The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

TRADE DEADLINE March 21st

Justin Barron is a guy I've said we should have been trying to target at this deadline. Excellent work to go get him. Skilled RHD with size, a perfect fit for an organizational need. He's a recent 1st rounder, so this trade is essentially Lehkonen for a 1st and a 2nd, which is along the lines of what I had said would be a reasonable return. Someone gives you this, you take it. Someone doesn't, you weren't compelled to move.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Justin Barron is a guy I've said we should have been trying to target at this deadline. Excellent work to go get him. Skilled RHD with size, a perfect fit for an organizational need. He's a recent 1st rounder, so this trade is essentially Lehkonen for a 1st and a 2nd, which is along the lines of what I had said would be a reasonable return. Someone gives you this, you take it. Someone doesn't, you weren't compelled to move.

Fills a real hole in our prospect pool on the RHD side - he should move to our lineup next year 3-4 pairing and has a shot and can score - his D needs some work 

So this is Hughes/Gorton's deadline so far:

OUT: Toffoli, Chiarot, Kulak, Lehkonen

IN: 2022 1st rounder, 2023 1st rounder, 2023 2nd rounder, 2024 2nd rounder, RHD Justin Barron (recent 1st), F Emil Heineman (recent 2nd), F Ty Smilanic (recent 3rd), 2022 4th rounder, 2023 5th, William Lagesson, and Tyler Pitlick.

That's 6 quality assets, 1 middle-of-the-road asset, and some throw-ins. Chiarot had no future here. Kulak was a depth player. Lehkonen was going to cost a lot of money to re-sign. And Toffoli didn't fit in the window to win. Overall, this has been a solid job from HuGo. So very impressed right now. Has been a long time since we had a GM who had a modern view of today's game, a willingness to take risks and think outside the box, and a willingness to commit to a window to win, as well as a coach who isn't afraid to play younger players and go with skill. I love the way the organization has handled things in the past 3 months. Easily the most impressed I've been since the Molson family re-bought the Habs.

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Loving these deals from Hughes!

Our future is bright - if we couldn’t pull Schneider from NYR for Lehks - Barron is a great fit alternative. 
Realistically Barron could have been log jammed behind Makar, Erik Johnson, and Girard even plays some RHD, so Colorado was probably going to stall his progression. 
Totally agree with you 

4 minutes ago, claremont said:

Our future is bright - if we couldn’t pull Schneider from NYR for Lehks - Barron is a great fit alternative. 
Realistically Barron could have been log jammed behind Makar, Erik Johnson, and Girard even plays some RHD, so Colorado was probably going to stall his progression. 
Totally agree with you 

Barron > Schneider for me. Love the deal.

Would be great if Hughes can find a way to offload Hoffman or if not Armia. Don't have much hope we'll see any other big contracts moved. Maybe Wideman or Perreault gets moved out for a small return. Likely the bigger deals are over until the off-season.

28 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

If im not mistaken, Barron was expected to go way earlier than 25th overall but dropped because he had a blood clot before the draft & only played 30 games or so that year. 

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I believe it's 2023.

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

just checked and vancouver doesn't have its 2022, so hope you're right

Haven't seen it in print anywhere yet. Anybody???

• H_T_L locked this topic