The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

POLL: Your preferred draft pick?

Your draft pick?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which player/position would you fill with either the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick??

• Next best available C
    • Best available RW
    • Best available LW
    • Best available RD
    • Best available LD
    • Doesn't matter,,,, BPA

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

If the team is thinking long term, then you can put Wright on your farm team for a year of seasoning. We always hear how we don't develop players properly well it always seems the fans want the high draft picks to be on the team right away. There is nothing that says we would have to put Wright directly into the lineup. I think JK would of benefitted from a year in the AHL. 

But would Wright be allowed to play in the AHL? I don't think he would be. I think players in their draft +1 year have to make the NHL or else go back to their junior team. They can only play in the AHL when they're no longer junior-eligible. That's why it's different for American players who can play in college or Europeans who can play in men's leagues overseas. Junior-eligible players in Canada only get exempted to leave their junior teams if it's for the NHL, so as opposed to Cooley, Wright would be stuck between junior (where he has little to prove and learn) or the NHL. It's a small problem in general, but he does make your roster better next year than Cooley or Nemec or Savoie, none of whom are likely to play in the NHL next season. And that could make your bottom-feeder team an 8th or 10th-last team instead of a 2nd or 3rd-last place team and potentially ruins your chances at Bedard or Michkov or Fantilli. If we go into next year without Price, Petry, a 2C, or any other upgrades, then I think we're a non-playoff team. In that case, may as well be a team drafting a star rather than a team not drafting a star.

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

But would Wright be allowed to play in the AHL? I don't think he would be. I think players in their draft +1 year have to make the NHL or else go back to their junior team. They can only play in the AHL when they're no longer junior-eligible. That's why it's different for American players who can play in college or Europeans who can play in men's leagues overseas. Junior-eligible players in Canada only get exempted to leave their junior teams if it's for the NHL, so as opposed to Cooley, Wright would be stuck between junior (where he has little to prove and learn) or the NHL. It's a small problem in general, but he does make your roster better next year than Cooley or Nemec or Savoie, none of whom are likely to play in the NHL next season. And that could make your bottom-feeder team an 8th or 10th-last team instead of a 2nd or 3rd-last place team and potentially ruins your chances at Bedard or Michkov or Fantilli. If we go into next year without Price, Petry, a 2C, or any other upgrades, then I think we're a non-playoff team. In that case, may as well be a team drafting a star rather than a team not drafting a star.

Well that is a stupid rule. How does that help a players development? There are times when not a Crosby and the player could use AHL time. Playing against Juniors some 15-16 doesn't make sense. Can a player make the team and then be sent down? To the farm team. 

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Well that is a stupid rule. How does that help a players development? There are times when not a Crosby and the player could use AHL time. Playing against Juniors some 15-16 doesn't make sense. Can a player make the team and then be sent down? To the farm team. 

BigTed essentially answered my question that I raised earlier. The answer is No - a player still eligible for junior and not as an overage junior cannot player in the AHL. There were some exceptions or waivers of that rule only during the Covid year when junior games were suspended.  It’s the reason why Guhle was sent back vs Laval. The Laffs had the same issue for Marner when he came up as the OHL MVP or player of the year so they chose to keep him on their nhl roster. 
There is the Slide rule which allows players to play 9 games before a year of their entry level contract is burnt but that’s irrelevant to the decision on sending a player down. 
If the player makes the roster is also irrelevant- the team has to send him back to junior if he stumbles. 
I agree with you on stupid rule but I believe it was negotiated with the CHL to protect their league as having good players vs players jumping at will to the AHL as an alternative junior development league. There should be some exceptions but the junior team owners will hate it as they are invested in their players. 

10 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

If you start taking all the 18 year old and overage players out of junior hockey the people who support the game will no longer be interested. Even junior hockey needs good players to draw in the crowds. 

7 hours ago, habs1952 said:

If you start taking all the 18 year old and overage players out of junior hockey the people who support the game will no longer be interested. Even junior hockey needs good players to draw in the crowds. 

So you stunt the growth or development to hype up a minor league! What about drawing interest in the AHL the same way. It's still a stupid rule which actually hurts development. 

• H_T_L locked this topic