The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Lehky to Colorado for Justin Baron and 2024 2nd

H_T_L

• H_T_L changed the title to Lehky to Colorado for Justin Baron and 2024 2nd
Just now, maas_art said:

Same but Barron & a 2nd?  Sign me up.  Great move. 

Even though he's only played a couple of NHL games Barron may already be our 2nd best RHD.  lol. 

Yup. Awesome return. Colorado came to bat no doubt.

yeah this is a good enough return to pull the trigger on Lehkonen. Barron is equivalent to a late first basically and then you add a second. I don't know much about prospects but if Barron is actually any good than this is a GREAT trade

14 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah this is a good enough return to pull the trigger on Lehkonen. Barron is equivalent to a late first basically and then you add a second. I don't know much about prospects but if Barron is actually any good than this is a GREAT trade

Honestly I think he's worth even more than that.  He's already passed many tests that 1st rounders havent yet taken. He could, conceivable play with our main roster, going forward, with no more AHL time.  That extra couple of years development is a big bonus imho. 

9 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Great trade! Barron is a really good prospect and one we need! this has been a great trade deadline for us!

echo echo - superb

First I wish Lehks total success in Colorado and that HuGo and the astute Sakic were able to agree upon this deal

Second, I look at our winger pipeline, and you quickly realize that Lehkonen is an overstock even when we resign him 

At LW where he predominately plays we have Caufield, Drouin, Hoffman, Pezzetta, Poehling, Pitlick, Byron -  On the Horizon and upcoming Joshua Roy, Rafael Harvey Pinard maybe even Jan Mysak

At RW - Anderson, Gally, Armia, Upcoming Jesse Ylonen

Players that play both wings - Byron, Hoffman, Pezzetta and another upcomer Joshua Roy plays his off wing

So position wise, paying resigning Lehkonen just increases this supply (even though from a desire perspective we would love to dump Armia and Hoffman for starters, it isn't easily done). HuGo have turned excess supply into 1 position of need which is another puck moving RHD in Barron that long term could replace Petry. 

One could argue that the loss of Lehkonen reduces the strength of our penalty kill, but Pitlick has risen up to backfill that role. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Same but Barron & a 2nd?  Sign me up.  Great move. 

Even though he's only played a couple of NHL games Barron may already be our 2nd best RHD.  lol. 

Second best, you mean we have someone better??? LOL

1 hour ago, Larry-Launstein-Jr said:

Savard!!!

35 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

You need to go over to the GDT. :lol:

I think it's an interesting perspective on the Lehkonen deal. Maybe Barron will steal Savard's job.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

I think it's an interesting perspective on the Lehkonen deal. Maybe Barron will steal Savard's job.

If MB was still around he'd be working on an extension after Savard's goal tonight. Can't have enough grit. Talent be damned.

14 minutes ago, HARBORSPORT said:

I'm not YET convinced that I like this trade......lekky may have been the hardest worker in the room...with a reasonable degree of success, sad to see him go

Yup, he worked hard every shift.

Justin Barron was matched with Kaiden Guhle at the 2021 World Juniors. Picked 25th after Guhle. Dropped to 25th because of a blood clot. So, a respectable 1st round pick. Funny thing, in the final rankings, both defensemen were rated to go early in the second round. Definitely a great pickup by Habs to fill a position of need.

• H_T_L locked this topic