The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Tank Watch

H_T_L

18 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I thought Subban went too far as well. And the referees penalized him for it, rightly. The hit on Hughes should have been penalized but it wasn't a dirty malicious hit that warranted getting jumped by Subban.

I still don't see it . It didnt look intentional to me 

13 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Well, kneeing is still a penalty in the NHL that carries with it a 5-minute major and game misconduct if an injury results. Not sure if kneeing can also be called as a two-minute minor.

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

It doesn't need to be intentional. Most high sticks are unintentional as are delaying the game penalties by shooting the puck over the glass. It's up to the players to control their sticks and bodies. Most kneeing penalties are unintentional. It's a split second decision to get a piece of a player when you realize you're gonna miss the body check.

17 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

It doesn't need to be intentional. Most high sticks are unintentional as are delaying the game penalties by shooting the puck over the glass. It's up to the players to control their sticks and bodies. Most kneeing penalties are unintentional. It's a split second decision to get a piece of a player when you realize you're gonna miss the body check.

I agree with this but I am not sure this was a kneeing thing, it looked more like the hit was clean and on the follow through the legs got together it is not like he went in knee first.

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

It may happen with a split second decision to stick a leg/knee out. This hit didn't happen that way. At no time did he stick his knee out. Hughes tried to move out of the way of the hit at the last moment, that is what caused it to end up knee on knee , which it still appeared to be knee on thigh really. It's disappointing to see a young gifted player injured. It is still hockey and every time someone goes to hit someone in a sport where everyone is moving things are going to happen. I hope we don't get to the point where in the name of "safety' there will be almost no hitting. It's getting closer to that now. 

27 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

It may happen with a split second decision to stick a leg/knee out. This hit didn't happen that way. At no time did he stick his knee out. Hughes tried to move out of the way of the hit at the last moment, that is what caused it to end up knee on knee , which it still appeared to be knee on thigh really. It's disappointing to see a young gifted player injured. It is still hockey and every time someone goes to hit someone in a sport where everyone is moving things are going to happen. I hope we don't get to the point where in the name of "safety' there will be almost no hitting. It's getting closer to that now. 

Yeah it is I am all for getting rid of fighting with the goons but I still feel like there will be the odd scrum and as for the hitting that is part of the game take it out and it is not hockey anymore! getting rid of  the headhunting dirty hits is good but checking and hits were always part of  the game. I fear we may lose a lot of what made hockey a great sport with the way it is being run right now the reffing is a joke we keep failing teams in the middle of the desert for no viable purpose and the man running the show does not seem to even like the sport! pretty sad!

27.  Ottawa          69     26      37       6      58

28.  Philadelphia  70     22      37     11      55

29.  New Jersey   70     24      40       6      54

30.   Seattle          69      22     41       6      50 

31.   Arizona         70      22     43       5      49

32.  Montreal       70      19     40     11      49

Nice to see Ottawa pull a little further ahead. 12 games left for Habs.

20 hours ago, Regis22 said:

It probably was'nt intentional.  But there was no effort to hit Hughes with his body. If he did, then his leg would have dropped back a bit allowing Hughes to take the brunt of the body. Now, Hughes is out for the rest of the season. Similar play by Suzuki on an Ottawa player. If he hits him with his body, he doesn't hit him with his leg, and probably doesn't get a penalty. 

26 minutes ago, electron58 said:

It probably was'nt intentional.  But there was no effort to hit Hughes with his body. If he did, then his leg would have dropped back a bit allowing Hughes to take the brunt of the body. Now, Hughes is out for the rest of the season. Similar play by Suzuki on an Ottawa player. If he hits him with his body, he doesn't hit him with his leg, and probably doesn't get a penalty. 

I actually feel Zuke's was a bit more of a dirty hit but the Ottawa player did a bit of a dive too he was even in the first shift of the power play!

6 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I actually feel Zuke's was a bit more of a dirty hit but the Ottawa player did a bit of a dive too he was even in the first shift of the power play!

Yeah. Gallagher publicly stated that was pretty cowardly. I guess Stützle does that quite a bit. Gotta believe the refs will catch on. He'll cry wolf one too many times. 

11 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I also thought the hits from Suzuki on Stutzle and the one on Hughes were pretty similar. Don't think either one was intentionally meant to be a leg contact, I think the hitting players lined up their hits poorly and missed. Both resulted in a scuffle afterwards. Both were a bit reckless but without intent in my view.

11 hours ago, electron58 said:

Yeah. Gallagher publicly stated that was pretty cowardly. I guess Stützle does that quite a bit. Gotta believe the refs will catch on. He'll cry wolf one too many times. 

I also thought the same thing. Every time we play Ottawa, there's at least one occasion where the trainer comes out to see Stutzle and then he seems to be fine quickly after. At some point, he'll be legitimately hurt, but he's definitely developing a reputation as being a guy who exaggerates injuries. I used to think the same thing about Andrei Markov. He used to also stay down a lot. Grant it, he did have some bad injuries too, but there were times where he stayed down way longer than I would expect and then be back to full steam soon after. There are a bunch of others who do it too. Mark Recchi was another. Mark Stone. Definitely doesn't help your reputation with the refs or other players.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I also thought the hits from Suzuki on Stutzle and the one on Hughes were pretty similar. Don't think either one was intentionally meant to be a leg contact, I think the hitting players lined up their hits poorly and missed. Both resulted in a scuffle afterwards. Both were a bit reckless but without intent in my view.

I also thought the same thing. Every time we play Ottawa, there's at least one occasion where the trainer comes out to see Stutzle and then he seems to be fine quickly after. At some point, he'll be legitimately hurt, but he's definitely developing a reputation as being a guy who exaggerates injuries. I used to think the same thing about Andrei Markov. He used to also stay down a lot. Grant it, he did have some bad injuries too, but there were times where he stayed down way longer than I would expect and then be back to full steam soon after. There are a bunch of others who do it too. Mark Recchi was another. Mark Stone. Definitely doesn't help your reputation with the refs or other players.

To be fair, if you take a hit to your knee and feel pain your not jumping up right away. You're taking some time to assess the pain to see if you should jump up and play or can make it to the bench. We don't know the player has issues with the knee to begin with.

27.  Ottawa          70     26      38       6      58

28.  Philadelphia  71     23      37     11      57

29.  New Jersey   71     24      41       6      54

30.   Seattle          71      23     42       6      52 

32.  Montreal       71      20     40     11      51

31.   Arizona         71      22     44       5      49

Philadelphia won.  Habs won.  Seattle won.  I'll just assume the Yotes lose. 11 games left for Habs. New Jersey is looking too reachable.

10 games left.  Everyone in the bottom 7 has played 72 games, no more games in hand. 

Jersey is now 5 points up. Philly 6.  Ottawa 7.  Chicago 8. 
(Barfalo is 11 points with 2 more games played so Im pretty positive the worst we can finish is 7th)

Obviously the big ones are Seattle (one more point than us) and Arizona (2 less points). 

^^ Also feeling good about our odds of finishing bottom 7. Buffalo at 8th last right now being 12 points clear of us and 6 RW ahead in the tie-break means even if we go 7-3 the rest of the way, they'd have to do worse than 1-7 to fall behind us. Of the bottom 7 teams, here are the remaining schedules:

- Chi (59 pts, 10 games remaining)i: LA, SJ, at Nas, Cal, at Ari, at LA, at SJ, Phi, LV, at Buf (5 Home, 5 Road, 5 against teams out of playoff race)

- Ott (58 pts, 10 games remaining): at Det, at Bos, Tor, at Sea, at Van, at Clb, Mtl, NJ, Fla, at Phi (4 Home, 6 Road, 6 against teams our of playoff race)

- Phi (57 pts, 10 games remaining): at Was, NYR, at Buf, Buf, at Tor, at Mtl, Pit, at Chi, at Wpg, Ott (4 Home, 6 Road, 5 against teams out of playoff race)

- NJ (56 pts, 10 games remaining): at Ari, at Col, at Sea, at LV, Buf, Car, Det, at Ott, at Car, Det (4 Home, 6 Road, 6 against teams out of playoff race)

- Sea (52 pts, 10 games remaining): at Cal, at Wpg, NJ, Ott, Col, at Min, at Dal, at Van, LA, SJ (5 Home, 5 Road, 3 against teams out of playoff race)

- Mtl (51 pts, 10 games remaining): Wpg, at Clb, NYI, Was, Min, Phi, at Ott, Bos, at NYR, Fla (7 Home, 3 Road, 4 against teams out of playoff race)

- Ari (49 pts, 10 games remaining): NJ, at Van, at Cal, Car, Chi, Was, Stl, at Min, at Dal, Nas (6 Home, 4 Road, 2 against teams out of playoff race)

Looking at this, the 4 highest-ranked teams of this bunch all have at least 5 games against teams with nothing to play for. So I'd like to think they each have a reasonable shot at going at least 3-7. If they do, the Habs would have to play better than .500 to catch those teams. The big problems for us are Seattle and Arizona, who are essentially neck and neck with us for the lottery lead. Both those teams lost talent at or after the trade deadline. Both those teams have nothing to play for and have tougher schedules than us.

From our end, I can see us winning 4-5 games of our last 10 (including wondering if Florida rests players in the last game of the season as they are playing the 2nd half of a back to back on the road and perhaps already having clinched top spot). Going 4-6 or 5-5 likely puts us in 3rd-last spot to end the season, barring a surprise.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ Also feeling good about our odds of finishing bottom 7. Buffalo at 8th last right now being 12 points clear of us and 6 RW ahead in the tie-break means even if we go 7-3 the rest of the way, they'd have to do worse than 1-7 to fall behind us. Of the bottom 7 teams, here are the remaining schedules:

- Chi (59 pts, 10 games remaining)i: LA, SJ, at Nas, Cal, at Ari, at LA, at SJ, Phi, LV, at Buf (5 Home, 5 Road, 5 against teams out of playoff race)

- Ott (58 pts, 10 games remaining): at Det, at Bos, Tor, at Sea, at Van, at Clb, Mtl, NJ, Fla, at Phi (4 Home, 6 Road, 6 against teams our of playoff race)

- Phi (57 pts, 10 games remaining): at Was, NYR, at Buf, Buf, at Tor, at Mtl, Pit, at Chi, at Wpg, Ott (4 Home, 6 Road, 5 against teams out of playoff race)

- NJ (56 pts, 10 games remaining): at Ari, at Col, at Sea, at LV, Buf, Car, Det, at Ott, at Car, Det (4 Home, 6 Road, 6 against teams out of playoff race)

- Sea (52 pts, 10 games remaining): at Cal, at Wpg, NJ, Ott, Col, at Min, at Dal, at Van, LA, SJ (5 Home, 5 Road, 3 against teams out of playoff race)

- Mtl (51 pts, 10 games remaining): Wpg, at Clb, NYI, Was, Min, Phi, at Ott, Bos, at NYR, Fla (7 Home, 3 Road, 4 against teams out of playoff race)

- Ari (49 pts, 10 games remaining): NJ, at Van, at Cal, Car, Chi, Was, Stl, at Min, at Dal, Nas (6 Home, 4 Road, 2 against teams out of playoff race)

Looking at this, the 4 highest-ranked teams of this bunch all have at least 5 games against teams with nothing to play for. So I'd like to think they each have a reasonable shot at going at least 3-7. If they do, the Habs would have to play better than .500 to catch those teams. The big problems for us are Seattle and Arizona, who are essentially neck and neck with us for the lottery lead. Both those teams lost talent at or after the trade deadline. Both those teams have nothing to play for and have tougher schedules than us.

From our end, I can see us winning 4-5 games of our last 10 (including wondering if Florida rests players in the last game of the season as they are playing the 2nd half of a back to back on the road and perhaps already having clinched top spot). Going 4-6 or 5-5 likely puts us in 3rd-last spot to end the season, barring a surprise.

Realistically, I see us picking up maybe 6 points. I think Arizona runs the board, and finishes dead last, which was their goal for this season. Seattle, maybe 4 points, which puts them neck and neck with us. If Jersey can get at least 4, and they could, then we will probably finish 3rd from the bottom.  After Buttman rigs the draft, we'll end up with the 6th. OA pick. Worst case scenerio, CP comes back and steals 5 games and then we're closer to no man's land.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Other teams will say the same for us, nothing to play for. That said teams', players have pride and some like on our team are playing for their futures. 

34 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Allen done for the season.  Will help the tank.  Even if Price is back, I dont see him playing at 100% yet so... 

And even Price plays some games, he's probably just gonna split them with Monty. I think the tank is going just fine! :D

Just now, jennifer_rocket said:

And even Price plays some games, he's probably just gonna split them with Monty. I think the tank is going just fine! :D

Yup.  Too bad Barron is done for the year too, but I dont think they are too worried about evaluating him. Right now i think the team is looking hard at guys like Edmundson, Savard, Dvorak, Pitlick, Hoffman, Armia, Schueneman, Wideman etc to see if they fit into our future plans, should be extended or resigned or showcased in a trade. 

• H_T_L locked this topic