The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Former & Retired Habs

kinot-2

13 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

He hit him right in the shoulder? It's unfortunate for JK but that was a clean hit. The NHL is getting to soft. He gluided into him it wasn't even charging

Yup, the Canes understandably didn't like the hit because of its result and the fact that only a few seconds were left on the clock in a lopsided game, but I don't see how this can be called charging. I also think it's a clean hit, JK seems to have trouble putting weight on his left leg as a result, so it looks like an unfortunate incident for sure. These two teams grew to dislike each other over the years, so Eller finishing his check shouldn't be all that surprising.

I think at most it's a two-minute penalty. I'm not sure how the rules work with a blind-side hit making no contact with the head. I thought it was considered a charging penalty, but maybe I'm wrong. Unfortunate result, and I get why the 'Canes were peeved, but... I don't think anything more than a two-minute penalty is warranted.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

So I watched this clip with a laggy internet connection and although I do not know what was called, I don't think there should have been a penalty.  It wasn't the hit that hurt KK. It was when they all fell to the ice, and Eller fell awkwardly on top of KK. You can see where KK's leg gets fallen on. This  is where/when/how he got hurt. The initial contact wasn't dirty. The injury, happened collaterally after.  imho.

6 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Overreaction!

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Definitely, but for what it's worth, it was a knee on knee hit although more than likely unintentional. I've seen players go ape-shit over less. Sometimes just words have set someone off.

Maybe.  But it was the Devil's franchise player and there was no effort to hit Hughes with the body. Knee on knee are career enders.  He could have easily avoided that type of hit. If that happened to Suzuki, we're just like going to say, oh well, couldn't be avoided. The problem is, that this hit could have and should have been avoided. PK did what he had to do.

21 minutes ago, electron58 said:

The problem is, that this hit could have and should have been avoided. PK did what he had to do.

I’ve seen worse hits .  In fact PK has slew footed a bunch of guys this year  . 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

I’ve seen worse hits .  In fact PK has slew footed a bunch of guys this year  . 

Agreed. I'm not saying PK is the cleanest player. And the hit may have not been intentional, but it was an avoidable leg on leg hit. Almost a lazy hit.

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yep he is no angel right now but the fact is the hit was not that bad really it just ended up with the Jersey player getting hurt so there is an over reaction by PK.

I've watched it a few times and the hit wasn't that bad. It ended up knee on knee (actually looked knee on thigh) but he didn't stick it , and it wasn't a violent hit. Yes Hughes is a star player and we wouldn't want that same hit on Suzuki ect. . That said all [players can be hit and it definitely didn't appear to be intentional. It also looked like Hughes was starting to move away from the hit (which is natural) and that may have contributed to the angle. I know it has been this way for a time but I also think if a hit is clean there has been an over reaction across the league from players. A solid hit shouldn't have to retaliated against. A dirty hit , a slew foot or a knee on knee when sticking the leg out ect. yes take action .

59 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

And had this been say Suzuki/Caufield that was an identical hit and one of our players acted exactly like Subban we'd be praising him for standing up for a team mate

I don't know that all of us would react that way. Yes, some of us may very well react the way you describe if that was a hit on Suzuki/Caulfield, but I don't necessarily think I would. It sort of just seems like an unfortunate hit and an unfortunate injury.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't know that all of us would react that way. Yes, some of us may very well react the way you describe if that was a hit on Suzuki/Caulfield, but I don't necessarily think I would. It sort of just seems like an unfortunate hit and an unfortunate injury.

Yep and a couple of young players too! Too bad for Hughes and even if PK would have shoved the guy around a bit it would have been ok but what he did was over the top no need to take it that far as it did not look to be intentional.

I Listen to mike Johnston and he makes a valid point - in this play and the Hughes play it’s not like the player stuck their leg out to hit the guy .   Hughes snd stutzle try to avoid getting hit , which is their right , but all they are  doing is getting their body out of the way of the hit . Their lower body ( leg ) still remains vulnerable .  Maybe it’s better that they just take the hit . End of story 

now Hughes is done for the season 

On 4/6/2022 at 12:35 PM, Regis22 said:

I Listen to mike Johnston and he makes a valid point - in this play and the Hughes play it’s not like the player stuck their leg out to hit the guy .   Hughes snd stutzle try to avoid getting hit , which is their right , but all they are  doing is getting their body out of the way of the hit . Their lower body ( leg ) still remains vulnerable .  Maybe it’s better that they just take the hit . End of story 

now Hughes is done for the season 

Sure, which is why I would say neither player making the hit appeared to have intent to throw a knee on knee. But from the perspective of the guy taking the hit, your natural reaction if someone's coming at you it to try to sidestep it. You don't just stand in front of a guy skating at you. If that's your instinct, you're probably not fast enough to play in the NHL.