The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

UFA signings

H_T_L

Renaud Lavoie: I don't think Mike Hoffman or a winger is Bergevin's priority. The Habs did fine in the playoffs with no Drouin and no Tatar. They want to bolster the center spot and that's where they want to spend their money. It's not a priority to give Hoffman 5M dollars.

23 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

MB: I saw a lot of player signing with players who likely won't make the playoffs. Savard wanted to come somewhere he could be competitive and win.

(Big ballsy statement for a fringe playoff team)

A fringe playoff team that is arguably worse right now than it was during the last season.

One interesting thing about Phillip Danault signing with L.A. In Montreal, he openly admitted he saw Nick Suzuki and Jesperi Kotkaniemi coming and feared his role would be diminished. And now he signs with a team where Quinton Byfield and Alex Turcotte are most definitely coming.

43 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

MB: we made an offer to Corey Perry, we're waiting to hear back from him. We wish we could give him more but with some players, you need to set limits. We didn't make an offer to Tatar but we're open to looking at him again if he can't find a deal elsewhere.

Someone needs to let MB know that saying less is OK . There's no need for the extra little comments 

3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

One interesting thing about Phillip Danault signing with L.A. In Montreal, he openly admitted he saw Nick Suzuki and Jesperi Kotkaniemi coming and feared his role would be diminished. And now he signs with a team where Quinton Byfield and Alex Turcotte are most definitely coming.

But also. Warmer weather? :lol:

50 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

MB: we brought in David Savard to replace Shea Weber and we see ourselves as having the type of D corps that got us to the finals.

(This is bad. This means that he saw his D corps as a strength, which it wasn't and that he wants to replicate it, which he shouldn't, and that he sees Savard as of the same ilk as Weber and his solution to the top 4, which is very very very bad. Also, cannot emphasize how bad this is. He literally plans on going with Ed, Chiarot, and Savard in his top 4 together).

Haha tell us what you really think :lol:

(I agree, by the way.  God forbid Petry ever gets hurt this season)

Playoffs must be over, as the doom and gloomers  are back out in full force. Players are not falling out of the sky super ready to play for the Habs. This is pretty much what I expected from today. When Weber is ready to go around the new year we will be looking pretty good. This is only one day, lot can happen before the season starts. But I wouldn’t count on it. 

3 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Playoffs must be over, as the doom and gloomers  are back out in full force. Players are not falling out of the sky super ready to play for the Habs. This is pretty much what I expected from today. When Weber is ready to go around the new year we will be looking pretty good. This is only one day, lot can happen before the season starts. But I wouldn’t count on it. 

yeah for me it was hamilton or bust, there's nothing to get excited about here sadly

8 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Has there been any update that Weber will play at some point next year?  Or is that just wishful thinking?

Just now, Manatee-X said:

Has there been any update that Weber will play at some point next year?  Or is that just wishful thinking?

they said he was likely done for his career. I guess there is still some hope he plays in the playoffs but its unlikely right now

Evans can become a number two ahead JK if necessary the worry there is his concussion history. It would have been nice to add a little more depth up the middle, but that is why we have a team in Laval. The goaltending is hopefully a little better if Price's surgery is a success. If Kulak can develop a little more skill and nastiness in his own end the backend should be okay. We were pretty successful with Weber rarely using his big shot last year. Savard looked good a couple of years ago, but his TOI has been  about 20 minutes a night compared to Weber's 24. Some of that is Weber's usage on the PP. SO Burrows will have to work some magic on the PP. If we can have a surprise or two out of training camp it will be interesting. Tampa has lost some pieces, the Leafs look a little weaker losing Hyman and Andersen (and their the Leafs), and the Bruins have lost some depth as well. So I think we have comparatively improved our place in the standings within the division.

25 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah for me it was hamilton or bust, there's nothing to get excited about here sadly

There was not another option on the UFA market that would have made our D corps legitimate. I would still like to see him go after Vince Dunn via trade. They like defensive guys on expiring contracts, so give them Chiarot for Dunn. It makes more sense for us to pair Dunn-Savard than Chiarot-Savard.

3 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Not sure I like this one. Hoffman has been a little overrated in my mind, but he may be a good fit for some of the speedy forwards we currently have.

Not sure we needed to spend on him but he should at least help the PP. Nice to have an offensive weapon.

4 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Not sure I like this one. Hoffman has been a little overrated in my mind, but he may be a good fit for some of the speedy forwards we currently have.

If he scores 20+ goals, and keeps his minus at a reasonable number, it's a win. Otherwise,  could be another Skinner., albeit,  not as bad financially.  Hopefully,  no trade protection. 

2 minutes ago, electron58 said:

If he scores 20+ goals, and keeps his minus at a reasonable number, it's a win. Otherwise,  could be another Skinner., albeit,  not as bad financially.  Hopefully,  no trade protection. 

Could you imagine a how much of a scoring threat Hoffman-Suzuki-Caufield will be?

2 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Maybe not. If they don't get Hamilton, they may have to trade for a #2 or #3 D, and hopefully,  use Drouin & Kulak & draft choices.

Agreed. I think they're going to use Drouin, Kulak, and maybe Lehkonen, Byron, or Kotkaniemi as trade chips. I would put the odds of Drouin lining up here on opening night at 20%.

• H_T_L changed the title to UFA signings
  • H_T_L locked this topic