The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

TRADE DEADLINE March 21st

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Intriguing situation in Vegas, where the Knights flipped Dadonov to Anaheim at the deadline and gave up a 2nd rounder to be able to move out his contract. He's owed 5M this year and next. The hold-up is that Dadonov had a limited NTC as part of the deal he signed with Ottawa and one of the teams on the list was the Ducks. It sounds like Ottawa may have had the list but neither the Knights, Sens, or Dadonov took responsibility for passing this information on to Vegas after the trade. So here we are. Why is this intriguing if your a Habs fan? Well Vegas has a number of players on LTIR and can't activate them all without cap space. So without moving Dadonov, they may not be able to get back the likes of Stone or Martinez in the regular season, and they're in a dogfight for the playoffs. So it may end up being one of those rare occasions where Vegas tries to make a trade after the trade deadline in order to ship out salary, assuming the Dadonov trade with Anaheim is rejected. Maybe they'll try to ship out Dadonov again given the uncomfortable situation. Maybe they'll try to ship out other salaries. The team acquiring salary has to have cap space and it has to be okay with not getting that player to use in the playoffs this year. So it's unlikely a playoff team goes after a deal, but the Habs could. And we know Vegas is willing to give up at least a 2nd rounder to make it happen. Now who knows if Dadonov would accept coming to Montreal. And who knows who they'd move out.

But if I'm Hughes I'm on the phone offering up my cap space. Maybe this is an opportunity to flip them Shea Weber's LTIR contract. Maybe this is an opportunity to take on an expiring contract or even Dadonov's one season in exchange for a high draft pick or prospect. There's an opening here to get something done. So maybe just maybe the trade deadline isn't actually a hard deadline this season.

So apparently, from what I read Dadonov filed his 10 team list with the NHL by the date required in 2021 (I believe it was June 1st) but the Sens did not pass it along to the Yotes and the Yotes did not investigate who was on the list. This deal should be revoked and Dadonov should be heading back to the Yotes by letter of the law. The NHLPA is involved and for good reason, I expect that the PA will side with the player, it is after all the Yotes responsibility to know what teams they can and can't trade their players to.

56 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Some have guessed it has to do with the state taxes in California, which are the highest in the US. I don't know how Ottawa factors into this, but Dadonov did also play in Florida and now Nevada, and neither state has income tax, so that might have become a factor for him. That likely wouldn't help us in that case, but who knows what the story is...

Yeah taxes makes sense but as you said - Ottawa is basically on par with California so... odd. 

37 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Yeah taxes makes sense. My first though is more taxes in Ontario than California but he probably made that calculation when they signed him and then he just has the highest taxes places as is no trade but if thats true montreal is on his list too because I'm pretty sure no one is more highly taxed

Its pretty close.  With a $5m salary like Dadanov the tax rates are: Anaheim/LA/SJS: 49.08% Ottawa /Toronto 52.76%. Montreal: 52.80%     So i do think we're the highest (marginally)

Of course you have teams like TB (36%), Nashville (36%) Florida (36%) and Vegas (36%) which are all ridiculously low. Thats a lower percentage than what i pay in a year & I sure dont have a $5m contract haha.  

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

Yeah taxes makes sense. My first though is more taxes in Ontario than California but he probably made that calculation when they signed him and then he just has the highest taxes places as is no trade but if thats true montreal is on his list too because I'm pretty sure no one is more highly taxed

Some rumors that he has all the California teams and all the Canadian teams on his NTC.

Elliotte Friedman is reporting that when the trade call was made for him to go from Ottawa to Vegas, that Ottawa told Vegas and the NHL that the NTC was voided because the player hadn't submitted the list on time, so Vegas accepted the player under the impression there was no NTC active, and the NHL apparently had no record of the NTC on file either until Dadonov's camp brought it up after the Anaheim trade. Not sure if this is correct, but it seems certain that Dadonov did his part submitting the NTC list to Ottawa June 30, 2021 and the mistake could be Ottawa's for misleading Vegas into thinking it was not active. IF that is the case, then have to wonder if Ottawa gets penalized for this and has a 1st round draft choice stripped from them, for example. That would be a pretty flagrant mistake to mislead another team and the league. Not sure what the NHL would do about Dadonov in that case, but Vegas could argue they wouldn't have taken the player from Ottawa in the first place if they had had that information. Would this annul the original Ottawa trade too?

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Some rumors that he has all the California teams and all the Canadian teams on his NTC.

Elliotte Friedman is reporting that when the trade call was made for him to go from Ottawa to Vegas, that Ottawa told Vegas and the NHL that the NTC was voided because the player hadn't submitted the list on time, so Vegas accepted the player under the impression there was no NTC active, and the NHL apparently had no record of the NTC on file either until Dadonov's camp brought it up after the Anaheim trade. Not sure if this is correct, but it seems certain that Dadonov did his part submitting the NTC list to Ottawa June 30, 2021 and the mistake could be Ottawa's for misleading Vegas into thinking it was not active. IF that is the case, then have to wonder if Ottawa gets penalized for this and has a 1st round draft choice stripped from them, for example. That would be a pretty flagrant mistake to mislead another team and the league. Not sure what the NHL would do about Dadonov in that case, but Vegas could argue they wouldn't have taken the player from Ottawa in the first place if they had had that information. Would this annul the original Ottawa trade too?

yeah this could get very interesting. I don't like the behaviour of the teams here, especially Ottawa but on some level Vegas too. They didn't inform him that his NTC was void and they just spring on him at the last minute? And I'm sorry, in the spirit of the agreement, wouldn't your employer ask you for it? Not look for a technicality to screw you over. Some franchise to work for! 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Wow. What a mess.

I don't think I've heard of anything like this happening in the NHL before. If Ottawa misled Vegas and the NHL, they definitely need to be punished for it. I don't know what the correct punishment is, but... It sounds like perhaps Ottawa has made a major no-no here.

Solution,,,, Weber contract for Dadonov?? I like Ted's suggestion here and just the straight swap works too IMO. We get a half decent guy for next season on an expiring contract, in a year we don't have cap issues, in exchange for clearing the books (LTIR) for the 3 years after that on SW's contract. If we can squeeze another pick on the deal, then bonus.

35 minutes ago, AH64 said:

good breakdown of the dadanov fiasco. 

Who is this guy? Is he just a fan or is he an actual insider? Does he actually have proof the player did file on time originally? He sounds more like a disgruntled fan who doesn't agree with the way "he" thinks the team should be managed? Does this guy have any NHL or hockey management experience? Anybody can "imagine" this that with any organization. As they say hindsight is 20/20. Yes he has some insightful thoughts but he doesn't have any actual inside information unless he actual is part of Vegas management.

26 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Who is this guy? Is he just a fan or is he an actual insider? Does he actually have proof the player did file on time originally? He sounds more like a disgruntled fan who doesn't agree with the way "he" thinks the team should be managed? Does this guy have any NHL or hockey management experience? Anybody can "imagine" this that with any organization. As they say hindsight is 20/20. Yes he has some insightful thoughts but he doesn't have any actual inside information unless he actual is part of Vegas management.

it's the hockey guy! You can trust what he's saying as if its coming from anyone on TSN or Sportsnet. He doesn't report things from dubious sources but he's not an insider. 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Solution,,,, Weber contract for Dadonov?? I like Ted's suggestion here and just the straight swap works too IMO. We get a half decent guy for next season on an expiring contract, in a year we don't have cap issues, in exchange for clearing the books (LTIR) for the 3 years after that on SW's contract. If we can squeeze another pick on the deal, then bonus.

I wouldnt do it.

LV has no 'need' for Weber's contract.  A poor/cheap team like Arizona would actually covet it.

Dadanov is no longer a positive asset - i agree, he'd be fine here next year but I think you're taking on a negative asset (based on his cap) and I also think Shea's contract is actually a net positive for a team that wants to pay only $6 million dollars for the next 4 years while being able to use $31.4m of cap space over that same time... 

I think you could get Dadanov for a 3rd or 4th rounder and i think you would actually get back a 2nd for Weber from the right team.   Also, im not sure Dadanov would agree to a trade here if he's balking at Anaheim (presumably because of taxes) 

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

he is one of the most respected hockey guys on youtube. generally does his homework...  like relax... hes not even a vegas or ducks fan. i dont get why you are calling him disgruntled lmao.

18 hours ago, maas_art said:

LV has no 'need' for Weber's contract.  A poor/cheap team like Arizona would actually covet it.

Any truth to the "rumour" the league denied the trade of Weber to Arizona?  

8 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I havent heard anything to substantiate it. Generally if the league vetos a trade, we hear about it...

41 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I don't see why they would do that, other injured contracts have moved and it doesn't hurt the owners in any way. Doesn't even really hurt the players because Arizona spending less than cap helps them when it comes to escrow so there's no reason to make a fuss

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I havent heard anything to substantiate it. Generally if the league vetos a trade, we hear about it...

According to Steve Dangles podcast, the league did in fact deny the trade. He says it would have been bad PR.

42 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

According to Steve Dangles podcast, the league did in fact deny the trade. He says it would have been bad PR.

do you know where he said this? I couldn't find it. I don't see any reports on this. 

There wouldn't really be bad PR players are trade all the time. IF these rumors are true, they would really upset me, because I think it was for a first round pick. Maybe the league asked them to make it part of a bigger deal to help disguise it? But honestly, if this is true, that's just not right. That's not the way the league should be run. 

12 minutes ago, habsisme said:

do you know where he said this? I couldn't find it. I don't see any reports on this. 

There wouldn't really be bad PR players are trade all the time. IF these rumors are true, they would really upset me, because I think it was for a first round pick. Maybe the league asked them to make it part of a bigger deal to help disguise it? But honestly, if this is true, that's just not right. That's not the way the league should be run. 

That's really bogus if the League did actually shut that deal down. Talk about double standards. They let the Yotes pick up another dead contract but refuse this one?? They've let teams do these moves every year but somehow we're not permitted?? :4845:

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

That's really bogus if the League did actually shut that deal down. Talk about double standards. They let the Yotes pick up another dead contract but refuse this one?? They've let teams do these moves every year but somehow we're not permitted?? :4845:

They thought it would be bad publicity to let this trade go through, if this is true the perceived bad publicity will be nothing compared to the actual bad publicity they will get from denying it.

you know, what makes this even worse is that nobody is even talking about it. Here you have a commissioner quietly cancelling a deal, it's reported on, and then the story just disappears? Honestly if stuff like this is true I'm going to start wondering about the draft lottery too

18 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I don't know Dangles sources and can't find anything else on it but Dangles is a pretty respected guy around the league with some good sources so I don't see him ruining his reputation to spread a pretty big lie like this.

Just now, habsisme said:

you know, what makes this even worse is that nobody is even talking about it. Here you have a commissioner quietly cancelling a deal, it's reported on, and then the story just disappears? Honestly if stuff like this is true I'm going to start wondering about the draft lottery too

Yeah exactly

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

They thought it would be bad publicity to let this trade go through, if this is true the perceived bad publicity will be nothing compared to the actual bad publicity they will get from denying it.

That's what i don't get. Assuming this did go down like this,,, how is it bad publicity for the League? There's been numerous deals just like it approved by these same morons. They cancelled that one and then approved the very next one. Mind boggling how they run this bush league.

• H_T_L locked this topic