The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sat. Apr. 16, CAPS Come To Play. RDS, City-TV, SNE.

kinot-2

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

3-2 Caps Price will start IMO

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I'd be shocked to see them start Price B2B.

Marty said after the game that Carey will dictate the games he plays.

9 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I'd be shocked to see them start Price B2B.

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Marty said after the game that Carey will dictate the games he plays.

Price always wants to play every game and since he only faced 19 shots as long as he says he is good to go he will play.

• H_T_L pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

I like Price but we're never going to get 2014 / 2015 Price  so it's really not going to make a difference I think  

Well he played pretty lights out last post-season. I think the keys are

1. Can he stay healthy?

2. Can we keep his workload low enough (both in terms of games played and shots faced per game) that he isn't worn down by the playoffs?

Last year, he benefited from a shortened season and the fact we had a couple of lengthy breaks due to COVID. It allowed him to stay fresher come playoff time. He'll need to have have the same happen to be an effective performer in the post-season again. The problem for us is that our line-up isn't built to win next year, primarily because of the D corps. So is Price going to be good enough in 2-4 years?

He's had basically a year off. Goalies can play great long into their careers. With Allen he could stay in great form. I believe he should be able to help us moving forward. I also hope they can keep Petry. When he is with Edmonson they make a great pairing. I think our defense can be good enough soon enough.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Well he played pretty lights out last post-season. 

Absolutely . It’s the getting to the post season that is going to be difficult 

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

He's had basically a year off. Goalies can play great long into their careers. With Allen he could stay in great form. I believe he should be able to help us moving forward. I also hope they can keep Petry. When he is with Edmonson they make a great pairing. I think our defense can be good enough soon enough.

IF they

- keep Allen and Price and have both healthy and rotating

- retain Petry and manage to add another top 4 D man like Letang

- draft a player like Wright or Slafkovsky who can step into the top 6 right away and manages to make an impact

- dump Weber's salary and move on from some other salary like Drouin to be able to make the above work

THEN I agree, we can be a competitive team next year. I think that means compete for the playoffs though and not necessarily become a top 5-6 favorite for the Cup.

17 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Me too.

Every indication/speculation, is that Monty will be in net. Sure Price had a relatively easy night, shot wise, but that doesn't mean he gets B2B nights like that. If the Caps throw 50 shots at the net tonight i don't see any benefit whatsoever in having Carey take that workload this early into his recovery. His starts need to be well spaced IMO

20 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Every indication/speculation, is that Monty will be in net. Sure Price had a relatively easy night, shot wise, but that doesn't mean he gets B2B nights like that. If the Caps throw 50 shots at the net tonight i don't see any benefit whatsoever in having Carey take that workload this early into his recovery. His starts need to be well spaced IMO

I was just making a bold prediction for the game to start a conversation. Preferably though IF it were up to me. I would only give him the Flyers, Sens and MAYBE the Cats game at the end of the season if the expectation was they would rest players. 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

IF they

- keep Allen and Price and have both healthy and rotating

- retain Petry and manage to add another top 4 D man like Letang

- draft a player like Wright or Slafkovsky who can step into the top 6 right away and manages to make an impact

- dump Weber's salary and move on from some other salary like Drouin to be able to make the above work

THEN I agree, we can be a competitive team next year. I think that means compete for the playoffs though and not necessarily become a top 5-6 favorite for the Cup.

There is a fair # of IF's for next year - Management has to reduce those dependent IF's by obtaining depth and having fewer injuries vs. our record breaking current year. It will be tough to get a wild card in our conference. I see TB, FLA, Leafs and Boston still retaining their top 4 and Detroit has some improving core. In the other division, Canes, Rangers, are unlikely to fall from their perch. May see some degradation in Pittsburgh and Washington so compete for the playoffs is not impossible but those IF's need to lineup.

I concur on the move on from some other salary - too much duplicated non value add among Drouin, Hoffman, Byron, Armia so one of these has to break out and have the career year when combined with a Wright  Slafkovsky Ylonen Roy - we need 2 surprises in the forward group

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I was just making a bold prediction for the game to start a conversation. Preferably though IF it were up to me. I would only give him the Flyers, Sens and MAYBE the Cats game at the end of the season if the expectation was they would rest players. 

I imagine he'll get the bulk of remaining games, as long as there's a break between them. Tonight and one more of our last B2B's may be the last games Monty see as a Hab,,, barring another setback by Price.

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic