Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Prospects


electron58
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, electron58 said:

Montreal Canadiens: Prospect Xavier Simoneau Injury Ends Chance of Scoring Title.

As of December 4, the forward had earned 23 points in his last 10 starts and was looking utterly dominant before suffering a major undisclosed upper-body injury which will sideline him for at least four weeks. The Habs’ bad luck with injuries seems to have made its way all the way down the depth chart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2021 at 1:17 AM, electron58 said:

  Looks like he received a suspension from that game.  Not sure what for, as the league still has not doled out his punishment.

Decision in: OHL suspends Rangers rearguard Arber Xhekaj for three games
Kitchener Rangers defenceman Arber Xhekaj was issued a three-game suspension for his role in a fight with Owen Sound Attack captain Mark Woolley on Dec. 3. Xhekaj had been suspended indefinitely while the league reviewed the scrap and aftermath.  The Montreal Canadiens prospect, along with Rangers general manager and coach Mike McKenzie, were interviewed by the league before the decision was made.  Xhekaj connected with a fierce right hand that knocked Woolley off his skates in the scrap. The 20-year-old was dazed and had to be helped off the ice and missed the next three games.  The fight wasn’t dirty and both players agreed to duke it out. But after the fight, Xhekaj celebrated by putting his hands in a sleeping motion next to his cheek, while Woolley lay on the ice.  Xhekaj sat out the past three games while the OHL pondered its decision and now will, ironically, be able to return Wednesday when the Rangers face the Attack in Owen Sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Kaiden Guhle named captain for Team Canada at world juniors

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/kaiden-guhle-named-canada-captain-wjc-1.6293188

I think this kid is the potential to be a Pronger type deeman. 

 

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah he looks like he is getting there.

I think Pronger is a bit lofty as he was a game-changing talent & arguably the best defenseman in the league during the late 90s early 00s  but the next step down is probably Weber and i see a lot of Shea Weber in Guhle.

In fact, ive said that there's nearly no untouchables on my roster if im GM... i probably add Guhle to that list right now. Unless a team offers me an elite, young, proven defensman (ie Makar or Heiskanen type) Im probably not including Guhle in any trade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

 

I think Pronger is a bit lofty as he was a game-changing talent & arguably the best defenseman in the league during the late 90s early 00s  but the next step down is probably Weber and i see a lot of Shea Weber in Guhle.

In fact, ive said that there's nearly no untouchables on my roster if im GM... i probably add Guhle to that list right now. Unless a team offers me an elite, young, proven defensman (ie Makar or Heiskanen type) Im probably not including Guhle in any trade. 

I think Guhle has a very good chance at becoming a regular NHLer. That said, I'm not sold on his ceiling being as high as a Pronger or Weber. He's probably a better skater than either of those two and in some regards, he plays a pretty simple North-South game the way Weber did. Stay in position, separate man from puck, get the puck up the boards, etc. Where it seems like Guhle is lacking thus far in his game are that his breakouts and zone entries are very average, and his offensive creativity is lacking. So he'll probably end up being a solid #3-4 defenceman, but I have trouble seeing him as a PP QB or an elite level D man. The best comparables I've seen for him include guys like Colton Parayko, Jonas Brodin, or Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

So all in all, I think he's a guy with a bright future in the NHL, but he's not a guy I'm clinging to as a prospect if the right deal comes along. Right now, we don't have much of a need to deal our best prospects away, but if ever we had the opportunity to acquire say a young top 6 center or RHD and we needed to include one of LHD prospects in the deal, I'd personally rather hang on to Norlinder (higher ceiling and harder to find skillset, even though floor is not as high as Guhle's), Romanov, and Harris (assuming he signs here). Again, it's not to say they'll be better than Guhle, but I think it's harder to find players to replace the skillsets those three bring than what Guhle does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Guhle has a very good chance at becoming a regular NHLer. That said, I'm not sold on his ceiling being as high as a Pronger or Weber. He's probably a better skater than either of those two and in some regards, he plays a pretty simple North-South game the way Weber did. Stay in position, separate man from puck, get the puck up the boards, etc. Where it seems like Guhle is lacking thus far in his game are that his breakouts and zone entries are very average, and his offensive creativity is lacking. So he'll probably end up being a solid #3-4 defenceman, but I have trouble seeing him as a PP QB or an elite level D man. The best comparables I've seen for him include guys like Colton Parayko, Jonas Brodin, or Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

So all in all, I think he's a guy with a bright future in the NHL, but he's not a guy I'm clinging to as a prospect if the right deal comes along. Right now, we don't have much of a need to deal our best prospects away, but if ever we had the opportunity to acquire say a young top 6 center or RHD and we needed to include one of LHD prospects in the deal, I'd personally rather hang on to Norlinder (higher ceiling and harder to find skillset, even though floor is not as high as Guhle's), Romanov, and Harris (assuming he signs here). Again, it's not to say they'll be better than Guhle, but I think it's harder to find players to replace the skillsets those three bring than what Guhle does.

I see Guhle as much more than you do! but we will just have to wait and see how he pans out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joshua Roy         LW    Sherbrooke       GP 27    G17    A 30    TP 47     leads team

Xavier Simoneau   C    Charlottetown    GP 24    G13    A 33    TP 46

Riley Kidney          C    Bathurst             GP 29    G17    A 24    TP 41

William Trudeau    D    Charlottetown    GP 31     G 6     A19    TP 25

Jan Mysak               Hamilton            GP 25    G17    A 14     TP 31

Arber Xhekaj         D    Kitchener           GP 17    G 5      A 10    TP 12      

Kaiden Guhle        D    Prince Albert      GP 20    G 3      A 15    TP 18

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

I see Guhle as much more than you do! but we will just have to wait and see how he pans out.

I’m a little inclined to believe Guhle will develop better offensive skills then what he has shown so far and I don’t limit his upside. Agree with you that we need to be patient as prospect development is hard to judge.

As a comparative, Norlinder was a 7th d-man on his U20 Sweden team and showed squat at that tourney. I need to be convinced Matthias can play defense lest he turn into a Ryan Murphy drafted 12 th overall 2011 and is only able to play on a PP or succeed in the AHL. 
if I’m trading for Chycrun or a top Centre, I’m trading next years pick, a roster player and Jordan Harris or Norlinder before Guhle 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, claremont said:

I’m a little inclined to believe Guhle will develop better offensive skills then what he has shown so far and I don’t limit his upside. Agree with you that we need to be patient as prospect development is hard to judge.

As a comparative, Norlinder was a 7th d-man on his U20 Sweden team and showed squat at that tourney. I need to be convinced Matthias can play defense lest he turn into a Ryan Murphy drafted 12 th overall 2011 and is only able to play on a PP or succeed in the AHL. 
if I’m trading for Chycrun or a top Centre, I’m trading next years pick, a roster player and Jordan Harris or Norlinder before Guhle 

 

Yeah I like Norlinder too my hope is that he can round out his game and I think he has the smarts to do so. The last thing I want to see is any of our better D prospects getting traded before we give them a good hard look in the NHL I have seen time and again prospects coming up getting 3-4 games then getting sent down because they make a mistake and then we move them. I think what is happening now with Romanov is a good thing he is getting a lot of ice because of injuries and he is slowly rounding into shape he still makes the odd mistake but you can see he is getting much better at timing his hits and not getting himself so far out of position. He is also settling down in the D zone, this is due to the fact  that they have to play him and it is working he is starting to show real improvement. I want all of our young D men to get the same kind of shot we can keep a couple of good vets like Eddy and flush the rest as far as I am concerned then build a new D corps pretty much from the ground up if we do that going into next season we should have a good shot at another high draft pick and would be on track after that. That is just how I see it anyways, we have some good forward prospects already if we can sort the D we would have a good young core to build around fairly quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah I like Norlinder too my hope is that he can round out his game and I think he has the smarts to do so. The last thing I want to see is any of our better D prospects getting traded before we give them a good hard look in the NHL I have seen time and again prospects coming up getting 3-4 games then getting sent down because they make a mistake and then we move them. I think what is happening now with Romanov is a good thing he is getting a lot of ice because of injuries and he is slowly rounding into shape he still makes the odd mistake but you can see he is getting much better at timing his hits and not getting himself so far out of position. He is also settling down in the D zone, this is due to the fact  that they have to play him and it is working he is starting to show real improvement. I want all of our young D men to get the same kind of shot we can keep a couple of good vets like Eddy and flush the rest as far as I am concerned then build a new D corps pretty much from the ground up if we do that going into next season we should have a good shot at another high draft pick and would be on track after that. That is just how I see it anyways, we have some good forward prospects already if we can sort the D we would have a good young core to build around fairly quickly.

Yes, we're seeing what Romanov can do when he isn't constantly nervous about being pressboxed for every mistake he makes. Much more pleasant to watch as far as prospect development goes. Would be better if we could see the likes of Poehling, Ylonen, Caufield, etc. get a bit more leash. Primeau, likewise, has looked better in limited opportunity but could benefit from some more experience in this wasted year.

Without a doubt Norlinder needs to work on the completeness of his game, and he may never end up being a regular NHLer. I like Guhle's chances of having a 500-game career more than Norlinder's because the latter is more of a gamble. But we've seen flashes of brilliance from Norlinder as well, where he walked the puck through the opposition or made a brilliant pass or an astute pinch. He's got great skill and hockey sense offensively, and those things are hard to teach. So I like his upside more than Guhle's. Erik Karlsson was never that great defensively, but if you have a guy who can be passable defensively and control the puck most of the time he's on, the team will benefit greatly from that type of player. Karlsson, Mario Lemieux, Jagar, Subban, Kovalev, etc... all guys who just controlled the play when they're on the ice, and we haven't had a guy like that in a number of years. Would be nice if Norlinder panned out, and he and Guhle could form two cornerstones of the defence for years, not to mention what Jordan Harris could bring if he signs here. But we're still in dire need of more prospects at center and RHD to have a bright future here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Without a doubt Norlinder needs to work on the completeness of his game, and he may never end up being a regular NHLer. I like Guhle's chances of having a 500-game career more than Norlinder's because the latter is more of a gamble. But we've seen flashes of brilliance from Norlinder as well, where he walked the puck through the opposition or made a brilliant pass or an astute pinch. He's got great skill and hockey sense offensively, and those things are hard to teach. So I like his upside more than Guhle's. Erik Karlsson was never that great defensively, but if you have a guy who can be passable defensively and control the puck most of the time he's on, the team will benefit greatly from that type of player. Karlsson, Mario Lemieux, Jagar, Subban, Kovalev, etc... all guys who just controlled the play when they're on the ice, and we haven't had a guy like that in a number of years. Would be nice if Norlinder panned out, and he and Guhle could form two cornerstones of the defence for years, not to mention what Jordan Harris could bring if he signs here. But we're still in dire need of more prospects at center and RHD to have a bright future here.

I've echoed a # of sentiments with others that I really dislike our prospect depth at centre. Beyond Suzuki, the #3/4 spots of Devo, Poehling, Evans isn't enough. Dauphin/Dolphin, Oliver Kapanen, Jan Mysak, Riley Kidney are long shots to have any impact as a 200 ft. centre. I just hope that we draft the Best Available Player and if that is clearly RW - Kemell (assuming a miss on Wright), then we don't reach for need with Cooley or Savoie. The downside problem is that it is very difficult to find that top centre as we gambled on a reach for Dvorak that he could be that #2. Our RW prospects appear pretty good at RW with Josh, Caufield, Ylonen, but Kemell just adds to that and gives us trading chips, especially if we don't think Gally will be part of the rebuild.  At LW - drouin I would not give up on yet, Toffoli TBD but Armia. Lehks I could easily push out the door. Joshua Roy seems to demonstrate that he will be a LW fix in the future, and the smallish Sean Farrell or the tenacity of a Harvey-Pinard may replace Lehks. 

I hope Gorton can pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat and I am fine in even overpaying / salary retention in some assets for Bourgault from the Oilers or another team that has centre prospects. 

RHD is a position of need but I expect Logan Mailloux to be reinstated to the OHL for Jan. 1 - I wouldn't throw him our of our mix for the future. Guhle is that good that he can play RHD allowing a LHD side of Norlinder, Romanov, Harris/Struble, Clague. However with all defenseman it is about having the basic skills of ability to effectively defend first vs. the glorious stats of offense. I've seen too many defensemen that have great offensive skills but are crap in their own zone when the playoffs occur - Morgan Rielly is another example beyond Karlsson.  Passable for the season ok but the playoffs are a different animal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, electron58 said:

The OHL has announced that London Knights defenceman and Montreal Canadiens prospect Logan Mailloux has been reinstated, effective Jan. 1, 2022.

His transgression will haunt he and his victim fir a long time. Looking forward to seeing this kid progress both on the ice and off the ice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sean Farrell       LF         Harvard             GP 12     G  7     A 10     TP  17     second on team

Jordan Harris    LD         Northeastern     GP 18    G  2     A   9    TP    11     tied for second

Jayden Struble  LD         Northeastern     GP 17    G  2     A  2    TP      4

Jack Smith         LF         Sioux Falls         GP 10    G  2     A  1    TP      3

Luke Tuch          LF          Boston U.          GP 10    G  2     A  0    TP      2

Brett Stapley  C/RW       U. of Denver       GP 18    G  8     A 14   TP     22    tied for second

Blake Biondi  C/RW  U. of Minn. Duluth    GP 20    G  8     A   6   TP     14    tied for first

Jack Gorniak     LW    U. of Wisconsin      GP 20    G  4     A   4   TP       8    fourth on team

Rhett Pitlick       LW   U. of Minn. G.G.      GP 13    G  0     A   5   TP       5

Jakub Dobes   G        Ohio State Univ.      GP18     GA 36    GAA  2.10  Save%  .926  ( W 13  L  5 )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Delayed debut: Logan Mailloux set to boost London Knights blue-line.

So the controversial Canadiens first-rounder will get started Friday against Flint (7 p.m.) at an empty Budweiser Gardens – provided new positive tests don’t pop up and the Firebirds bus crosses the international border without incident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hope this kid does well. I was one that had no problem drafting him. Yes, he made a mistake. He's a kid and a lot do "sexting" all the time. I'm not saying any of it is okay, but it wasn't a physical act of harm or a *****. He had been projected a first-round pick. He could end up being a steal because a team wasn't afraid to give him a chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Montreal Canadiens Prospect Kaiden Guhle Could be Heading to Olympics.

Rumour has it that Guhle is on the short list to represent Canada at the Winter Olympics. Around the time the World Juniors were cancelled, the NHL was in the midst of postponing dozens of games itself. They were supposed to pause for most of February to send players to China to play in the Olympics, but they have taken that off the table and will be rescheduling NHL games during the scheduled time off.

That has opened the door for non-NHL players to play in the Olympics. Canada will be scrambling to put together a roster for the event, but it will be made up of mostly Junior aged players and professionals playing in Europe, as well as a few AHL players.

According to Scott Wheeler of The Athletic, one of those players is Canadiens first round pick Kaiden Guhle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2022 at 2:29 AM, electron58 said:

From Engels on Jordan Harris

 

Image

Yeah.  It doesn't look good.

I could be mistaken but isn't there some form of compensation(draft wise) if Harris signs elsewhere? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...