The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who would you choose to be the next head coach?

20 minutes ago, Vladimer-Kholokov said:

If Montreal is looking for a new coach and here are a few people they should consider 

Rikard Gronborg Head coach of team Sweden 

Paul MacLean Assistant For the Maple Leaf's  He was was also former head coach in Ottawa 

Lane Lambert Associate Coach for the Islanders

Pascal Vincent Head coach of the jets farm team

Patrick Roy

Kori Cheverie She is a rising star and very smart. She is definitely going places, needs more seasoning but keep and eye out for her.  

Now, just subtract all of those whoare not bilingual. 

The Habs found a way to finagle around the French-language requirement somewhat with Gorton and then toed the line with Hughes. It suggests they'll stay with a French-speaking coach, so as not to rock the waters too much. While I was not interested in Roy as a GM, if he wants to coach, I think we could likely do worse and I'm not completely against it. That said, I still prefer Joel Bouchard. I think Guy Boucher is in the running, as is Benoit Groulx, who currently heads the Syracuse Crunch but had success in the QMJHL before that. I think it's also possible the Habs reach into the Q for an up-and-coming coach with no NHL experience per say: Stephane Julien, Louis Robitaille, Yanick Jean, or Serge Beausoleil for example. Outside of the box, they could also go with a female candidate like Daniele Sauvageau. Gorton does have ties to Jacques Martin from NY, but I think this regime will likely not opt for a re-tread. Another guy with a Rangers connection to Gorton is Kris Knoblauch, who coaches the Ranger's AHL team in Hartford. He's from Saskatchewan, but he did play a year in France as a player, so maybe he speaks a touch of French. Also from Saskatchewan is Barry Trotz's longtime assistant coach Lane Lambert, who did play a few seasons for the Nordiques back in the day and might have picked up a bit of French from there.

Ultimately, if I were handicapping this, I'd peg the top 5 as

1. Robitaille

2. Boucher

3. Bouchard

4. S. Julien

5. Roy

Most of them are pretty interesting candidates, and as long as we don't go a re-tread route, I think we're already a leg up on where we were before. I also wouldn't mind seeing them bring in an assistant like Mike Johnson, who seems to have a great knowledge of the game or Saku Koivu, who has a history here and could be a respected voice and liaison between players and the head coach.

37 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Jim Montgomery

He who was fired in Dallas because of an alcohol issue and unprofessional behavior... after hearing Hughes talk about wanting a guy with good character, hard to believe Montgomery would make the shortlist, but I guess you never know. Maybe Montgomery has managed to get his life back in order.

lol

While growing up on the West Island of Montreal, Hughes attended Beaconsfield High School and played for the midget triple-A Lac St-Louis Lions, where he was team captain. He later played one season at CEGEP de Saint-Laurent, where one of his teammates was Jim Montgomery, who would go on to play in the NHL and later become a head coach with the Dallas Stars.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-gm-kent-hughes-has-big-coaching-decision-to-make

One coach I wonder if Hughes might have his eye on is Jim Montgomery, a bilingual Montreal native who is now an assistant coach with the St. Louis Blues. Montgomery was fired as head coach of the Dallas Stars during the 2019-20 season for “unprofessional conduct” and later thanked the team because he was battling alcoholism and it allowed him to turn his life around. Hughes and Montgomery were teammates for one season at CEGEP Saint-Laurent before going on to play U.S. college hockey at different schools.

• 3 weeks later...

If the reason this guy hasn't been fired yet is to save Molson some money then maybe he himself should take over the bench so he has to suffer through first hand what he's putting his fan base through. 

Here is an interesting option

Danièle Sauvageau - Canadian ice hockey executive and former coach, and former police officer. Sauvageau was the head coach of the Canadian national women's hockey team that won the gold medal in ice hockey at the 2002 Winter Olympics. 

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY BILINGUAL

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Here is an interesting option

Danièle Sauvageau - Canadian ice hockey executive and former coach, and former police officer. Sauvageau was the head coach of the Canadian national women's hockey team that won the gold medal in ice hockey at the 2002 Winter Olympics. 

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY BILINGUAL

Hey,,, at this point i would send in kinot's daughter ( does she speak French?) . She certainly sounds tough enough, according to kinot himself. :frech1:

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Hey,,, at this point i would send in kinot's daughter ( does she speak French?) . She certainly sounds tough enough, according to kinot himself. :frech1:

3 hours ago, claremont said:

:4224:

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

She has got to be tough to carry the Kinot name and deal with her dad :4224:

Actually, she's not even a hockey fan (where did I go so wrong?) :(

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

If the reason this guy hasn't been fired yet is to save Molson some money then maybe he himself should take over the bench so he has to suffer through first hand what he's putting his fan base through. 

Yeah i dont think its money. Otherwise they'd just promote Richardson.  

14 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I actually wouldn't mind a Babcock or Torts, I think we need a no-nonsense coach. 

Bilingualism is the first requirement in our case.

• H_T_L locked this topic