The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tank Watch

H_T_L

Yotes are the comeback machine no doubt. Hopefully this is the last tank thread we see in this forum now that the mission is accomplished. All that's left is being screwed out of the first pick now. The booing of Bettman will be something to watch at the draft.

37 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Yotes are the comeback machine no doubt. Hopefully this is the last tank thread we see in this forum now that the mission is accomplished. All that's left is being screwed out of the first pick now. The booing of Bettman will be something to watch at the draft.

I mean. I'm not opposed to a tank thread next year too. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

24 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I mean. I'm not opposed to a tank thread next year too. :ph34r:

just ONE more year, then I wanna start trying to make the playoffs without going crazy and signing old players to big deals. To me its not a rebuild if you don't go into the season thinking your going to tank at least one year. What happened this year has happened before in the bergevin era. We got two 3rd overall picks and the years we sucked, we sold at the deadline and got some good players. It's not enough. We need another top 5 pick, hopefully 2 #1s back to back :D

Not only do we need a good draft pick next year, we're going to get a decent haul for Drouin, Byron, and Allen (if price is back, I'm now starting to think his career is over). 

The players are going to try to win but we don't need to sign any big free agents or fill up our team with old vets. Even if we did, this team is not likely to make the playoffs next year, it would just hurt development and give us a bad draft pick on what might be the best draft in a generation. 

Not sure i could stomach another year like this. After all it took to get to this position this year, we're not even guaranteed to get the 1st overall pick. It would be very difficult to duplicate everything that went down for us this year to get to this position. The injuries, lost players and lack of goaltending and coaching in the first half of the season all snowballed us into this result. It's not easy being this bad.

28 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Not sure i could stomach another year like this. After all it took to get to this position this year, we're not even guaranteed to get the 1st overall pick. It would be very difficult to duplicate everything that went down for us this year to get to this position. The injuries, lost players and lack of goaltending and coaching in the first half of the season all snowballed us into this result. It's not easy being this bad.

Id actually be very surprised if we're this bad next year.  I think we're going to make the playoffs.  Obviously this assumes we take care of a lot of our question marks (Price, bad contracts, missing roster spots, Weber etc) but I think HuGo will have a busy summer. 

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id actually be very surprised if we're this bad next year.  I think we're going to make the playoffs.  Obviously this assumes we take care of a lot of our question marks (Price, bad contracts, missing roster spots, Weber etc) but I think HuGo will have a busy summer. 

well thats the thing, if we don't replace Price or build our defense and sign a bunch of free agents, we likely will lose OR if we win it will be because of our core players. But if they have a busy summer than this is no different than what Bergevin did

33 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id actually be very surprised if we're this bad next year.  I think we're going to make the playoffs.  

Obviously not this year  but next year , I dont think so .

We're not getting more points than Florida, Toronto , Tampa or Boston 

24 minutes ago, habsisme said:

well thats the thing, if we don't replace Price or build our defense and sign a bunch of free agents, we likely will lose OR if we win it will be because of our core players. But if they have a busy summer than this is no different than what Bergevin did

I guess the question comes down to whether they have a plan & see it through.  I always felt Bergevin was fine at 1 on 1 deals but he never had a big picture plan which is why we'd get stocked up well at one position & then be weak at another.

10 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Obviously not this year  but next year , I dont think so .

We're not getting more points than Florida, Toronto , Tampa or Boston 

We shall see.  A lot has to fall into place but if i had to guess, I would say that HuGo probably are going to try to be very active this summer & reshape this team quickly. I can live with another bad year but I dont think we're going to be that bad again.

I do think we'll be a bubble team, a WC entry most likely, but my gut tells me we'll be back in the playoff hunt, especially if we can draft wright & manage to sign a guy like Letang. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Well.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but... we could be pretty bad again next year.

Price might be back. He might not be. Allen/Montembeault? That doesn't look that good.

Our D is going to be youuunnngggggg. They are going to struggle at times. Petry will likely be gone. Savard won't.

Our offense looks like junk after Suzuki-Caulfield. No one we draft this year is going to put up big offensive numbers next season.

16 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Price might be back. He might not be. Allen/Montembeault? That doesn't look that good.

I like Price .

He's not the Price of old , his regular season stats for the last 5 years have been mediocre

22 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Well.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but... we could be pretty bad again next year.

Our D is going to be youuunnngggggg. They are going to struggle at times. Petry will likely be gone. Savard won't.

Our offense looks like junk after Suzuki-Caulfield. No one we draft this year is going to put up big offensive numbers next season.

Define pretty bad -  I’m not sure we will be last in the division but Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit appear to have some good youth and upcoming talent in their rosters, so i see a 4 way battle for 5th in the division, but I think a wild card is not achievable at all, even with a healthy Price. 
I don’t think we can ever repeat the degree of injuries we’ve had this year and we enter next year with too many IF’s. Agree no one we draft is making a difference but it would be nice to see

a) 1 or 2 of Heineman, Ylonen, or Roy, make the forward grouping. 
b) impacts of a full year of a proper coach like MSL c) Guhle, Harris, Barron be included in our defensive pairings and d) a healthy Drouin and a more interested Dvorak 

It boggles my mind that in a professional league of 32 teams, we ended up in last place.  We placed worse than Arizona, worse than Seattle.  It is bothersome.

The new management cannot do enough to get us into the playoffs next year, or the year after that, or the year after that.

Tampa, Florida, Toronto, Boston, will be at or near the top again next year.  Ottawa is ahead of us again next year.  Buffalo is ahead of us again next year, particularly if they can find a decent goaltender.

We may not end up number 32 next year, but we will surely end up within striking distance of it.

The number 1, or number 2, or number 3 draft pick is not going to help us much in the short term.  What did Edmonton do for several years with number one draft picks galore.

Suffering continues for another 4 - 5 years before making the playoffs are even in the conversation.

1 hour ago, KRH said:

It boggles my mind that in a professional league of 32 teams, we ended up in last place.  We placed worse than Arizona, worse than Seattle.  It is bothersome.

The new management cannot do enough to get us into the playoffs next year, or the year after that, or the year after that.

Tampa, Florida, Toronto, Boston, will be at or near the top again next year.  Ottawa is ahead of us again next year.  Buffalo is ahead of us again next year, particularly if they can find a decent goaltender.

We may not end up number 32 next year, but we will surely end up within striking distance of it.

The number 1, or number 2, or number 3 draft pick is not going to help us much in the short term.  What did Edmonton do for several years with number one draft picks galore.

Suffering continues for another 4 - 5 years before making the playoffs are even in the conversation.

Not sure we'll suffer for 4-5 years, but we'll definitely suffer for a few seasons. I expect next year to be pretty rough, overall. Just hoping we see Suzuki and Caulfield have continued success and develop into great young players.

We have too many question marks to know if we'll be last place in the league bad, or just, like... 6th-7th worst in the league bad.

2 hours ago, KRH said:

Dont forget that we lost over 700 man games to injury this season.  LA used to hold the record till this year with 629.  Typically a team loses somewhere between 150 - 250 man games.

Put that in perspective, its nearly NINE players missing all 82 games. 

Now, im not going to say for a minute if we hadnt had injuries we would be contenders or something, but i think this team is considerably better than the 20 win record would indicate.  I think HuGo will make some good moves this summer and while it is possible we'll be bad for another year or two, i also wouldnt be surprised at all to see us on the playoff bubble, challenging for next season's playoffs. 

2 hours ago, KRH said:

And one of those picks was a generational talent  that is arguable the best player in the world now 

53 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

And one of those picks was a generational talent  that is arguable the best player in the world now 

Plus there's another guy who's now in his second 50-goal season at age 26

• H_T_L locked this topic