Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Armia


maas_art
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Not bad. A little higher than i would have liked to have gone but he's still fairly young so the chances of this contract looking bad in a few years are slim.  

Pretty much the same thought. I don't think it's an unrealistic contract and after the playoffs he had, he almost certainly would have fetched more on the open market. As it stands right now, I have Caufield and Toffoli lining up on the left, which leaves an opening for Armia to play in the top 9. Barring that, he could be a force with a duo like Poehling-Ylonen on the 4th line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 he could be a force with a duo like Poehling-Ylonen on the 4th line.

I have this sneaking suspicion that our 4th line will be Armia - Getzlaf - Perry. 

I just think Perry REALLY wants to come back & management really wants him & probably said "who would you like to have if you could pick a centre that will come cheaply" and well... 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I have this sneaking suspicion that our 4th line will be Armia - Getzlaf - Perry. 

I just think Perry REALLY wants to come back & management really wants him & probably said "who would you like to have if you could pick a centre that will come cheaply" and well... 

 

 

Maybe, but...

1. Perry played well last year and may want a raise that the Habs don't want to give him (or can't afford)

2. Perry might value winning a Cup over being here, especially if Weber is out, Danault and Tatar are gone, etc. He might see us as being re-building somewhat and/or might want to see what we do in free agency first (e.g. do we get Hamilton?).

3. He and Getzlaf may tagteam and go to the same team elsewhere. Getzlaf has been rumored to be interested in Boston and Nashville and NY Rangers and might prefer to stay in the US. So it could also work the other way and we see Getzlaf lure Perry out as opposed to Perry luring Getzlaf here.

That said, I also put that duo out there as being a possible match for the Habs and I think it would be an option. I'm also not 100% sure they don't keep Evans on the wing and/or use that Getzlaf line as a 3rd line and an Evans line with Byron and Lehkonen as a 4th (or 3A and 3B).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Maybe, but...

1. Perry played well last year and may want a raise that the Habs don't want to give him (or can't afford)

2. Perry might value winning a Cup over being here, especially if Weber is out, Danault and Tatar are gone, etc. He might see us as being re-building somewhat and/or might want to see what we do in free agency first (e.g. do we get Hamilton?).

3. He and Getzlaf may tagteam and go to the same team elsewhere. Getzlaf has been rumored to be interested in Boston and Nashville and NY Rangers and might prefer to stay in the US. So it could also work the other way and we see Getzlaf lure Perry out as opposed to Perry luring Getzlaf here.

That said, I also put that duo out there as being a possible match for the Habs and I think it would be an option. I'm also not 100% sure they don't keep Evans on the wing and/or use that Getzlaf line as a 3rd line and an Evans line with Byron and Lehkonen as a 4th (or 3A and 3B).

1, True

2. I think he thinks we can win again with this group but maybe

3. Also true.  I just know Perry was a habs fan growing up but perhaps Getzlaf really wants to play in TO or Boston or  Vancouver or something. Who knows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Happy with this extension Armia is one of those players you can move around in a pinch that won't hurt you! and his stick is made out of velcro.

Agree. A very useful player & we only have him signed through what should be pretty much prime years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's the same contract we gave Byron, albeit Byron will be older at the end of his deal than Armia at the end of his. And whereas Byron was a bit of a flash in the pan offensively and hasn't reproduced his high shooting percentages and hasn't been the same since his concussion, Armia has actually gotten better since he arrived in Montreal IMO. His playoffs this past year were his peak performance and we actually saw how badly Perry and Staal played without him and then came back to life with him. He's a great puck protector, great in the corners, and strong on the PK, so he has value that isn't likely to drop off too much over time (whereas we could have predicted using advanced stats that Byron's puck luck would regress).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad to have him back, we really noticed the playoff game when he was missing. The price seems a little steep (a lot of those mid-range deals to bottom-six players don't end up looking great in hindsight), but worst-case we're slightly over paying (which granted, can add up into problems), but at this time at least I don't mind the move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Happy with this extension Armia is one of those players you can move around in a pinch that won't hurt you! and his stick is made out of velcro.

Good utility power forward - he seems a good fit on the team and only a slight overpay - imo by maybe $400k. You know what you get with Joel vs gambling on some other replacement 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Happy with this extension Armia is one of those players you can move around in a pinch that won't hurt you! and his stick is made out of velcro.

Agreed. If healthy can easily be a 20 goal man. He plays smart, creates a lot of space for his line mates and is excellent on the PK creating scoring chances. Well worth the price but the term may be a year too long. Either way a player we needed to sign.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L changed the title to Armia
  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...