The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Chiarot Traded to Florida

ramcharger440

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The Chiarot situation will be tell us a lot about how good/terrible our new GM President of Hockey Operations is. If Chiarot is with this team next season, I will have no faith in the next 10 years either.

honestly every day he's still not traded makes me think less of how the team is being handled right now. Everyone can see Chiarots value and that he clearly needs to be moved. What is the hold up? If he gets injured we lose everything. 

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

So Chiarot aka Bobby Orr is tied for second in goals on the team.........Wow! what can we get for him in the real world? a first rounder for sure but it sure would be nice to get a PMD prospect too! what do you guys think would be fair for such a gifted goal scoring machine....

Chiarot actually scored goals for a D man, he's always done this. Yeah clearly a first-rounder that question is what else. a 1st and a defensive prospect makes sense, but I don't think you get an A prospect for just Chiarot, maybe more a B prospect, unless you forgo the 1st rounder completely and just get a really good prospect. In terms of draft picks he's worth about a first and a third (maybe make that third a second, or a fourth, but about there)

I hope we start seeing movement soon

13 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The Chiarot situation will be tell us a lot about how good/terrible our new GM President of Hockey Operations is. If Chiarot is with this team next season, I will have no faith in the next 10 years either.

if he signs for cheap id be happy to have him.

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

honestly every day he's still not traded makes me think less of how the team is being handled right now. Everyone can see Chiarots value and that he clearly needs to be moved. What is the hold up? If he gets injured we lose everything. 

Chiarot actually scored goals for a D man, he's always done this. Yeah clearly a first-rounder that question is what else. a 1st and a defensive prospect makes sense, but I don't think you get an A prospect for just Chiarot, maybe more a B prospect, unless you forgo the 1st rounder completely and just get a really good prospect. In terms of draft picks he's worth about a first and a third (maybe make that third a second, or a fourth, but about there)

I hope we start seeing movement soon

I would be looking for a first rounder in 2023. I have read that that draft is gonna be deep.

18 minutes ago, habsisme said:

You need another team to make a trade .  Maybe no one willing to take on an extra body / salary  1/2 way into the season . The other team has to clear bodies / salary to make it work.  Its not as easy as just trade him

6 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

So Chiarot aka Bobby Orr is tied for second in goals on the team.........Wow! what can we get for him in the real world? a first rounder for sure but it sure would be nice to get a PMD prospect too! what do you guys think would be fair for such a gifted goal scoring machine....

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would be looking for a first rounder in 2023. I have read that that draft is gonna be deep.

I believe it was Eric Engels who polled a number of scouts/GMs and the consensus was that the starting price would be at least a 1st rounder and likely another piece (such as a 3rd rounder or a prospect). Chiarot is exactly what a lot of teams are looking for towards the playoffs:

- Big guy who can play tough

- Eats up a lot of minutes

- Is a de facto 1st pairing D man for us right now

- Scoring goals this year while playing both special team

Again, if Savard was worth a 1st last year, then Chiarot is a better player and should be worth more. The keys to a good deal for us IMO will be

1. Dealing him to a team that still has a chance at missing the playoffs this year or dealing him for a 2023 1st to a team that might be all in this year but not as good next year. I've also pushed this latter part as a good strategy because the 2023 draft is deeper and because there's more variability that might allow for a good team this year to be a lottery team next year.

2. Trading him soon enough that he doesn't get hurt beforehand (eg breaking his hand in a fight again).

42 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I believe it was Eric Engels who polled a number of scouts/GMs and the consensus was that the starting price would be at least a 1st rounder and likely another piece (such as a 3rd rounder or a prospect). Chiarot is exactly what a lot of teams are looking for towards the playoffs:

- Big guy who can play tough

- Eats up a lot of minutes

- Is a de facto 1st pairing D man for us right now

- Scoring goals this year while playing both special team

Again, if Savard was worth a 1st last year, then Chiarot is a better player and should be worth more. The keys to a good deal for us IMO will be

1. Dealing him to a team that still has a chance at missing the playoffs this year or dealing him for a 2023 1st to a team that might be all in this year but not as good next year. I've also pushed this latter part as a good strategy because the 2023 draft is deeper and because there's more variability that might allow for a good team this year to be a lottery team next year.

2. Trading him soon enough that he doesn't get hurt beforehand (eg breaking his hand in a fight again).

Yeah point two is a big one! if we wait we may get more but we may also loose out on anything if he gets a season ending injury we lose him for nothing!

5 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I've been down on Chariot's play at times... but at 30 years old, as a very good second pairing d-man, I would like to keep him around in a leadership role for younger players.

We don’t really have the cap room to extend his contract to likely another $3M plus and 3-4 year term that he would be looking for. We have Petry and Edmundson for mentoring young players. We can’t keep everyone, and of those 3 players, Chiarot has the most trade return value in this hockey is a business of winning world. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

We don’t really have the cap room to extend his contract to likely another $3M plus and 3-4 year term that he would be looking for. We have Petry and Edmundson for mentoring young players. We can’t keep everyone, and of those 3 players, Chiarot has the most trade return value in this hockey is a business of winning world. 

Yeah and frankly I find Eddy to be quite a bit better than Chiarot, he sure helped Petry find his groove last year! not so much with Chiarot!

22 minutes ago, AH64 said:

shame petry sucks this year i would much prefer trading petry over chiarot. 

Hmm don't know if I would go that far! Petry is having a tough go for sure but he brings more than Chiarot most of the time. Now if Petry is just done and does not start putting up points again then you would be on point! Ciarot is better as trade bait because of his contract.

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Anybody know which teams he has on his list that he can't be traded too? Apparently it's 10 teams.

Don't know what they are, but if we're trying to be logical, he's a UFA after this season, so he knows he's able to walk after the end of the year if he doesn't like where he ended up. So my guess is he's ruled out teams that are poorly managed or that don't have a shot at winning much... I'd venture Arizona, Seattle, Buffalo, Columbus, Ottawa, Detroit, NJ, Chicago, Islanders, and maybe Philly.

Given that he's Canadian and chose to sign in Montreal as a UFA, he's likely not ignoring Canadian teams and would be okay with playing in worse climates. Of the teams rumored to be interested in him (Stl, LA, Cal, Bos, Tor, NYR, Col, Pit, Fla), I'd have a hard time seeing him rejecting a trade to one of them and turning down a chance to compete for a Cup, especially after getting a taste of it last year and especially knowing he's not back in Montreal and moving regardless of whether he accepts a trade now or not. There's not much advantage for him to say no to a trade.

28 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

So they played him on the right to showcase him last night. I felt he played better on the right! did anyone else feel the same way? just an observation.

I have read a few articles bashing Ben for his stats, but MSL even put him out in OT which is a better sign and he jumped into a few rushes. I missed who Ben had as his LHD partner. The articles are a little unfair as the whole team's metrics are deflated. He can be a serviceable defenseman when paired with an effective partner - our problem with Ben is that he duplicated many defensemen components we had already, when what we needed was a puck mover with more offensive flair / force. I thought Ben played a very capable game yesterday. 

• H_T_L changed the title to Chiarot Trade to Florida
  • H_T_L changed the title to Chiarot Traded to Florida
  • H_T_L locked this topic