The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Head Coach Marty St. Louis

2 minutes ago, AH64 said:

this makes no sense, what is going on with this franchise...

Simple answer, French.

The question was asked "Would any other NHL team hire him as an interim coach?"

Answer, "NO".

17 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Confirmed as per TSN radio. 

No NHL coaching experience. 

Well,,,, neither did your daughter and i would have been OK with that, if it meant DD in a Uber. :frech1:

I have no idea why they hired Marty with 0 experience, but at least it wasn't a rehash coach. I imagine it's an interim position.

MB would have given him a 5 year deal no doubt.

"We are very happy to welcome Martin to the Canadiens organization," said Hughes. "Not only are we adding an excellent hockey man, but with Martin we are bringing in a proven winner and a man whose competitive qualities are recognized by all who have crossed his path."

Sounds like another case of Mario Tremblay or Guy Carboneau. New guys,,,same mindset.:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

"We are very happy to welcome Martin to the Canadiens organization," said Hughes. "Not only are we adding an excellent hockey man, but with Martin we are bringing in a proven winner and a man whose competitive qualities are recognized by all who have crossed his path."

Sounds like another case of Mario Tremblay or Guy Carboneau. New guys,,,same mindset.:rolleyes:

Even Gretzky couldn't motivate his team. 

I actually dont mind the move and here's why:

- Do i think St Louis will be a great coach? No, probably not. But I think he'll bring energy and get the room motivated & at least be able to run out the clock on the year.

- Gorton has repeatedly said he didnt want to rush the coaching choice.  Im not sure if he has someone in mind, or would like to get a better sense of his roster etc but the fact that DD was SO BAD really forced his hand. So now your choice is to hire someone decent or someone who likely doesnt have a chance at being here long-term. They went with the latter. 

- The suggestion of Richardson or Burrows was reasonable but there's also a chance Gorton & Hughes want to keep them.  Those two and Burke are all very well respected, I could see the new coach coming in & keeping them. So maybe Gorton & Hughes didnt want to promote one and then lose him this offseason.

Ultimately, I cant see how MSL will be worse than DD.  He might make games interesting, he might be terrible - heck, maybe he's a coaching genuis and no one knew it. Who knows.  But it should still help with the tank and it should at least re-direct the mood in the locker room.

I didn't see that coming but I'm in favour of anyone that isn't DD. Molson is most likely saving $ with this hiring as MSL has zero coaching experience, maybe our special teams can get a boost as he was a "special teams consultant" for Columbus (whatever that is)

Other than character, a winner’s resume, and perhaps some ability to protect his players via handling the media,  MSL has 35 games to develop experience. 
I figure this is just a plug but searching for someone in the QMJHL - we already did that experiment with Ducharme so why repeat the madness of hiring a junior coach? 

25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I actually dont mind the move and here's why:

- Do i think St Louis will be a great coach? No, probably not. But I think he'll bring energy and get the room motivated & at least be able to run out the clock on the year.

- Gorton has repeatedly said he didnt want to rush the coaching choice.  Im not sure if he has someone in mind, or would like to get a better sense of his roster etc but the fact that DD was SO BAD really forced his hand. So now your choice is to hire someone decent or someone who likely doesnt have a chance at being here long-term. They went with the latter. 

- The suggestion of Richardson or Burrows was reasonable but there's also a chance Gorton & Hughes want to keep them.  Those two and Burke are all very well respected, I could see the new coach coming in & keeping them. So maybe Gorton & Hughes didnt want to promote one and then lose him this offseason.

Ultimately, I cant see how MSL will be worse than DD.  He might make games interesting, he might be terrible - heck, maybe he's a coaching genuis and no one knew it. Who knows.  But it should still help with the tank and it should at least re-direct the mood in the locker room.

I'm into the St. Louis move as well. It cannot be worse than Ducharme. And it's just for the remainder of the season unless St. Louis is an absolute coaching master. People wanting someone with experience... How many times have we hired someone with experience and it's gotten us nowhere. I feel like Julien has been the only good coach we've seen for the last ten years.

Prior to joining the Canadiens St Louis had been serving as an assistant coach for the Mid Fairfield Rangers , a AAA team based in the USA with players  aged 13 and under 

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

Prior to joining the Canadiens St Louis had been serving as an assistant coach for the Mid Fairfield Rangers , a AAA team based in the USA with players  aged 13 and under 

Big promotion! :lol:

I mean... how different is it going to be coaching some of our players for the next 30+ games? :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I understand that he was coaching his son as well as Hughes son. 

4 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Then he shoulod feel right at home. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Prior to joining the Canadiens St Louis had been serving as an assistant coach for the Mid Fairfield Rangers , a AAA team based in the USA with players  aged 13 and under.

I guess they figured the talent was comparable. 

Not too worried about it, I feel he will lean on his assistants a lot and he sure will have some idea's about the power play and who should play where! also he will bring some fresh air to the room which must be a nasty place to be right now. No one is expecting him to win so really he can't lose! if the guy suddenly starts getting an honest effort out of these players he will have done his job this guy was a winner through and through I bet the guys will really respect him and work for him. And really how on earth could it het any worse till the end of the season!

Well I have tried to stay away as this season has left me a little speechless, nut this is just too much to resist. We are clearly trying to win at least 10 games or escape what I think is the record low of eleven wins, but unless Marty can stop pucks nothing is going to change. Great chance for Mr. St. Louis and I wish him the best. Ducharme was done either way at the end of the year and now this is a win win for the team. If the team gets worse..... if we improve a little get another coach, but if Marty gets us to 15 wins start the parade we're back!!!  Let's see if anyone else comes off the injury list now or are they throwing themselves down stairs to ensure their out for the season. Where's a players strike when you need it? They are saying Marty is a stats man  so he'll at least have a very strong base line to work from with this group. Someone needs to be recording all the behind the scenes meetings from this year. A new Netflix series would be an instant hit. If I can get through watching a whole first period without changing the channel I will consider Marty a raving success!! 

17 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Well I have tried to stay away as this season has left me a little speechless, nut this is just too much to resist. We are clearly trying to win at least 10 games or escape what I think is the record low of eleven wins, but unless Marty can stop pucks nothing is going to change. Great chance for Mr. St. Louis and I wish him the best. Ducharme was done either way at the end of the year and now this is a win win for the team. If the team gets worse..... if we improve a little get another coach, but if Marty gets us to 15 wins start the parade we're back!!!  Let's see if anyone else comes off the injury list now or are they throwing themselves down stairs to ensure their out for the season. Where's a players strike when you need it? They are saying Marty is a stats man  so he'll at least have a very strong base line to work from with this group. Someone needs to be recording all the behind the scenes meetings from this year. A new Netflix series would be an instant hit. If I can get through watching a whole first period without changing the channel I will consider Marty a raving success!! 

Looks ;like Marty is just here to hold a place and be a good PR man.  No indication he has any idea how to coach an NHL Team.  I think this was all about buying some time with the fans and letting  the free fall continue.

• H_T_L changed the title to Marty St. Louis Named as Coach
  • HabsRuleForever changed the title to Head Coach Marty St. Louis
  • H_T_L locked this topic