Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Tank Watch


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just one game of note for us today as Philly and Buffalo play a re-match.

Tomorrow, we have a big tilt between Ottawa and Seattle, along with Chicago taking on Calgary, Arizona vs. Carolina, and NJ against Vegas. So those teams will be playing out their games in hand. 

A Chicago win and a NJ regulation win, coupled with a Habs loss to Minny on Tuesday would put both those teams out of reach for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meanwhile Arizona has lost their last six games by a combined score of 37-7. Not holding out much hope of any favors there. We're bad, but they're a pathetic excuse for a hockey franchise both on and off the ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Meanwhile Arizona has lost their last six games by a combined score of 37-7. Not holding out much hope of any favors there. We're bad, but they're a pathetic excuse for a hockey franchise both on and off the ice.

I don't know how Bettman and the ownership governors can support the Phoenix market / coyotes owners. They should just take a franchise fee for moving that team to Houston and wash their hands of the mismanagement. Arizona has 3 first round picks and 8 picks in the 3rd round with a terrible core - they will be a sad sack of crap for several years. They will contribute nothing to shared gate revenues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I don't know how Bettman and the ownership governors can support the Phoenix market / coyotes owners. They should just take a franchise fee for moving that team to Houston and wash their hands of the mismanagement. Arizona has 3 first round picks and 8 picks in the 3rd round with a terrible core - they will be a sad sack of crap for several years. They will contribute nothing to shared gate revenues. 

and they will most likely have the #1 pick playing to a crowd" of maybe 5000! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

A Chicago win and a NJ regulation win, coupled with a Habs loss to Minny on Tuesday would put both those teams out of reach for us.

Consider it done :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seattle Kraken defeat the Ottawa Senators 4-2, to move 5 points up on the Habs.

26.  Ottawa            76     28      41       7       63

27.  Chicago          76     25      39     11       61

28.  New Jersey    76      27      42       7      61

29.  Philadelphia   76      23      42     11      57

30.   Seattle          75      25      44       6       56 

31.  Montreal       76      20      45     11       51

32.   Arizona         76      22      49       5       49

If we finish 31st. That's a bonus. Then, Guaranteed top 4 pick!

I still figure, that we top out at 3 more points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, electron58 said:

Seattle Kraken defeat the Ottawa Senators 4-2, to move 5 points up on the Habs.

26.  Ottawa            76     28      41       7       63

27.  Chicago          76     25      39     11       61

28.  New Jersey    76      27      42       7      61

29.  Philadelphia   76      23      42     11      57

30.   Seattle          75      25      44       6       56 

31.  Montreal       76      20      45     11       51

32.   Arizona         76      22      49       5       49

If we finish 31st. That's a bonus. Then, Guaranteed top 4 pick!

I still figure, that we top out at 3 more points.

The team has my permission to finish the last 6 games with 2 wins, 3 losses and an overtime loss - nothing more 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Why would Seattle pick ahead of us? Right now they're four points clear of us with a game in hand.

Actually 5  points clear. I think he believes Seattle will win the lottery ( legit or not).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

No matter Montreal will pick 3-5 Arizona and Seattle will pick before us.

 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Why would Seattle pick ahead of us? Right now they're four points clear of us with a game in hand.

 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Actually 5  points clear. I think he believes Seattle will win the lottery ( legit or not).

Yeah, i think the implication is that the league will "fix" it for the Kraken/Coyotes which I completely disagree with. The lottery is conducted by Ernst and Young, one of the most respected professional services companies in the world. They would not risk their reputation (in tax prep, audit, advisory services etc etc) simply to fix a draft.  

Also, IF we believed that there was a fix in, then why on earth would Arizona rank higher than us? They are the laughing stock of the league and are actively hurting their team with every move. No way the league wants a top player going there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're not technically clear of Chicago and NJ yet, but we'd have to go 5-1 or better to catch Chicago and 5-0-1 or better to catch NJ, so it's very unlikely (and that's with those teams not winning any more points. Magic number for Chicago is 3 and for NJ is 2). For the bottom 4 teams, here are their remaining schedules and MN's:

- Phi: at Tor, at Mtl, Pit, at Chi, at Wpg, Ott (MN 7)

- Sea: Col, at Min, at Dal, at Van, LA, SJ, Wpg (MN 7 - they have already clinched the tie-break against us if we end with the same total points)

- Mtl: Min, Phi, at Ott, Bos, at NYR, Fla (N/A)

- Ari: Chi, Was, Stl, at Min, at Dal, Nas (MN 15)

If we go 2-3-1 or worse, we are now guaranteed a bottom 2 finish. IMO, our best 3 chances at wins are 1) Philly, 2) Florida with the Panthers resting players in their last game, and 3) Ott. We need to count on losses to Minnesota, Boston, and NY to stay on track.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

 

 

Yeah, i think the implication is that the league will "fix" it for the Kraken/Coyotes which I completely disagree with. The lottery is conducted by Ernst and Young, one of the most respected professional services companies in the world. They would not risk their reputation (in tax prep, audit, advisory services etc etc) simply to fix a draft.  

Also, IF we believed that there was a fix in, then why on earth would Arizona rank higher than us? They are the laughing stock of the league and are actively hurting their team with every move. No way the league wants a top player going there. 

As much as an independent firm may do it. When the Rangers won there were others that floated in that same spot then when the Rangers got there the vacuum sure fired up!. It did look awful fishy. Also the league obviously  wants to make a team work in Arizona or they wouldn't have went to the lengths they have to keep a team there and not just move them. If Winnipeg or Ottawa had to go into a arena with only 5000 seats for 4 years the league would move the team. A McDavid type of star (maybe the first in 2023) went to Arizona there would automatically be interest. Good for southern TV ratings. I just won't be surprised if we drop down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Philly continues to not help us in any way, but with our own loss tonight, we can no longer catch NJ, so we're guaranteed a bottom 5 finish... here's the update:

- Chicago is 10 points ahead of us, so at best we can tie them for total points. We can however, still pass them in the tie-break (and likely would if we won all five of our remaining games and they won none of theirs). That said our MN with them is 1 point.

- Phi: at Mtl, Pit, at Chi, at Wpg, Ott (MN 5 - the caveat is that Phi plays Mtl next, so it's a 4-point game AND if Philly wins, it becomes impossible for the Habs to win the tie-break, so that would take another point off the MN... all that to say that if Montreal loses to Philly in regulation Thursday, we would no longer be able to catch them either)

- Sea: Col, at Min, at Dal, at Van, LA, SJ, at Wpg (MN 5 - they have already clinched the tie-break against us if we end with the same total points)

- Mtl: Phi, at Ott, Bos, at NYR, Fla (N/A)

- Ari: Chi, Was, Stl, at Min, at Dal, Nas (MN 13)

 

The Phi-Mtl is thus a huge game for us to lose. Do that in regulation and we're guaranteed a bottom 3 finish and set ourselves up for a strong chance of finishing bottom. On the other hand, if we win it, we are very much in play to pass both Sea and Phi down the line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29.  Philadelphia   77      23     43     11       57

30.   Seattle          75      24     44       6       56 

31.  Montreal       77      20     46     11       51

32.   Arizona         76      22     49       5       49

5 games left for Habs. Maybe, 3 more points.  We don't have to rely on other teams.  We'll do it ourselves!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

29.  Philadelphia   77      23     43     11       57

30.   Seattle          75      24     44       6       56 

31.  Montreal       77      20     46     11       51

32.   Arizona         76      22     49       5       49

5 games left for Habs. Maybe, 3 more points.  We don't have to rely on other teams.  We'll do it ourselves!

Not sure we'll only finish on 3 more points. We might. But Philly is probably playing worse than us right now, they traded Giroux, and they're down Carter Hart. A home game against them next is a big one. Ottawa conversely is playing well of late but is still a mediocre team. And Florida will be playing us in the final game of the season having already clinched the division and playing on the road in the second half of a B2B for them. I doubt they'll be sending all their best players to Montreal, and the Habs may be motivated to finish the season on a strong note. Boston and NY will be harder games to win but you never know. So I have us down as 4 points against Philly and Florida that are ours to lose and possibly 1-2 more against Ottawa. Bottom line for me is that we need Philly to win one more and Seattle maybe two more. As we've discussed, I have no hope for Arizona doing anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seattle five points up with two games in hand. The tank is looking good. I anticipate we finish second last. Arizona is probably too terrible to catch.

Our remaining games:

PHI (H)
OTT (A)
BOS (H)
NYR (A)
FLA (H)

I expect we'll lose to Boston, New York, and Florida, even if they rest some regulars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Not sure we'll only finish on 3 more points. We might. But Philly is probably playing worse than us right now, they traded Giroux, and they're down Carter Hart. A home game against them next is a big one. Ottawa conversely is playing well of late but is still a mediocre team. And Florida will be playing us in the final game of the season having already clinched the division and playing on the road in the second half of a B2B for them. I doubt they'll be sending all their best players to Montreal, and the Habs may be motivated to finish the season on a strong note. Boston and NY will be harder games to win but you never know. So I have us down as 4 points against Philly and Florida that are ours to lose and possibly 1-2 more against Ottawa. Bottom line for me is that we need Philly to win one more and Seattle maybe two more. As we've discussed, I have no hope for Arizona doing anything.

Im happy to play nets for the next 5 games... :4224:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Seattle five points up with two games in hand. The tank is looking good. I anticipate we finish second last. Arizona is probably too terrible to catch.

Our remaining games:

PHI (H)
OTT (A)
BOS (H)
NYR (A)
FLA (H)

I expect we'll lose to Boston, New York, and Florida, even if they rest some regulars.

I do not expect anyone we play to rest any players down the stretch as every team has something to play for. Ottawa and Philadelphia are playing for pride and building for next year, Florida can still catch the Av's for the presidents trophy, Boston can still catch the Lightening for home ice advantage in the first round and the Ranges can still get first in their division and secure home ice advantage in the first 2 rounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...