The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NHL 2022 Draft

claremont

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Bettman threatening to move the draft if restrictions aren't lifted in Quebec.

No surprise.  Probably benefits the Habs anyway.  Why lose the market when you can play it up in the USA. They'll get it back when they can have fans and make money. Only makes cents.

On 1/30/2022 at 6:45 PM, BigTed3 said:

Agreed with you on most of this about Bedard. I will say, however, with respect to teammates, that at the junior or college level, it can be hard to tell what role teammates play in your success. In US college, the best players tend to go to a select few schools. It doesn't mean they should be weighted down for that advantage, although I get your point that you kind of have to sift through who is moving the needle and who is being moved by it. It's the same thing in pro hockey. Markov moved the needle and Komisarek was his passenger. Same thing with Chiarot, Weber made him better, and even Petry made him better this year, but he's been crap without Petry next to him this season. Tatar and Gallagher carried Danault, who wasn't that great without those two wingers. Price's play last post-season made everyone rave about our top 4 D men, but the truth is that without Price, they're probably getting lambasted for being bad, just as they are this year. So you have to interpret everything in context. Likewise, with the CHL, most teams that are stacked will trade for other prospects to take a run at the Memorial Cup and those teams' rosters tend to be very cyclic. So I'm not downgrading Savoie or Geekie because they're on a good team, just like I wouldn't have downgraded McKinnon or Drouin for playing on a powerhouse unless advanced stats told me that.

And that's largely one way I use advanced stats and possession metrics to look at players and how GMs make trades. I've gone over this before but a lot of trade outcomes are somewhat predictable based on advanced stats. Petry had bad numbers in Edmonton, but he had strong stats relative to his weak team. Dvorak had bad possession numbers relative to an already-bad team. Savard had bad numbers on a good team, suggesting he was being propped up, as did Alzner. So you can look at stuff like this and get an idea of whether a player is the product of his team and advantages or whether he's driving his own success (or lack of it). Harder to do this with junior since this data isn't captured very well.

Sorry Ted not actually quoting you just wanted to add my 2 cents to this conversation LOL. 

If we win 1st over all, my question for everyone is this. Would you rather have the sure fire guy who is going to make the NHL and be a top 6 forward or the guy who has raw talent that needs refining but even after you spend all that money refining him could turn into a draft bust? Picking at 1st OVA for me it's not even a choice, maybe if we were drafting in the 5-10 slot you take that chance and definitely you do outside the top 10 but not in the 1-3. In the 1-3 you do your homework, gather as much information as you can and trust those who you put in charge of drafting for your organization and pick the best player with the highest odds of making the NHL. For me so far this year it is Wright, I have only seen a few of his games this year but he absolutely dominates the play. Even when he isn't scoring he is factoring in on the plays. You don't turn down a probable Bergeron type of player in favor of a possible Aho type of player. IF you do you you had better make sure you are getting the Aho type of player is going to hit on Carolina's Aho and not New York Islanders Aho.

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Sorry Ted not actually quoting you just wanted to add my 2 cents to this conversation LOL. 

If we win 1st over all, my question for everyone is this. Would you rather have the sure fire guy who is going to make the NHL and be a top 6 forward or the guy who has raw talent that needs refining but even after you spend all that money refining him could turn into a draft bust? Picking at 1st OVA for me it's not even a choice, maybe if we were drafting in the 5-10 slot you take that chance and definitely you do outside the top 10 but not in the 1-3. In the 1-3 you do your homework, gather as much information as you can and trust those who you put in charge of drafting for your organization and pick the best player with the highest odds of making the NHL. For me so far this year it is Wright, I have only seen a few of his games this year but he absolutely dominates the play. Even when he isn't scoring he is factoring in on the plays. You don't turn down a probable Bergeron type of player in favor of a possible Aho type of player. IF you do you you had better make sure you are getting the Aho type of player is going to hit on Carolina's Aho and not New York Islanders Aho.

I agree completely, no matter how much a lot of fans want a 'highlight film" type player. I want the solid player. This year the draft at least so far is in Montreal and then we possibly get the #1 pick. What would the fans do if our draft pick had flashes and then was a bust.

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree completely, no matter how much a lot of fans want a 'highlight film" type player. I want the solid player. This year the draft at least so far is in Montreal and then we possibly get the #1 pick. What would the fans do if our draft pick had flashes and then was a bust.

Been there, done that! 

4 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

. What would the fans do if our draft pick had flashes and then was a bust.

Same always , complain management can't draft or complain that they ruined his development 

16 hours ago, electron58 said:

No surprise.  Probably benefits the Habs anyway.  Why lose the market when you can play it up in the USA. They'll get it back when they can have fans and make money. Only makes cents.

I don't think the draft is a "making money" issue. I doubt it generates very little if any direct income for the NHL. The issue is having the kids and relatives in the building waiting to hear their names. Can't do that if they don't allow spectators.

49 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I don't think the draft is a "making money" issue. I doubt it generates very little if any direct income for the NHL. The issue is having the kids and relatives in the building waiting to hear their names. Can't do that if they don't allow spectators.

Still good for whichever city hosts it. Lots of collateral earnings. I was going to go to Montreal for the draft a few years ago, and with the entry tickets,  hotel rooms, food and drink, I would have dropped a few thousand dollars. I'm sure there are many more people who spend way,  way more than I do, so yeah, there's money to be made. It doesn't all have to go into the NHL's pocket.

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Still good for whichever city hosts it. Lots of collateral earnings. I was going to go to Montreal for the draft a few years ago, and with the entry tickets,  hotel rooms, food and drink, I would have dropped a few thousand dollars. I'm sure there are many more people who spend way,  way more than I do, so yeah, there's money to be made. It doesn't all have to go into the NHL's pocket.

I'm sure there are collateral earnings from restaurants and hotels ect... Wasn't aware you had to buy tickets to get in for the general public.

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Question for everyone, IF Montreal can grab another 1st in the 20+ range which RHD would you prefer to take? I am thinking Luneau, Bichsel or Nelson.

I’d rank Luneau as the top pick 

Bichsel is a LHD? 

Nelson just makes me think Victor Mete 

Elias salomonsson is one of the youngest players in the draft as a RHD and interesting, but I might double up on Centre at this range and take Nathan Gaucher- I’m not big on the US NtDP players this year. 

2 hours ago, claremont said:

I’d rank Luneau as the top pick 

Bichsel is a LHD? 

Nelson just makes me think Victor Mete 

Elias salomonsson is one of the youngest players in the draft as a RHD and interesting, but I might double up on Centre at this range and take Nathan Gaucher- I’m not big on the US NtDP players this year. 

Right Bichsel is a LHD but he reminds me of a Weber type of player so I figure worth a look lol

Nelson is 5'10" so smallish as a D man but he is also solid at 196 lbs compared to Mete who came into the league at like 175 lbs. I get the worry but Nelson seems like a solid enough player he isn't going to get pushed around too much. I could be wrong though lol.

Solomonsson is interesting, I just missed him lol

On 1/30/2022 at 5:45 PM, claremont said:

Connor Bedard could change the face of hockey to reconsider smaller players who generally have the advantage of speed over most taller players, but that has to be coupled with elite vision, and other superb skills.  I am dating myself but when Wayne Gretzky was emerging, many thought he was too lightweight but he was like hitting rope - he virtually always saw it coming. I absolutely hate even mentioning the LAFFS in this forum but Marner has the edgework and vision to a degree of Gretzky. I don't think Bedard is too small for the first overall pick when you make up for size with many other qualities - the only slightly below elite quality that Bedard might not have is an over powering shot but he puts the puck in the net regardless. (that answers your first question).

On 2/5/2022 at 2:55 PM, H_T_L said:

As is tradition during the All-Star weekend, Gary Bettman spoke to the media last night and covered quite a few topics, but none more important for Montreal than the upcoming draft. Obviously, Canada currently has a lot more Covid related restrictions than the USA and if that remains the case, the NHL draft could be on the move. As you know, the 2020 draft was meant to be held in Montreal but then the pandemic happened, the 2021 draft was supposed to take place in Seattle, but the pandemic was still going strong so for the last 2 seasons, the event was held remotely. Clearly, this season, the NHL has decided that the 2022 edition will be held in an arena with fans. It’s not that Bettman is a sentimentalist and wants the draftees to be cheered by the crowd, it’s all about the money. The draft is yet another money making event for the league and that’s the main reason why they want fans to have access, if that’s not possible in Montreal, it will be done elsewhere.

Top 20. I still take Shane Wright! Hope we get a couple more picks.

1. Shane Wright, C Kingston Frontenacs (OHL): While the gap may have tightened, make no mistake, this is still the Shane Wright draft.

2. Joakim Kemell, LW, JYP (Liiga): Has finally returned after missing more than a month due to a shoulder issue. Here’s hoping he can regain the touch that saw him become Liiga’s leading scorer 18 games into the season.

3. Logan Cooley, C, USNTDP: Plays with pace, passion and production. Has improved steadily throughout the season and projects to continue trending up.

4. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS Turku (Liiga): Has all the tools at his disposal, but there is some concern about the numbers. Liiga numbers are typically predictive of NHL success and his are lacking (one goal, four points in 21 games). Having said that, he made Slovakia’s Olympic team as a 17-year-old.

5. Brad Lambert, C, Pelicans (Liiga): Remains the most fascinating prospect in the higher-end of this draft class.

6. Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg Ice (WHL): Point production has started to wane, but still has the ability to bring you out of your seat with a deft pass or a precise shot.

7. Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (KHL): Is effective at utilizing his teammates, but remains a constant scoring threat himself as well.

8. David Jiricek, D, HC Plzen (Extraliiga): Many in the scouting community still believe he’s the best defenceman available and won’t be deterred by the knee injury he sustained at the world juniors.

9. Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omsk (VHL): Shot and skating ability translate well already and he’s not far off with the rest of his game.

10. Conor Geekie, C, Winnipeg Ice (WHL): Concerns about not playing inside the dots enough are legit, but as he matures and continues to get stronger, those issues will subside.

11. Simon Nemec, D, HK Nitra (Slovakia): Has continued to gain momentum in the conversation as the first D-man to have his name called in 2022.

12. Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden (SWE U20): Has a dynamic ability that scouts look for in a game-changing player.

13. Frank Nazar III, C, USNTDP: Holding steady in the rankings as a result of his combination of will and skill, not to mention he leads the scoring parade on a talented USNTDP team.

14. Cutter Gauthier, LW, USNTDP: Has emerged as the program’s top goal getter by a lengthy margin over the field (35 in 48 games).

15. Pavel Mintyukov, D, Saginaw Spirit (OHL): Dazzles with his feet and is super creative, showing a unique ability to make plays despite the risk level.

16. Jimmy Snuggerud, RW, USNTDP: Is effective at utilizing inside ice, winning battles and establishing net-front presence.

17. Isaac Howard, LW, USNTDP: High volume shooter who snipes as an equal opportunist against all levels of competition (league play, internationally and NCAA).

18. Marco Kasper, C, Rogle (SHL): Comes by his smarts honestly and has shown dashes of dynamic ability in league play despite limited minutes.

19. Filip Mesar, RW, HK Poprad (Slovakia): Has excellent vision and creativity to his game. Is able to create space for himself and open lanes for others with his quickness.

20. Ryan Chesley, D, USNTDP: Understands his best asset is as a defender who uses his feet effectively to get back on pucks and make the simple play to initiate transition.

So we're up to 2 draft choices in the first round now. As discussed the first one should land us one of the following:

- Wright

- Cooley

- Savoie

- Kemell

- Nemec

- Jiricek

- Yurov

If we happen to end up with a 2nd pick in the 12-20 range, the guys I'm most interested in targeting there would be

- Nazar

- Trikozov

- Lambert (if he falls)

- Miroshnichenko (if he falls)

- Lekkerimaki

If we end up with a pick 20 or lower, then some of the players of interest could include

- Salmonsson

- Odelius

- McGroarty

I do wonder if Gorton and Hughes might target an American player (Gorton's wheelhouse) or a Quebecer (Hughes' wheelhouse and to generate interest from the fanbase) with later 1st rounders. Players like Gaucher, Luneau, Hughes, Casey, Snuggerud, or Lamoureux could be targets for them.

15 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So we're up to 2 draft choices in the first round now. As discussed the first one should land us one of the following:

- Wright

- Cooley

- Savoie

- Kemell

- Nemec

- Jiricek

- Yurov

If we happen to end up with a 2nd pick in the 12-20 range, the guys I'm most interested in targeting there would be

- Nazar

- Trikozov

- Lambert (if he falls)

- Miroshnichenko (if he falls)

- Lekkerimaki

If we end up with a pick 20 or lower, then some of the players of interest could include

- Salmonsson

- Odelius

- McGroarty

I do wonder if Gorton and Hughes might target an American player (Gorton's wheelhouse) or a Quebecer (Hughes' wheelhouse and to generate interest from the fanbase) with later 1st rounders. Players like Gaucher, Luneau, Hughes, Casey, Snuggerud, or Lamoureux could be targets for them.

We will probably have at least one more #1 pick who knows if the sell of is big we may even have more! the draft is in MTL so they may want to make a huge splash.

1 minute ago, ramcharger440 said:

We will probably have at least one more #1 pick who knows if the sell of is big we may even have more! the draft is in MTL so they may want to make a huge splash.

I'd expect them to add a 1st for Chiarot as well as a 1st for Lehkonen if they trade him. Not sure if they'll aim for 2022 or 2023 picks.

2022 CHL Top Prospect Game Roster Announced
On March 23 in Kitchener, Ontario, the 40 best draft-eligible prospects from the CHL will take part in one of the most intriguing scouting events of the season. The 2022 CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game is a place where the best-on-best battle for attention in front of scouts from every team in the league, trying to show exactly what kind of player they can be when the competition increases.

It’s not often you get to see players from the OHL, WHL, and QMJHL all compete with and against each other. Shane Wright, who has long been expected to go first overall in this summer’s draft–though that opinion has been questioned of late–will be there, along with other players competing for top spots like Matthew Savoie and Conor Geekie.

In all, the 40 players count 18 from the OHL, 15 from the WHL, and 7 from the QMJHL. Additionally, 23 CHL clubs are represented by at least one player, led by the Guelph Storm with four and Gatineau Olympiques, Kamloops Blazers, Seattle Thunderbirds, and Swift Current Broncos each with three, while 11 teams have multiple player representatives:

Forwards
Maxim Barbashev, Moncton Wildcats
Owen Beck, Mississauga Steelheads
Luca Del Bel Belluz, Mississauga
Josh Filmon, Swift Current Broncos
Jagger Firkus, Moose Jaw Warriors
Nathan Gaucher, Quebec Remparts
Ruslan Gazizov, London Knights
Conor Geekie, Winnipeg ICE
David Goyette, Sudbury Wolves
J. Gustafson, Seattle Thunderbirds
Hunter Haight, Barrie Colts
Jake Karabela, Guelph Storm
Paul Ludwinski, Kingston Frontenacs
B. McConnell-Barker, Soo Greyhounds
Fraser Minten, Kamloops Blazers
Matthew Poitras, Guelph Storm
Vinzenz Rohrer, Ottawa 67’s
Matyas Sapovaliv, Saginaw Spirit
Matthew Savoie, Winnipeg ICE
Reid Schaefer, Seattle Thunderbirds
Matthew Seminoff, Kamloops Blazers
A. Verreault, Gatineau Olympiques
Shane Wright, Kingston Frontenacs
Danny Zhilkin, Guelph Storm

Defencemen
Michael Buchinger, Guelph Storm
Jorian Donovan, Hamilton Bulldogs
Isaiah George, London Knights
Kevin Korchinski, Seattle Thunderbirds
M. Lamoureux, Drummondville Volts.
Mats Lindgren, Kamloops Blazers
Tristan Luneau, Gatineau Olympiques
D. Mateychuk, Moose Jaw Warriors
Pavel Mintyukov, Saginaw Spirit
Ty Nelson, North Bay Battalion
Owen Pickering, Swift Current Broncos
Noah Warren, Gatineau Olympiques

Goaltenders
Mason Beaupit, Spokane Chiefs
Tyler Brennan, Prince George Cougars
Reid Dyck, Swift Current Broncos
Ivan Zhigalov, Sherbrooke Phoenix

The 40 players will be divided into Teams Red and White with the rosters and coaching staffs announced in the coming weeks.

^^ Odds are high we're going to take a forward with our first pick, unless we really turn our season around and fall out of the top 3-4 selections. So that lower 1st has a possibility of being a D man. Mateychuk, Mintyukov, Luneau, Nelson, and Lamoureux are all guys who could end up in the lower third of the 1st round, so they could all be targets with that pick we obtained from Calgary.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ Odds are high we're going to take a forward with our first pick, unless we really turn our season around and fall out of the top 3-4 selections. So that lower 1st has a possibility of being a D man. Mateychuk, Mintyukov, Luneau, Nelson, and Lamoureux are all guys who could end up in the lower third of the 1st round, so they could all be targets with that pick we obtained from Calgary.

I certainly like the flexibility, as we also will likely have pick 33 or 34 top of the 2nd round. If we see a player that is very high on the radar or has a high ceiling, we can trade up or down without losing too much in position. Or take risk on the high ceiling potential as you have previously mentioned. 

As an example if Calgary’s pick is 26, and we see a player at pick 17, then trading 26 and 33 for 17 and 42 with a minor sweetener of a 5th rounder if needed etc is an option 

• H_T_L changed the title to NHL 2022 Draft
  • H_T_L locked this topic