The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Head Coach Marty St. Louis

3 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

These guys ( Gorton , hughes ) no more about hockey than I ( we ) do ,.

e always say we need to hire the best candidate available regardless of language and then they hire a bilingual guy with NO experience  and I  just want to bang my head against a wall 

I know the title is " interim "  but i gotta believe if he isnt named permanent coach at the end of the year, then they got their eye on someone else and MSL gets another lucrative position in the organization , 'cause why else would MSL put himself through this for 2 + months 

In Gorton & Hughes we trust - Marty has never backed down from a challenge after being told NO you are too small etc. - for 35 games, I am ok with the fresh out of the box thinking - says he coaches on concepts and wants players to make reads vs. a system - interesting approach

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

These guys ( Gorton , hughes ) no more about hockey than I ( we ) do ,.

So that being said  , going to have to go on the assumption they know what they're doing and let this thing  play it self out 

BUT 

Hiring a coach whose only experience is as an assistant   for an  AAA under 13 team is a little puzzling .

We always say we need to hire the best candidate available regardless of language and then they hire a bilingual guy with NO experience  and I  just want to bang my head against a wall 

I know the title is " interim "  but i gotta believe if he isnt named permanent coach at the end of the year, then they got their eye on someone else and MSL gets another lucrative position in the organization , 'cause why else would MSL put himself through this for 2 + months 

So let's see what happens and enjoy the remainder of this train wreck 

if you watch the presser msl explains why he came here.

• H_T_L changed the title to Marty St. Louis Named as Interim Coach

Personally I thought they played with more confidence and within themselves. Did not see the long breakout passes and there were a lot more blocked shots. Primeau looked very shakey last night as he has in his past few games. That four goal spot was the difference and they were really bad goals. There was definitely more energy on the ice and they did not quit! Also enjoyed the post game pressers and it was nice to hear a coach that actually had something to say and be understood. This guy is infectious and hopefully he can bring back that confidence that was eveident in Caufield last night. He was flying and had some excellent looks. Too bad that goal was offside but it was nice to see the Cole we all saw in the playoffs. 

I have a feeling that a "W" is on the books for tomorrow! 

19 hours ago, richard464 said:

Personally I thought they played with more confidence and within themselves. Did not see the long breakout passes and there were a lot more blocked shots. Primeau looked very shakey last night as he has in his past few games. That four goal spot was the difference and they were really bad goals. There was definitely more energy on the ice and they did not quit! Also enjoyed the post game pressers and it was nice to hear a coach that actually had something to say and be understood. This guy is infectious and hopefully he can bring back that confidence that was eveident in Caufield last night. He was flying and had some excellent looks. Too bad that goal was offside but it was nice to see the Cole we all saw in the playoffs. 

I have a feeling that a "W" is on the books for tomorrow! 

Ya and Hopefully they can create a positive atmosphere to build on for next year.  Sprinkle in a few wins here and  there and develop young guys.  Would like them to find at least a competent goalie to hold  the fort for the guys. Nothing gets players down more than working hard and having a goalie who can't stop a basketball.

Well we picked up a goalie the guys have had a practice everyone still seems to be happy lets see what this game brings. If we get just average goaltending and we play like last game we should win. all I want is good effort and some forward motion, let the kids play and have some fun while they develop if we have that with the odd win this will be really good moving forward. At the end of the day after losing Price Eddy Dano and Webber to start the year this year should have been all about youth development we were never going to win much without them.

53 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Well we picked up a goalie the guys have had a practice everyone still seems to be happy lets see what this game brings. If we get just average goaltending and we play like last game we should win. all I want is good effort and some forward motion, let the kids play and have some fun while they develop if we have that with the odd win this will be really good moving forward. At the end of the day after losing Price Eddy Dano and Webber to start the year this year should have been all about youth development we were never going to win much without them.

53 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Agree

https://nypost.com/2022/02/12/canadiens-martin-st-louis-move-part-of-odd-strategy/

Canadiens’ Martin St. Louis move part of odd strategy to fix franchise

They are certainly running an interesting lab experiment in Montreal, where the newly installed executive vice president charged with resurrecting the shredded Les Glorieux has hired a general manager with no experience, who in turned has hired an interim coach with no experience.

Maybe this will work. Maybe the alliance between party of the first part Jeff Gorton, novice GM Kent Hughes and the neophyte coach Marty St. Louis that was forged across youth hockey rinks in Connecticut will be able to dig out of the rubble left behind by former GM Marc Bergevin.

I’ve said this before. If you’re hiring Gorton, you are presumably hiring him for his expertise in talent evaluation and not because of his proficiency as an administrator or his experience as an intermediary between the hockey club and ownership. Thus, if you are hiring Gorton, you are hiring him as your GM.

But not in Montreal. Instead the guy making the calls on personnel is Hughes, who left a successful career behind as an agent to step into the front office. Or maybe it’s a combination of Gorton and Hughes? That might not be clarified. It seems as if Hughes made the call to hire St. Louis, though he obviously did not do this without Gorton’s endorsement.

Indeed, when Gorton was GM of the Rangers, he offered St. Louis the head-coaching job with the AHL Wolf Pack during the summer of 2017. No. 26 declined because he wanted to devote his time to coaching his sons’ youth hockey teams. The coaching search ultimately yielded Keith McCambridge, and the less said about that the better.

And now, St. Louis. From a P.R. sense, this is maybe like the Knicks at one time hiring Willis Reed to coach. Who in New York was going to criticize The Captain — who, by the way, was gone after 96 games? And though St. Louis never played for the Habs, he’s a local hero. His presence — and his heritage — probably will stanch the bleeding for at least a while in Montreal.

There were a couple of times the Rangers considered — or at least considered considering — hiring Mark Messier as head coach, the last time in 2013 following John Tortorella’s exit when No. 11 was actually and impulsively offered the job by then-GM Glen Sather before everyone took a step back.

Messier went through an interview process, but the position went instead to Alain Vigneault. Messier, who had coached youth hockey, was told he had no experience. He was told he would have to serve an apprenticeship in the AHL. His response essentially was that he had served a 25-year apprenticeship on the ice.

His candidacy was generally ridiculed by a majority of the fan base and with near unanimity within the industry. Yet the hiring of St. Louis, whose rare skill as a motivator mirrors one of Messier’s greatest attributes, has for the most part been hailed as innovative. Ten years later, perhaps the perspective has changed.

The Canadiens have kilometers and kilometers to go before they sleep, as Robert Frost would have written had he been born, say, in Saskatchewan. I wonder if St. Louis has the patience to put up with the mistakes the franchise’s young players will inevitably commit. That will be an essential part of his job description. It will also be interesting to see how he reacts if and when he receives criticism and he’s evaluated on his work rather than his name.

Very few great players become great coaches. Toe Blake — the Habs’ Hall-of-Fame left wing on the famed Punch Line with Elmer Lach in the middle and Rocket Richard on the right, before winning eight Cups behind the Montreal bench — is at the top of the list. Jacques Lemaire may be next. But most fail.

Perhaps experience is not necessary. Perhaps St. Louis will thrive in this role. Maybe it is made for him. It’s an interesting move, one seemingly heavy with P.R. implications within an operation that has become a high-profile lab experiment.

1 hour ago, seth505 said:

I like this.  I'm sick of recycling dinosaur coaches who go from team to team.  I think he has a good outlook, good hockey smarts (obviously) and will be able to relate to/motivate current players.

Yeah. Id be surprised if he's here long term (but you never know) but for now he's probably as good as anyone, is young enough to command respect from all players who have grown up watching him, and seems to be a nice 'player's coach.' 

I could see him staying on with the team, regardless of whether he remains coach after this stint. 

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Marty is really showing just how bad a coach DD was. We may have to can this guy soon if we start to win too many.:frech1:

Therrien was a crappy coach with no system and no game plan. He won games on the backs of Price and Subban and then proceeded to trash players in the media who he didn't like. He was a bad coach and seemingly not a very nice person. When PK Subban opened up recently and talked about how he's had coaches who have treated him like garbage but how he had to hold his tongue so as not to get singled out and pushed out of the league, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out it was Therrien front and center on that list.

Julien was a terrific coach by all accounts. He was a good man, well-respected by the media and who treated people with common courtesy. He had some issues with personnel deployment and being old-school and loving his veterans and such, but he had a great system and knew how to coach.

Ducharme was by also apparently a nice guy and a guy who had worked hard to move up the ladder. But despite this, he had very little in the way of a gameplan and no ability to adapt to another team's plan. I have it on good record that the players knew this and didn't think highly of his coaching ability. Everyone could see it. So it's a breathe of fresh air to have a coach who isn't boxing himself into old-school mojo and who doesn't have an ego and who believes in giving skilled players ice time and trying to win as opposed to trying not to lose. It's also refreshing to have a GM and director of hockey ops who are trying to modernize the team, who aren't afraid to re-build, and who have an actual vision for where we go to try and win a Cup. Too bad we wasted so many years on the likes of Therrien, Bergevin, and Lefebvre. All of those men set our franchise back many years and cost us a real shot at being a contender with an all-world goalie. Good riddance to the old regime and welcome to the new one!

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Therrien was a crappy coach with no system and no game plan. He won games on the backs of Price and Subban and then proceeded to trash players in the media who he didn't like. He was a bad coach and seemingly not a very nice person. When PK Subban opened up recently and talked about how he's had coaches who have treated him like garbage but how he had to hold his tongue so as not to get singled out and pushed out of the league, I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out it was Therrien front and center on that list.

Julien was a terrific coach by all accounts. He was a good man, well-respected by the media and who treated people with common courtesy. He had some issues with personnel deployment and being old-school and loving his veterans and such, but he had a great system and knew how to coach.

Ducharme was by also apparently a nice guy and a guy who had worked hard to move up the ladder. But despite this, he had very little in the way of a gameplan and no ability to adapt to another team's plan. I have it on good record that the players knew this and didn't think highly of his coaching ability. Everyone could see it. So it's a breathe of fresh air to have a coach who isn't boxing himself into old-school mojo and who doesn't have an ego and who believes in giving skilled players ice time and trying to win as opposed to trying not to lose. It's also refreshing to have a GM and director of hockey ops who are trying to modernize the team, who aren't afraid to re-build, and who have an actual vision for where we go to try and win a Cup. Too bad we wasted so many years on the likes of Therrien, Bergevin, and Lefebvre. All of those men set our franchise back many years and cost us a real shot at being a contender with an all-world goalie. Good riddance to the old regime and welcome to the new one!

I have to agree here! we don't know yet how things are going to play out but it is like there is a breath of fresh air in the team! Before it was like there was a fear of losing with all of our coaches since Demers, MSL Gorton and Hughes seem more interested in building a winning team and they understand you have to let players play! how many good offensive players have been ruined in Montreal! you don't force potential 50 goal players to be defensive forwards! you want them to score! they know they have to play a good sound game but you don't want to take away that spark! The other thing I am seeing is  a coach who is not afraid to try new things or players! it may all fall apart but for now I am happy and if the new guys can draft and develop we may make our way back to the top sooner than I thought!

7 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

On a side note Marty has done such a good job with Cole I wonder what he can do with Drouin? if he can get him going things could get interesting!

Drouin has apparently been attending practices watching from the bench despite not being required to do so. The media say he and MSL chat at the bench about drills that are happening. So he appears to be quite engaged with him. I also wonder if MSL's style will fit Drouin better. More room for creativity.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Drouin has apparently been attending practices watching from the bench despite not being required to do so. The media say he and MSL chat at the bench about drills that are happening. So he appears to be quite engaged with him. I also wonder if MSL's style will fit Drouin better. More room for creativity.

Can only be a good thing.

No idea if Drouin has a future with the club or not, but any increase in productivity will only increase his value. :D

• H_T_L changed the title to Marty St. Louis Named as Coach
  • HabsRuleForever changed the title to Head Coach Marty St. Louis
  • H_T_L locked this topic