The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Head Coach Marty St. Louis

20 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Looks ;like Marty is just here to hold a place and be a good PR man.  No indication he has any idea how to coach an NHL Team.  I think this was all about buying some time with the fans and letting  the free fall continue.

They must be paying him VERY well or they have something lined up for him  in the organization later . 

Why on earth would he take this job, with this train wreck of a team,  with absolutely no experience .

10 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

They must be paying him VERY well or they have something lined up for him  in the organization later . 

Why on earth would he take this job, with this train wreck of a team,  with absolutely no experience .

No Downside Really,  No ones going to blame him for anything. Assistant Coaches will run the day to day. He just needs to be nice to everyone and maybe keep an eye on the young guys to try and make sure they don't get destroyed in this process. 

One rumor is that MSL will actually be an interim coach with no plan to keep the job after the season is over. He may simply be a guy who has agreed to come in to gain experience and do some player evaluation and work with younger guys like Caufield and then perhaps move to another management job in the organization. It would theoretically allow the Habs to take their time making a permanent decision and/or consider candidates who are still employed elsewhere.

The move itself is intriguing. If you're MSL, what's the impetus to join the Habs as an interim coach? If you hope to be the permanent coach you either want to negotiate that up front or you have to be confident you can prove yourself over the second half of this season. Is MSL confident that as a guy with no coaching experience he can come in and ge this team to play .500 or better the rest of the way? He'll likely get some wins via momentum at the beginning, and given the Habs have a really weak schedule in February. But can he hold things together past then? If you're not planning to stay with the Habs, why bother taking this job at all? So the rumor that he might move into management after this season and give Gorton and Hughes eyes and ears in the room the rest of the way makes sense to me. Maybe things work out really well and he stays on, but I think the most intriguing thing today is that interim label. He's not an assistant or farm team coach moving into a temp position, he's a full outsider taking a new job. So the interim is bizarre here.

Further to this, if you're considering the question "who are they waiting for?" then maybe they really don't know and just wanted to get Ducharme away from the team. But if they do have an idea already, have to wonder if it's someone who is currently employed as an assistant coach or a minor league coach. Is is Benoit Groulx, who has ties to the Lightning too? Is it Pascal Vincent? Is it Patrick Roy? If it were someone like Guy Boucher, why not just reach out to him now? I think the plan is still very much to tank the rest of the season, trade away vets and play rookies, and use this as a development year (which is the right idea). So they're not bringing in the permanent guy to take on that role...

47 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Looks ;like Marty is just here to hold a place and be a good PR man.  No indication he has any idea how to coach an NHL Team.  I think this was all about buying some time with the fans and letting  the free fall continue.

Agreed, hopefully he makes the end of the year a little more entertaining

28 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

No Downside Really,  No ones going to blame him for anything. Assistant Coaches will run the day to day. He just needs to be nice to everyone and maybe keep an eye on the young guys to try and make sure they don't get destroyed in this process. 

Next up Lecavalier as AGM.  Him , Hines, Marty and Gorton are all buddies with ties to Rangers,Tampa, Quebec and Hines old agency.  They will have quite the little club going. Where were Marty and Vincent when they were players?   Avoided the Habs like the plague. Anyhow doesn't matter as long as good decisions are made.

Just now, Paul Martin said:

Next up Lecavalier as AGM.  Him , Hines, Marty and Gorton are all buddies with ties to Rangers,Tampa, Quebec and Hines old agency.  They will have quite the little club going. Where were Marty and Vincent when they were players?   Avoided the Habs like the plague. Anyhow doesn't matter as long as good decisions are made.

Another foxhole? :4322:

Well I hope this all works out . Instead of MB hiring his old buddies we got Hughes hiring his younger buddies , so far , with not a lot of experience , actually none . Now hearing Vinny L is going to be the assistant GM . Geez Vinny was a client of his .  

3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Well I hope this all works out . Instead of MB hiring his old buddies we got Hughes hiring his younger buddies , so far , with not a lot of experience , actually none . Now hearing Vinny L is going to be the assistant GM . Geez Vinny was a client of his .  

Yeah, I'm not seeing this. Would make no sense.

24 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

With no great expectations this could get very entertaining ..................if nothing else, at least, there will be no dour DD draining the joy from every game. 

Well, the post-game interview by MSL will/should be different. 

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Martin St. Louis was the special teams consultant for the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2019 along side John Tortorella. He may not have been a coach or assistant coach but he does have some experience and probably learned a lot from Tortorella. The one area we definitely need improvement in is the special teams. Depending on which season he was the consultant (18-19 or 19-20) the Jackets had good or great PK and not so great PP. In 18-19 the PP was 28th running at 15.4% and the PK was tied with Tampa for 1st at 85.0%. In 19-20 the PP was 27th at 15.4% and the PK was 12th at 81.7%. The PK stats are promising but the PP still is somewhat of a concern.

9 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Well; at least Marty is in the HOF and maybe  Vinny too in the future.

Hockey coach or politics- having the most reasonable thought in the constant ebb and flow of new situations. Kind of like riding a horse or screwing up on the sax. Something horrible happens every ten seconds. So, none better than Marty to my mind.

Wow ...not sure what this is all about? The interim is good as paying yet another coach is rediculous! Considering how the team is playing/not playing why would they have eliminated yet another salary behind the bench and put Mdme Bibeau (organ player) behind the bench, DD on the organ and eliminated the new salary? :wacko:

I mean. I think everyone should be willing to give him a shot. MSL has been on the job for one day as interim coach and people already seem way more upset than they should be. I guess I just don't care what happens with this season. :lol:

Hughes, Gorton, and MSL just got here. I'm willing to give them 3-4 seasons to see what they can make of the team.

1 hour ago, AH64 said:

after hearing him speak i am willing to give this guy a shot. i really liked what he had to say googluck marty!

Agree. The fact he is talking about how systems limit skilled players is very promising. 

I like how he said he wanst here to be the "substitute teacher" he wants to stay but understands he needs to prove himself. 

19 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I mean. I think everyone should be willing to give him a shot. MSL has been on the job for one day as interim coach and people already seem way more upset than they should be. I guess I just don't care what happens with this season. :lol:

Hughes, Gorton, and MSL just got here. I'm willing to give them 3-4 seasons to see what they can make of the team.

This is why we've been in a state of rebuild for 30 + years.    Fans talk about wanting to be a perennial contender... well you do that by being bad for several years.   We know this, we understand this but 1/2 a year of tanking & people are losing their crap.    

I was all for trying anybody but DD at this point, because i thought he was toxic to our developing kids. We haven't had success in the pass going with ex players with no experience, but this season is all but loss, so if we're going to go that route again then this would be the year to try it. I hope he's a good teacher and not just a motivator. DD was neither

These guys ( Gorton , hughes ) no more about hockey than I ( we ) do ,.

So that being said  , going to have to go on the assumption they know what they're doing and let this thing  play it self out 

BUT 

Hiring a coach whose only experience is as an assistant   for an  AAA under 13 team is a little puzzling .

We always say we need to hire the best candidate available regardless of language and then they hire a bilingual guy with NO experience  and I  just want to bang my head against a wall 

I know the title is " interim "  but i gotta believe if he isnt named permanent coach at the end of the year, then they got their eye on someone else and MSL gets another lucrative position in the organization , 'cause why else would MSL put himself through this for 2 + months 

So let's see what happens and enjoy the remainder of this train wreck 

• H_T_L changed the title to Marty St. Louis Named as Coach
  • HabsRuleForever changed the title to Head Coach Marty St. Louis
  • H_T_L locked this topic