The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

• H_T_L pinned this topic

I'll never forget Guy flying down the wing and blasting a slapshot past Gerry Cheevers. You will be missed Flower. :6351:

Also won't forget Guy standing outside Maple Leaf Gardens chain smoking after my first Habs game. :wut2:

1 minute ago, habs1952 said:

I'll never forget Guy flying down the wing and blasting a slapshot past Gerry Cheevers. You will be missed Flower. :6351:

Also won't forget Guy standing outside Maple Leaf Gardens chain smoking after my first Habs game. :wut2:

He used to smoke between periods as well.

Just now, kinot-2 said:

He used to smoke between periods as well.

im pretty sure there was a clip of him actually smoking ON the bench at one point!

Will be missed. A true legend.  Wore #10 in his honour on every sports team I ever played on till i was about 14 and switched to 27 (the star of our team already had 10 :P)

There was a book about the Habs written in 1986 by Chrys Goyens called 'Lions In Winter'. It broke up the various eras of the team's history into chapters focusing on the most central figure of the time. Beliveau's chapter was 'The Lion Regal'. I think Richard's was 'The Lion Triumphant' but my memory isn't as good as it once was and the book has long left my possession.

I am fairly certain though that Guy's chapter was 'The Lion In Flight'.

I met him once for sure and maybe twice. He was up in Yellowknife when I was a kid, I think. He and Steve Shutt put on a clinic - in the literal sense of the term - and I once had a stick signed by the two of them because my father was heavily involved in minor hockey and had some behind the scenes access.

A few years back, six? seven?, he coached in an all star charity game in Halifax and someone with an extra ticket thought of me and got me there. Stephane Richer and Guy signed their entries in my 'Habs Heroes' book. Guy also signed my CH crest and I have a picture that has long remained digital and will soon be framed.

I don't think it's out of line to note that he probably wasn't the classiest player in history but that need not besmirch his legacy. He was a product of his generation that nevertheless loved the game and the team no less than any of those that held high the torch before him. The picture of him kneeling while Beliveau lay in state really drives home how the Canadiens strive (or at least used to strive) to create a sense of continuity and history and pride.

Someone in reddit posted this. It was awful watching him play in other uniforms but Habs fans always loved watching him play in Montreal and would always root for him.

Just wanted to come out from behind my curtain of lurking to share in the loss. RIP #10.

Hope you're all well. Take care of each other.

1 hour ago, Flying_Lion said:

It was awful watching him play in other uniforms but Habs fans always loved watching him play in Montreal and would always root for him.

The only time I got to see him play was when he was suiting up for the Nordiques played the Canucks in like 1990. The nordiques won it in OT. I didnt particularly like them (Vancouver has always been my 2nd team after the habs) but i was cheering for them all night just for GUY. I think Sakic got the winning goal and Guy didnt get any points but I didnt care.  He was still the greatest.

Im going to start a tribute portrait of him this weekend.  

27 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The only time I got to see him play was when he was suiting up for the Nordiques played the Canucks in like 1990. The nordiques won it in OT. I didnt particularly like them (Vancouver has always been my 2nd team after the habs) but i was cheering for them all night just for GUY. I think Sakic got the winning goal and Guy didnt get any points but I didnt care.  He was still the greatest.

Im going to start a tribute portrait of him this weekend.  

We want pics when you're done. :)

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

We want pics when you're done. :)

You bet!  i'll talk to my contact at the team - if they are ok with me using the branding, i may try offering for prints with a percentage going to Canadian Cancer Foundation. 

10 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You bet!  i'll talk to my contact at the team - if they are ok with me using the branding, i may try offering for prints with a percentage going to Canadian Cancer Foundation. 

:5185:

Have to admit this brought a tear to my eyes. My favourite player of all time. Got the signed sweater and 8x10. Everyone likes Lemaire at center, but I also liked Pete Mahovlich at that spot. Back when tickets in Winnipeg were $45 for row 10. Seen a lot of his games. Also seen his last with the Rangers. Since I am presently battling colon and liver cancer, this really got to me today. You don’t realize how tough it is until you go through it. RIP Guy you were a true gem. 

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic