The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

POLL: Your preferred draft pick?

Your draft pick?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which player/position would you fill with either the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick??

• Next best available C
    • Best available RW
    • Best available LW
    • Best available RD
    • Best available LD
    • Doesn't matter,,,, BPA

On 4/24/2022 at 5:31 AM, H_T_L said:

Looks like we can put Wright back in the conversation after that point by the Yotes last night. If we manage to end 32nd, and win the lottery,,, is it a guarantee we pick him? Is he actually #1 on HuGo's list??

I think nearly every team takes him 1st overall. I do think there are a few that might consider Nemec as a top pairing defensman.  I could see a team trying slafkovsky if they want a scoring winger.   I dont think anyone is likely to take Cooley or any of the other centres over Wright though. 

In pure terms it seems like Wright is BPA but i think a scout could make an argument for a few other players being that guy.  I think the thing in wrights favor is that his reward level is high but his risk level is uber low. Which is exactly what you want from a top pick. 

I would be shocked, if we had 1st overall, if we didnt draft Wright.   Any of the top 5 would help but you have to think that Suzuki-Wright-Poehling-Evans-Dvorak etc - we're set down the middle for a decade or more. 

On 4/20/2022 at 10:18 PM, BigTed3 said:

There's obviously some subjectivity here and things will still change over time, but this wasn't a strong draft and IMO Kotkaniemi is still the best centerman to have come out of 2018.

So, OK. We'll say KK was best center available.  Was he the BPA? & 2022, are we picking the best center available?  or BPA?    If BPA is a center,  then it's a no brainer.  2018? They went for position and no where near BPA.

18 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think nearly every team takes him 1st overall. I do think there are a few that might consider Nemec as a top pairing defensman.  I could see a team trying slafkovsky if they want a scoring winger.   I dont think anyone is likely to take Cooley or any of the other centres over Wright though. 

In pure terms it seems like Wright is BPA but i think a scout could make an argument for a few other players being that guy.  I think the thing in wrights favor is that his reward level is high but his risk level is uber low. Which is exactly what you want from a top pick. 

So, best case scenario.  We finish last and no lottery teams pass us. What to do? Do you trade the rights to the 1st OA pick? To a team in the top 8, for their 1st OA? + Their 2nd OA? & throw in Hoffman? Too little? Too much? Bite my tongue?

13 hours ago, electron58 said:

So, best case scenario.  We finish last and no lottery teams pass us. What to do? Do you trade the rights to the 1st OA pick? To a team in the top 8, for their 1st OA? + Their 2nd OA? & throw in Hoffman? Too little? Too much? Bite my tongue?

I definitely do want to get rid of Hoffamn :lol:, but if we have the first overall I am keeping it unless it would be something like...

MTL
1st overall pick 2022
Mike Hoffman

OTHER TEAM
1st round draft pick 2022 (top-10)
Top prospect

I know that's not much different from what you have proposed, but I would want the clearer certainty on the top prospect vs. a team's second pick in the upcoming draft.

14 hours ago, electron58 said:

So, OK. We'll say KK was best center available.  Was he the BPA? & 2022, are we picking the best center available?  or BPA?    If BPA is a center,  then it's a no brainer.  2018? They went for position and no where near BPA.

THe thing is BPA doesnt necessarily mean "best player at that moment" it means the player your scouting staff will be the best in the long term and the way Timmins talked about JK I actually think they DID believe he was BPA not just best centre available. There were concerns about guys like Tkachuk and Hughes.  In the previous six month JK looked like he had found another gear that took him from "good prospect" to elite in a matter of 1/2 year. Thats the sort of stuff that scouts tend to latch on to & I honestly think they felt there was no one coming after him that would be better, long term.  Hindsight is 20/20 of course but at the time.. 

13 hours ago, electron58 said:

Why would we trade away the opportunity to draft Wright? 

41 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Well, you do have some pundits saying that there could be 2 or 3 players worthy of going 1st OA.  I'm not saying to necessarily make this trade,  but if not much separates the top 6 or 8, & you can grab at least 2 high end prospects (that have a very good chance of making your team sooner than later)plus,  you are able to get rid of Hoffman and his salary, why not?

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

13 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Well, you do have some pundits saying that there could be 2 or 3 players worthy of going 1st OA.  I'm not saying to necessarily make this trade,  but if not much separates the top 6 or 8, & you can grab at least 2 high end prospects (that have a very good chance of making your team sooner than later)plus,  you are able to get rid of Hoffman and his salary, why not?

Further to this, there is a rumour that Pierre Luc Dubois may be available. Depending on the cost ( as long as it doesn't include the Habs #1 pick) we would be set at center, with Suzer & PLD. Then, moving the 1st OA might be a good idea. With Hoffman's contract gone and possibly Petry's,  they can make a move for  Kris Letang. If CP comes back strong, then it would be a healrhy retool.

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

23 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Further to this, there is a rumour that Pierre Luc Dubois may be available. Depending on the cost ( as long as it doesn't include the Habs #1 pick) we would be set at center, with Suzer & PLD. Then, moving the 1st OA might be a good idea. With Hoffman's contract gone and possibly Petry's,  they can make a move for  Kris Letang. If CP comes back strong, then it would be a healrhy retool.

I mean i guess there's always options but the thing about a guy like Wright is that you get a player who technically should be ready to play asap & is going to give you 3 years at virtually league min (ELC).   PLD is a great player and still very young (23 I think?) but he's making $5m a year & is due for a new contract at an even higher salary. My guess is he's looking for a Nick Suzuki type deal - at least $7m+ for 8 years. Probably a fair deal but now you've got $15m locked up at centre when you could be at like $9m for the next 3 years with Suzuki-Wright. Thats a pretty big consideration.

That said, I DO hope that HuGo are really exploring everything. Imagine you could flip Petry for a couple of quality assets and then sign Letang for the same money/term for nothing. Now you have kept your defense basically the same (arguably upgraded it) but brought in assets.   There's lots of opportunities for HuGo & im very interested to see what they do this summer.

That said, Id be very very surprised, if we got 1st OVA if we traded the pick. 

25 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Winnipeg needs a major shakeup - very disappointing results but I am not certain their trading of PLD (RFA) is the answer. A team cannot keep losing with the same bunch of guys in their core but I suspect Wheeler (NMC - 5 team) and Schiefele (NTC - 10 team), value and term contracts are harder to move. Either way with the potential ascension of C - Cole Perfetti, you would think one of these centres should be moved.

I would love PLD in our lineup as a 25 goal, 50-60 point guy his contract value will be north of $5M with some term, and our cap is already compromised by some bad deals both value and term. PLD would certainly quicken our competitiveness but I would not be giving up our top pick or even #29 pick - I might give our top 2nd round pick plus some other roster assets - Dvorak, Hoffman etc., but the problem is all of our other assets have low values based on this season and trading your assets at low value is never a good thing. 

On 4/25/2022 at 8:15 PM, electron58 said:

Again, to me, BPA also incorporates positional value into the equation. A center is more vital in terms of the transition game, two-way play, needing to be more mentally aware of things on the ice, and having to be a better skater to get up and down 180 feet. A top-end D man plays 24+ minutes a night. They're inherently more valuable than a winger. So we can compared skills competition ability, but part of identifying a BPA is also what positional value they bring to the team. A center or RHD also tends to be harder to find on the open market and more expensive to trade for in terms of assets given up. So to me, Kotkaniemi being a center and being young or his draft year with a rapidly-ascending curve later on in the pre-draft calendar, those things DO go into the assessment of BPA.

Project it to this year's draft. Wright and Cooley to me have more inherent value as center than a Slafkovsky does. Sure, Slafkovsky has better size and is more NHL-ready and like the others he has skills and speed, but he's also a winger. He's not quite as polished as the other two. His game is not as complete. And his ability to impact the game is more limited in his role than a center who can dominate transition play and have a greater impact at both ends of the ice. It's not to say there aren't great wingers, but the number of wingers who impact games as much as great centers is small. I'll come back to Pacioretty being a decent two-way player and one of the top 5 goal-scoring wingers in the league over a 5-year span. Yet how much impact did he actually have in making our team better. He didn't contribute much to the transition game, he didn't set other guys up for great chances significantly much, and he wasn't a PK stalwart or key faceoff guy late in games. He was a player with a great shot and awareness for how to get open in the O-zone to get that shot off. He did well with his net presence. But his ability to impact games was more limited by his role. So to me, a player like Suzuki impacts games more, even if he's scoring fewer goals. There's a reason we see more runs on centers and D men in the top 10 than we do wingers or goalies.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:27 PM, electron58 said:

There have been rumors HuGo would consider moving a top 3 pick (including 1st OVA) for Lafreniere. I personally wouldn't do it. I like the idea of drafting your own guy and bringing him up through your system to be one of the faces of your franchise.

As for your proposed trade, as I've said before, it comes down to tiers for me. Wright is in his own tier right now. I think Cooley is starting to separate himself as the clear #2. So if I am sitting at 1 or 2, it's a bit more of a drop-off to move off of one of those slots. After that, I have Slafkovsky, Savoie, Nemec, and Jiricek in another tier, with Nazar close behind. So to end up a pick 8, I'd be falling not only out of my top 2 but out of my clear top 6-7. There are other guys there with the potential to become stars in the NHL.. Miroschnichenko, Yurov, Kemell, Mintyukov, Howard, Gauthier, Ostlund, Trikozov, Odelius, McGroarty, Lambert, etc. But there's more risk or less potential upside to some of those picks than the top 6-7. So would I consider trading the 1st OVA to Columbus, for example, if they ended up with something like the 5th OVA (from Chicago) and the 12th OVA spots? I'd maybe consider that. Would I trade 1st OVA for 2nd OVA and another strong asset? I'd consider that too. Would I deal 1st OVA for a top 6 pick and an unprotected 2023 pick from a team with a good chance to be a lottery pick? Perhaps. But it would take a lot for me to move off of a top 3-5 pick. That's ultimately the best proven tool to build a winner.

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There have been rumors HuGo would consider moving a top 3 pick (including 1st OVA) for Lafreniere. I personally wouldn't do it. I like the idea of drafting your own guy and bringing him up through your system to be one of the faces of your franchise.

As for your proposed trade, as I've said before, it comes down to tiers for me. Wright is in his own tier right now. I think Cooley is starting to separate himself as the clear #2. So if I am sitting at 1 or 2, it's a bit more of a drop-off to move off of one of those slots. After that, I have Slafkovsky, Savoie, Nemec, and Jiricek in another tier, with Nazar close behind. So to end up a pick 8, I'd be falling not only out of my top 2 but out of my clear top 6-7. There are other guys there with the potential to become stars in the NHL.. Miroschnichenko, Yurov, Kemell, Mintyukov, Howard, Gauthier, Ostlund, Trikozov, Odelius, McGroarty, Lambert, etc. But there's more risk or less potential upside to some of those picks than the top 6-7. So would I consider trading the 1st OVA to Columbus, for example, if they ended up with something like the 5th OVA (from Chicago) and the 12th OVA spots? I'd maybe consider that. Would I trade 1st OVA for 2nd OVA and another strong asset? I'd consider that too. Would I deal 1st OVA for a top 6 pick and an unprotected 2023 pick from a team with a good chance to be a lottery pick? Perhaps. But it would take a lot for me to move off of a top 3-5 pick. That's ultimately the best proven tool to build a winner.

I can’t see a trade of the #1 pick but I could foresee a trade of the #3 pick in a 2 for 1 scenario to Columbus (picks 7&13) but mgmt would have to be pretty confident that the difference in tiers is not a substantial drop off, (I.e they rate players in 7-13 as pretty close to #3). The other teams with multiple picks for a trade would be Arizona or the ducks.  I don’t see us trading down with buffalo or ottawa as you don’t want to offer hope to teams in your division 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I can’t see a trade of the #1 pick but I could foresee a trade of the #3 pick in a 2 for 1 scenario to Columbus (picks 7&13) but mgmt would have to be pretty confident that the difference in tiers is not a substantial drop off, (I.e they rate players in 7-13 as pretty close to #3). The other teams with multiple picks for a trade would be Arizona or the ducks.  I don’t see us trading down with buffalo or ottawa as you don’t want to offer hope to teams in your division 

Well who's a realistic choice at 3? Probably Nemec, Jiricek, or Slafkovsvky.

Who's a realistic pick at 7? Likely Nazar.

And who's going to be there at 13? Someone out of Gauthier, Lambert, Yurov, Mintyukov, Mateychuk, Mesar, Ostlund, etc.

So would I trade say Nemec for Nazar and Mintyukov (to pick a D man just for comparison's sake). I'd consider making that deal. There's a drop-off from Nemec to Nazar but I also really like Nazar. Now if it were 3 for 8 and 13, you've dropped off the curve on my 3-7 tier and I'm not making that move any more. Moving back from 3 is not as big a deal for me. Moving back from 1 or 2 wouldn't be a great move though, short of getting a great package back.

18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, IF HuGO is so convinced Laf would end up being a better player than Wright, maybe i consider it, but the fact Wright looks to be NHL ready with 3 years of ELC we wont get with Laff makes a huge difference to me.  Also he's a centre. Id want another faily major asset from NY + Laff = 1st OVA. 

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Now that we have an 18.5% of getting the first overall draft pick, I want to take Wright. B) Which I'm sure is the consensus. I wouldn't wanna trade the hypothetical first overall pick for Alexis Lafreniere

I imagine everybody's first choice would be Wright. Didn't look plausible a few weeks ago

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I imagine everybody's first choice would be Wright. Didn't look plausible a few weeks ago

Agree. Still a large chance we dont get 1st overall but we now have the best odds of any individual team so lets hope. Would potentially be a franchise-changing move if he is able to one day be Bergeron-level. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Agree. Still a large chance we dont get 1st overall but we now have the best odds of any individual team so lets hope. Would potentially be a franchise-changing move if he is able to one day be Bergeron-level. 

We can only hope the luck we've had this year doesn't extend into the draft. Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake? 

I'd be very happy with Wright obviously but it's kinda annoying that the season we just went through probably won't end with us getting a truly elite talent. It seems that we always have high draft picks in somewhat mediocre draft years :rolleyes:

On 4/29/2022 at 5:14 AM, ChiLla said:

I'd be very happy with Wright obviously but it's kinda annoying that the season we just went through probably won't end with us getting a truly elite talent. It seems that we always have high draft picks in somewhat mediocre draft years :rolleyes:

Undoubtedly frustrating... in 2012, there really weren't any elite talents to be had in the top 10. The best talents to come out of that draft were Forsbeg, Hertl, and Rielly and while all first-line level players, none is really a top 10 elite forward or D man in the league. The year after that produces elite talents in Mackinnon and Barkov and 2014 had Draisaitl and Pastrnak, as well as Point lower down. 2015 was a big year with McDavid, Eichel, Rantanen, Marner, Barzal, Connor, Aho, Kaprizov, Werenski, etc. It's shaping up to have been a very strong draft year, and we picked at 26 that year after most of the elite talent was gone. 2016 had an elite talent in Matthews at the top, and some decent options like Laine, McAvoy, Tkachuk, Fox, Sergachev, etc after that but really one true elite player gone by the time the Habs picked at 9. The 3 best players in 2017 went 3-4-5 with Heiskanen, Makar, and Pettersson, and the 2018 draft that saw us draft 3rd really only had two elite guys thus far and left us out in the cold, hence why I'm hoping we don't get stuck in 3rd again, watching Wright and Cooley go and then slotting in after that drop-off in talent level. The other drafts since need some time to mature to comment on.

So yeah, this season, I think there are a few good players there, but there's no Matthews or McDavid or Crosby or Mackinnon or clearcut gamechanger. Next year, there may be 3 elite guys at the top, which is why it's tempting to hope for another year of tanking just to get a shot at one of those franchise-changing players. It's also another reason why Logan Cooley may ultimately be a guy who is the best option for the Habs. He honestly may end up being more successful than Wright (and I wonder if Cooley's ceiling isn't higher based on skill level) and unlike Wright or Slavkovsky who could probably step onto an NHL roster next year, Cooley likely plays at least one year of college and thus doesn't change your draft odds at all for next season. Regardless of how people feel about a bad year (and we all hate losing), there's zero doubt that you need elite players to win championships and that you get those guys primarily at the top of the draft. Byron Bader, who does draft analysis, put out some data this week showing that on average, most Cup winners in the past 20-30 years had significantly more star players (as defined by career production numbers) whereas the runners-up tended to have more guys having career years but who weren't stars throughout their careers, suggesting that over-performing and luck could carry you to the finals but rarely took you over the hump when up against a truly elite roster. In his work, Bader showed the Blues Cup win of a few years ago was really the only outlier in terms of a line-up that didn't feature 5-6 star players or more.

So in any case, I do think the Habs will get better after this draft. If we can add one of Wright or Cooley and then also bring in a guy who has a shot at being a 1st-pairing D man later in the first round, I think we're in good position, but we'll need to build on that with another top 5 (and ideally top 3) pick next year if we want these drafts to catapult us to contender status in a couple of years.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Undoubtedly frustrating... in 2012, there really weren't any elite talents to be had in the top 10. The best talents to come out of that draft were Forsbeg, Hertl, and Rielly and while all first-line level players, none is really a top 10 elite forward or D man in the league. The year after that produces elite talents in Mackinnon and Barkov and 2014 had Draisaitl and Pastrnak, as well as Point lower down. 2015 was a big year with McDavid, Eichel, Rantanen, Marner, Barzal, Connor, Aho, Kaprizov, Werenski, etc. It's shaping up to have been a very strong draft year, and we picked at 26 that year after most of the elite talent was gone. 2016 had an elite talent in Matthews at the top, and some decent options like Laine, McAvoy, Tkachuk, Fox, Sergachev, etc after that but really one true elite player gone by the time the Habs picked at 9. The 3 best players in 2017 went 3-4-5 with Heiskanen, Makar, and Pettersson, and the 2018 draft that saw us draft 3rd really only had two elite guys thus far and left us out in the cold, hence why I'm hoping we don't get stuck in 3rd again, watching Wright and Cooley go and then slotting in after that drop-off in talent level. The other drafts since need some time to mature to comment on.

So yeah, this season, I think there are a few good players there, but there's no Matthews or McDavid or Crosby or Mackinnon or clearcut gamechanger. Next year, there may be 3 elite guys at the top, which is why it's tempting to hope for another year of tanking just to get a shot at one of those franchise-changing players. It's also another reason why Logan Cooley may ultimately be a guy who is the best option for the Habs. He honestly may end up being more successful than Wright (and I wonder if Cooley's ceiling isn't higher based on skill level) and unlike Wright or Slavkovsky who could probably step onto an NHL roster next year, Cooley likely plays at least one year of college and thus doesn't change your draft odds at all for next season. Regardless of how people feel about a bad year (and we all hate losing), there's zero doubt that you need elite players to win championships and that you get those guys primarily at the top of the draft. Byron Bader, who does draft analysis, put out some data this week showing that on average, most Cup winners in the past 20-30 years had significantly more star players (as defined by career production numbers) whereas the runners-up tended to have more guys having career years but who weren't stars throughout their careers, suggesting that over-performing and luck could carry you to the finals but rarely took you over the hump when up against a truly elite roster. In his work, Bader showed the Blues Cup win of a few years ago was really the only outlier in terms of a line-up that didn't feature 5-6 star players or more.

So in any case, I do think the Habs will get better after this draft. If we can add one of Wright or Cooley and then also bring in a guy who has a shot at being a 1st-pairing D man later in the first round, I think we're in good position, but we'll need to build on that with another top 5 (and ideally top 3) pick next year if we want these drafts to catapult us to contender status in a couple of years.

If the team is thinking long term, then you can put Wright on your farm team for a year of seasoning. We always hear how we don't develop players properly well it always seems the fans want the high draft picks to be on the team right away. There is nothing that says we would have to put Wright directly into the lineup. I think JK would of benefitted from a year in the AHL. 

11 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

If the team is thinking long term, then you can put Wright on your farm team for a year of seasoning. We always hear how we don't develop players properly well it always seems the fans want the high draft picks to be on the team right away. There is nothing that says we would have to put Wright directly into the lineup. I think JK would of benefitted from a year in the AHL. 

Normally i would agree, but if this team is not playoff bound next year, and the goal is to play the kids, then you may as well do it in Montreal rather then Laval. If he's going to be parked on the 3rd or 4th line, then by all means send him down.

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Normally i would agree, but if this team is not playoff bound next year, and the goal is to play the kids, then you may as well do it in Montreal rather then Laval. If he's going to be parked on the 3rd or 4th line, then by all means send him down.

He could play top line minutes in Laval in all situations and it's still a jump from where he was playing. If it is a long term and he is good so he dominates in the AHL one year and doesn't improve the team by being up and hurting the teams draft position. Maybe Laval wins while he's there building a winning culture instead of getting used to losing.

It was nice to see the team having more fun under MSL. What I don't want to see is if the team stays bad but the team not caring just having fun because losing is now okay in the short term. What if we try the long rebuild and Suzuki say he wants out hates losing at some point. There were a lot of years people thought McDavid would demand a trade. 

23 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Assuming Suzuki, Dvorak and Evans  (4th) are locks at Centre, then if Wright proves to be better than the 3rd line Centre of Pitlick or Poehling or Dauphin signing etc. then I think he plays to learn the defensive responsibilities and other facets etc. If the evaluation or 9-10 game stint reveals bigger development needs then I’m sure he gets returned to junior.

I’m not sure an under 20 year old can play in the ahl as wasn’t that a covid pandemic exception or did the rule get amended? 

• H_T_L locked this topic