The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

CP 2

ramcharger440

28 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Too early, but it certainly makes we wonder why we wasted the time claiming Montbeant (yes I know I totally killed the spelling of his name )

Monty works for me. :P

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

For sure. Waaaaay too early.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if Burke and co are still trying to get him to work on things.  He looked great but im sure there's plenty of elements of his game that need developing still. 

Kid is 22 how long do we wait? in my mind he either has it or not I don't see an issue to him replacing Monty then when and if Price comes back he goes down. I think he should be here starting next year otherwise what are we running down there a long term daycare?

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

Too early, but it certainly makes we wonder why we wasted the time claiming Montbeant (yes I know I totally killed the spelling of his name )

Burke and Raymond, when they claimed Monty said they felt he had a strong potential but felt he had a bad foundation.  I don't think they expected to need to play him nearly this much (he was claimed before Price checked into the PAP) and I think there's still potential there. He may end up being nothing but an AHL guy but it will be interesting to see if the team is able to get more out of him. 

At the end of the day, if Raymond and/or Burke think the AHL is best for Primeau's development then thats where he should go.  This season is lost.  If they think he is ready for NHL duties then sure, waive Monty, try to trade Allen or even Price... but the decision should come from what is best for CP going forward, because all signs point to him being our starter for the long term. 

8 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Kid is 22 how long do we wait? in my mind he either has it or not I don't see an issue to him replacing Monty then when and if Price comes back he goes down. 

Age is irrelevant when it comes to player development - a player is ready when he is ready - but this is especially important with goalies.  Hasek was like 24 or 25 before he really broke out. Thomas was in his 30s.  Plenty of goalies aren't "ready" till they are like 24-26.   And in Primeau's case he was a very very late draft pick (7th round?) so his development at the time was likely behind schedule.  

Im not saying he does need more time or more development but what I am saying is that none of us are in a position to decide whether a goalie is ready or not.  There is a science to this & there's a reason why the best goalie coaches seem to be able to produce elite talent goalies season after season. They didn't just get lucky, they know what a goalie needs to work on.  Im not sure yet if Burke or Raymond are those guys (not enough history) but im confident they know more about a goalie's readiness than any of us. 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Burke and Raymond, when they claimed Monty said they felt he had a strong potential but felt he had a bad foundation.  I don't think they expected to need to play him nearly this much (he was claimed before Price checked into the PAP) and I think there's still potential there. He may end up being nothing but an AHL guy but it will be interesting to see if the team is able to get more out of him. 

At the end of the day, if Raymond and/or Burke think the AHL is best for Primeau's development then thats where he should go.  This season is lost.  If they think he is ready for NHL duties then sure, waive Monty, try to trade Allen or even Price... but the decision should come from what is best for CP going forward, because all signs point to him being our starter for the long term. 

Age is irrelevant when it comes to player development - a player is ready when he is ready - but this is especially important with goalies.  Hasek was like 24 or 25 before he really broke out. Thomas was in his 30s.  Plenty of goalies aren't "ready" till they are like 24-26.   And in Primeau's case he was a very very late draft pick (7th round?) so his development at the time was likely behind schedule.  

Im not saying he does need more time or more development but what I am saying is that none of us are in a position to decide whether a goalie is ready or not.  There is a science to this & there's a reason why the best goalie coaches seem to be able to produce elite talent goalies season after season. They didn't just get lucky, they know what a goalie needs to work on.  Im not sure yet if Burke or Raymond are those guys (not enough history) but im confident they know more about a goalie's readiness than any of us. 

Meh what is the point of selecting a player that only develops until they are 24 or 26? I get that he is a late draft pick but then what you get 4-6 years out of all that so called development? this team has proven time and again that this is not a strong suit for them! In my mind a player these days should be near NHL ready after a year or two at most in the AHL if not it seems like a losing proposition. Lets face it Price is pretty much done he may have another year or perhaps two in him but who will replace him? if it is going to be Primeau I would much rather he start getting NHL starts asap. I am not for nor did ever say promote him to stay I want him playing now as Monty well he sucks! Allen will be back at some point or Price and the kid can go back to the AHL but for now I want to see what he has if this is somehow going to derail his development I would be pretty worried about his mental toughness!

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Meh what is the point of selecting a player that only develops until they are 24 or 26?

Jack Campbell in TO is 29 and there is still talk in town questioning his ability  to play a full year, will he get hurt , how is he mentally to be the # 1 guy 

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Seven NHL games with a GAA of 3.47 and a save percentage of 0.889. :ph34r: Don't think this guy is ready. No way.

Yeah personally I think it is what is playing in front of him that gave him those #'s and he is another year older now. He was good last game and way less worrisome to watch than Monty!

17 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Meh what is the point of selecting a player that only develops until they are 24 or 26? I get that he is a late draft pick but then what you get 4-6 years out of all that so called development?

I understand the desire to want a player to be ready "now" but at the end of the day you're better off letting your assets mature at the age that works for them. Plekanec was one of our most important players for a decade and didnt really hit 'full time' till he was 24. Danault too. Evans is 25. 

Especially a late picks.  

17 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

this team has proven time and again that this is not a strong suit for them! In my mind a player these days should be near NHL ready after a year or two at most in the AHL if not it seems like a losing proposition

No argument that we seemed to screwed up a lot of development in the past but rushing a player just because he's played a couple of years in the AHL is not good asset management.  Some guys dont need any (or minimal) time in the minors while others need a good 3 or 4 years.  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I understand the desire to want a player to be ready "now" but at the end of the day you're better off letting your assets mature at the age that works for them. Plekanec was one of our most important players for a decade and didnt really hit 'full time' till he was 24. Danault too. Evans is 25. 

Especially a late picks.  

No argument that we seemed to screwed up a lot of development in the past but rushing a player just because he's played a couple of years in the AHL is not good asset management.  Some guys dont need any (or minimal) time in the minors while others need a good 3 or 4 years.  

Well in this case I disagree with your point of view. like I said before I don't want him here full time but until one of our actual goaltenders is able to play he is a far better option than Monty. If the guy can't handle that he is already a lost cause in my opinion.

57 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Well in this case I disagree with your point of view. like I said before I don't want him here full time but until one of our actual goaltenders is able to play he is a far better option than Monty. If the guy can't handle that he is already a lost cause in my opinion.

And thats fair, we wont agree on everything. My take: 

1) Monty may be a better goalie than he's shown already.  There are flashes of a much better 'tender there and considering what we already had in the system I think there's a reason they grabbed him - remember this was before Price had told anyone he was going in the PAP.  Because he's been rushed, im not sure if we'll ever find out though.  Ive seen pretty substantial improvement in his game in the last month. 

2) If 1 more year of development is better for Primeau (and im not it is - only IF it is - i'll let our coaches decide that) then I think getting a few more wins out of him this year vs. playing monty is not worth it.

45 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Really though? I ddon't think even Price would have been able to deal with that tire fire of a game! the team did not show up!

He's been pulled in 2 of his last 3 games ( i think )  I remember the TV showing Josh Anderson consoling him in the corridor last yr and now this one - Im no evaluator of goalie talent but if we are pinning our hopes on Primeau being the  next # 1 goalie , we might be waiting along time .

4 hours ago, Regis22 said:

He's been pulled in 2 of his last 3 games ( i think )  I remember the TV showing Josh Anderson consoling him in the corridor last yr and now this one - Im no evaluator of goalie talent but if we are pinning our hopes on Primeau being the  next # 1 goalie , we might be waiting along time .

I agree! that is why I want to see what he has it is no secret he is not ready yet but I feel it is good for a goalie to get a view at what the big league is all about. We all know he is not staying.

• 4 weeks later...
  • H_T_L locked this topic