The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

The New Habs?

So here we are a few games in to our new coaches reign and things are going quite well all things considered! We have a new front office and they seem to be willing to take the team in a fresh direction and make the moves that are needed to retool it. I have been watching some of our players undergo a transformation that is quite amazing since our new coach started and it has me wondering what more may come of all this! First Gorton picked up Pitlick and Clague which at the time seemed like minor moves but when you look at these guy's they are much more of the modern style than anyone we picked up in all the time MB was here they are faster and better puck movers than I think MB would have chosen to bring in as I feel he would have gone more for toughness and grit over talent. Next the choice of MSL as coach was inspired he may be a noob to this job but he has smarts and he seems to listen to those around him as opposed to the man he replaced who would not budge from the system he believed in even though it was not working! MSL seems to have found a way to unlock the talent that CC has in a way DD just could not and this seems to be across the board with the whole team! it make me wonder if guy's like Drouin and Dvorak are going to come back and break out of the shells they were playing in as well? There were reports that Drouin had some disagreements with DD in practice and perhaps Dvorak play better too under a coach like MSL? I know I feel way better about us developing rookies with talent right now than I did before! Now for sure it is early yet and MSL has to go through some rough patches like all coaches do but are we perhaps at the begining of something special here?

1 hour ago, AH64 said:

Perreault at 900k 1 year was not a bad deal he even scored a hat trick. been injured most of the season from bad luck.

It is a bad deal we did not need him! He was just filler for us we had kids that we needed to develop first, that money should either have been kept or used on better options on D. We knew Webber was not going to play and if the team did not someone was asleep! and let's not even start on the Savard signing!

43 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

It is a bad deal we did not need him! He was just filler for us we had kids that we needed to develop first, that money should either have been kept or used on better options on D. We knew Webber was not going to play and if the team did not someone was asleep! and let's not even start on the Savard signing!

Of course we needed him. We just lost Dano and MB didn't want to be caught with his pants down again not having enough backup French content on the team in case of injuries again. That's also why he signed Paquette. :rolleyes:

His motto use to be you can't have enough # 5,6 and 7th D. It just mutated to, you can't have enough French players to appease the media and the politicians,,,, regardless of talent.

44 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

i mean he was a 4th line depth signing 900k. no way was that a bad deal. agree to disagree.  paquette savard are very bad signings. not perreault.

13 minutes ago, AH64 said:

i mean he was a 4th line depth signing 900k. no way was that a bad deal. agree to disagree.  paquette savard are very bad signings. not perreault.

We had Zuke Dvorak Evans and Poehling anyone else was just filler it was clear we were not going to be too strong this year so we should have been developing our youth. Instead we signed a guy who is playing out his career what was the point? to top it off we had Dauphin who is doing ok right now so for me all three of those guys are just a waste!

2 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

We had Zuke Dvorak Evans and Poehling anyone else was just filler it was clear we were not going to be too strong this year so we should have been developing our youth. Instead we signed a guy who is playing out his career what was the point? to top it off we had Dauphin who is doing ok right now so for me all three of those guys are just a waste!

I agree, during Bergies reign, we always added 4th lines players who took away icetime from our youth. It wasn't so much that they were cheap, it just tookm roster spots from teh kids who coul dhave gotten ice time at the NHL level. 

3 hours ago, AH64 said:

Perreault at 900k 1 year was not a bad deal he even scored a hat trick. been injured most of the season from bad luck.

He's been pretty bad. He's played 14 games and yes, he had a hat trick in one of them and 0 goals in the other 13. Most of Bergevin's additions this year have been awful, and we'd frankly be better off by just removing them. Addition by subtraction. Perreault. Paquette. Niku. Wideman. Savard. Hoffman. Even Montembeault, who has played better of late, is a below average goalie for the NHL. Would we be any worse off if they all just weren't here and were replaced by league-average players. I mean just look... waiver claim Pitlick is better than all of them. Schueneman has been more impressive in his limited time here than those others. So has Pezzetta. I think RHP could probably be just as good as 4th liner in place of Paquette and I think Ylonen could be just as useful as Hoffman. We're paying a decent chunk of money to have a bunch of low-utility players. We're also still paying Karl Alzner to not play for us for another three years.

• H_T_L locked this topic