The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

GM Kent Hughes

H_T_L

Hailey Wickenheiser is mentioned!

With the recent hirings there have been some great choices and I just hope that panic does not set in here and we make a huge error. I have no problem with a female Mgr as longs she is qualified to do the job. This would be a first and that alone would bring yet another element to an already highly respnsible position.

16 minutes ago, richard464 said:

With the recent hirings there have been some great choices and I just hope that panic does not set in here and we make a huge error. I have no problem with a female Mgr as longs she is qualified to do the job. This would be a first and that alone would bring yet another element to an already highly respnsible position.

Hailey would be good, I am not sure how good her french is? For me man woman I don't care as long as they have the chops to get the job done right!

14 minutes ago, richard464 said:

IMO Hailey would be one of the leading female candidates but once again we are faced with the language handicap. Not sure if she meets that requirement. If we're going to be the first organization to go this route i would hope we'd seek out the best available, regardless of language, but we all know that won't happen.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Montreal Canadiens female general manager candidates - TSN.ca

Wondering who the female candidates are??

Would wonder about Daniele Sauvageau and Danielle Goyette as being two of the possible candidates. Both well-known French-Canadian figures in women's hockey.

Don't know if Meghan Chayka speaks French, but she's been rumored to be another.

• 3 weeks later...

TVAS reporting - Geoff Molson built an interview committee that consists of Jeff Gorton, Michael Andlauer and Bob Gainey. The Canadiens have decided they want to cover all their bases when it comes to hiring the right man or woman for the job. The interviews for the job and expected to begin next week and due to pandemic restrictions are most likely going to be held virtually.

The Canadiens have lined up a very impressive group of candidates for the job. That list includes the likes of Patrick Roy, Daniel Brière (Philadelphia Flyers), Mathieu Darche (Tampa Bay Lightning), Marc Denis, Kent Hughes, Stéphane Quintal, Danièle Sauvageau and Émilie Castonguay. There is also expected to be at least a couple unmentioned candidates in the running for the position as well.

4 minutes ago, claremont said:

TVAS reporting - Geoff Molson built an interview committee that consists of Jeff Gorton, Michael Andlauer and Bob Gainey. The Canadiens have decided they want to cover all their bases when it comes to hiring the right man or woman for the job. The interviews for the job and expected to begin next week and due to pandemic restrictions are most likely going to be held virtually.

The Canadiens have lined up a very impressive group of candidates for the job. That list includes the likes of Patrick Roy, Daniel Brière (Philadelphia Flyers), Mathieu Darche (Tampa Bay Lightning), Marc Denis, Kent Hughes, Stéphane Quintal, Danièle Sauvageau and Émilie Castonguay. There is also expected to be at least a couple unmentioned candidates in the running for the position as well.

I like that Gainey is involved 

Just a couple of bad years. Already half-way through one. 

On 12/30/2021 at 4:02 PM, claremont said:

Disappointed that Martin Madden Jr. isn't on this shortlist. As I've discussed, his scouting background and ability to assess talent makes him a valuable complement to Gorton.

Of the guys here, I'd be against Roy joining. I'd consider him as a coach in some circumstances, but as a GM, not sure what he brings and I can see him clashing with Gorton if he's in a two-man power struggle. Also not a fan of Quintal based on his uselessness with the DoPS. He was either a yes-man with no integrity or completely incompetent at his job in that role, so nothing he has done has shown me he should be a GM.

Of these candidates, the ones I'd be most interested in would be Kent Hughes, Marc Denis, and Daniele Sauvageau. Don't know anything about Emilie Castonguay to pronounce one way or the other.

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Disappointed that Martin Madden Jr. isn't on this shortlist. As I've discussed, his scouting background and ability to assess talent makes him a valuable complement to Gorton.

Of the guys here, I'd be against Roy joining. I'd consider him as a coach in some circumstances, but as a GM, not sure what he brings and I can see him clashing with Gorton if he's in a two-man power struggle. Also not a fan of Quintal based on his uselessness with the DoPS. He was either a yes-man with no integrity or completely incompetent at his job in that role, so nothing he has done has shown me he should be a GM.

Of these candidates, the ones I'd be most interested in would be Kent Hughes, Marc Denis, and Daniele Sauvageau. Don't know anything about Emilie Castonguay to pronounce one way or the other.

I suppose Madden could still be on the list, but just hasn't been reported as being on the list. Or perhaps Gorton reached out to determine interest and he declined. Suppose we'll never know.

I am very much against Roy coming on here in a GM role. And I agree with your comments on Quintal as well.

On 12/30/2021 at 3:02 PM, claremont said:

My first choice would be Luongo. He should be on that list. 

22 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

It’s interesting that Martin Madden Jr was not named the GM of the ducks after The Bob Murray resignation and they brought in an outsider Jeff Solomon. I’m guessing Martin continues to be content as an assistant. 
Sauvageau has to be the leading woman candidate- Emilie is an emerging agent but doesn’t have any significant clients to warrant this rather large leap. 
It may be Kent Hughes job to lose, or perhaps Darche. I don’t see a body of mgmt work with the other candidates Luongo included, but they are all trainees under Gorton so my point is moot. 

On 1/1/2022 at 7:15 PM, BigTed3 said:

18 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I suppose Madden could still be on the list, but just hasn't been reported as being on the list. Or perhaps Gorton reached out to determine interest and he declined. Suppose we'll never know.

I am very much against Roy coming on here in a GM role. And I agree with your comments on Quintal as well.

13 hours ago, claremont said:

It’s interesting that Martin Madden Jr was not named the GM of the ducks after The Bob Murray resignation and they brought in an outsider Jeff Solomon. I’m guessing Martin continues to be content as an assistant. 
Sauvageau has to be the leading woman candidate- Emilie is an emerging agent but doesn’t have any significant clients to warrant this rather large leap. 
It may be Kent Hughes job to lose, or perhaps Darche. I don’t see a body of mgmt work with the other candidates Luongo included, but they are all trainees under Gorton so my point is moot. 

Yeah im not going to read too much into that list at this point as Im sure some of it is probably more about optics (IE maybe Roy isnt even being considered but it looks good they interviewed him) and as JR mentioned, maybe Madden isnt interested in being a GM. Doesnt mean he wouldnt want to come here as an assistant GM - although that gets trickier: most teams will let you talk with other teams for a clear promotion but not for a lateral positional move. 

I would be totally against Roy as a candidate . Considering the problems he had with Joe Sakic in Colorado I'd say his temper and ego would be an issue ...sure you want passion but not chaos ...I'm leaning towards Daniel Briere and Roberto Luongo both former players , both French speaking , both with the right temperament and both with some experience already 

48 minutes ago, AH64 said:

Roy and Hartley fingers crossed.

32 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I would be totally against Roy as a candidate . Considering the problems he had with Joe Sakic in Colorado I'd say his temper and ego would be an issue ...sure you want passion but not chaos ...I'm leaning towards Daniel Briere and Roberto Luongo both former players , both French speaking , both with the right temperament and both with some experience already 

I honestly dont have a first - or worst - choice at this point.

Even Roy - while on paper its a bit of a concern - its been 6 years since he was in management... a lot can happen to a person's attitude and outlook in 6 years.  There were things I liked about Roy and I honestly dont know enough about any of these guys & gals to really make a great decision.   Remember that when DD was hired most of us were like "what great pedigree, one of the best candidates available" etc.

28 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Even Roy - while on paper its a bit of a concern - its been 6 years since he was in management... a lot can happen to a person's attitude and outlook in 6 years.  There were things I liked about Roy and I honestly dont know enough about any of these guys & gals to really make a great decision.   Remember that when DD was hired most of us were like "what great pedigree, one of the best candidates available" etc.

It is tough to really know what will work and what won't but we can assume that a guy like Roy won't suddenly lose that intense side that makes him a loose cannon from time to time! as for DD  wow! he is just not the right guy! what blows my mind the most is his stubborn side he will not try new things and once he has a game plan he seems unable to make an adjustment to what other teams throw at him. We are not a team that is strong enough to dictate how a game will be played right now we have to adapt and he can't or won't.

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Considering the "list" is fairly thin at this point I don't actually know what any of them would bring truthfully ...maybe a   skilled negotiator in necessary trades is what we need but who out there and available ?...somebody who hasn't rankled any GMs of other teams and doesn't have a reputation around the league ...I can't imagine Sakic and Roy swinging a trade ...look at Nolan a great coach and never worked again based on his reputation in the old boys club ...so maybe a fresh face with no skeletons  might be what the GM position needs.  

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Remember that when DD was hired most of us were like "what great pedigree, one of the best candidates available" etc.

Well we do that with our young prospects as well . They all appear to have this vast potential .

I never thought this team was going to make the playoffs this year but I wonder how DD and the team would have done if

1) There was  a legitimate # 1 goalie .  As well as JA has done I don't think he's a starter that can be relied upon for 50 + games . We can say he's a 1B but what does that mean ? The Leafs said Petr Mrázek would be their 1B goalie but he's  back up 

2) There was  a # 1 D man . Be it a LH or RH . With Weber gone . We thought Petry would assume the # 1 RHD man role but this year hasn't gone to well for # 26 . You look at the Habs D this year and is their anyone who would  fit the # 1 to # 4 D spot on any other team ? How many of these guys would even be in the NHL if the Habs didn't have so many issues back there .

3) Same issue as every year no legitimate # 1 C , never mind # 2 C. I though Dvorak would do better but it just hasnt worked out . Suzuki is OK but he's not putting up # 1 C stats . 

4) injuries to the fowards - just bad luck everywhere 

5) still waiting for Goal Caufield to do something . For a guy some thought would win rookie of the year he's on pace for 3 or 4 goals . Maybe he's not being used properly , I dont know  ; Im not an evaluator of talent but at some point a player has to take responsibility for his own play or the team has to put him in a position to succeed . 

• H_T_L changed the title to GM Kent Hughes