Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tank Watch


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

Basically a coin-flip at this point: in theory both teams should lose their remaining games, but just takes one lucky bounce or two to at least pick up a loser point and either team could easily end up in last place.  I guess the fact Arizona holds the tie-breaker would make Montreal the favorite at this point to get top spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

Basically a coin-flip at this point: in theory both teams should lose their remaining games, but just takes one lucky bounce or two to at least pick up a loser point and either team could easily end up in last place.  I guess the fact Arizona holds the tie-breaker would make Montreal the favorite at this point to get top spot.

I think the lucky bounce happens at the coin flip. These 2 teams need more than one lucky bounce to tie or win a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rangers lose tonight to Carolina, locking them into 2nd in the Metropolitan division. So they have very little to play for tomorrow. Neither do we, but it means we may not get a full-force effort from NY. Similarly, Florida has clinched 1st in the East, so very little for them to play for either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coyotes somehow manage to score 4 in the 3rd to get that win against Minnesota tonight. That means that we are one Habs' regulation loss OR one Arizona win away from clinching last place. It is theoretically possible for that to happen tomorrow. With each team having two games left, the magic number is at 2. So as long as 2 of the 8 points go our way, it's a done deal. To pass Arizona now, we would need to manage a win and an OT/SO loss without Arizona winning another point. Best-case scenario for us would be for Arizona to win tomorrow against Dallas, so we can cheer for the Habs to win and not have it hamper our draft odds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Coyotes somehow manage to score 4 in the 3rd to get that win against Minnesota tonight. That means that we are one Habs' regulation loss OR one Arizona win away from clinching last place. It is theoretically possible for that to happen tomorrow. With each team having two games left, the magic number is at 2. So as long as 2 of the 8 points go our way, it's a done deal. To pass Arizona now, we would need to manage a win and an OT/SO loss without Arizona winning another point. Best-case scenario for us would be for Arizona to win tomorrow against Dallas, so we can cheer for the Habs to win and not have it hamper our draft odds.

that;s exactly what I came here to say. We're pretty likely to finish last, which gaurantees us a top 3 pick. Unfortunately its not a strong draft, but Wright, Slafkovsky, and Cooley seem to be the top 3 right now, and I get the impression these are going to be top6 forwards, just maybe not elite talent. Nemec and maybe Savoie are also worth mentioning for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

that;s exactly what I came here to say. We're pretty likely to finish last, which gaurantees us a top 3 pick. Unfortunately its not a strong draft, but Wright, Slafkovsky, and Cooley seem to be the top 3 right now, and I get the impression these are going to be top6 forwards, just maybe not elite talent. Nemec and maybe Savoie are also worth mentioning for sure. 

if you have read any of my previous posts, I am not a huge Cooley fan (will be first to admit if he proves me wrong), but I can support any one of those 5 - my rankings are now probably Wright, Nemec, Slafkovsky / Savoie then Cooley. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

that;s exactly what I came here to say. We're pretty likely to finish last, which gaurantees us a top 3 pick. Unfortunately its not a strong draft, but Wright, Slafkovsky, and Cooley seem to be the top 3 right now, and I get the impression these are going to be top6 forwards, just maybe not elite talent. Nemec and maybe Savoie are also worth mentioning for sure. 

im still really hoping for Wright because i think that at worst he's going to be ROR and at best he might be the next Bergeron.  Add that to the existing Suzuki + Poehling/Evans/Dvorak group & our centre depth will potentially be the best its been since the early 90s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Useless Rangers sitting all their veterans... as I said, expect the Panthers to do the same.

Arizona down 3-0 heading into the 3rd tonight against a Dallas team battling for the playoffs. They have Nashville in their last game, and while Nashville has clinched a playoff sot, they'll be fighting for position to try and avoid playing the Avs in the first round. I am not holding out a ton of hope that Zona wins that game.

So it looks like it will come down to not earning any points in the Florida closer. Can the Habs finish the tank and lose to a bunch of back-ups playing the 2nd half of a B2B on the road? Or will they blow this and finish 31st?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Useless Rangers sitting all their veterans... as I said, expect the Panthers to do the same.

Arizona down 3-0 heading into the 3rd tonight against a Dallas team battling for the playoffs. They have Nashville in their last game, and while Nashville has clinched a playoff sot, they'll be fighting for position to try and avoid playing the Avs in the first round. I am not holding out a ton of hope that Zona wins that game.

So it looks like it will come down to not earning any points in the Florida closer. Can the Habs finish the tank and lose to a bunch of back-ups playing the 2nd half of a B2B on the road? Or will they blow this and finish 31st?

Up to Hugo how the final game plays out.  Do you start Cayden Primeau for the tank? We'll soon find out. Otherwise, even if we do finish last or second last, we can still win the lottery. So, even if we finish last, can we still win the lottery?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a sad thread.

Tank be damned.....pride in your profession is more important than a few percentage points in an embarrassing lottery. I hope our BPsA lay a licking on Florida's third and fourth stringers. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, RCAF48 said:

What a sad thread.

Tank be damned.....pride in your profession is more important than a few percentage points in an embarrassing lottery. I hope our BPsA lay a licking on Florida's third and fourth stringers. 

 

The people in this thread are just having fun and trying to find something to get excited about in a pretty dismal season - nothing sad about it, to my mind.  I don't think anybody's asking or expecting the players to throw the game.  I'm sure they'll put forth their best effort.

But as a fan (and a non-professional one at that :)) I'm not too worried about what I do or feel having any effect on the ice.  And at this point in the year, with one game to go?  *shrug*  I'd rather see them lose the meaningless game and double their chances at first overall.  That's more fun for me than whatever pride I would feel watching the team beat Florida's bench warmers to move up to 31st place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Coyotes make a game of it, come back & are now heading to OT with, at worst, a loser point. 

If my math is correct: we have officially finished last!

And here I had already written them off and was on my way to bed.

Looks like we did it, and even better we can cheer for a win next game with a clean conscience :D 

Edit: And they win it in OT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

And here I had already written them off and was on my way to bed.

Looks like we did it, and even better we can cheer for a win next game with a clean conscience :D 

Edit: And they win it in OT

Yes! OT win for the Yotes.   I hated not cheering for the Habs but the #1 chance at 1st overall and, at very worst, top 3 is certainly a nice consolation prize.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yes! OT win for the Yotes.   I hated not cheering for the Habs but the #1 chance at 1st overall and, at very worst, top 3 is certainly a nice consolation prize.

 

 

oh wow! I had given up on yotes tonight. Man, Wright/Suzuki line up is one that could win with right surrounding peices 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

The people in this thread are just having fun and trying to find something to get excited about in a pretty dismal season - nothing sad about it, to my mind.  I don't think anybody's asking or expecting the players to throw the game.  I'm sure they'll put forth their best effort.

But as a fan (and a non-professional one at that :)) I'm not too worried about what I do or feel having any effect on the ice.  And at this point in the year, with one game to go?  *shrug*  I'd rather see them lose the meaningless game and double their chances at first overall.  That's more fun for me than whatever pride I would feel watching the team beat Florida's bench warmers to move up to 31st place.

The pride I referred to is the professional players' pride not a fan's pride. The thought of a fan's pride never occurred to me, I didn't think someone would feel pride over a hockey team's accomplishments unless it was composed of their children. Live and learn.:)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

The people in this thread are just having fun and trying to find something to get excited about in a pretty dismal season - nothing sad about it, to my mind.  I don't think anybody's asking or expecting the players to throw the game.  I'm sure they'll put forth their best effort.

But as a fan (and a non-professional one at that :)) I'm not too worried about what I do or feel having any effect on the ice.  And at this point in the year, with one game to go?  *shrug*  I'd rather see them lose the meaningless game and double their chances at first overall.  That's more fun for me than whatever pride I would feel watching the team beat Florida's bench warmers to move up to 31st place.

Nicely said.  Couldn't agree more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yes! OT win for the Yotes.   I hated not cheering for the Habs but the #1 chance at 1st overall and, at very worst, top 3 is certainly a nice consolation prize.

Another come back win for the Coyotes.  Who would have thunk it. Down 3-0 to win 4-3 in OT. (maybe Dallas new they clinched, and let off on the gas.) Guaranteed top 3 pick! Should be interesting where we finish after the May 10th lotto. And what magic HUGO can muster before next season. In my opinion, if the right pieces are moved around, the Habs can be a contender as early as next season. If HUGO can think outside the box, and not get too attached to players and draft picks, magic can happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, electron58 said:

Another come back win for the Coyotes.  Who would have thunk it. Down 3-0 to win 4-3 in OT. (maybe Dallas new they clinched, and let off on the gas.) Guaranteed top 3 pick! Should be interesting where we finish after the May 10th lotto. And what magic HUGO can muster before next season. In my opinion, if the right pieces are moved around, the Habs can be a contender as early as next season. If HUGO can think outside the box, and not get too attached to players and draft picks, magic can happen. 

I never thought we would get help from the Coyotes so I’m happy about that but also that with the OT point by Dallas, Vegas is knocked out. I expect big changes and shakeups coming for Vegas and Winnipeg 

Right pieces moved around for a Habs next year contender? I love the optimism but that’s one massive ask. I’m hopeful for the youth movement to kick in , that we see an upward progress trajectory, and that mgmt removes at least some element of dead wood 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, claremont said:

I never thought we would get help from the Coyotes so I’m happy about that but also that with the OT point by Dallas, Vegas is knocked out. I expect big changes and shakeups coming for Vegas and Winnipeg 

Right pieces moved around for a Habs next year contender? I love the optimism but that’s one massive ask. I’m hopeful for the youth movement to kick in , that we see an upward progress trajectory, and that mgmt removes at least some element of dead wood 

Has Eichel ever made the post-season? Maybe he's cursed. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

No he has not, Buffalo is on year 11 of missing the playoffs.

I suspect that will change - the Sabres got the better of that Eichel trade. With some of the pieces Sabres have to compliment Dahlin - Power, Samuelson Tage Thompson , Cozens and 3 picks in the first round this year, Buffalo should be a future competitor 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...