The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NHL 2022 Draft

claremont

SPORTNETS' 2022 NHL DRAFT APRIL ED.

1. Shane Wright, C, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
2. Logan Cooley, C, USNTDP
3. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS Turku (Liiga)
4. Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg Ice (WHL)

What to do? What to do? If we select Cooley,  does he go to school,  or does he turn pro? Will it affect how the Habs draft?

46 minutes ago, electron58 said:

SPORTNETS' 2022 NHL DRAFT APRIL ED.

1. Shane Wright, C, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
2. Logan Cooley, C, USNTDP
3. Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS Turku (Liiga)
4. Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg Ice (WHL)

What to do? What to do? If we select Cooley,  does he go to school,  or does he turn pro? Will it affect how the Habs draft?

He's committed to University next year and I don't see he nor the Habs changing that path if they draft him. I think the Habs give him a clear shot at becoming a top 6 center and we currently have a management and coach in place who would be attractive to skilled players. I don't see any reason he wouldn't eventually sign here, but I don't think it would be next year. And maybe that's a good thing, if we're looking at the quality in the 2023 draft. Wright or Slafkovsky, on the other hand, could likely step in right away and make your team better, meaning a worse 2023 choice. I also would not discount Nemec or Jiricek or both being called in the top 5 when all is said and done. IMO we're going to see Wright, Cooley, and Slafkovsky picked in the top 5 but not necessarily the top 3. I think at least one of Nemec or Jiricek is in the top 5 and the other top 5 pick is the other D man or Savoie. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Frank Nazar get picked ahead of where he's ranked (most mock drafts have him in the 9-12 range, but I think he'll go in the 5-9 range).

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

He's committed to University next year and I don't see he nor the Habs changing that path if they draft him. I think the Habs give him a clear shot at becoming a top 6 center and we currently have a management and coach in place who would be attractive to skilled players. I don't see any reason he wouldn't eventually sign here, but I don't think it would be next year. And maybe that's a good thing, if we're looking at the quality in the 2023 draft. Wright or Slafkovsky, on the other hand, could likely step in right away and make your team better, meaning a worse 2023 choice. I also would not discount Nemec or Jiricek or both being called in the top 5 when all is said and done. IMO we're going to see Wright, Cooley, and Slafkovsky picked in the top 5 but not necessarily the top 3. I think at least one of Nemec or Jiricek is in the top 5 and the other top 5 pick is the other D man or Savoie. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Frank Nazar get picked ahead of where he's ranked (most mock drafts have him in the 9-12 range, but I think he'll go in the 5-9 range).

What is your thought on moving the Flames pick up to the 20-22 range and selecting Howard? I am assuming of course we win the lottery and select Wright 1st OVA. I have heard Howard is a good pure goal scorer, which we need on LW.

58 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

What is your thought on moving the Flames pick up to the 20-22 range and selecting Howard? I am assuming of course we win the lottery and select Wright 1st OVA. I have heard Howard is a good pure goal scorer, which we need on LW.

Isaac Howard is another one of those USNTDP candidates that IMO are dangerous because they play a lot of exhibition games against USHL teams and NCAA teams with nothing on the line - no playoffs, points don't matter, so it's showboating for evaluation. Sure the program has produced some notables but they seem to blossom a little more after they move into the NCAA programs. Assuming we don't pick Slafkovsky as our LW and get our centre, or RHD, then I would rather select Liam Ohgren or Luca Del Bel Belluz, (both 6-1 vs Howard's 5-10 in that range. I just find the American beat writers are homers and over exaggerate the merits of the USNTDP, by placing a lot of these players into their draft rankings. Also, if all these USNTDP players are that good (you will find most draft rankings have 7-8 of them ranked in their top 32), does the effect of playing with all these surrounding good players elevate each other by permutations? What about Ohgren or Luca DB who didn't have the synergistic effect of playing with those companions?

I agree we need another pure goal scorer on the LW (Caufield seems to play his off-wing), but my strategy would be to go Centre first, RHD second or vice-versa if talking position with BPA considerations. There are a few other LW scorers who should be available at pick 34 - Possibly Jani Nyman (a stretch at pick 20-22), Jiri Kulich. Don't forget we have Joshua Roy as a LW scoring prospect from last year's draft. LW Ty Smilanic a former USNTDP player (74th overall 2020)  acquired in the Ben Chiarot trade is not noted as a pure goal scorer. 

It is interesting that Savoie in comparison to Cooley a) outpointed and outscored Cooley in their 2020-21 USHL 17 year old seasons b) is listed at 5-9 178 vs. Cooley at 510 174 - not much difference c) is only 4 months older, has suggestions that he could be better as an NHL winger yet nobody I have read says that about Cooley. Savoie will have some interesting post-season evaluation experience as the Winnipeg Ice are one of the top teams in the WHL for a Memorial Cup playoff run. Can you say leadership potential? Savoie did not make the deep Cdn Junior tournament team which will be held after the draft. I believe Cooley will play for the USA team. 

47 minutes ago, claremont said:

Isaac Howard is another one of those USNTDP candidates that IMO are dangerous because they play a lot of exhibition games against USHL teams and NCAA teams with nothing on the line - no playoffs, points don't matter, so it's showboating for evaluation. Sure the program has produced some notables but they seem to blossom a little more after they move into the NCAA programs. Assuming we don't pick Slafkovsky as our LW and get our centre, or RHD, then I would rather select Liam Ohgren or Luca Del Bel Belluz, (both 6-1 vs Howard's 5-10 in that range. I just find the American beat writers are homers and over exaggerate the merits of the USNTDP, by placing a lot of these players into their draft rankings. Also, if all these USNTDP players are that good (you will find most draft rankings have 7-8 of them ranked in their top 32), does the effect of playing with all these surrounding good players elevate each other by permutations? What about Ohgren or Luca DB who didn't have the synergistic effect of playing with those companions?

I agree we need another pure goal scorer on the LW (Caufield seems to play his off-wing), but my strategy would be to go Centre first, RHD second or vice-versa if talking position with BPA considerations. There are a few other LW scorers who should be available at pick 34 - Possibly Jani Nyman (a stretch at pick 20-22), Jiri Kulich. Don't forget we have Joshua Roy as a LW scoring prospect from last year's draft. LW Ty Smilanic a former USNTDP player (74th overall 2020)  acquired in the Ben Chiarot trade is not noted as a pure goal scorer. 

It is interesting that Savoie in comparison to Cooley a) outpointed and outscored Cooley in their 2020-21 USHL 17 year old seasons b) is listed at 5-9 178 vs. Cooley at 510 174 - not much difference c) is only 4 months older, has suggestions that he could be better as an NHL winger yet nobody I have read says that about Cooley. Savoie will have some interesting post-season evaluation experience as the Winnipeg Ice are one of the top teams in the WHL for a Memorial Cup playoff run. Can you say leadership potential? Savoie did not make the deep Cdn Junior tournament team which will be held after the draft. I believe Cooley will play for the USA team. 

The thing with Ohgren IMO is you don't see a whole lot of 30+ goal scorers come out the Swedish or Finish leagues. They are usually great middle 6 2 way players who put up 20 goals but never really hit more than 25. Of the top 50 scorering LW'ers this year only 6 are from Sweden or Finland, 15 from the States and 17 From Canada. Since our major weakness the last 2 or 3 years (maybe more) has been putting pucks in the net (aside from having 2 true top 6 centers), IMO going with the guy putting pucks in the net is the better option. Would you rather have a potential Alex DeBrincat or Victor Olofsson in your top 6 (assuming we draft a center at the top of course). 

52 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

The thing with Ohgren IMO is you don't see a whole lot of 30+ goal scorers come out the Swedish or Finish leagues. They are usually great middle 6 2 way players who put up 20 goals but never really hit more than 25. Of the top 50 scorering LW'ers this year only 6 are from Sweden or Finland, 15 from the States and 17 From Canada. Since our major weakness the last 2 or 3 years (maybe more) has been putting pucks in the net (aside from having 2 true top 6 centers), IMO going with the guy putting pucks in the net is the better option. Would you rather have a potential Alex DeBrincat or Victor Olofsson in your top 6 (assuming we draft a center at the top of course). 

That's a valid point, but then again to find some goal scoring gems in picks 20 and below is difficult. Lucas Raymond, Anton Lundell are more playmakers with supplementary scoring but drafted in top 15 and are not that elite DeBrincat / Shutt (ok I am old!) player. Most of your top goal scorers in your study probably are coming from top 15 picks - exceptions Pasternak C- Aho, Hintz, Guentzel, Jason Robertson etc. 

I looked at some of the previous players on the USNTDP program who had similar #'s to Howard - 2016-17 Josh Norris drafted #19 is your model of upside success, Brady Tkachuk was #4 overall and Grant Mishmash was a flop. 17-18 Joel Farabee (#14 overall)  and Oliver Wahlstrom (#11 overall), are 20 goalers and Jonathan Gruden is a flop. 18-19 C- Alex Turcotte still waiting, Matthew Boldy 12th overall will probably hit 30 goals in future and Trevor Zegras a C at #9 overall has exciting upside. I just don't get carried away by again IMO overblown stats from exhibition USHL and NCAA game competition from this program. This is what makes the scouting evaluation and choice difficult. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

That's a valid point, but then again to find some goal scoring gems in picks 20 and below is difficult. Lucas Raymond, Anton Lundell are more playmakers with supplementary scoring but drafted in top 15 and are not that elite DeBrincat / Shutt (ok I am old!) player. Most of your top goal scorers in your study probably are coming from top 15 picks - exceptions Pasternak C- Aho, Hintz, Guentzel, Jason Robertson etc. 

I looked at some of the previous players on the USNTDP program who had similar #'s to Howard - 2016-17 Josh Norris drafted #19 is your model of upside success, Brady Tkachuk was #4 overall and Grant Mishmash was a flop. 17-18 Joel Farabee (#14 overall)  and Oliver Wahlstrom (#11 overall), are 20 goalers and Jonathan Gruden is a flop. 18-19 C- Alex Turcotte still waiting, Matthew Boldy 12th overall will probably hit 30 goals in future and Trevor Zegras a C at #9 overall has exciting upside. I just don't get carried away by again IMO overblown stats from exhibition USHL and NCAA game competition from this program. This is what makes the scouting evaluation and choice difficult. 

No I agree that most scorers come from the top 15 although I did not take this into account. I was just trying to illustrate that most of the top scoring wingers come from the States and Canada. Adding a filter of players drafted 15th-31st yeailded some interesting results. Kempe was drafted 29th OVA and is the highest scoring Finnish or Swedish player at 3rd (only one to score 20+ goals). After that only Tovelen and Vesalainen made the top 50. There are 13 Americans (although only 3 scored 20+ goals) and 11 Canadians (0 scored 20+ goals). Of the new totals 9 players on the list have played less than 20 games. The top 5 in order are Kreider, Conner, Kempe, Miller and Burakovsky, only those 5 LW'ers have 20+ goals this season.

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I won't answer about Howard specifically because who knows where he'll be chosen and if moving from say 28 to 22 would make a difference. I've said this before but I think your scouting department has to have an idea about tiers of players... if you think moving up 3 spots or 6 spots or whatever gets you a better tier of player, maybe it's worth it. If you're not moving up a tier, then it's not worth it. The issue I think last year's draft and this year's both have is that opinions on who is more valuable are so scattered. There's very little consensus after the first few picks. So you might be able to get the guy you like most just by staying where you are in the draft. In the end, I'm not in a rush to move up into the low 20s. I don't think that moves the needle all that much, unless there's a guy who has really fallen. I'd rather keep a pick at 26-32 and another pick at 33-35 then trade those for one pick at 20 or 22. But that's just me. I think we can still get a quality player like Luneau, Odelius, Trikozov, Miroschnichenko, etc. in those spots and I don't know who'll be there at 22 who is clearly a cut above. Yeah, if a player like Nazar or Yurov or Mintyukov or Mateychuk or even Lambert falls to 22, then I'd be curious about making that move, but I think that's less likely to happen.

TANKATHON'S MOCK DRAFT PROJECTIONS - APRIL 2022

1. Arizona Coyotes: Shane Wright, C, Kingston (OHL)

2. Montreal Canadiens: Logan Cooley, C, U.S. National Team Development Program

3. Philadelphia Flyers: Juraj Slafkovsky, LW, TPS (FIN)

4. Seattle Kraken: Simon Nemec, D, HK Nitra (SVK)

5. Columbus Blue Jackets (via Chicago Blackhawks): Joakim Kemell, C, JYP (FIN)

6. New Jersey Devils: David Jiricek, D, HC Plzen (CZE)

7. Ottawa Senators: Brad Lambert, C/RW, Pelican (Liiga)

8. Buffalo Sabres: Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg (WHL)

9. Detroit Red Wings: Frank Nazar, RW, U.S. National Team Development Program

10. San Jose Sharks: Conor Geekie, C, Winnipeg (WHL)

11. Anaheim Ducks: Denton Mateychuk, D, Moose Jaw (WHL)

12. Columbus Blue Jackets: Owen Pickering, D, Swift Current (WHL)

13. Winnipeg Jets: Kevin Korchinski, D, Seattle (WHL)

14. New York Islanders: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, C/RW, Djurgardens IF J20 (SWE)

15. Vancouver Canucks: Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (KHL)

16. Buffalo Sabres (via Vegas Golden Knights): Lian Bichsel, D, Leksands IF J20 (SWI)

17. Los Angeles Kings: Pavel Mintyukov, D, Saginaw (OHL)

18. Dallas Stars: Jimmy Snuggerud, RW, U.S. National Team Development Program

19. Nashville Predators: Cutter Gauthier, LW, U.S. National Team Development Program

20. Edmonton Oilers: Liam Ohgren, LW, Djurgardens IF J20 (SWE)

21. Pittsburgh Penguins: Rutger McGroarty, C, U.S. National Team Development Program

22. Washington Capitals: Marco Kasper, C, Rogle BK J20 (SWE)

23. Anaheim Ducks (via Boston Bruins): Luca Del Bel Belluz, C/LW, Mississauga (OHL)

24. Tampa Bay Lightning: Sam Rinzel, D, Waterloo (USHL)

25. St. Louis Blues: Isaac Howard, LW, U.S. National Team Development Program

26. Minnesota Wild: Filip Mesar, C, HK Poprad (SVK)

27. New York Rangers: Owen Beck, C, Mississauga (OHL)

28. Toronto Maple Leafs: Calle Odelius, D, Djurgardens IF J20 (SWE)

29. Montreal Canadiens (via Calgary Flames): Elias Salomonsson, D, Skelleftea AIK J20 (SWE)

30. Arizona Coyotes (via Carolina Hurricanes): Seamus Casey, D, U.S. National Team Development Program

31. Buffalo Sabres (via Florida Panthers): Ivan Miroshnichenko, LW, Omskie (MHL)

32. Arizona Coyotes (via Colorado Avalanche): Alexander Perevalov, LW, Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)

Worst case scenario for us is that we pick 4th... we know Wright will be gone by 4. But it means that if you look at Cooley, Savoie, Nemec, Jiricek, and Slafkovsky, then at least 3 of those players will be there to choose between. There's a near-guarantee that a potential #1 RHD will be available to them if they want to go that route or that a potential top 6 center will be there or both.

If we look at teams in the bottom 12 with shots at passing us in the draft order, this is where I'd see each team's thinking of who to go with:

- Arizona: need everything, would go with Wright or Cooley in the top 2 I believe

- Seattle: need help everywhere but have Beniers there now. Biggest organizational need is for a 1D. If they don't get Wright, most pundits believe they'll look at Nemec or maybe Jiricek.

- Philly: needs everywhere but they tend to like big bodies. If they miss Wright, I'd think they look hard at Slafkovsky first and Jiricek next.

- NJ: strong at center already, but their centers are lighter guys. I'd have to think they'd be between Slafkovsky or Nemec here.

- Chicago: I think they'd be looking at a D man in the 2-3 spots.

- Ottawa: they have a number of strong D men in the system already. I could see them looking at Savoie here as more of a skill guy, or else Cooley. Slafkovsky not ruled out either, but I think Savoie's a guy who makes sense for them, regardless of whether he ends up being a center or winger. They have flexibility to make either happen.

- Detroit: they have a strong D pool. Past Wright, I think Cooley or Savoie could be an option here. Yzerman has also gone off the board a bit in the past, so I also wonder how he perceives Frank Nazar. It makes me wonder if he'd consider a trade-down scenario from the top 3.

- Buffalo: strong young D players already and they have some size at top 6 wing too. Biggest need is for a center. Cooley the likely play here.

- Anaheim: they have two strong young centers and two strong young D men already too. That said, I don't think the Ducks will pick for need, I think they'll go BPA. I could see them opting for Jiricek as a complement in style to Drysdale and Zellweger. I could also still see them selecting Cooley or Savoie and converting either to a winger if need be.

- San Jose: would see them deciding between Cooley and Nemec.

- Columbus: would see them targeting Nemec first.

44 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Just for clarification here, the way I understand it is IF we finish last we can only pick 1st or 3rd because the second lottery is for 2nd. If we finish 2nd we can draft 2nd, 3rd (if the 1st pick is retained) or 4th. Is this correct?

If that's the case,,,,sure doesn't make sense to me. You would think if we finish last, we get the best odds of #1 ( though not guaranteed ). If we miss out on that draw then you would assume we have the best odds of winning #2 (though not guaranteed). If we lose out on both lottery draws then we automatically would get pick #3,, as we can't drop more then 2 placings.

That's the way i thought this thing worked. I would find any other way to be totally unjust.

The odds for the first draw of the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery have been adjusted following the addition of the Seattle Kraken as the League's 32nd team this season. They are as follows:

1. 18.5 percent
2. 13.5 percent
3. 11.5 percent
4. 9.5 percent
5. 8.5 percent
6. 7.5 percent
7. 6.5 percent
8. 6.0 percent
9. 5.0 percent
10. 3.5 percent
11. 3.0 percent
12. 2.5 percent
13. 2.0 percent
14. 1.5 percent
15. 0.5 percent
16. 0.5 percent

The odds for the remaining teams will increase on a proportionate basis for the second draw, based on which team wins the first draw

So the way i interpret this is pretty much what i described above. You miss out on the first draw and your odds are adjusted for the 2nd draw. I don't see where we would be excluded from the 2nd pick, unless we were to lose BOTH draws.

27 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

The odds for the first draw of the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery have been adjusted following the addition of the Seattle Kraken as the League's 32nd team this season. They are as follows:

1. 18.5 percent
2. 13.5 percent
3. 11.5 percent
4. 9.5 percent
5. 8.5 percent
6. 7.5 percent
7. 6.5 percent
8. 6.0 percent
9. 5.0 percent
10. 3.5 percent
11. 3.0 percent
12. 2.5 percent
13. 2.0 percent
14. 1.5 percent
15. 0.5 percent
16. 0.5 percent

The odds for the remaining teams will increase on a proportionate basis for the second draw, based on which team wins the first draw

So the way i interpret this is pretty much what i described above. You miss out on the first draw and your odds are adjusted for the 2nd draw. I don't see where we would be excluded from the 2nd pick, unless we were to lose BOTH draws.

I believe you are right, after I reread it it seems like I just misunderstood lol

6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Just for clarification here, the way I understand it is IF we finish last we can only pick 1st or 3rd because the second lottery is for 2nd. If we finish 2nd we can draft 2nd, 3rd (if the 1st pick is retained) or 4th. Is this correct?

Yeah, as HTL said, it's possible to draft 2nd.

The last place team would pick 1st if it wins the lottery OR or if a team ranked 12-16 wins (that team would move up 10 spots and the last place team would still be awarded #1). This is why there's such a huge difference between last and 2nd last... you can also retain 1st overall even without winning the lottery. 2nd last team would need two teams ranked 13-16 to win the lottery to maintain their spot.

Last place team would draft 2nd if they lose the first lottery to a team ranked 2-11 AND win the 2nd lottery...or lose the first lottery AND a team ranked 13-16 wins the 2nd one.

Should we be drafting a goaltender with one of our second/third rounders this year? I don't see anyone in our system that will be a competitive option for us when we (hopefully) become competitive again in a few years.

Price
Allen
Primeau
Montembeault

I don't see any of these guys as being the goaltender of our future.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Should we be drafting a goaltender with one of our second/third rounders this year? I don't see anyone in our system that will be a competitive option for us when we (hopefully) become competitive again in a few years.

Price
Allen
Primeau
Montembeault

We could always try to sign Yaniv Perets from the NCAA

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Price
Allen
Primeau
Montembeault

Goalies are such a crapshoot. Unless someone really stood out I probably wouldnt draft one earlier than 3rd or 4th because you just never know. A guy will look like a world beater & then it doesnt translate to the NHL (and vice versa).  Plus you know there's always opportunity to sign or trade for tenders.

As an organization we've put too much emphasis on goal imho.  Build an exceptional defense and i think the quality of your tender only really needs to be above league average, not 'playoff price' mode.   

I agree with your assessments above though:  Monty is a reserve, Primeau seems to have regressed and may never achieve what we hoped, Allen is a solid backup but not much more and Price... is he done?  Does he have good year(s) left? tough to say.

We do have guys in the system like Dobes, Dichow and Vrbetic whom I really know very little about but its possible one of them is a diamond in the rough too.   

While i dont have the confidence i had in nets years ago, I am not as worried about the position as a i am about a top 6 centre and a top pairing dman (at least one of which i hope will be worked out at the draft this year).

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Price
Allen
Primeau
Montembeault

As far as the current goalie backup to Allen - I believe HuGo should choose between Monty and Primeau for a 1 year deal - both are RFA's and it does not make sense to keep 2 given they will both likely be in Laval. Primeau got shellacked when he was up here albeit mostly playing under Ducharme. The fair thing would be to likely cut him loose.

28 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Goalies are such a crapshoot. Unless someone really stood out I probably wouldnt draft one earlier than 3rd or 4th because you just never know. A guy will look like a world beater & then it doesnt translate to the NHL (and vice versa).  Plus you know there's always opportunity to sign or trade for tenders.

We do have guys in the system like Dobes, Dichow and Vrbetic whom I really know very little about but its possible one of them is a diamond in the rough too.   

While i dont have the confidence i had in nets years ago, I am not as worried about the position as a i am about a top 6 centre and a top pairing dman (at least one of which i hope will be worked out at the draft this year).

Here is a report on our Goalie Prospects - I agree with you that unless the goalie is stellar, I would probably wait until the late 3rd or 4th round as they take a longer time to usually develop into NHL calibre. Look at Spencer Knight 13th overall - 2019. Nico Daws 3rd round - 2020 is an exception, and Nashville cannot get their 2020 #11 pick Askarov out of Russian KHL or he might be the exception but those are high draft picks as is the Oilers 15th overall 2012 - Sebastian Cossa. None of the 3rd or 4th rounders last several years have amounted to much promise

https://awinninghabit.com/2021/12/13/montreal-canadiens-great-goaltending-prospects/

Dichow has some promise - young and moving to Frolunda next year who didn't do us much development favours with Norlinder on ice time. Jakub Dobes won several awards in NCAA with Ohio State - https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/jakub-dobes-is-a-freshman-with-senior-confidence/c-331896652

To answer the original question, we don't need to draft another goalie IMO until the 4th round unless he becomes the BPA. I would rather stock up on Centres, scoring wingers, RHD with the hope of finding another Joshua Roy in the 3rd round, before a goaltender 

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Should we be drafting a goaltender with one of our second/third rounders this year?

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

As an organization we've put too much emphasis on goal imho.  Build an exceptional defense and i think the quality of your tender only really needs to be above league average, not 'playoff price' mode.   

I agree with your assessments above though:  Monty is a reserve, Primeau seems to have regressed and may never achieve what we hoped, Allen is a solid backup but not much more and Price... is he done?  Does he have good year(s) left? tough to say.

Definitely not. I agree with maas_art with goalies being a crap shoot. I would never have drafted Carey Price,  as we had Jaro Halak & Cris Huet at that time, and our needs were elsewhere. All CP has done  is be great and hide all the team's flaws. Management couldn't figure out or couldn't see or just neglected the team's needs. During the CP era, we let some top rated goalies go, which we could have used if needed. Hence,  maas_art's suggestion that we can just sign one. The organization has put too much emphasis on goaltending ( see CP) Primeau was doing great in college and had nothing left to prove,  so Habs signed him. Too soon? Who knows. Until they actually get here & perform, they are just prospects. Just like the ones maas_art listed. Definitely build a good defence. Vegas proved that in their rookie season.  Their D was strong! Mostly 2nd, 3rd & 4rth tier defensemen.  Sure, goaltending was good with Fleury,  but their backups looked good too. So I  guess, we can say, that if you can't score any goals, it doesn't matter how good your goaltending is. You should really only have to count on your goalie to steal one or two games. 

On 4/15/2022 at 12:41 PM, BigTed3 said:

Salomonsson is a guy I've talked about before too. Having an off year but has the talent to be good. And I like Luneau as a late 1st rounder as well. The other D man who is a possible late-1st hidden gem is Calle Odelius. I'd be pleased with any of those three, and as I posted earlier this week, Gorton has a track record of going to the CHL and Sweden/Finland for picks, so all three could be in his wheelhouse.

For forwards, Gleb Trikozov is a dark horse for me. COuld go as high as 12-15 or could slip out of the 1st with the worry about Russian players. But he has immense puck skill and is young for his draft year, so has lots of room to grow. Gaucher for me is a safe pick but one with less upside. I'd rather see the team swing for bigger talent. Miroschnichenko could be available in the 25-35 range with all his issues. Danny Zhilkin is another guy I like for the 2nd round. There will be the chance to come away with 4 NHL-quality players out of this draft for us.

I kind of passed over Trikozov - I guess the question becomes at what pick do you roll the dice for a higher ceiling player which is where Trikozov might land. Arizona has 3 firsts, 4 seconds, so they can be certainly a gambler. Similarly Buffalo has 3 firsts, 1 second. Columbus, 2 firsts, 1 2nd, and the Ducks 2 firsts, 2 seconds so I see those teams as the competitors with ours (2 firsts, 2 seconds). The other teams with single picks, unless you feel they are loaded with talent and can afford to wait, I suggest will go for safer more immediate picks. With Arizona and Buffalo picking right after us at pick 30-32, I would say pick #29 becomes our high ceiling pick and pick #33 becomes the safer pick. 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

I kind of passed over Trikozov - I guess the question becomes at what pick do you roll the dice for a higher ceiling player which is where Trikozov might land. Arizona has 3 firsts, 4 seconds, so they can be certainly a gambler. Similarly Buffalo has 3 firsts, 1 second. Columbus, 2 firsts, 1 2nd, and the Ducks 2 firsts, 2 seconds so I see those teams as the competitors with ours (2 firsts, 2 seconds). The other teams with single picks, unless you feel they are loaded with talent and can afford to wait, I suggest will go for safer more immediate picks. With Arizona and Buffalo picking right after us at pick 30-32, I would say pick #29 becomes our high ceiling pick and pick #33 becomes the safer pick. 

I guess, if you're willing to wait on a Cooley for a year or 2, and depending on what you are going to do with a rebuild/reset, maybe determines your stance on selecting a high end Russian or not. It's a huge gamble- huge reward type of dilemma.  So, if where you're picking,  you don't expect that player to really have an impact for your organization for 2-3 years, then take the Russian. We're 2-3 years away anyway. 

• H_T_L changed the title to NHL 2022 Draft
  • H_T_L locked this topic