The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Holloween horror vs the Ducks Sun. 4:00p.m.

H_T_L

Final game for MB??  

15 members have voted

1. 1. If we lose this one, does Molson call a cab for MB??

• Lose and he's done.
    • Not happening yet.
    • MB will fire DD first.
    • We'll win,, so everybody is safe for now.

This poll is closed to new votes

• H_T_L pinned this topic
3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Expecting Monty gets the net for this one.

Yes and no. Yes, it makes sense after Allen didn't play well to switch it up. But on the other hand, I've said many times that a great time to fire a coach is at the end of a long road trip on your way home. If we are heading home 2-8 after losing to a series of bottom feeders, does Ducharme feel that puts his job in jeopardy? Maybe he feels like this is a must-win to keep his job... this team has lost to Buffalo, San Jose, LA, Seattle... those are not good teams. Anaheim is also expected to be bad. So if you are going home 2-8 with 5 of your losses to teams not expected to make the playoffs, how will you do when facing TB, Bos, Was, LV, or so on? Doesn't bode well.

23 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I am making the Habs official bird a raven because ravens signify death or mourning, and we have definitely been witnessing the death of the Habs since the beginning of MB's tenure.

The thing is, they haven't been good for a long time. Last year, they finished just 3 points over .500 in a very weak division and barely snuck into the playoffs, narrowly avoided elimination in Game 5 of Round 1, then rode Price to a long playoff run despite awful coaching. Two years ago, they finished at .500 (and I'll remind everyone that .500 is below average given the fact loser points are given for OTL's) and missed the playoffs by finish, only sneaking in as the 24 overall seed because the league expanded the play-in because of COVID. The two years before that, they also missed the playoffs and in 2017-18 were well below .500. In 2016-17 they had a strong regular season but got knocked out of the playoffs in 6 games in round 1 to a wildcard team. In 2015-16, they were also a below-average team that played .500 hockey.

So count them up. Assuming we go on to miss the playoffs this year and remove the technicality of qualifying as a 24-seed two years ago, and we will have missed the playoffs in 5 of the past 7 years. In another season, we sneaked in as the lowest-ranked playoff team playing in a weak division. So we've had one good regular season out of 7. We essentially missed the playoffs three years in a row in the middle of this span, which has only happened twice before in team history. Missing the playoffs in 5 of 7 years has never happened before in team history. So yes, we continue to spiral down towards further levels of poor play, but look at the trend and this has been ongoing for years. The best part of MB's tenure was the first 2-3 years when he inherited a roster that was much-better built my his predecessors. We had the best goalie in the league in his prime, we had one of the best D men in the league in his prime, we had one of the top goal-scorers in the league in his prime, we had a still-effective Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Markov and a strong 3C in Eller, we had up-and-coming Brendan Gallagher, and we had a 3rd overall pick. There were definitely still holes in that roster, but the core to build around was there and we actually had elite talent at several positions. MB was handed a Cup window on a silver platter and not only did he fail to capitalize on his core's window, he made the team worse and hasn't identified another window in which he's planning on contending. He would rather be mediocre every year than be a legit contender for a 3-5 year run.

Even if we do lose, I would encourage everyone to think positively on the future! :D We've got some decent pieces here with Suzuki, Caulfield, and Romanov.

I really feel like this is MB's last season. Not meaning to kick a dead horse, but it just feels like his tenure has run its course. If we continue to lose to bottom-feeders, it's probably an indication that we aren't good and we'll maybe get a good draft pick.

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I am making the Habs official bird a raven because ravens signify death or mourning, and we have definitely been witnessing the death of the Habs since the beginning of MB's tenure.

I don't know about Harry Potter

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Even if we do lose, I would encourage everyone to think positively on the future! :D We've got some decent pieces here with Suzuki, Caulfield, and Romanov.

I really feel like this is MB's last season. Not meaning to kick a dead horse, but it just feels like his tenure has run its course. If we continue to lose to bottom-feeders, it's probably an indication that we aren't good and we'll maybe get a good draft pick.

I don't have optimism on the Bergevin front because the guy has had 9 lives that would have had other GMs fired by now.

As for our other pieces, I absolutely think we can build around Suzuki, Caufield, etc. Less hopeful about the way Romanov had played. But at the end of the day, my question is this: are these guys better than the younger players other teams have? Are they better than Ottawa's young core with Tkachuk, Norris, Sanderson, Chabot, Stutzle, etc? I'm not feeling that. Are they better than Anaheim with the likes of Zegras, Drysdale, and so on? New Jersey's young core? The Rangers? Carolina's? Vancouver with Pettersen and Hughes and so on? We have nice young pieces but I'm going to come back to this time and again: who are our truly elite pieces? We had Price and Subban and Pacioretty, who were all arguably elite at their positions. Right now, do we have a top 10 center in the league? Top 10 winger? Top 10 D man? Top 10 goalie? Not sure we have any of those things and as good as Suzuki and Caufield might get, not sure they will ever be elite players.

If I'm in charge, I'm doing what I can to acquire an elite center like Eichel, as they rarely become available in their prime. And I'm hanging on to my 1st rounder this year (we're not allowed to trade it anyways until the conditions in the Dvorak trade are established) and hoping I get a top 3 pick there too. Build around that. We've already missed the window with our current core and we've missed the opportunity to trade away the likes of Weber, Price, Gallagher, etc. while they had value.

3 minutes ago, electron58 said:

What's the fastest a coach has been fired, after signing a new contract?

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

You would think that alone would be reason to lose your job if your the GM.

and there have been a lot of reasons.............

21 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Brooks in for Perreault.

Wideman in for Niku.

Montembeault in for Allen.

If Petry, can't go, Niku draws back in.

If Gallagher can't go, then either Niku as 7th D if Petry plays or Evans at less than 100% if no one else can go. Getting thin.

Who's on first again?  :wacko:

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic