The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Clean house. Bergevin, Timmins, Wilson Terminated

habsisme

New Contract?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel MB deserves a new contract?

• Yes,,, he's earned it.
    • Absolutely not,,, he hasn't earned it.
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

29 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Sakic's vision after Roy left was going no where. It wasn't until Sakic took Roy vision as his own that the team turned around. Roy said Duchesne and Barrie were too soft and needed to be traded. Once Sakic adopted this view the team turned around. If Sakic had listened to Roy earlier then the team wouldn't have had to tank for 2 or 3 years, they could have kept building on what they already had.

Yes Varly was pretty average about equal to Allen that year. The year before Roy became coach the Avs finished very low in the standings, the couple if years after he left they were bad again. Like I said above Sakic had to adopt Roy's vision to turn things around.

:rolleyes:

He's had 5 years to find another head coaching job in the NHL . 

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

He's had 5 years to find another head coaching job in the NHL . 

He didn't want to be coach he wanted to be GM. It makes no sense to take another coaching job when you want to be a GM. He took the smarter route of getting experience albeit minor league experience for the job he wanted.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/top-5-candidates-to-become-next-canadiens-gm

TOP 5 CANDIDATES TO BECOME NEXT CANADIENS GM

3/4. Roberto Luongo/Patrick Roy

You say Patrick Roy; I say Roberto Luongo. 

Look, Roy is the most popular of the french-speaking former netminders to be considered to take over the reins on the sinking ship in Montreal. But popular doesn't always mean better. I was never popular in high school and look how I turned out. 

(Ok, maybe ignore that example)

Still, the last time Roy found himself in an NHL front office, things didn't go too well. After Semyon Varlamov won him a Jack Adams Trophy in 2013-14, Roy saw his Avalanche regress back into the below-average squad all signs painted them as under his watch, before eventually resigning due to philosophical differences with GM and former teammate, Joe Sakic. 

Roy, of course, was immediately vindicated for his disagreement on the direction of the team upon his departure, right? Oh, he wasn't? Sakic pretty much began to build the Avalanche into a perennial contender with one of the best collections of elite talent in the entire league right after Roy hit the bricks? 

Well that's a fun little factoid, isn't it? 

1. Martin Madden Jr.

You know how the Anaheim Ducks have consistently had one of the deepest pools of prospect talent in the entire NHL for the past decade-and-a-half while having established themselves as the industry leader in developing star defensemen? 

Yeah, that's all thanks to Martin Madden Jr. 

Madden has been with the Ducks in various capacities for the past 14 years, and was recently promoted to assistant GM in 2019 after the Seattle Kraken pursued him heavily for a prominent front-office role when building their management staff. 

He's not the flashiest candidate. But he's the best. 

According to THN's very own Rachel Doerrie, who is well-versed in the comings and goings of NHL front offices, Madden oversees the Ducks' professional and amateur scouting departments, having played a central hand in turning them into perhaps the best drafting franchise in hockey. 

Want to know what team is the worst? That would be the Montreal Canadiens. 

Something tells me that Madden will make sure that more than one of his first-round picks from the next eight years will still be with the team by then.  

Bergevin couldn't say the same. It's a low bar. But, hey, he set it. 

When it comes to serving as a conduit to the french-speaking fanbase, Madden checks all the boxes. His father was a former GM of the Quebec Nordiques. He currently lives in Quebec, having earned his bachelor's degree in engineering at McGill, his MBA in finance at HEC Montreal, and broke into hockey ops as an amateur scout for the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL. 

https://www.straight.com/news/so-far-online-petition-attracts-few-signatures-in-call-for-patrick-roy-to-become-next-canadiens

So far, online petition attracts few signatures in call for Patrick Roy to become next Canadiens general manager

" Fans of every other team in the league: Make Patrick Roy the Habs GM!! "

49 minutes ago, habsisme said:

It seems to me the Madden is the best man for the job. I wonder what the hold up is. I think he'd have to jump at this opportunity if we were offering

He is the guy I would get, he is pretty much everything we need in a GM. The question is does he want to come here? I suppose if the conditions are right and the money makes sense he might but he must know he will second guessed every step of the way, if he is ok with that I don't see why we could not get him.

54 minutes ago, habsisme said:

It seems to me the Madden is the best man for the job. I wonder what the hold up is. I think he'd have to jump at this opportunity if we were offering

Madden seems to have built a good prospect pool over his 14 years in Anaheim but they also seem to be a team in constant rebuild mode never really getting to perennial contender status. Not sure if this is a result of development or deployment of players though.

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Well the hold up is most likely Anaheim who he is under contract to.

Am i crazy or is there a rule that you have to allow management an opportunity at a higher position. I may be thinking about the NFL though. Although it would probably be bad business to stop employees from moving up anyway, that would be a pretty sad company to work for. 

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

And there's no guarantee he'd want to become GM of Montreal. Maybe he likes working and living in California. Weather is definitely nicer.

Yeah and he may have some promises too that he's next in line or something like that

18 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Madden seems to have built a good prospect pool over his 14 years in Anaheim but they also seem to be a team in constant rebuild mode never really getting to perennial contender status. Not sure if this is a result of development or deployment of players though.

Yeah that's true too although I guess it depends on what he's responsible for

24 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

He is the guy I would get, he is pretty much everything we need in a GM. The question is does he want to come here? I suppose if the conditions are right and the money makes sense he might but he must know he will second guessed every step of the way, if he is ok with that I don't see why we could not get him.

Yeah if Gorton is really the guy we may have to go for someone with less experience but if its more of a partnership, if i were Madden I would jump at the chance. This is his shot he may not get another

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Head coach 2013 to 2016 

They stunk in 2015 when  he was still there . In 2016 he resigned 

"The following season, the Avs regressed significantly, finishing last (seventh) in their division for only the second time in the history of the organization.

On August 11, 2016, Roy, citing a lack of input in personnel decisions, stepped down as the head coach and vice-president of hockey operations for the Avalanche, and was subsequently replaced by Jared Bednar.[44] "

2015/16 was a bad year, no doubt, 82 points in 82 games.

2016/17, 48 points in 82 games. 48!

Pretty safe bet Roy would have taken the heat for that, had he not had the foresight to get off the train tracks.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/top-5-candidates-to-become-next-canadiens-gm

TOP 5 CANDIDATES TO BECOME NEXT CANADIENS GM

3/4. Roberto Luongo/Patrick Roy

You say Patrick Roy; I say Roberto Luongo. 

Look, Roy is the most popular of the french-speaking former netminders to be considered to take over the reins on the sinking ship in Montreal. But popular doesn't always mean better. I was never popular in high school and look how I turned out. 

(Ok, maybe ignore that example)

Still, the last time Roy found himself in an NHL front office, things didn't go too well. After Semyon Varlamov won him a Jack Adams Trophy in 2013-14, Roy saw his Avalanche regress back into the below-average squad all signs painted them as under his watch, before eventually resigning due to philosophical differences with GM and former teammate, Joe Sakic. 

Roy, of course, was immediately vindicated for his disagreement on the direction of the team upon his departure, right? Oh, he wasn't? Sakic pretty much began to build the Avalanche into a perennial contender with one of the best collections of elite talent in the entire league right after Roy hit the bricks? 

Well that's a fun little factoid, isn't it? 

Lol who is writing this stuff?

I would select Briere, his skill set and experience are a good fit with Gorton's to form a stable managerial team. Gorton has been hired to turn the ship around.  IMO we don't need another Captain but perhaps a harbour pilot to navigate the Quebec waters and provide a sound second opinion on big decisions.  Montreal management operate in unique circumstances when compared to the rest of the NHL. 

Please no

Habs legend Patrick Roy wants to be team's new general manager

Montreal Canadiens legend Patrick Roy is hoping to become the team's new general manager.

And his message to his former club is: Why not him?

"Since 1993, the team has been running in circles," Roy said on Tuesday. "What do they have to lose by giving me a chance, and seeing what I can do with this club?"

The Canadiens' search for a new general manager is on.

After nine and a half years with the team, Marc Bergevin was let go on Sunday. His assistant general manager, Trevor Timmins, and Paul Wilson, who served as the team's senior vice-president of public affairs and communications, were also fired.

The team has hired Jeff Gorton to be the team's new vice-president of hockey operations, a role Bergevin also held during his time with the team. Gorton will be in charge of conducting the search for a new GM.

Roy, 56, won four Stanley Cups as a player, including two with the Canadiens, cementing his status as one of the team's all-time greats. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2006. 

Roy said he'd love to contribute to his former team's resurgence in a managerial role.

"I was proud to wear that jersey, to win two Stanley Cups, play in three finals. I have a lot of respect for that organization, a lot of admiration for what's been done in the history of the Canadiens," said the former goaltender. 

"Of course, given the number of seasons I played with the Canadiens, the success that I had with the organization, would I be interested [in the general manager position]? Clearly. But at the same time I am aware that it's process and there are several good candidates."

Roy also said he met Gorton once, and he seems to think the two would form a good front-office tandem.

"I would be ready to work with [Gorton]. He seems to be a person that is passionate about hockey. I've always been a guy who loved working in teams," Roy said.

Roy is the current GM and head coach for the Quebec City Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. He worked in the NHL, serving as head coach and vice-president of hockey of the Colorado Avalanche from 2013 to 2016, before stepping down

Kind words for Bergevin, not so much for Timmins

Roy had high praise for the Canadiens' former GM on Tuesday, saying Bergevin put together a team that is much better than its record indicates.

The Canadiens are off to the worst regular-season start in the team's history.

"For me, the Canadiens, it's more of a reset that is needed, not a rebuild," said Roy, adding Bergevin leaves behind a strong crop of players. 

Roy, however, was not complimentary of Timmins, who worked for the team for nearly 20 years and played a major role in the recruitment and drafting process.

"Marc did great things with the club, he was extremely loyal with the people that surrounded him. So, he pays the price," Roy said.

"It's clear that Trevor Timmins hurt Marc Bergevin, but Marc is someone that's loyal so he stood behind him."

21 minutes ago, Regis22 said:
Please no

Habs legend Patrick Roy wants to be team's new general manager

Montreal Canadiens legend Patrick Roy is hoping to become the team's new general manager.

And his message to his former club is: Why not him?

"Since 1993, the team has been running in circles," Roy said on Tuesday. "What do they have to lose by giving me a chance, and seeing what I can do with this club?"

The Canadiens' search for a new general manager is on.

After nine and a half years with the team, Marc Bergevin was let go on Sunday. His assistant general manager, Trevor Timmins, and Paul Wilson, who served as the team's senior vice-president of public affairs and communications, were also fired.

The team has hired Jeff Gorton to be the team's new vice-president of hockey operations, a role Bergevin also held during his time with the team. Gorton will be in charge of conducting the search for a new GM.

Roy, 56, won four Stanley Cups as a player, including two with the Canadiens, cementing his status as one of the team's all-time greats. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2006. 

Roy said he'd love to contribute to his former team's resurgence in a managerial role.

"I was proud to wear that jersey, to win two Stanley Cups, play in three finals. I have a lot of respect for that organization, a lot of admiration for what's been done in the history of the Canadiens," said the former goaltender. 

"Of course, given the number of seasons I played with the Canadiens, the success that I had with the organization, would I be interested [in the general manager position]? Clearly. But at the same time I am aware that it's process and there are several good candidates."

Roy also said he met Gorton once, and he seems to think the two would form a good front-office tandem.

"I would be ready to work with [Gorton]. He seems to be a person that is passionate about hockey. I've always been a guy who loved working in teams," Roy said.

Roy is the current GM and head coach for the Quebec City Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. He worked in the NHL, serving as head coach and vice-president of hockey of the Colorado Avalanche from 2013 to 2016, before stepping down

Kind words for Bergevin, not so much for Timmins

Roy had high praise for the Canadiens' former GM on Tuesday, saying Bergevin put together a team that is much better than its record indicates.

The Canadiens are off to the worst regular-season start in the team's history.

"For me, the Canadiens, it's more of a reset that is needed, not a rebuild," said Roy, adding Bergevin leaves behind a strong crop of players. 

Roy, however, was not complimentary of Timmins, who worked for the team for nearly 20 years and played a major role in the recruitment and drafting process.

"Marc did great things with the club, he was extremely loyal with the people that surrounded him. So, he pays the price," Roy said.

"It's clear that Trevor Timmins hurt Marc Bergevin, but Marc is someone that's loyal so he stood behind him."

On the one hand I wouldn't mind Roy since Gorton is there but then just read this article. Why is he so openly criticizing Timmins? Why would he say the organization has been running in circles since 93? Even if these things are true, you don't say them. It's going to be like having Donald Trump as GM 

Martin Madden Jr. (soon to be 51), was just passed over on Nov.10/21 when Bob Murray resigned to enter alcohol treatment. They replaced him with Jeff Solomon (64) as VP Hockey ops who was hired May/21 and is acting as interim GM - Perhaps Martin Madden Jr is on the short list to be the GM of Anaheim, as they do their search for a replacement. Solomon's history is as a player agent and LA Kings executive.  It has only been a few weeks since Bob Murray resigned, but if Madden Jr. was that respected, you would think Solomon would get off the pot and make the call to lock up Madden fairly quickly. Perhaps the Habs org. is giving Solomon the time to make the decision. If Solomon hires someone else, then logically it follows that Madden Jr. would come to the Habs.

I don't understand the love for Daniel Briere - managing an ECHL team is worse for player development than managing a junior franchise. I would take Luongo before Briere.

40 minutes ago, habsisme said:

On the one hand I wouldn't mind Roy since Gorton is there but then just read this article. Why is he so openly criticizing Timmins? Why would he say the organization has been running in circles since 93? Even if these things are true, you don't say them. It's going to be like having Donald Trump as GM 

I don't think he was trying to be critical of Timmins in the sense that he is a bad person or anything just the drafting over Timmins career hasn't been great and reflects on the GM badly since he works under him.

14 minutes ago, claremont said:

Martin Madden Jr. (soon to be 51), was just passed over on Nov.10/21 when Bob Murray resigned to enter alcohol treatment. They replaced him with Jeff Solomon (64) as VP Hockey ops who was hired May/21 and is acting as interim GM - Perhaps Martin Madden Jr is on the short list to be the GM of Anaheim, as they do their search for a replacement. Solomon's history is as a player agent and LA Kings executive.  It has only been a few weeks since Bob Murray resigned, but if Madden Jr. was that respected, you would think Solomon would get off the pot and make the call to lock up Madden fairly quickly. Perhaps the Habs org. is giving Solomon the time to make the decision. If Solomon hires someone else, then logically it follows that Madden Jr. would come to the Habs.

I don't understand the love for Daniel Briere - managing an ECHL team is worse for player development than managing a junior franchise. I would take Luongo before Briere.

oh I didn't even realize that Anaheim was currently in a GM search. Yeah if I was him and had the choice of both, I'd stay where I am. But like you said, if he was gonna get the job, he probably would have got it by now

Madden Jr is far and away the best candidate I've heard of and I've been saying this since before Bergevin got fired. IMO it should have been between Madden and Timmins, and TT is out. We need a guy who excels at drafting because in a cap world, that's how you build a great team. And we need a guy who understands the value of younger players and giving them a shot to win jobs. That's why I'm high on finding a guy who has been an amateur scout and worked the draft. I don't see any value in hiring a Briere, Luongo, or Darche. They have no experience at anything. I don't like the idea of Roy as a GM, especially in this shared responsibility model with Gorton. So to me, it's Madden ahead of others. I've mentioned Daniel Dore as another option before and Martin Brodeur at least has a bit more experience than the other names mentioned. Also no to Pierre McGuire and no to Vincent Damphousse. Again, I don't want to see a figurehead here just to speak French. Gorton seems to be strong at making trades in the context of a re-build but I'd like to see him get help with the amateur drafting.

As for Anaheim, they obviously have first dibs on Madden. If they truly want him as their GM, they won't release him to interview with us. And I doubt he'd want to leave if he could stay in his own organization with guys he's drafted and a roster he helped build. So it hinges to me on what Anaheim does. But if Anaheim looks elsewhere for their own GM, I doubt they would/could block Madden from a promotion by joining us. They would look awful for blocking a guy from advancing his career. And Madden is from here, with his dad having been our head scout at one point. So there's a history there. It seems like the best possible fit.

15 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Madden Jr is far and away the best candidate I've heard of and I've been saying this since before Bergevin got fired. IMO it should have been between Madden and Timmins, and TT is out. We need a guy who excels at drafting because in a cap world, that's how you build a great team. And we need a guy who understands the value of younger players and giving them a shot to win jobs. That's why I'm high on finding a guy who has been an amateur scout and worked the draft. I don't see any value in hiring a Briere, Luongo, or Darche. They have no experience at anything. I don't like the idea of Roy as a GM, especially in this shared responsibility model with Gorton. So to me, it's Madden ahead of others. I've mentioned Daniel Dore as another option before and Martin Brodeur at least has a bit more experience than the other names mentioned. Also no to Pierre McGuire and no to Vincent Damphousse. Again, I don't want to see a figurehead here just to speak French. Gorton seems to be strong at making trades in the context of a re-build but I'd like to see him get help with the amateur drafting.

As for Anaheim, they obviously have first dibs on Madden. If they truly want him as their GM, they won't release him to interview with us. And I doubt he'd want to leave if he could stay in his own organization with guys he's drafted and a roster he helped build. So it hinges to me on what Anaheim does. But if Anaheim looks elsewhere for their own GM, I doubt they would/could block Madden from a promotion by joining us. They would look awful for blocking a guy from advancing his career. And Madden is from here, with his dad having been our head scout at one point. So there's a history there. It seems like the best possible fit.

Damphousse already said he wants no part of it also I agree with you 100% on Madden if we get him with Gorton it would feel like a home run to me I would feel like we have a world class front office. if it is Gorton and a french rookie who has the brains and the drive it would be less positive but still a good thing if they work well together. I have heard a lot about Briere being in the mix he seems like a studious type that would get the hang of things quickly but it is hard to know if he is going to be any good same with Darche another smart man with a hockey past could be great but we just don't know! if we get Madden we have someone who is great at drafting mixed with Gorton who is no slouch either and seems to have a knack for asset management together it could be a dream team!

2 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Damphousse already said he wants no part of it also I agree with you 100% on Madden if we get him with Gorton it would feel like a home run to me I would feel like we have a world class front office. if it is Gorton and a french rookie who has the brains and the drive it would be less positive but still a good thing if they work well together. I have heard a lot about Briere being in the mix he seems like a studious type that would get the hang of things quickly but it is hard to know if he is going to be any good same with Darche another smart man with a hockey past could be great but we just don't know! if we get Madden we have someone who is great at drafting mixed with Gorton who is no slouch either and seems to have a knack for asset management together it could be a dream team!

Just keep in mind that scouting over the past two years has been hard with COVID. The database that each team has is already lacking, so to add a guy like Briere or Darche who hasn't done a lot of scouting and doesn't have that repository of information going into a draft where we likely have high picks could hurt. We can't afford to miss this year. So being able to add a guy with a scouting background be huge.

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Madden Jr is far and away the best candidate I've heard of and I've been saying this since before Bergevin got fired. IMO it should have been between Madden and Timmins, and TT is out. We need a guy who excels at drafting because in a cap world, that's how you build a great team.

Echoing my vote for Madden, and echoing Briere as absolutely useless based on experience. A strong NO to Brodeur based on insider knowledge of how he treats people. Luongo is one of 5 advisors to Bill Zito as GM in Florida and was originally hired by the departed Dale Tallon - Probably as one of 5 advisors, I'll bet Roberto is a glorified Goalie scout so squat experience. Roy has credentials but as I have said before, there has to be complete communication/lines in the sand between Gorton and Roy, otherwise Roy will die on some self inflicted sword, speak out of turn, and Molson will have to make a choice. It is a dangerous bubble risk. Daniel Dore - Interesting past relationship with Gorton upon reading his background but he doesn't carry enough weight and IMO would be the quintessential yes man GM. Darche - he's been around a winning organization, and I see him as a front runner with familiarity on analytics and other aspects. Damphousse and McGuire are laughable candidates. Luc Robataille doesn't really do it for me but I have heard his name mentioned. My dark horse gamble Is Yanick Jean (Chicoutimi)

• H_T_L locked this topic