The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Dec. 14, 7 PM, Habs Roll into Pitts. RDS, TSN.

kinot-2

9 minutes ago, maas_art said:

cant help but feel bad for the players who are not injured.  we can just not watch but they have to show up. I know, i know they make tons of money but man it cant be fun.  

Yes and no. I 100% believe it makes it less fun for them to feel like they're not playing for the Cup. That's what you play for in general if you're a pro athlete. That said, there should be other motivations. Many of these guys are young and don't have assured jobs or may want to move up in the line-up over time. I'm thinking of Poehling, Caufield, Norlinder, Romanov, Pezzetta, Ylonen, Montembeault, etc. These guys have a lot to prove if they want to have long NHL careers. You have other guys who may be on the other end of that spectrum and may be playing to stay in the league going forward... Savard (he's at risk of a buyout under the new regime, since he clearly doesn't fit the description of what Gorton values), Byron (once he's back), Wideman, Niku, Paquette, Perreault, etc. These guys might be out of the NHL soon enough. Then you have a couple of guys playing for the money on their next contracts: Chiarot, Lehkonen, and Kulak this year but also guys like Allen and Drouin who only have a year and a half to prove they can earn a multi-year contract.You have others like Petry and Gallagher and Armia who need to prove they haven't fallen off a cliff, and still others like Suzuki who might want to show they can be elite or be a captain. And then there's just the pride of being good at your job. So not sure I buy that there's no motivation to succeed, even though I agree with you that it's a natural downer trying to build up to that motivation when your primary driver is gone.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Yes and no. I 100% believe it makes it less fun for them to feel like they're not playing for the Cup. That's what you play for in general if you're a pro athlete. That said, there should be other motivations. Many of these guys are young and don't have assured jobs or may want to move up in the line-up over time. I'm thinking of Poehling, Caufield, Norlinder, Romanov, Pezzetta, Ylonen, Montembeault, etc. These guys have a lot to prove if they want to have long NHL careers. You have other guys who may be on the other end of that spectrum and may be playing to stay in the league going forward... Savard (he's at risk of a buyout under the new regime, since he clearly doesn't fit the description of what Gorton values), Byron (once he's back), Wideman, Niku, Paquette, Perreault, etc. These guys might be out of the NHL soon enough. Then you have a couple of guys playing for the money on their next contracts: Chiarot, Lehkonen, and Kulak this year but also guys like Allen and Drouin who only have a year and a half to prove they can earn a multi-year contract.You have others like Petry and Gallagher and Armia who need to prove they haven't fallen off a cliff, and still others like Suzuki who might want to show they can be elite or be a captain. And then there's just the pride of being good at your job. So not sure I buy that there's no motivation to succeed, even though I agree with you that it's a natural downer trying to build up to that motivation when your primary driver is gone.

I agree with everything you are saying here but, getting you face smeared into the boards or getting smoked by an open ice hit or making a ton of great saves only to lose anyways night after night because your coach has no system or at least one your team can execute gets old really fast! and when the team is torn apart like it is right now an you don't even know half the players on your own team it has to wear on the guy's. No excuse but perhaps an insight into the mindset of a lot of  the young guys who are just starting out!

11 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree with everything you are saying here but, getting you face smeared into the boards or getting smoked by an open ice hit or making a ton of great saves only to lose anyways night after night because your coach has no system or at least one your team can execute gets old really fast! and when the team is torn apart like it is right now an you don't even know half the players on your own team it has to wear on the guy's. No excuse but perhaps an insight into the mindset of a lot of  the young guys who are just starting out!

And I absolutely believe this too. I think the players to a man know Ducharme is a terrible coach and that he has no plan. Not any different than Therrien. Both of them rely on trying to be motivators, but they're awful tacticians. If a team produces a plan to suppress what the Habs are doing, DD and MT have no counterplan. Neither one was ever able to make adjustments. And when they talk to the media, it's always about needing to give more effort or playing more like a team or leaving it all on the ice. It's just coach-speak for not having any type of strategy yourself. Julien was by and large a much better coach who actually had a system designed to generate puck control and chances, and he made adjustments as he went. CJ's main downfall was that he still graded players based on an antiquated system of what was relevant, but his system was great.

So I completely agree with you. While I do think players have motivations that they can find, it's got to be disconcerting playing for a coach that you don't have faith in and where you don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. I can almost guarantee a player would rather be playing for a team like Ottawa or Detroit or Anaheim or San Jose, which seem to have plans to improve in the long run, rather than teams like Buffalo, Vancouver, Arizona, or now Montreal where we just seem to be circling the drain without making positive changes. The only upside is bringing in Gorton, and now we'll see if he can affect the culture here. But yeah, I'm with you on the lack of coaching. Not inspiring to the players to know they're starting every game at a disadvantage because of how numb the coaches are to strategy and maybe doesn't help that everyone believes Ducharme is a sitting duck waiting to be fired at the end of the season.

Here’s how the forward lines and defense pairings looked at practice Monday:

Hoffman – Suzuki – Perreault
Drouin – Evans – Armia
Lehkonen – Poehling – Caufield
Pezzetta – Paquette – Dauphin/Ylönen

Chiarot – Savard
Kulak – Clague
Romanov – Wideman

Schueneman – Petry

Here’s how the forward lines and defence pairings looked at practice Monday:

Drouin – Evans – Armia

Chiarot – Savard
Kulak – Clague
Romanov – Wideman
Schueneman – Petry

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Drouin – Evans – Armia

Chiarot – Savard
Kulak – Clague
Romanov – Wideman
Schueneman – Petry

:7013:

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Let's go youth movement.:frech1:

Well they have  – Evans –– Poehling – Caufield
Pezzetta –  Dauphin/Ylönen ( 6 young guys ) up front but why bury CC on the 3rd line . There is no chance ( zero )  of making the playoffs this year - just throw CC out there in all situations and let him learn .

5 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Drouin – Evans – Armia

Chiarot – Savard
Kulak – Clague
Romanov – Wideman
Schueneman – Petry

Doesn't look any different,  than what I posted earlier. Thought there would be a change with Evans but......

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic