The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ducharme Fired!!!

ramcharger440

53 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Do you think we're going to be good next year? I fully expect us to be pitiful next season as well.

IF we were healthy, i think we'd be a bubble team right now. I think losing Price and Weber has been huge but i think those first 15 games or so sealed our whole season. After that it was just bad luck after bad luck. 

I think we'll likely get worse after the trade dealine but then we will get players back next year.   We also have a pretty good chance at adding an impact player with at lottery pick at the draft.  

All this is to say: I dont think we're going to be on anyone's list of favourites but with some healthy players, a few new additions etc, i woudlnt be surprised at all if we're in the thick of a playoff race this time next year.   No way we are going to be this bad, again imho. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Do you think we're going to be good next year? I fully expect us to be pitiful next season as well.

I don't expect us to be this bad. Do you want DD for another year??? My point was let's get the new guy in to establish his system, so it doesn't take 20 games into next season. 

34 minutes ago, maas_art said:

IF we were healthy, i think we'd be a bubble team right now. I think losing Price and Weber has been huge but i think those first 15 games or so sealed our whole season. After that it was just bad luck after bad luck. 

I think we'll likely get worse after the trade dealine but then we will get players back next year.   We also have a pretty good chance at adding an impact player with at lottery pick at the draft.  

All this is to say: I dont think we're going to be on anyone's list of favourites but with some healthy players, a few new additions etc, i woudlnt be surprised at all if we're in the thick of a playoff race this time next year.   No way we are going to be this bad, again imho. 

I dont think we will be as bad as we are this year, that would a tough act to follow. But, i really do see us being bad again next season, you will not just be down Weber, you will likely not have Weber, Petry and Chariot. latter two being moved 3 of our top 4 deeman gone. And if Edmunston comes back, how effective will he be without Petry along side him.

Guhle may well be our best deeman next season ??? A first year rookie.. If we trade Petry and Chariot, and get picks and or some prospects- we may well have the worst dee in the league next season - we are close to that now and that is with Petry and Chariot in the lineup.

Price??? Huge questions marks on him as well. And if he does come back and he has the dee in front of him who I think he will have next season.. 40 shots a game how long will he last??

And no one on the back end capable of getting the puck to the forwards, well hello Bedard or Mickov...

16 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I dont think we will be as bad as we are this year, that would a tough act to follow. But, i really do see us being bad again next season, you will not just be down Weber, you will likely not have Weber, Petry and Chariot. latter two being moved 3 of our top 4 deeman gone. And if Edmunston comes back, how effective will he be without Petry along side him.

Guhle may well be our best deeman next season ??? A first year rookie.. If we trade Petry and Chariot, and get picks and or some prospects- we may well have the worst dee in the league next season - we are close to that now and that is with Petry and Chariot in the lineup.

Price??? Huge questions marks on him as well. And if he does come back and he has the dee in front of him who I think he will have next season.. 40 shots a game how long will he last??

And no one on the back end capable of getting the puck to the forwards, well hello Bedard or Mickov...

i think that Chiarot is almost certain gone.  Weber is probably never playing again.  If we move Petry, my guess is we will get a dman back so that's possibly one spot. Then you have Edmundson and Romanov in your top 4.  A bunch of 3rd pairing guys.   I agree that its possible a guy like Guhle or Norlinder steps up but most likely we're going to need to add some bodies.   There are some intriguing UFA this summer. Subban, Letang, Hertl , Gaudreau, Kadri, Forsberg even Malkin - some wont make it to UFA, some will be looking for way too much but if we make a few moves that get us closer & we end up with just a couple of holes i could see Hughes making a move or two. 

There's definitely question marks & I would agree with you that if all we do is lose vets & add prospects/picks we wont be very good next year but Hughes and Gorton have said some things that make me believe they think this team can be turned around quicker than we might expect. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

i think that Chiarot is almost certain gone.  Weber is probably never playing again.  If we move Petry, my guess is we will get a dman back so that's possibly one spot. Then you have Edmundson and Romanov in your top 4.  A bunch of 3rd pairing guys.   I agree that its possible a guy like Guhle or Norlinder steps up but most likely we're going to need to add some bodies.   There are some intriguing UFA this summer. Subban, Letang, Hertl , Gaudreau, Kadri, Forsberg even Malkin - some wont make it to UFA, some will be looking for way too much but if we make a few moves that get us closer & we end up with just a couple of holes i could see Hughes making a move or two. 

There's definitely question marks & I would agree with you that if all we do is lose vets & add prospects/picks we wont be very good next year but Hughes and Gorton have said some things that make me believe they think this team can be turned around quicker than we might expect. 

Yup. They're not giving Petry away unless they get full value,,, which to me means a D coming back plus. I don't expect him to be moved honestly. The Covid situation could be closer to normal next year which would resolve his family issues.

I fully expect Guhle makes this team next season ( he was a late cut this year) and Romanov will be entrenched in our top four by then. One more acquisition, or another surprise addition from the kids, and this D won't be as bad as what we've seen this year IMO. Add a coach who implements a team oriented defense rather then the stunned group out there under DD,, and that spells instant improvement IMO. A healthy Price rather then the revolving door in goal we've seen this year should also go a long way. 

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I don't expect us to be this bad. Do you want DD for another year??? My point was let's get the new guy in to establish his system, so it doesn't take 20 games into next season. 

No, I don't want DD for another year. I just don't think keeping him around to end this season will do any damage to the team's prospects going forward.

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

I don't think we'd be dead last, but I'm not sure we'd be a bubble team either. Price has been mediocre for years. Sure, he had an excellent playoff run, but I don't think he'll make us a playoff team next year.

The loss of Weber was bigger than I expected it to be.

20 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't think we'd be dead last, but I'm not sure we'd be a bubble team either. Price has been mediocre for years. Sure, he had an excellent playoff run, but I don't think he'll make us a playoff team next year.

I dont think price was mediocre i think the defense was sub par and let him down more often than not.

55 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

34 minutes ago, AH64 said:

I don't think price was mediocre. I think the defense was sub par and let him down more often than not.

No.  I too believe Carey Price was mediocre. Last 2 playoffs, he was lights out.  During the seasons, and for a few, he was average at best. During the playoffs, the defense let him down a lot, but he was up to the task. So definitely not, are we a bubble team with CP. As for Weber?  I don't think he's a deal breaker. We were sub par with him in the line-up, just didn't have so many injuries, and still just barely made it.

FWIW, Richardson met the media today instead of DD, which was a bit odd, although Eric Engels said it was a media request to speak to Richardson that prompted this. That said, where there's smoke there's fire... if Richardson was the spokesperson and the interim last year, have to think he's the favorite for interim again now.

If this guy was a good coach at some point he is not anymore! The guy's are done with him and so am I! he has to have the worst record in team history! This team is rudderless! even if we get a good replacement I just can't see us winning much! and how can management evaluate players with the gong show we are seeing! it is not like Petry suddenly forgot how to play hockey or Caufield forgot how to hit the net with a shot! these guys are so confused right now it is disgusting!

The status of assistant coaches Alex Burrows, Éric Gravel, Mario Leblanc, Trevor Letowski, Éric Raymond and Luke Richardson remains unchanged.

The Canadiens' next head coach will be announced later today

13 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

The status of assistant coaches Alex Burrows, Éric Gravel, Mario Leblanc, Trevor Letowski, Éric Raymond and Luke Richardson remains unchanged.

The Canadiens' next head coach will be announced later today

Very curious to see if this is interim or the person they were after all this time. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Even I am starting to come around to the "fire him now" bandwagon. :lol: 7-1 against NJ. Pretty bad.

The nice thing is that even if we get a new guy who gets us winning some games, we still probably end up a lottery team.  I said earlier in the year I still sort of expect us to bounce back a little. I dont think we'll end up dead last. But a top 5 pick is almost a certainty. 

Just now, maas_art said:

Very curious to see if this is interim or the person they were after all this time. 

If it's not an interim guy then i would hope they've secretly been interviewing candidates for awhile. That would explain to me why it's taken him so long. Would have made more sense to have done it before the break and taken the week off to interview.

• H_T_L locked this topic