The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

TRADE DEADLINE March 21st

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think we might keep him. He's been a decent depth player. Depends what he wants this summer i guess. 

Wow. That would be a nice one if true.    Hughes has said he is comfortable with 3 picks in the top 35 (which we already have) so would one of our 1st rounders then be packaged in a. different deadline deal? Interesting  

Oilers 2022 draft is already a bit of a mess. They traded their 4th rounder away. Their 3rd round pick was sent to Chicago for Keith, but there's a condition that it gets upgraded to a 2nd if certain criteria are met in the playoffs. So Oilers already missing a 4th and one a 2nd/3rd, which means they

1. May not be interested in dealing their 1st rounder

2. May be more willing to trade a 2023 pick than tie up conditions in a 2022 one

The asking Price for Kulak should be a 2nd rounder given the comparables we've seen. The asking Price for Allen based on his nearest comparable (Kuemper) should be at least a 1st and maybe another piece. To trade both together means we'd need to be asking for something like Bourgeault and a 2023 2nd rounder OR a 2023 1st rounder and Broberg, for example. But I think ultimately we're more likely to see a 2023 pick moved here.

Francois Gagnon is saying Jake Allen is not part of the deal. 

Apologies on my part, I am at work and thought I saw it as a follow up with Frank Seravalli's initial tweet on Kulak. 

Edit: Having said that, I am just going to stop. Back and forth between the deadlines talks, following tweets, and trying to work... got me on edge.  "Just a quick look" I told myself. lol :P 

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Oilers 2022 draft is already a bit of a mess. They traded their 4th rounder away. Their 3rd round pick was sent to Chicago for Keith, but there's a condition that it gets upgraded to a 2nd if certain criteria are met in the playoffs. So Oilers already missing a 4th and one a 2nd/3rd, which means they

1. May not be interested in dealing their 1st rounder

2. May be more willing to trade a 2023 pick than tie up conditions in a 2022 one

The asking Price for Kulak should be a 2nd rounder given the comparables we've seen. The asking Price for Allen based on his nearest comparable (Kuemper) should be at least a 1st and maybe another piece. To trade both together means we'd need to be asking for something like Bourgeault and a 2023 2nd rounder OR a 2023 1st rounder and Broberg, for example. But I think ultimately we're more likely to see a 2023 pick moved here.

Agree. The other thing is that Im assuming we'd have to take someone back from the oilers?  They dont have any cap to take on 2 roster players & send us picks/prospects.... 

But if their second rounder is tied up with the Duncan Keith thing, maybe that means we'd be getting one from 2023?  People say that that draft is deeper, but I don't know whether that applies down to the second round or not

2 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

But if their second rounder is tied up with the Duncan Keith thing, maybe that means we'd be getting one from 2023?  People say that that draft is deeper, but I don't know whether that applies down to the second round or not

Seems like a given that if we were sending Allen, we'd be taking one of their two goalies back. They both suck, Koskinen has a higher hit (better for Oilers to take on salary) and isn't signed next year (more realistic ask of Habs) whereas Smith is, so you'd assume he'd be coming the other way in any deal that includes Allen. If he is, then that should bump up the price even further. A 4.5M cap hit coming back is a big ask and probably worth 2nd round value in itself based on what people said about Moore going to Anaheim for a lesser cap hit. So if you were to build the trade that way, you could argue Kulak + Allen + 2023 4th rounder for Bourgeault + 2023 1st rounder + Koskinen.

Rumor I'm seeing on social media now is that the Habs and Oilers wanted to trade Kulak for a 2022 2nd rounder conditional on what happens with the Keith pick, but the NHL rejected the trade since you can't trade picks tied up in other deals already. So now it's a discussion of whether the 2023 2nd rounder is equivalent value (in a better draft) or whether they want to make the deal bigger or cancel altogether.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Seems like a given that if we were sending Allen, we'd be taking one of their two goalies back. They both suck, Koskinen has a higher hit (better for Oilers to take on salary) and isn't signed next year (more realistic ask of Habs) whereas Smith is, so you'd assume he'd be coming the other way in any deal that includes Allen. If he is, then that should bump up the price even further. A 4.5M cap hit coming back is a big ask and probably worth 2nd round value in itself based on what people said about Moore going to Anaheim for a lesser cap hit. So if you were to build the trade that way, you could argue Kulak + Allen + 2023 4th rounder for Bourgeault + 2023 1st rounder + Koskinen.

Still unclear if Allen is or is not part of the deal but TSN is reporting that Lagesson was called of the ice in Colorado where the Oilers are playing. This could be as a salary offset or could just be unrelated 

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Still unclear if Allen is or is not part of the deal but TSN is reporting that Lagesson was called of the ice in Colorado where the Oilers are playing. This could be as a salary offset or could just be unrelated 

He makes minimum wage and could be sent back to AHL for free, so it's not about salary. He's a 3rd-pairing/7th defenceman, so it's also not about talent here for Montreal. Curious throw-in.

Lagesson doesn't appear to hold much promise for anything. He's a big-bodied 26 year-old who has never amounted to much and has looked pretty bad the few times I've seen him play. At best, he's a 3rd pairing fill-in like a Davis Drewiske. The key here is the 2nd rounder for Kulak, which is another good trade for Hughes.

The list of who could still go is as follows:

- Petry: if you can get a top prospect or a 1st, you trade him. Otherwise you keep him and your offers are probably better in the off-season with more teams able to take on that salary.

- Lehkonen: if you get a 1st rounder and another piece (good prospect or 2nd rounder or better) you deal him now

- Wideman: I'd deal him for whatever we can get, but I think a fair price would be a 5th rounder

- Perreault, Paquette: free to anyone who can haul away on their own

- Allen: based on the Kuemper trade, he's worth a 1st or a 1st plus a smaller piece. I'm still open to trading him. Yes, it's a gamble we don't have a goalie next year but we're not winning a Cup next year anyways and Allen isn't likely back in two years.

- Drouin: same deal... if you get a good return trade him, because he won't be back in two years.

- Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia... if there's a deal you like, you make a move. They're all just taking up cap space. If not, you can wait.

• H_T_L locked this topic