The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ducharme Fired!!!

ramcharger440

35 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So, the next question is... Does DD get to be head coach for the remainder of the season?

If Gorton is smart - which if we judge by his past history, he is - then he will most likely have an observation period.  Its entirely possible that MB was micromanaging the coaching & maybe DD has more to give (i doubt it, but its possible)

Its also possible that Gorton has been in talks with Molson for a while & already been observing closely so maybe he has plans in place.  My guess is right now we'll be in a bit of a holding pattern but probably not for long.  WIll DD and Richardson etc survive it? time will tell.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

If Gorton is smart - which if we judge by his past history, he is - then he will most likely have an observation period.  Its entirely possible that MB was micromanaging the coaching & maybe DD has more to give (i doubt it, but its possible)

Its also possible that Gorton has been in talks with Molson for a while & already been observing closely so maybe he has plans in place.  My guess is right now we'll be in a bit of a holding pattern but probably not for long.  WIll DD and Richardson etc survive it? time will tell.

Yeah I have wondered myself if the coach can really be this bad! it will be something if we find out MB was pulling strings behind the scenes!

1 minute ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah I have wondered myself if the coach can really be this bad! it will be something if we find out MB was pulling strings behind the scenes!

My money says MB had a say in lineup decisions since the firing of Julien. Don't make me look the fool with my player pickups. Play my guys or else.

14 hours ago, H_T_L said:

My money says MB had a say in lineup decisions since the firing of Julien. Don't make me look the fool with my player pickups. Play my guys or else.

almost certainly.  we'll soon see whether (completely predictable) train-wrecks like Chiarot-Savard will be a thing of the past... 

19 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

With MB gone I really think his days are numbered, lets face it he is a terrible coach has no idea how to adjust on the fly or to other teams game plans

I *think* you're probably right but im willing to give DD a chance to prove my suspicions wrong.  I think we'll know in a matter of a week whether it was MB's influence from above or whether DD just isnt a good coach. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

almost certainly.  we'll soon see whether (completely predictable) train-wrecks like Chiarot-Savard will be a thing of the past... 

I *think* you're probably right but im willing to give DD a chance to prove my suspicions wrong.  I think we'll know in a matter of a week whether it was MB's influence from above or whether DD just isnt a good coach. 

Yep tonight will be a good indicator if it is the same old same old then we know if he suddenly changes his style he may have had a hand tied behind his back. he will have a week or two anyways until the new mangement gets settled.

4 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

With MB gone I really think his days are numbered, lets face it he is a terrible coach has no idea how to adjust on the fly or to other teams game plans

Absolutely ... no coach in their right mind keeps playing Paquette giving his errors and how little he is bringing.

Ken Campbell

So a team that has long been maligned for ruining young players has Nick Suzuki playing between Artturi Lehkonen and Jake Evans and Cole Caufield on the fourth line tonight. If Dominique Ducharme is actually trying to get himself fired, he's doing a great job.

10 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Ken Campbell

So a team that has long been maligned for ruining young players has Nick Suzuki playing between Artturi Lehkonen and Jake Evans and Cole Caufield on the fourth line tonight. If Dominique Ducharme is actually trying to get himself fired, he's doing a great job.

We'll see what happens now that Gorton is around. I believe he mentioned Ducharme is safe for this season. Which is fine... as long as he starts providing young players with the right opportunities to succeed.

15 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Ken Campbell

i agree 100% it makes no sense.

50 minutes ago, AH64 said:

i agree 100% it makes no sense.

There could be another angle here, right now we are not a playoff team and we know the young guys are staying. Perhaps the idea is to showcase the guys who could be moving, we often say that we should be doing this at or around the deadline but why not do it early since we are not making the playoffs anyway. We could get a jump on a larger trade market. At the deadline there may only be 3-5 teams looking for a Chiarot for their playoff run but right now there could be easily 5+ teams who think they could use him as they are close to playoff spots now and could easily turn their seasons around before Christmas. Teams like Columbus, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philly, Nashville, Colorado, Winnipeg and Vegas that is 8 teams currently fighting for the last 2 wild cards in each division but the deadline we will only be looking at about half that.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We'll see what happens now that Gorton is around. I believe he mentioned Ducharme is safe for this season. Which is fine... as long as he starts providing young players with the right opportunities to succeed.

Should be less of a problem with Gallagher, Anderson, Petry, and Niku all joining the ranks of the unfit to play group.

• 2 weeks later...

It is unfortunate, but Monsieur Ducharme's lack of a viable team system, his game plans and his behind the bench persona seem to suck all the joy out of each game he coaches. IMO, the players have become soulless zombies just putting in time until the season ends.

I believe the negatives out number the positives in Ducharme finishing the season. I would prefer an interim coach until the new GM is in place and ready to decide what our coaching needs are for the future. 

1 minute ago, RCAF48 said:

It is unfortunate, but Monsieur Ducharme's lack of a viable team system, his game plans and his behind the bench persona seem to suck all the joy out of each game he coaches. IMO, the players have become soulless zombies just putting in time until the season ends.

I believe the negatives out number the positives in Ducharme finishing the season. I would prefer an interim coach until the new GM is in place and ready to decide what our coaching needs are for the future. 

The fact that players - veterans like Petry no less - are saying they are confused and things arent working makes you feel like he's way in over his head. 

The problem isnt so much firing him - because its easy to give Richardson the job (and lets remember, arguably the best coaching we had in our run to the finals last year was against LV and that was Richardson) - but its possible Gorton wants to keep Richardson and/or Burrows or Burke etc. - make one of them interum and you're not keeping them once you hire a new GM, new coach etc. 

Also, of course, a new coach could = points and right now we may not want too many of those. 

I agree though its a fine line. We dont want to become Barfalo. 

16 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The fact that players - veterans like Petry no less - are saying they are confused and things arent working makes you feel like he's way in over his head. 

The problem isnt so much firing him - because its easy to give Richardson the job (and lets remember, arguably the best coaching we had in our run to the finals last year was against LV and that was Richardson) - but its possible Gorton wants to keep Richardson and/or Burrows or Burke etc. - make one of them interum and you're not keeping them once you hire a new GM, new coach etc. 

Also, of course, a new coach could = points and right now we may not want too many of those. 

I agree though its a fine line. We dont want to become Barfalo. 

At the moment we are Barfalo! it is really sad to see!

49 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

At the moment we are Barfalo! it is really sad to see!

Lol. Record wise, yes - actually worse - but what i meant is the culture.   There gets to be a point where its just like... losing is accepted.  You see that in Barfalo. In Edmonton it was going that way too until they finally turned things around.   I dont think 1 year of this will do it but its always a worry. 

Best case would be if we tanked for the next 40 games & then had a surge in the last 20 or so - just good enough to get out of the funk & be excited about next year but bad enough to still be the favoured team for the lottery. 

Gorton strikes me as the type that doesn’t impulsively push a panic button, or yield to the press and fans.  I suspect like any new senior recruit to an organization that he is still interviewing players and collecting inputs from many of the personnel. While it may not be rocket science to assess Ducharme’s future, firing the coach is a major change on a go forward basis. It may not be his top priority until several weeks from now, and we should trust the process. 

3 minutes ago, claremont said:

Gorton strikes me as the type that doesn’t impulsively push a panic button, or yield to the press and fans.  I suspect like any new senior recruit to an organization that he is still interviewing players and collecting inputs from many of the personnel. While it may not be rocket science to assess Ducharme’s future, firing the coach is a major change on a go forward basis. It may not be his top priority until several weeks from now, and we should trust the process. 

I thought I read/heard somewhere that he would make a decision after Dec. 

On 12/15/2021 at 4:10 PM, claremont said:

Agree. He seems very methodical.  You might see a waiver pickup (as we have) but i dont see him moving assets unless he's properly assessed what we have.  A welcome change. 

On 12/15/2021 at 4:14 PM, kinot-2 said:

I thought I read/heard somewhere that he would make a decision after Dec. 

He expects a new GM to be hired after the Holidays.  He actually hasnt added a timeline for coach but did say that DUcharme & co will ,most likely play out the year so unless something changes drastically (Or someone becomes available that he really wants) i dont see DD being replaced this season. 

Let’s get this straight Dominic ducharme is not a leader . Montreal has no leader! We need to fire duCharmin and get a coach who is a leader . with hard work along side a leader who the players will play hard for .. this team should not rebuild we should just be saying if Carey Price can’t be here who gives a shit keep playing ! Shea Weber is done who gives a shit keep playing , a couple of our Key guys are hurt who gives a shit keep playing next man up stop babying Durin or petry !! a lot of mistakes were made now let’s make mistakes going forward fast  and hard !! if Savard doesn’t want to skate hard don’t put  him on the bench put him in the booth .. Petriy wants to be a bum sit him or trade him ..get the guys who wanna play hard put them on the ice and get a coach who is a leader Plain and simple

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Paul Maurice has just become available.

Too bad

And THIS is exactly where the French language self-imposed rule harms us. Maurice is instantly the best coaching candidate available, with a history of success in multiple cities. He has a track record of not being afraid to go against the grain, and his honesty is refreshing sometimes. If the Habs purposely ignore him because of language, then they are already disadvantaging themselves in terms of their candidate pool. It's not to say there can't be another guy who has success, but if you've cut qualified options out, you're harming yourself. Hire Maurice, hire him a translator for press conferences, ask him to take French lessons in the off-season...

53 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

And THIS is exactly where the French language self-imposed rule harms us. Maurice is instantly the best coaching candidate available, with a history of success in multiple cities. He has a track record of not being afraid to go against the grain, and his honesty is refreshing sometimes. If the Habs purposely ignore him because of language, then they are already disadvantaging themselves in terms of their candidate pool. It's not to say there can't be another guy who has success, but if you've cut qualified options out, you're harming yourself. Hire Maurice, hire him a translator for press conferences, ask him to take French lessons in the off-season...

After all the years he has coached I just don't see him feeling the need to take french lessons! But who knows perhaps he has a burning desire to come here and never quite measure up to the insane standards that the french media will put on him!