The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE March 21st

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Lots of scouts there tonight, given two bottom-feeders with players to sell... Washington has two guys again, and the rumors we've heard are largely centered around Lehkonen from our end. They stole Eller from us, and I think the project Lehkonen as being another guy they could bank on as a key 3rd-liner with Eller. Also there are teams like Ott, NJ, Van, and Chi, which don't make as much sense, and then Edm, Nas, Pit, NYR, and TB. They're not there to see Chiarot any more, so are some of these teams looking at guys like Kulak, Hoffman, Edmundson, Petry, or Armia (linked to Pit and TB). And maybe Vancouver might have an eye out for Gallagher.

Mtl also has a scout at the Chi-Bos game tonight. Not sure why Hawks and Habs would be scouting each other. Dylan Strome has been in the news before. Henrik Borgstrom as a depth center? MAF as a possible option for next season?

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Lebrun adds that Manson had Toronto and Carolina on his no-trade list and that both teams had interest in Manson. He states that Carolina has been circling around on Chiarot as another option too.

That makes me kinda like him :lol:

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Habs place Matthieu Perreault on waivers, which means

1. There were no takers in a trade

2. They want to demote him to clear a roster spot, possibly to take on an extra contract in a trade

Benson was also placed on waivers and is a youngish (24) LW with 2nd line potential. I would look at picking him up if possible

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Tomas Hertl set to sign an 8-year 8M AAV extension to stay in SJ.

Yikes. If thats what he was looking for Im glad we didnt bite.  I could have (maybe) swallowed $8m per but not for more than 5 years. He's going to be 28 later this year... 

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Jarnkok to Flames for picks. Calgary continues to load up.

Jarnkrok goes for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th. He's 30, pending UFA, two-way player worth about 10-15 goals a year. Lehkonen way more valuable than that, so again, if Chiarot > Manson and worth a 1st, then Lehkone would here clearly be worth a 1st and a good prospect.

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm kind of curious to see how the next few days go. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded 2-3 more guys and I also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't trade anyone.

I feel like Savard and Dvorak will be the last major moves this year (outside UFA's)

2 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I feel like Savard and Dvorak will be the last major moves this year (outside UFA's)

I would be shocked if Savard is moveable at this point. He needs to build back his value.

Dvorak I imagine will be here next season. Curious to see what happens with him under MSL.

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would be shocked if Savard is moveable at this point. He needs to build back his value.

Dvorak I imagine will be here next season. Curious to see what happens with him under MSL.

I have seen a few fans on Capfriendly ACGM's from the Sabres and Canes looking to acquire Savard and willing to pay a 2nd for him. Sabres fans think he would be a great mentor to Powers and Dahlin, While Canes fans think he would be a great 3RD. Either way its a bonus if we could get that .

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

There's two ways of looking at Savard right now:  1) he's got zero value, negative player/contract.  2) He had a rough year, is signed for a moderate contract & can be had for next to nothing.  Remember just one year ago the cost to acquire Savard was a 1st and 3rd.  

Considering the massive mess Montreal was this year, would a team consider picking him up for nothing (I suspect HuGo would trade him for a 5th round pick at this point)?   Dunno.  Probably not, but nothing surprises me when it comes to GMs in the NHL.

Regarding Dvorak, I agree, I dont see him getting traded unless the return is really high (and it woudlnt be).   He's not a bad player, he's youngish and he is on a good contract. Absolutely no reason to trade him, especially considering he hasnt played under MSL yet.  If they (HuGo) dont like what they see, they can move him in the offseason I am sure. 

49 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Brandon Hagel traded to TB for a haul including two first rounders. Have to wonder what that means for Lehkonen's value.

Yeah. I can't really see anyone giving that up for Lehkonen. Even though I feel Lehkonen is more valuable. 

51 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Brandon Hagel traded to TB for a haul including two first rounders. Have to wonder what that means for Lehkonen's value.

Wow. I haven't watched a lot of hockey this year... But I have never even heard of Brandon Hagel before today.

yeah i think age & contract status go a long way for Hagel.  He's still on an upward trajectory. And while i think its entirely possible Lehkonen could still have his "best season ever" i think we have a pretty clear idea of what his ceiling is.

Im actually really surprised chicago let a guy like Hagel go - he's young enough to be with them for some time... 

Hagel + 2 4ths for 2 1sts + Raddysh + Katchouk (basically 2 1sts + 2 2nds). while Hagel is 3 years younger than Lehkonen they have relatively the same stat lines (Hagel 21-16-37 and Lehkonen 13-17-28) so to me the 2 2nds is the difference value wise. 

• H_T_L locked this topic