The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

IIHF World Junior Championship 2021-2022

kinot-2

40 minutes ago, claremont said:

Has Shane Wright even played a few shifts? Has looked pretty invisible or I have not noticed him at all

Never saw him play before this tournament. Hasn't done anything to impress me yet. We score 11 goals and he get's 1 assist on the PP. Not seeing what all the hype is about.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Never saw him play before this tournament. Hasn't done anything to impress me yet. We score 11 goals and he get's 1 assist on the PP. Not seeing what all the hype is about.

Still waiting for Goal Caufield to do something 

50 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Difference is that Wright is supposed to be some kind of saviour worth tanking a season for. Looks more like another Wickenheiser from the little i've seen of this kid.

lol

I did read that he is not considered  a generational talent ala Crosby , Mcdavid, Mathews etc . so if we Habs fans are banking on tanking to pick him overall  and change the fortunes of the franchise we may want to temper our expectations 

Its that  other 16 yr old that the Habs should suck for 

12 hours ago, claremont said:

Has Shane Wright even played a few shifts? Has looked pretty invisible or I have not noticed him at all

11 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I agree that he's been pretty 'meh' but i also dont put too much stock in a single tournament.

No excuses for Wright because the elite guys usually play well against older players but  he is only 17 and most guys there are 19. Thats not an insignificant difference - there's a lot of hockey growth for most players in those years. 

32 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

lol

I did read that he is not considered  a generational talent ala Crosby , Mcdavid, Mathews etc . so if we Habs fans are banking on tanking to pick him overall  and change the fortunes of the franchise we may want to temper our expectations 

Its that  other 16 yr old that the Habs should suck for 

True. Most dont consider him as a McDavid or Crosby etc but ive heard comparison to #1 centres like Aho or Bergeron. I can live with that.  If we get the #1 pick we cannot afford to fail though so if they think a Savoie or Nemec are can't fail prospects id be all for that.

As for Connor Bedard - if he keeps rising on the projectile he well could be a generational talent.  I dont know that we'll be bad enough to challenge for him next year though.  This year has been the perfect storm of a tank. I think we could have easily finished in the 10th-15th draft position if it wasnt for all the bad luck, all at once. 

33 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/world-juniors/article/report-iihf-cancels-remainder-2022-world-juniors-due-covid-19/

Personally given the rise of the new variant, I don't think they should have gone forward in the first place and the NHL should be back to bubble hockey

Just a matter of time,  I figure.

With the cancellation of this tournament i'm really up in the air about this Wright kid being the right choice for us if we win the lottery. Not having another look at him only complicates things going forward. I really hope Gordon does his homework on this kid.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

With the cancellation of this tournament i'm really up in the air about this Wright kid being the right choice for us if we win the lottery. Not having another look at him only complicates things going forward. I really hope Gordon does his homework on this kid.

Well, let's hope that all the leagues can still play some meaningful games, or we may be Ill prepared for our first chance at the #1 OAP in a very long time. We cannot afford to get it wrong.

40 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Well, let's hope that all the leagues can still play some meaningful games, or we may be Ill prepared for our first chance at the #1 OAP in a very long time. We cannot afford to get it wrong.

wrong year for the Habs to be in the running for the 1st overall pick .   IMO

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Yep....Habs better keep their options open. 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think 1 draft pick like Wright,  Kemell, Lavoie, Cooley, Lambert, Nemec is going to pay off immediately and rescue us. That’s for all the negative Nanc err “Karen’s” that want to go “woe is us we picked the wrong year to tank”

This is going to take a combination of some picks working out and trades for prospects - Gorton has to do a lot of homework to build depth in case 1 or 2 are inevitable misses. 

3 minutes ago, claremont said:

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think 1 draft pick like Wright,  Kemell, Lavoie, Cooley, Lambert, Nemec is going to pay off immediately and rescue us. That’s for all the negative Nanc err “Karen’s” that want to go “woe is us we picked the wrong year to tank”

This is going to take a combination of some picks working out and trades for prospects - Gorton has to do a lot of homework to build depth in case 1 or 2 are inevitable misses. 

Yeah,,,,it's obvious one pick won't turn things around by itself immediately, but a quality young NHL player wouldn't hurt the rebuild. I'm just not sold on Wright being the best available from the little i've seen of him in this tournament. 

10 minutes ago, claremont said:

That would be me you're referring to :6280:

Sorry , just hearing so much Wright talk  like he's a Godsend . Heck there's no guarantee Montreal will get the 1 st pick  . And like I said previously Im still waiting for the much hyped " Goal "  Caufield to starting score some goals 

19 hours ago, electron58 said:

I guess we'll just have to ensure we're in the running for the number one pick in 2023 as well. :ph34r:

The IIHF announced seven new positive COIVD-19 tests from the world junior hockey championship on Thursday, following the cancellation of the tournament the day before.

A member of the Canadian team tested positive. as did two members of Sweden's team, as well as one member each from Russia, Germany and Slovakia. An on-ice official also returned a positive test.

• H_T_L locked this topic