The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NHL 2022 Draft

claremont

44 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Anybody watching the prospects game??

Saw some of it. Really impressed by Shane Wright's skating stride. Also still impressed by Matthew Savoie's puck skills. Tristan Luneau and Denton Mateychuk also impressive as D men, and I liked what I saw from Noah Warren too. Pavel Mintyukov is a guy who has been rocketing up boards (including my list) and his skating is strong, but he was really roaming all over the place tonight. He actually reminds me a bit of Sergachev.

1 minute ago, caperns61 said:

NHL Prospect Notebook: Takeaways from Top Prospects Game

Is this your guy BIG TED3 ?

Winnipeg’s Matthew Savoie had the most jump of anyone in the game. He’s electrifying with the puck on his stick. 

Another Add

1. Matthew Savoie, Winnipeg, Team Red: Finished first in the 30M skate forward with the puck, weave agility with puck, transition agility, reaction with puck

22 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

Another Add

1. Matthew Savoie, Winnipeg, Team Red: Finished first in the 30M skate forward with the puck, weave agility with puck, transition agility, reaction with puck

At this point my top 5 are 1) Shane Wright 2) Matthew Savoie 3) Juraj Slafkovsky (almost a tie with Savoie) 4) Cooley - who just committed to U of Minnesota for his next year development 5) Nimec or Kemell - I have watched Cooley's highlights and no doubt he has talent, but their program is largely exhibition hockey against USHL and college teams. The other guys are playing a team game where points, results, consistency of effort matter vs. showboating. I have difficulty ignoring that competitive aspect. 

2 hours ago, caperns61 said:

NHL Prospect Notebook: Takeaways from Top Prospects Game

Is this your guy BIG TED3 ?

Winnipeg’s Matthew Savoie had the most jump of anyone in the game. He’s electrifying with the puck on his stick. 

Yes, he's a player I really like coming into the draft this year. I think if we were assessing thing just based on puck skill, he's number one. He can shoot, he has great vision, he's a good skater, and he is masterful with the puck. And one thing that's important is that despite his smaller stature, he takes the puck into traffic and isn't afraid of that. He put that on display last night where he drove the net and skated at the defence a few times and was able to get around or through the mess. Maybe ironically, though, I'm not sure he's my number one any more. That isn't to say my opinion of Savoie has changed at all, but Shane Wright was even more impressive last night and has been playing better over the past couple of months in junior too. I think his skating has improved over the course of the season, and I'm actually quite impressed by how natural his stride is.

1 hour ago, claremont said:

At this point my top 5 are 1) Shane Wright 2) Matthew Savoie 3) Juraj Slafkovsky (almost a tie with Savoie) 4) Cooley - who just committed to U of Minnesota for his next year development 5) Nimec or Kemell - I have watched Cooley's highlights and no doubt he has talent, but their program is largely exhibition hockey against USHL and college teams. The other guys are playing a team game where points, results, consistency of effort matter vs. showboating. I have difficulty ignoring that competitive aspect. 

I'm pretty close to where you are with my rankings right now. If I'm listing my big board for a draft happening tomorrow, my top 10 would be

1. Wright

2. Savoie

3. Cooley

4. Nemec

5. Slafkovsky

6. Jiricek

7. Kemell

8. Mintyukov

9. Yurov

10. Nazar

• 3 weeks later...

THE HOCKEY NEWS  -  2022 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS

1. Shane Wright, RHC, Kingston (OHL)      Plays a complete game already and if you need points, he can go on a spree.

2. Logan Cooley, LHC, NTDP (USHL)         High-end Minnesota commit combines speed and smarts to create turnovers and burn opponents.

3. Joakim Kemell, RW, JYP (Fin.)                Wicked release and great compete level.

4. David Jiricek, RHD, Plzen (Cze.)             Put on an absolute show early on in the Czech League season, proving he could bring offense, mobility and poise.

5. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS (Fin.)              The MVP of the Olympics with Slovakia finished off his Finnish regular season strong. He's a big-time beast with great upside.

6. Simon Nemec, RHD, Nitra (Svk.)            Steady, all-around blueliner putting up numbers in Slovakian League.  Some scouts believe he's the top blueliner in the class. 

7. Conor Geekie, LHC, Winnipeg (WHL)     Scouts call him a "Big Rig" and his combination of size and skill is so tantalizing.

8. Matt Savoie, RHC, Winnipeg (WHL)       Very skilled, very quick and he has an intense battle level that makes up for his smaller frame.

9. Cutter Gauthier, LW, NTDP (USHL)        Boston College commit has proven he can play center & is great on the penalty-kill. His shot is lethal and he has great size.

10. Ryan Chesley, RHD, NTDP (USHL)     One of the top blueliners in the draft. He's an all-around defender with incredible strength, committed to the University of Minnesota.

Can't say that I agree with the order, but...........It would be nice to take the easy pick and grab Shane Wright, but I don't think that happens. Then, it's up to HUGO, as to which player they choose. I hope they get it right. There may or may not be  a center there for the taking.  Possibly, Matt Savoie? Or we go RHD. Tough to know. Hopefully HUGO makes the best choice.

With the way things are shaping up, it's looking more and more likely that we'll have a top 5 pick but not the top 1. So assume Wright goes #1. Who are your next 4 picks in order of who you'd take if you're on the clock? These are mine as it stands:

2. Cooley

3. Nemec

4. Savoie

5. Slafkovsky

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

With the way things are shaping up, it's looking more and more likely that we'll have a top 5 pick but not the top 1. So assume Wright goes #1. Who are your next 4 picks in order of who you'd take if you're on the clock? These are mine as it stands:

2. Cooley

3. Nemec

4. Savoie

5. Slafkovsky

Savoie, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec for me 

At this stage, I value the compete level, points matter to the team, playoff positioning  over the USNTDP exhibition / showboating process. Cooley will get that next year with NCAA Minnesota but I see a lot of hype at this time vs performance delivery 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

2. Cooley

3. Nemec

4. Savoie

5. Slafkovsky

Mine are 

Savoie, Slafkovsky, Jiricek, Nemec, Cooley

I like Jiricek only slightly more than Nemec, I feel like he is a RH version of Guhle.

Love Savoie. Have been higher on him than most in the past. I've knocked him down a bit because of recent reports from a number of scouts and his own coach, each saying that they see him as a winger at the NHL level. It doesn't take away from his skill level, but if there's question about his being a center or winger, it drops his value. A winger is simply not as valuable as a center of the same skill level.

25 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Mine are 

Savoie, Slafkovsky, Jiricek, Nemec, Cooley

I like Jiricek only slightly more than Nemec, I feel like he is a RH version of Guhle.

From what I've seen of Jiricek vs. Nemec:

- Jiricek is the bigger and more physical player

- Jiricek has the better shot and is viewed as the better PP point man, but Nemec can also be a PP quarterback

- Nemec is the better skater

- Nemec is the better puck mover. He gets on loose pucks faster and he moves the puck up the ice with maintained possession better

In general, I think Nemec is a more complete player and a guy who fits better in our system IMO. We have fast skilled players who score off odd-man rushes and having a guy who springboards that rush is more important than having another player like Guhle, Weber, Souray, etc. To me, Jiricek compares to a guy like Souray, whereas Nemec compares better to a player like Roman Josi or Scott Niedermayer. I'd personally choose Nemec here.

On a related note, I do also think there will be a number of interesting D men available between picks 10-32. Not sure players like Mintyukov or Mateychuk get to us near the end of the 1st, but players like Luneau, Salomonsson, or Odelius could be interesting choices between 25-32.

One other interesting point I'll bring up: there's lots of thought on social media that Jeff Gorton is from the NE United States and that he'll preferentially target US-born players. Hughes was also based there for a bit. And while both men are familiar with the US developmental system, the fact is that Gorton doesn't have any type of track record of drafting US-born players over others. If you look back at his drafting with the Rangers, he by and large drafted more players from the CHL, Sweden, and Finland than any other source and he opted for Americans a much smaller percentage of the time. We don't have a drafting record on Hughes obviously, but despite being American-based, most of his clients were Quebecers.

My guess is that we'll see them go after best player available regardless of league or country of origin. My guess is that the only exception to this is that almost league-wide we're going to see a little bit more fear of drafting Russian players, which also means the likes of Yurov, Trikozov, and Miroschnichenko could drop to late first or early second. But if I had to take my best guess, I would venture HuGo's draft board looks something like this right now:

1. Wright

2. Slafkovsky

3. Cooley

4. Kemell

5. Nemec

6. Savoie

7. Nazar

8. Lekkerimaki

9. Jiricek

10. Lambert

I wouldn't be surprised if they have Scandinavian players like Lekkerimaki, Kemell, Ohgren, Ostlund, and Odelius ranked higher than some other teams, nor would I be shocked if they use their late 1st or a 2nd rounder on a Quebecer like Luneau, Gaucher, Lamoureux, or Warren. Danny Zhilkin's another guy whose draft stock has popped up a bit as a potential early 2nd rounder who can play center or wing.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

From what I've seen of Jiricek vs. Nemec:

- Jiricek is the bigger and more physical player

- Jiricek has the better shot and is viewed as the better PP point man, but Nemec can also be a PP quarterback

- Nemec is the better skater

- Nemec is the better puck mover. He gets on loose pucks faster and he moves the puck up the ice with maintained possession better

In general, I think Nemec is a more complete player and a guy who fits better in our system IMO. We have fast skilled players who score off odd-man rushes and having a guy who springboards that rush is more important than having another player like Guhle, Weber, Souray, etc. To me, Jiricek compares to a guy like Souray, whereas Nemec compares better to a player like Roman Josi or Scott Niedermayer. I'd personally choose Nemec here.

On a related note, I do also think there will be a number of interesting D men available between picks 10-32. Not sure players like Mintyukov or Mateychuk get to us near the end of the 1st, but players like Luneau, Salomonsson, or Odelius could be interesting choices between 25-32.

I like defenseman who lean towards being better defensively and who can still put up points and especially score from the back end. Getting a ton of assists from the back end is great but it also makes the team easier to defend against in that teams don't have to respect the point shot as much. I am not saying either pick would be wrong just saying I value Jiricek slightly more.

The Hockey News ranks the top 10 as

1. Wright

2. Cooley

3. Kemell

4. Jiricek

5. Slafkovsky 

6 Nemec

7. Geekie

8. Savoie

9. Gauthier 

10 Chelsey

Not saying they are right, just that I am not the only one who sees Jiricek as the BPA between Jiricek and Nemec.

Here is the link for the updated rankings.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/2022-nhl-draft-rankings-the-wright-call

44 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

One other interesting point I'll bring up: there's lots of thought on social media that Jeff Gorton is from the NE United States and that he'll preferentially target US-born players. Hughes was also based there for a bit. And while both men are familiar with the US developmental system, the fact is that Gorton doesn't have any type of track record of drafting US-born players over others. If you look back at his drafting with the Rangers, he by and large drafted more players from the CHL, Sweden, and Finland than any other source and he opted for Americans a much smaller percentage of the time. We don't have a drafting record on Hughes obviously, but despite being American-based, most of his clients were Quebecers.

My guess is that we'll see them go after best player available regardless of league or country of origin. My guess is that the only exception to this is that almost league-wide we're going to see a little bit more fear of drafting Russian players, which also means the likes of Yurov, Trikozov, and Miroschnichenko could drop to late first or early second. But if I had to take my best guess, I would venture HuGo's draft board looks something like this right now:

1. Wright

2. Slafkovsky

3. Cooley

4. Kemell

5. Nemec

6. Savoie

7. Nazar

8. Lekkerimaki

9. Jiricek

10. Lambert

I wouldn't be surprised if they have Scandinavian players like Lekkerimaki, Kemell, Ohgren, Ostlund, and Odelius ranked higher than some other teams, nor would I be shocked if they use their late 1st or a 2nd rounder on a Quebecer like Luneau, Gaucher, Lamoureux, or Warren. Danny Zhilkin's another guy whose draft stock has popped up a bit as a potential early 2nd rounder who can play center or wing.

I wonder if we don’t land the Centre we want (Wright, Savoie, Cooley - Slafkovsky may be capable of Centre?), whether they would trade down and go after Connor Geekie, or Brad Lambert, Lekkerimaki a little off the conventional path. 
On BAP, I’ll be shocked if we pick LHD - If we pick RHD, we won’t likely see that player on the roster in 3 years so signing Letang for a 3 year term still makes sense. 

26 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

No matter where we end up it will be interesting to see how our new team views things! It would b fun to have the #1 overall pick since it has been so long and we messed up so bad last time we had #1 but I am sure we will get one heck of a player regardless as long as we are in the top 3.

Agreed

3 hours ago, claremont said:

I wonder if we don’t land the Centre we want (Wright, Savoie, Cooley - Slafkovsky may be capable of Centre?), whether they would trade down and go after Connor Geekie, or Brad Lambert, Lekkerimaki a little off the conventional path. 
On BAP, I’ll be shocked if we pick LHD - If we pick RHD, we won’t likely see that player on the roster in 3 years so signing Letang for a 3 year term still makes sense. 

Trading down to me is an option if you don't drop down a tier of player. We know from draft history that being in the top 5-10 matters. That's where you find stars. So it's one thing to drop down from 20 to 24 or 28 to 35, but it's a whole other to go from 3 to 8 or 1 to 6. Not something I would necessarily advocate for. To me right now, Wright has separated from the pack as the best choice. So if you end up with #1, you draft there. After that, I view Cooley, Savoie, Nemec, and Slafkovsky in a tier. So if you're at 2 and you trade down to 4, maybe that's not so bad. But if you're at 3 or 4 and move down to 7, that's a big drop-off in my view. I'd have Kemell, Jiricek, and Nazar in another tier. So that makes a top 8 for me right now. Going from 6 or 7 down to 10 is a big drop for me too.

All this depends on how HuGo and our scouts see things and what tiers you're in. You can drop if you don't think you're losing too much going down a pick and staying in the same tier. But at the top of the draft, you want to stay in the same tier you're in. It's hard to find those players later in the draft.

Joakim Kemell, RW, JYP (Fin.) - after Wright, this guy may be the next BPA. I know we are strong on RW, and, he will probably be gone anyway. 

Logan Cooley, LHC, NTDP (USHL) - another player that will probably be gone. Habs could take him if available,  as he would play at least one year of College Hockey. 

Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS (Fin.)  - after what he showed in the Olympics,  this guy is ready now. May also be gone when we pick, and do we really need a left winger?

Matt Savoie, RHC, Winnipeg (WHL)  -  a dynamic right shot center who may be available to us. We've lucked out with small players . Could this be another Denis Savard scenario? If Habs feel he is BPA I say we grab him.

Simon Nemec, RHD, Nitra (Svk.)  OR

David Jiricek, RHD, Plzen (Cze.)  

Either of these 2 RHD would address a position of need. I grouped them together   as we wouldn't be wrong with either choice. One of them would also be more likely available. 

Curious to know, what HUGO thinks our greatest area of need is. For sure RHD. RHC would be nice, but a big player with upside that can skate, would also be nice. Also, a question to consider, when would they want this pick available to play? I guess a lot depends on what players they can possibly move out before the draft. Right now,  we have 49 players under contract.

So realistically   if we're picking 6th (worst case scenario   in my mind) we're picking a RHD or Matt Savoie.

8 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Question.

Do we know when the draft lottery is? I assume the league won't wait until the playoffs are over before determining the lottery. Does it happen immediately after the regular season?

Speculation is May 16.

NHL Draft lottery odds 2022

Here is how the NHL lottery odds system is broken down. The rankings are determined by going backwards in the standings, so the team that finishes worst is first. Only bottom 11 Teams have a chance at the first overall pick.

TEAM FINISH CHANCE AT No. 1 PICK
No. 1  25.7%
No. 2 12.1%
No. 3 10.9%
No. 4 9.7%
No. 5 8.5%
No. 6 7.6%
No. 7 6.7%
No. 8 5.8%
No. 9 5.4%
No. 10 4.5%
No. 11 3.1%

Two changes will begin with the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery:

-- Teams will be restricted from moving up more than 10 spots, if it wins one of the lottery draws.

-- Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. Wins in the lottery prior to 2022 will not be counted toward this total.

Hopefully, when we finish 3rd from the bottom, we don't fall to the 5th pick, after the lottery.

7 hours ago, electron58 said:

NHL Draft lottery odds 2022

Here is how the NHL lottery odds system is broken down. The rankings are determined by going backwards in the standings, so the team that finishes worst is first. Only bottom 11 Teams have a chance at the first overall pick.

TEAM FINISH CHANCE AT No. 1 PICK
No. 1  25.7%
No. 2 12.1%
No. 3 10.9%
No. 4 9.7%
No. 5 8.5%
No. 6 7.6%
No. 7 6.7%
No. 8 5.8%
No. 9 5.4%
No. 10 4.5%
No. 11 3.1%

Two changes will begin with the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery:

-- Teams will be restricted from moving up more than 10 spots, if it wins one of the lottery draws.

-- Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. Wins in the lottery prior to 2022 will not be counted toward this total.

Hopefully, when we finish 3rd from the bottom, we don't fall to the 5th pick, after the lottery.

Is two spots the farthest you can fall? I remember Detroit went from #1 to #4?

On 4/13/2022 at 4:39 AM, BigTed3 said:

2. Cooley

3. Nemec

4. Savoie

5. Slafkovsky

I think until they do the lottery, we have a chance at #1.  I agree that its unlikely we finish dead last but even then a team has a better chance of picking 2nd or 3rd vs. 1st.  If we end up bottom 3 we have decent odds at #1.  Like you, i think Wright is likely going to go 1st overall. He's just too much of a 'can't miss' - players like him rarely dont become at least a quality top 6 guy.  Sure, one of the other players may end up being better but there's risk there too.

I think its a safe bet we get a top 5 pick.  After wright, I think honestly any of those guys could go anywhere in the top 6 or 7. I think teams may value a guy like Kemell or Jiricek in their top 5 and may also pick positionally vs. BPA. 

I think your list is pretty solid.  If we cant get wright, id love to add Savoie or Cooley as potential top 6 centres.   Nemec would jump to the top of our dman depth chart so he's very intriguing too.

Im very curious to see how HuGo handles this draft.   

• H_T_L changed the title to NHL 2022 Draft
  • H_T_L locked this topic