending restricted free agent Kirby Dach from the Chicago Blackhawks. Murphy argues that while the Canadiens don’t have an enticing package that would rival the Bruins player wise, the Canadiens do have an extra asset that the Blackhawks don’t possess and that’s a 1st round draft pick for the upcoming draft. Chicago’s pick was traded in the Seth Jones trade.

While it’s understandable that there’s an urgency to shed cap space due to the pending LTIR drama that Shea Weber and Carey Price will create this summer, Dvorak’s no trade clause doesn’t kick in before the 2023-24 season and requires him to submit an 8 team no trade list.

Dach is an interesting prospect. He's underperformed so far but has had injury troubles so some of that could just be development time.  The suggestion of our other 1st (Calgary's) is interest.  

Dvorak is young enough you might actually be able to package them & do something like:

Dvorak + Calgary's 1st

for

Dach + 3rd

I normally wouldnt have interest in moving our second 1st but Dach is a player id be quite interested in. 

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Dach is an interesting prospect. He's underperformed so far but has had injury troubles so some of that could just be development time.  The suggestion of our other 1st (Calgary's) is interest.  

Dvorak is young enough you might actually be able to package them & do something like:

Dvorak + Calgary's 1st

for

Dach + 3rd

I normally wouldnt have interest in moving our second 1st but Dach is a player id be quite interested in. 

yeah and apparently Chicago is really trying to win now, so they may want more current roster players rather than futures, which is great for us

While its true we're likely drafting a center (Wright), its unlikely we're banking on him being a regular next year quite yet.    Shopping Dvorak would indicate they have another solution for center (I presume running with Suzuki/Evan/Poehling as the top 3 and signing a 4th line C).   

Dvorak is interesting regardless, he's 26 and hasn't lived up to his Junior potential.  So despite the poor year, there's a chance another GM takes a bite in the hopes he's just a late bloomer.

11 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

While its true we're likely drafting a center (Wright), its unlikely we're banking on him being a regular next year quite yet.    Shopping Dvorak would indicate they have another solution for center (I presume running with Suzuki/Evan/Poehling as the top 3 and signing a 4th line C).   

I think they (Hugo) would think some combination of suzuki - evans - poehling - wright would be enough but you're right they may consider a 1-2 year UFA signing, or a trade for someone almost done their contract too.  We do have a couple of wingers (Pitlick, Drouin, Byron) who can play centre too, assuming none are traded.

Or HuGo just thinks next year is a right-off  - doubt it though - i think they at least want to enter the year trying to be competitive. 

11 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Dvorak is interesting regardless, he's 26 and hasn't lived up to his Junior potential.  So despite the poor year, there's a chance another GM takes a bite in the hopes he's just a late bloomer.

I agree. If anyone has closely followed him they know he's had a lot of bumps along the way too.  I still believe he's got a 60+ point season in him even though he's been scoring at more of a 40-50 point pace.  I could see a GM taking a gamble.  Im not sure if Chicago is that team but especially an organization that wanted to draft him but were unable to, may still have interest.. 

14 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Plan on tanking again ....lol

Dvorak + Calgary's 1st

for

Dach + 3rd

I think we'd be giving up too much here. Why?

- The value for Dvorak was recently established as being a 1st and a 2nd, as per our trade with Arizona. Most pundits don't seem to think his value dropped all that much over the past year and there were rumors a lot of Western conference teams thought he could get back to form. He had one down year, possibly explained by bad coaching, and he has one less year left on his contract. So less commitment and long-term risk.

- The value for Dach was almost set by our Kotkaniemi offersheet. A 1st and a 3rd. Dach is also a recent 3rd overall pick who has played well for stretches but struggled a bit to progress on schedule overall. Sounds familiar?

So if I were to substitute those values into your deal, it would be like giving up two 1st's and a 2nd for a 1st and two 3rd's. Now maybe that seems a bit backwards, because to me, Dach has more value than Dvorak, but saying it out loud just makes you realize how bad a trade-off MB made in swapping Kotkaniemi for Dvorak. Nevertheless, that's what the market has kind of set. I'd be find trading Calgary's 1st and a 3rd rounder for Dach and then making a separate deal to offload Dvorak if Chicago isn't interested in that price. I think teams like Minnesota, Dallas, Vancouver, Winnipeg, or Anaheim could all potentially have interest.