The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

TRADE DEADLINE March 21st

1 minute ago, AH64 said:

Schnarr has played with  suzuki in guelph. decent size 6,3. 23 years old and can put up points might be a good nhl center in a few years. If not good for the rocket.

Exactly - he was prolific with Guelph - I hope he’s a late bloomer but a pretty decent trade for both teams 

39 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So this is Hughes/Gorton's deadline so far:

OUT: Toffoli, Chiarot, Kulak, Lehkonen

IN: 2022 1st rounder, 2023 1st rounder, 2023 2nd rounder, 2024 2nd rounder, RHD Justin Barron (recent 1st), F Emil Heineman (recent 2nd), F Ty Smilanic (recent 3rd), 2022 4th rounder, 2023 5th, William Lagesson, and Tyler Pitlick.

That's 6 quality assets, 1 middle-of-the-road asset, and some throw-ins. Chiarot had no future here. Kulak was a depth player. Lehkonen was going to cost a lot of money to re-sign. And Toffoli didn't fit in the window to win. Overall, this has been a solid job from HuGo. So very impressed right now. Has been a long time since we had a GM who had a modern view of today's game, a willingness to take risks and think outside the box, and a willingness to commit to a window to win, as well as a coach who isn't afraid to play younger players and go with skill. I love the way the organization has handled things in the past 3 months. Easily the most impressed I've been since the Molson family re-bought the Habs.

I'm happy with all of the moves, but Lehkonen might be the standout.  Not because I don't like him (I do), and not even because it's the best return (honestly I don't know anything about Barron) but because of the forethought that it showed.

Like I said, I like Lehkonen, and I suspect he's going to continue to play well over the next few years.  And those two reasons are exactly why Bergevin would not have made this deal.  I suspect he would have just looked at the player, he would have seen a player he likes, and he would have kept him while figuring he could just play hardball or whatever with the contract.  The fact that we are now looking ahead at a potnential problem and being proactive about it - while gaining an organizational need in a RHD besides - indicates to me that we're moving in a more positive direction.

1 minute ago, Manatee-X said:

I'm happy with all of the moves, but Lehkonen might be the standout.  Not because I don't like him (I do), and not even because it's the best return (honestly I don't know anything about Barron) but because of the forethought that it showed.

Like I said, I like Lehkonen, and I suspect he's going to continue to play well over the next few years.  And those two reasons are exactly why Bergevin would not have made this deal.  I suspect he would have just looked at the player, he would have seen a player he likes, and he would have kept him while figuring he could just play hardball or whatever with the contract.  The fact that we are now looking ahead at a potnential problem and being proactive about it - while gaining an organizational need in a RHD besides - indicates to me that we're moving in a more positive direction.

yeah I think people make too much about the other trades, I think MB might have made the other ones too, and he always got good value. But trading Lehkonen because he's a depth guy and its too risky to give him money when you're not in your window is not something I think MB would have done. 

Good move for Colorado though, honestly think this move could help win them a cup

1 minute ago, Manatee-X said:

Bingo.

We've talked about this before; MB did some things quite well.  But his colossal problem was that he could not see big picture. The Drouin for Sergachev deal was the best example of this.  On paper it was fine - in fact, at the time we were taking a super young, proven NHL player & giving TB a (top) prospect. The risk was entirely TB's.   Sergachev could have been Joseph Balej 2.0.    But, at the time, we NEEDED Sergachev more than another winger.

HuGo came in realized we had too much depth in some areas (wing) and not enough in others & have slowly started rebuilding this team based on needs.  No more "you can never have too many defensmen" soundbytes. Its refreshing to see a guy(s) with a plan. 

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah I think people make too much about the other trades, I think MB might have made the other ones too, and he always got good value. But trading Lehkonen because he's a depth guy and its too risky to give him money when you're not in your window is not something I think MB would have done. 

Good move for Colorado though, honestly think this move could help win them a cup

Agreed all the way through.  And I think Colorado is going to be the team I'm cheering for this year, to be honest.  It's nice when a trade can benefit both teams, and this looks like it has the potential to be one of those times.

so apparently the 2nd from Vancouver for Kulak is a 2022 2nd round pick that could become a 2023 2nd round pick if the original pick goes to Chicago. 

*Conditions: If the Oilers make it to the 2022 Stanley Cup Finals and Keith is top 4 in playoffs TOI for Oilers defensemen during the first 3 rounds, the pick goes to chicago and we get the 2023, otherwise we get the 2022 second, which is more likely

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

so apparently the 2nd from Vancouver for Kulak is a 2022 2nd round pick that could become a 2023 2nd round pick if the original pick goes to Chicago. 

*Conditions: If the Oilers make it to the 2022 Stanley Cup Finals and Keith is top 4 in playoffs TOI for Oilers defensemen during the first 3 rounds, the pick goes to chicago and we get the 2023, otherwise we get the 2022 second, which is more likely

NHL.com still not showing the Kulak trade

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

I mean the Toffoli and Chiarot trades could also be huge, we just won't know for a while because the key piece in each move is an unidentified player thus far. But yeah, of everyone we acquired so far, Barron is definitely the most exciting known product. As you said, Bergevin never had foresight, for a few reasons:

- He always judged players by what they had already done rather than what they were likely to do.

- If Bergevin liked someone's personality, he overpaid for it or wouldn't admit a mistake (e.g. Gallagher's extension, signing Drouin, trading for Weber, refusing to fire Therrien/Lefebvre) and if he soured on you as a person, he was willing to sell you at under market value (eg Subban, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, etc.).

- He didn't ever have a window identified to win the Cup. It was always just make sure you're good enough to compete without ever mortgaging anything.

What I like is that Hughes seems to have a plan and a window. Lehkonen is a great support player. You know what you're getting, and you'll probably continue to get that for 3-4 more years, BUT at the expense of a higher salary. What's more valuable to the Habs? A Justin Barron RHD at 1M a year for the next few years and with team control for another half dozen years or a bottom 6 winger at 4.25-4.5M AAV for the next 5 years? You look at your core and when you're likely to win a Cup, and the answer is clearly Barron. You add him to a mix of Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, and some hope for one of Norlinder/Struble/Xhekaj/etc. and suddenly that's a very intriguing collection of young talent. Adding Nemec or Jiricek or Mintyukov or Luneau or Mateychuk in the draft could be even more interesting, though I think the organizational need at this point is very clearly a 2nd top 6 center.

I think we're setup well to move a few more players at next year's deadline too. I don't imagine we'll be basement dwellers next season, but I also don't expect us to make the playoffs. Drouin, Byron, Edmundson, Hoffman... I could see one or all of them moved at next season's deadline.

36 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think we're setup well to move a few more players at next year's deadline too. I don't imagine we'll be basement dwellers next season, but I also don't expect us to make the playoffs. Drouin, Byron, Edmundson, Hoffman... I could see one or all of them moved at next season's deadline.

i actally think we'll be a bubble team. That would have made us buyers in MB's world but i agree, Hughes probably still moves players if the return is right & we're not for sure a playoff squad by next year's TD. 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

You look at your core and when you're likely to win a Cup, and the answer is clearly Barron. You add him to a mix of Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, and some hope for one of Norlinder/Struble/Xhekaj/etc. and suddenly that's a very intriguing collection of young talent. Adding Nemec or Jiricek or Mintyukov or Luneau or Mateychuk in the draft could be even more interesting, though I think the organizational need at this point is very clearly a 2nd top 6 center.

At this point I agree with you that a 2nd top 6 center and even another scoring Centre is essential. We have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds so it would be very nice to have competitive centers and a couple more RHD prospects from a BAP matching need. The beauty of 7 picks is is that you can gamble 1 or 2 on players with high potential ceilings in rounds 2-3. 
Of all the moves, I was disappointed that we couldn’t land Jack McBain but that was in the players control from what we are led vs. our GM. McBain seemed to choose the easier route of an open Zona roster spot and low market fans vs. the Habs org. He could have been a good depth piece. 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think Hughes still has a long list of MB players he'd like to move on from, but we're also not getting a good return on many of them right now. Some may be best-valued in the off-season, others at next year's trade deadline. My personal view on how this would potentially unfold:

- The Habs trade one of Price or Allen in the off-season. I don't think they want to have that much money tied up in goalies. I think Montembeault isn't a starter but he is a guy they'll be willing to have in a back-up role and I don't see them losing him for nothing. Ultimately, if Price shows he's back to health and there aren't great offers on him for a trade, I think he's the guy that stays. But if he's healthy and the Habs get an offer from the likes of Sea/Van/Edm/Col, then maybe something happens. If he goes the way of Weber, then the Habs keep Allen for sure. But otherwise, I think Allen will be on the market, and I think they'll be looking for something similar to what Col gave up for Kuemper.

- Petry is likely gone. That said, I think some of this depends on how COVID is going. If COVID restrictions remain gone, the Petry family maybe remains okay with staying in Montreal. The second factor is what the return is. I don't think we're making this trade as a salary dump, when Petry can still play well. And the third factor is what happens with Letang. If he re-signs in Pittsburgh, then there goes Hughes' Plan A for a replacement. But I think the odds are high he's gone sometime in July.

- I also think Hughes will be sniffing around on what he can get back for Hoffman, Savard, Armia, Gallagher, and Dvorak. He won't trade all of them, but I think he'd be happy to get out from 1-2 of those contracts. Savard, Gallagher, and Hoffman are probably the top 3 guys who are making more than they're worth.

- The obvious guys to move at the deadline next year would be the impending UFAs: Drouin, Byron, and Allen (if not traded beforehand).

Intriguing situation in Vegas, where the Knights flipped Dadonov to Anaheim at the deadline and gave up a 2nd rounder to be able to move out his contract. He's owed 5M this year and next. The hold-up is that Dadonov had a limited NTC as part of the deal he signed with Ottawa and one of the teams on the list was the Ducks. It sounds like Ottawa may have had the list but neither the Knights, Sens, or Dadonov took responsibility for passing this information on to Vegas after the trade. So here we are. Why is this intriguing if your a Habs fan? Well Vegas has a number of players on LTIR and can't activate them all without cap space. So without moving Dadonov, they may not be able to get back the likes of Stone or Martinez in the regular season, and they're in a dogfight for the playoffs. So it may end up being one of those rare occasions where Vegas tries to make a trade after the trade deadline in order to ship out salary, assuming the Dadonov trade with Anaheim is rejected. Maybe they'll try to ship out Dadonov again given the uncomfortable situation. Maybe they'll try to ship out other salaries. The team acquiring salary has to have cap space and it has to be okay with not getting that player to use in the playoffs this year. So it's unlikely a playoff team goes after a deal, but the Habs could. And we know Vegas is willing to give up at least a 2nd rounder to make it happen. Now who knows if Dadonov would accept coming to Montreal. And who knows who they'd move out.

But if I'm Hughes I'm on the phone offering up my cap space. Maybe this is an opportunity to flip them Shea Weber's LTIR contract. Maybe this is an opportunity to take on an expiring contract or even Dadonov's one season in exchange for a high draft pick or prospect. There's an opening here to get something done. So maybe just maybe the trade deadline isn't actually a hard deadline this season.

17 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Intriguing situation in Vegas, where the Knights flipped Dadonov to Anaheim at the deadline and gave up a 2nd rounder to be able to move out his contract. He's owed 5M this year and next. The hold-up is that Dadonov had a limited NTC as part of the deal he signed with Ottawa and one of the teams on the list was the Ducks. It sounds like Ottawa may have had the list but neither the Knights, Sens, or Dadonov took responsibility for passing this information on to Vegas after the trade. So here we are. Why is this intriguing if your a Habs fan? Well Vegas has a number of players on LTIR and can't activate them all without cap space. So without moving Dadonov, they may not be able to get back the likes of Stone or Martinez in the regular season, and they're in a dogfight for the playoffs. So it may end up being one of those rare occasions where Vegas tries to make a trade after the trade deadline in order to ship out salary, assuming the Dadonov trade with Anaheim is rejected. Maybe they'll try to ship out Dadonov again given the uncomfortable situation. Maybe they'll try to ship out other salaries. The team acquiring salary has to have cap space and it has to be okay with not getting that player to use in the playoffs this year. So it's unlikely a playoff team goes after a deal, but the Habs could. And we know Vegas is willing to give up at least a 2nd rounder to make it happen. Now who knows if Dadonov would accept coming to Montreal. And who knows who they'd move out.

But if I'm Hughes I'm on the phone offering up my cap space. Maybe this is an opportunity to flip them Shea Weber's LTIR contract. Maybe this is an opportunity to take on an expiring contract or even Dadonov's one season in exchange for a high draft pick or prospect. There's an opening here to get something done. So maybe just maybe the trade deadline isn't actually a hard deadline this season.

What a mess.  Vegas traded fleury away for nothing - so they could have cap space - then used that cap space by trading a holden/third for Dadonov - then tried to spend a second to get him off their hands - but actually they cant - and, meanwhile now they need a goalie.    

Its going to be interesting to see how they can get out of this.  They definitely want Stone in over Dadanov.   

Also, who signs with Ottawa but refuses to play for Anaheim?? lol 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

What a mess.  Vegas traded fleury away for nothing - so they could have cap space - then used that cap space by trading a holden/third for Dadonov - then tried to spend a second to get him off their hands - but actually they cant - and, meanwhile now they need a goalie.    

Its going to be interesting to see how they can get out of this.  They definitely want Stone in over Dadanov.   

Also, who signs with Ottawa but refuses to play for Anaheim?? lol 

Some have guessed it has to do with the state taxes in California, which are the highest in the US. I don't know how Ottawa factors into this, but Dadonov did also play in Florida and now Nevada, and neither state has income tax, so that might have become a factor for him. That likely wouldn't help us in that case, but who knows what the story is...

17 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Some have guessed it has to do with the state taxes in California, which are the highest in the US. I don't know how Ottawa factors into this, but Dadonov did also play in Florida and now Nevada, and neither state has income tax, so that might have become a factor for him. That likely wouldn't help us in that case, but who knows what the story is...

Yeah taxes makes sense. My first though is more taxes in Ontario than California but he probably made that calculation when they signed him and then he just has the highest taxes places as is no trade but if thats true montreal is on his list too because I'm pretty sure no one is more highly taxed

• H_T_L locked this topic