The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Head Coach Marty St. Louis

• H_T_L changed the title to Marty St. Louis Named as Coach
2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

There ya go . Three years . Full time

coach 

Nice. Well deserved. I feel like it's a great timeline for the re-development of our team. I don't imagine us even sniffing a post-season spot for a few seasons, so this enables MSL some time to work with younger players and also develop as an NHL head coach.

MSL today said his priority is to develop players and that sometimes that may come at the expense of winning games. He said he doesn't expect to win every game and that putting younger players out in situations they can use to learn is more important... music to my ears. This is the way to proceed to eventually win a Cup. It's a philosophy that's been missing from Montreal for decades. Looks like the team understands it won't be a significant challenger for a playoff spot this coming season and isn't going to force that. And frankly, if we end up with a top 3 pick, all the better.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Nice. Well deserved. I feel like it's a great timeline for the re-development of our team. I don't imagine us even sniffing a post-season spot for a few seasons, so this enables MSL some time to work with younger players and also develop as an NHL head coach.

A super humble and great philosophical coach! He says all the right things for all the roles on the roster as he has lived through the difficulties of each role. I believe he will be a fabulous development coach - doesn't have to be obsessed with winning games but winning at goals and progress is a great attitude 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

MSL today said his priority is to develop players and that sometimes that may come at the expense of winning games. He said he doesn't expect to win every game and that putting younger players out in situations they can use to learn is more important... music to my ears. This is the way to proceed to eventually win a Cup. It's a philosophy that's been missing from Montreal for decades. Looks like the team understands it won't be a significant challenger for a playoff spot this coming season and isn't going to force that. And frankly, if we end up with a top 3 pick, all the better.

Love to hear it.

That is the exact mentality we need right now. I'm sure MSL will do some things that bother us along the way, but I really thought he did a stellar job in his audition this season. I am excited to see the young players grow under him.

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Ditto. Definitely a fresh approach,  with a positive thinking, innovative & genuinely great character person, MSL. Too bad it took this long, but HUGO definitely has a plan. A lot of years of dysfunction to correct,  but we are moving forward.  Definitely happy with the official signing of Martin St. Louis

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Love to hear it.

That is the exact mentality we need right now. I'm sure MSL will do some things that bother us along the way, but I really thought he did a stellar job in his audition this season. I am excited to see the young players grow under him.

As long as that doesn't include benching a youngster because he made a booboo.  

15 hours ago, habs1952 said:

As long as that doesn't include benching a youngster because he made a booboo.  

Yeah. As long as a I don't see some has-been veteran player eating up valuable minutes at the expense of a prospect, I will be okay.

Great to see this get done! he is the man for the job. Now lets see what we get at the draft and what other moves get made. It really does feel like we are heading in the right direction I am excited to see what kind of team we ice to start the year, my hope is it will be young and fast and we will see it develop into something good!

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah. As long as a I don't see some has-been veteran player eating up valuable minutes at the expense of a prospect, I will be okay.

As long as the Prospect actually earns the minutes over the veteran.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:58 PM, CaptWelly said:

As long as the Prospect actually earns the minutes over the veteran.

Not going to be hard on this team this season! we do have some good vets but there are enough marginal guys on the team that there will be some choice spots all over the lineup for rookies.

• HabsRuleForever changed the title to Head Coach Marty St. Louis
  • H_T_L locked this topic