The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NHL 2022 Draft

claremont

As a matter of housekeeping for the draft...

- Flames have won their division, so are guaranteed to have a 1st round choice between 25 and 32.

- Best-case scenario for us is for them to get knocked out in the firs two rounds AND to have the other division winners ahead of them in the overall standings (Fla, Col, and Car) all get knocked out before the conference finals too. That would make it the 25th overall pick. However, if the Flames make the WCF and lose there, we're hoping for Florida or Carolina to also make the ECF and get knocked out in that round. That would give us the 29th overall pick.

56 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Just curious. Would you trade our 1st, for an established good young player?

Depends who it is.

Under most circumstances, no, because I think Wright is a near cant fail prospect and will give us 3 very cheap years.  But if the return is an established, top line centre who is under 22 then its tough to say no to that too. I just cant see why a team woudl do that. We need a centre most of all so its not like we're going to get offered a top pairing dman and give up the chance to draft wright.

I think there's a possibility a team who is picking, say, top 5 and wants wright, offers us 5th overall + top prospect but id honestly be very very surprised if we traded 1st pick.

If we lose the lottery and move to 3rd or something it becomes more likely but even then, i suspect we keep our pick. 

All the hype seems to be for Wright, but the little i've seen of this kid still leaves me with doubts. I personally haven't seen a game where he dominated, which leaves me questioning his ability to be the elite player we need. I just hope he's not a Wickenheiser 2.0 if Wright ends up a Hab,, because i remember the hype about him. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

All the hype seems to be for Wright, but the little i've seen of this kid still leaves me with doubts. I personally haven't seen a game where he dominated, which leaves me questioning his ability to be the elite player we need. I just hope he's not a Wickenheiser 2.0 if Wright ends up a Hab,, because i remember the hype about him. :rolleyes:

unfortunately, I don't think there are any elite players in this draft. Wright, to me, seems like a sure thing top 6 center, but when we already have Suzuki, its still a big peice for us. 

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

unfortunately, I don't think there are any elite players in this draft. Wright, to me, seems like a sure thing top 6 center, but when we already have Suzuki, its still a big peice for us. 

Yeah,,,,from what i've seen of him, he doesn't seem like much of a consolation prize for the horror of a season we just went through. I truly hope i'm wrong.

26 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Im no scout & really only know what i see with the eye test or read. That said the feeling im getting from Wright is that he's at worst a 2 way player like ROR, Couturier or Eriksson Ek.   At best, he might be a Bergeron/Stone/Toews type player.

None of those guys are flashy & most didnt seem "elite" in junior but were just monsters with the puck, and can take on huge minutes in any situation freeing up an exploitation line (like Suzuki-CC) giving you a super strong top 6.   

You're not getting McDavid or Matthews with Wright (or anyone else in this draft most likely) but if you can get a Phil Danault who can score an additional 30+ points a year i think you're going to be very very happy with this addition.

The best scouting site I read put it pretty succinctly when they said Wright was a 1/5 risk and 5/5 reward.  

I think we need to remember that most, if not all, of these kids lost a year of junior development due to covid. We need to speculate where they would be with that extra year of hockey under their belts. Not an easy thing to do. 

6 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I think we need to remember that most, if not all, of these kids lost a year of junior development due to covid. We need to speculate where they would be with that extra year of hockey under their belts. Not an easy thing to do. 

that;s a good point! That might be partially the reason this class looks a little weaker

20 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Just curious. Would you trade our 1st, for an established good young player?

I would be hard-pressed to trade that first pick. You don't get top 3 choices handed to you too often. That said, there is a situation where I would consider it. I kind of feel like we're back in 2018 again, where Dahlin was the clearcut consensus #1 pick and Svechnikov was the clear #2 and then it was more wide open. This year, Wright is almost universally the #1 and Cooley is a pretty clear #2 right now. After that, is it Slafkovsky? Is it Nemec or Jiricek? Is it Savoie? Nazar? Kemell? Lambert? I think there's more debate for 3. So all that to say that I can live with falling down one spot to 2, but I really hope we didn't go through this season to sit at 3. I'd be very happy to get Wright or Cooley and while one of the others could bend up being better, they're longer shots to be top-tier and to fill a major need for us in our organizational depth chart. Some might find this a bit surprising, but I'm pretty sold on Wright and Cooley as the top 2, and the guy right now that's jumped up my personal rankings recently has been Jiricek, and he's a guy I might look to as my third-best choice for the Habs. So if we're stuck at 3 and Wright and Cooley do go top 2, then I'm considering fielding calls for 3rd overall. I'm not sure there's a lot to separate Nemec, Jiricek, Savoie, Slafkovsky, and maybe even Nazar, so much of this is going to come down to personal preference. I'd risk dropping down to 4, 5, or even 6 if it brought in something else significant. For example, if Philly offered us #5 and Sanheim for the #3, I'd do it. If I end up with the guy I wanted at 5 anyways, you just got a free asset. And if you end up not getting your first choice, like I said, the others are not that far off. But maybe someone else in the top 6 has one guy they really want more than others...

I also think there's going to be a nice player for us sitting there at 25-32 when we come up with Calgary's pick. Calle Odelius is the guy I'm most interested in there, but Luneau, Salomonsson, Trikozov, Ostlund, and others are all in play for me if they get that far.

And at 33, it's the pick of the litter for who's left after round 1. It's actually a great spot to be in for a trade because the first round ends, everyone has time to think about the guy they wanted that slipped out of the 1st round, and you have time to field offers and compare them and put GMs up against each other. You can especially look at teams like Chicago, Calgary, Vegas, Florida, or Carolina who traded out of the 1st round completely, and someone might be willing to move back up. Chicago, for example, moving up from something like 37-40 wouldn't be much of a fall back for us but could net us another asset. Or maybe a team like Carolina swaps us Ryan Suzuki in exchange for trading picks. Or maybe a team trades us a 2023 1st for that pick. Lots of options here.

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I also think there's going to be a nice player for us sitting there at 25-32 when we come up with Calgary's pick. Calle Odelius is the guy I'm most interested in there, but Luneau, Salomonsson, Trikozov, Ostlund, and others are all in play for me if they get that far.

And at 33, it's the pick of the litter for who's left after round 1. It's actually a great spot to be in for a trade because the first round ends, everyone has time to think about the guy they wanted that slipped out of the 1st round, and you have time to field offers and compare them and put GMs up against each other. You can especially look at teams like Chicago, Calgary, Vegas, Florida, or Carolina who traded out of the 1st round completely, and someone might be willing to move back up. Chicago, for example, moving up from something like 37-40 wouldn't be much of a fall back for us but could net us another asset. Or maybe a team like Carolina swaps us Ryan Suzuki in exchange for trading picks. Or maybe a team trades us a 2023 1st for that pick. Lots of options here.

I would rather see us use pick 25-32 and swing for a bit of a high ceiling player - Calle Odelius could be the BPA and a LHD but seems to me to be a safer pick that fits with our cupboard of LHD prospects and that whole need argument rises again. There isn't that much tier separation to pick #33. Perhaps LW goal scorers Perevalov or Trikozov as you mentioned. Ostlund is small for my liking, otherwise the other 3 of your in play work. Czech C - Jiri Kulich I will bet has shot up some draft boards based on his play at the U18. The USA U18 team is built for this tournament as they play as a team all year round, so I don't get as much excitement from their performance, but there will be some risers in their grouping that I hope we should be careful of. The Swedes and The Finns will be viewed heavily in their peer comparisons (they play each other in the semi's) to the USA team (who play the Czech's). I expect a lot of scout eyes on Finns LW Janni Nyman, or RHD Otto Salin, and swedish D Salomonsson, Odelius, LW Ohgren and Suzdalev. All who are late 1sts to mid-2nd round tier. 

51 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Wacky trade idea (just fooling around here).

MTL:
Buffalo's 1st rounder 2022
Vegas' 1st rounder 2022

BUF:
Montreal's 1st rounder 2022
Calgary's 1st rounder 2022

I know you're just playing but the assumption here is that Barfalo's will be around 8-10 and Vegas' will be maybe around 15.... and we'd trade them a top 3 pick + Calgary's (probably high 20s), so, something like:

1st + 25th

for 

9th + 15th.
(Understanding that these numbers may jump around a bit).

I can see certain scenarios where this worked out but i think Wright is still just better enough to make that 1st overall virtually untouchable for me.   Now, if we lose both lotteries & it ends up being 3rd ova... then there's more wiggle room especially since there's a good chance teams picking 3rd - 6th will all get the BPA in their eyes.  There's not a lot of consensus.

To me, id be much more inclined (If i was to entertain a deal) to look at a team that finishes with pick #4-7 and will also add a young prospect / player.  BigTed floated the idea of say Philly's pick (probably #4-5) + Sanheim... id definitely consider that for 2nd or 3rd overall.  Im not sure i'd do it for 1st though since im really warming up to Wright and he does provide 3 very cheap years... 

Just now, jennifer_rocket said:

I have another question.

Is it true that teams can only move up a total of 10 spots during the draft lottery?

So... if Vegas wins they can only go from 16th overall to 6th overall? What happens if Vegas wins the draft lottery? Are we automatically given the 1st overall?

Yep, exactly.  

That's why there was a decent jump in odds between last place and second-last place - we get the first pick if our name is drawn OR if any of the bottom teams win

My observations from watching the medal rounds of the U18 championships won by Sweden over the USA

1) Jiri Kulich, C-Czechia and ranked #22 by NHL central scouting really put on a show and was MVP - he will rise up in rankings. #9 ranked RW swede Lekkermiaki was as  advertised a skating force. Both made the tournament all star team. Logan Cooley made it but to be honest, IMO Rutger McGroaty or Frankie Nazar could have made it just as easily as Cooley who clearly has superb vision and passing ability but I have said this before, Cooley plays with a lot of balanced players which elevates his game. Joakim Kemmell missed the game against Lativia for the fins but still had 6G and 2 A including a hat trick against Canada. He is a sniper. Other solid players Swedes Liam Ohgren, Noah Ostlund (who looks small), Odelius and Salmonsson did not light up the scoresheet but are solid players for late first round d-men. 

2) Canada's team other than Connor Bedard were a bunch of also rans - our top 18 and under are primarily playing for their junior club teams in playoffs. A lot of misfits and only had 2 players I think ranked in top 50 for this year's draft. The USA team is totally built for this tournament, play year round with each other and it showed

3) I am not convinced that there is a massive drop off from top 6 draft players to the next series of say picks 7-15 many of whom played in this tournament. If we get bumped to the #3 draft position, and HuGo get an offer from Columbus to trade our pick #3 and Calgary's pick (25-32 TBD) or our pick #33, for the current Blue Jackets pick 7 & 13, one would have to give that serious consideration - I cannot foresee many other combinations - I wouldn't trade with Buffalo or Ottawa (in division) and dropping down to #10 Anahem who also have #24 is a very large drop. Dropping down a few positions like #3 to current #6 Philly - they don't have another pick until #70 is ridiculous. IMO another team would have to really covet our pick and give us something much more than draft picks for us to move.  

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Dropping down a few positions like #3 to current #6 Philly - they don't have another pick until #70 is ridiculous. IMO another team would have to really covet our pick and give us something much more than draft picks for us to move.  

Yeah in most cases if we were to trade 3oa I think HuGo would want at least a top 7 pick back and a top prospect or at least a young player.  The idea was floated. 3oa for Philly 6oa and Sanheim for example - who is not that young anymore but would still provide us with 5+ solid years most likely. 

• H_T_L changed the title to NHL 2022 Draft
  • H_T_L locked this topic