22 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

This would be the Habs' line-up of players currently out/injured/sick:

Price

Edmundson-Petry

Niku-Weber

Brook

Toffoli-Dvorak-Gallagher

Armia-Byron-Anderson

It's a toss-up as to whether this line-up is better than the one we're still icing.

That defense features arguably our 3 best defensmen under contract so I think we're well ahead there.   At forward, aside from Suzuki, thats at least 4 of our top 6 forwards... Yeah, i think our IR is better than our healthy squad.  

The plus side is that htis season is already lost.  At least we're not having these kinds of disastrous injuries in a year that we'd otherwise be competing! 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

That defense features arguably our 3 best defensmen under contract so I think we're well ahead there.   At forward, aside from Suzuki, thats at least 4 of our top 6 forwards... Yeah, i think our IR is better than our healthy squad.  

The plus side is that htis season is already lost.  At least we're not having these kinds of disastrous injuries in a year that we'd otherwise be competing! 

It's pretty close... on paper Price is better than Allen, but Allen outplayed Price in the regular season last year and he's been good this year too.

On D, it's clear our best guys are out, although Chiarot this year has been as good as Edmundson last year and Kulak and Romanov have both been good at times too.

Up front, my personal opinion is that our best forwards in order have been Suzuki, Toffoli, Drouin, Anderson, Gallagher, and Evans. And I'd pop Hoffman, Poehling, Caufield, Armia, and Lehkonen up in some order ahead of Dvorak, who I think has been disappointing to say the least. Not sure if you were referring to him as a top 6 forward or Armia or if you were merely referring to where they play in the line-up. FWIW in my view, our 2nd, 4th, and 5th best forwards were out but I think I'd rather ice the team that has the better center in Suzuki, along with Evans and then Drouin, CC, and Hoffman on the wing rather than Dvorak at center with Anderson, Gallagher, and Toffoli at wing.

So for me, better forward group still left but worse at D and higher ceiling at goalie on IR than in the line-up.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

It's pretty close... on paper Price is better than Allen, but Allen outplayed Price in the regular season last year and he's been good this year too.

On D, it's clear our best guys are out, although Chiarot this year has been as good as Edmundson last year and Kulak and Romanov have both been good at times too.

Up front, my personal opinion is that our best forwards in order have been Suzuki, Toffoli, Drouin, Anderson, Gallagher, and Evans. And I'd pop Hoffman, Poehling, Caufield, Armia, and Lehkonen up in some order ahead of Dvorak, who I think has been disappointing to say the least. Not sure if you were referring to him as a top 6 forward or Armia or if you were merely referring to where they play in the line-up. FWIW in my view, our 2nd, 4th, and 5th best forwards were out but I think I'd rather ice the team that has the better center in Suzuki, along with Evans and then Drouin, CC, and Hoffman on the wing rather than Dvorak at center with Anderson, Gallagher, and Toffoli at wing.

So for me, better forward group still left but worse at D and higher ceiling at goalie on IR than in the line-up.

I agree with most of this although Dvorak has been better lately after a slow start. He has made into the top 5 on the team for points and looked like he was rounding into shape.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:42 PM, ramcharger440 said:

I agree with most of this although Dvorak has been better lately after a slow start. He has made into the top 5 on the team for points and looked like he was rounding into shape.

He's definitely improved. That said, a couple of his points came on empty net goals and I still don't find like he plays with much intensity.

4 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah other than Pez there is not much of that on this team this season!

I'd say Evans, Anderson, Romanov, Allen, maybe Chiarot or Poehling... there are a few guys who look like they've put in effort pretty consistently. Doesn't mean they haven't made mistakes, but they look engaged nightly. Can't say the same for Dvorak or a number of others unfortunately.

32 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd say Evans, Anderson, Romanov, Allen, maybe Chiarot or Poehling... there are a few guys who look like they've put in effort pretty consistently. Doesn't mean they haven't made mistakes, but they look engaged nightly. Can't say the same for Dvorak or a number of others unfortunately.

& Lehkonen.  Everybody always forgets Lehky.

15 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Toffoli to undergo hand surgery. Out 2 months. 

Nobody likes to see mounting injuries- the hard part is that if Toffoli may not want to be part of the rebuild, his trade chip potential is now reduced. 
my preference is to keep him if he’s vested in staying with the team and rebuild 

They're dropping like flies.

The Canadiens also announced Saturday that forward Jake Evans was injured during the first period of Thursday’s 2-0 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks at the Bell Centre and will be re-evaluated daily.

The Canadiens announced Wednesday that centre Christian Dvorak will be out indefinitely with a lower-body injury.  Dvorak had already missed the last three games with the injury. The Canadiens said he will be monitored daily moving forward, but there is no timetable for his return. In 27 games this season, Dvorak has 5-7-12 totals and is minus-13.

The Canadiens also announced that Brendan Gallagher and Sami Niku are no longer in the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol, but they did not take part in Wednesday’s practice at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard. The Canadiens added that Gallagher and Niku, who entered COVID protocol on Dec. 2, will participate in “graded return to exercise” and are expected to rejoin the team later this week.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, maas_art said:

"dont -get-injured-before-we-trade-you-itis"

Boat may have sailed on trading Gally. Not sure his contract has much value around the League. Not saying he has no value, but at this point in his career he's becoming more of a Cap vs asset issue.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Boat may have sailed on trading Gally. Not sure his contract has much value around the League. Not saying he has no value, but at this point in his career he's becoming more of a Cap vs asset issue.

This. As with CP, BG should have been traded, rather than signed. His contract will be an albatross.

5 hours ago, H_T_L said:

The Athletic did a piece about the Habs trade commodities and whether certain guys would be tradeable. The short version is that several scouts they interviewed across the league thought Gallagher and Price would both be tradeable. Obviously, the return might not be fantastic in all trades but the thought was that there would be at least a couple of teams willing to pay for each one because they'd see them as a fit that could put them over the top.  So it sounds like there could still be a market for them. They also seemed to think Toffoli would be a guy to bring a return, whereas Hoffman seemed to have little to no value.

I think Gallagher still has value. He's on his tenth season in the league and had 14 goals in 35 games last season. 22 from 59 the year before. 33 goals and 31 goals in the years before that. No one will question his work ethic. I think he's someone teams would still see value in despite the contact running 'til 2026-27.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:16 AM, H_T_L said:

On 12/31/2021 at 3:05 PM, BigTed3 said:

The Athletic did a piece about the Habs trade commodities and whether certain guys would be tradeable. The short version is that several scouts they interviewed across the league thought Gallagher and Price would both be tradeable. Obviously, the return might not be fantastic in all trades but the thought was that there would be at least a couple of teams willing to pay for each one because they'd see them as a fit that could put them over the top.  So it sounds like there could still be a market for them. They also seemed to think Toffoli would be a guy to bring a return, whereas Hoffman seemed to have little to no value.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:35 AM, jennifer_rocket said:

I think Gallagher still has value. He's on his tenth season in the league and had 14 goals in 35 games last season. 22 from 59 the year before. 33 goals and 31 goals in the years before that. No one will question his work ethic. I think he's someone teams would still see value in despite the contact running 'til 2026-27.

Yeah I agree with the idea that Gallagher is still an asset.   Honestly almost anyone can be an asset if used properly.  Heck Shea Weber is an asset - if only to the Predators. 

I think that Price is a luke-warm asset "as is" but a strong asset if you retain salary.  Gallagher may be too, although I think you could likely get a young player & pick for him without retaining salary. Sure, the risk is with us since the young player is probably not blue chip so if he/pick doenst work out then we lose an asset for nothing, but really, what do we have to lose at this point. He's not going to be a long-term asset for us. 

My hope is that Gorton  & co are looking at this roster very seriously and making some tough decisions.  Does Toffoli fit into our long term plans? Gallagher? Price? Petry? Drouin? Dvorak? Etc? 

If not, then its time to cut ties & get what we can for them. Im not suggesting we trade everyone. Dvorak for example would be trading very low right now but maybe a team wants a gally. Maybe they want Toffoli or Drouin or Petry.  Who knows.  Id be putting out feelers on anyone i dont see as a key part of this team in 2 - 3 years. 

• H_T_L locked this topic