The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Former & Retired Habs

kinot-2

11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Sure, which is why I would say neither player making the hit appeared to have intent to throw a knee on knee. But from the perspective of the guy taking the hit, your natural reaction if someone's coming at you it to try to sidestep it. You don't just stand in front of a guy skating at you. If that's your instinct, you're probably not fast enough to play in the NHL.

Or you're Radek Bonk & you have the luxury of 2 cubic tons of beard in front of you to lessen the impact. 

11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Sure, which is why I would say neither player making the hit appeared to have intent to throw a knee on knee. But from the perspective of the guy taking the hit, your natural reaction if someone's coming at you it to try to sidestep it. You don't just stand in front of a guy skating at you. If that's your instinct, you're probably not fast enough to play in the NHL.

Or the smarter move is to brace yourself for the hit. A lot less likely to get hurt. The same if you're in the NHL you should of learned how to take a hit by now. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Damn this guy got 27 goals. Wow . 

I hesitate to mention it, but Phillip Danault, who was driven out of town by Bergevin’s ego, has a career-high 27 goals and is plus-14 with the Los Angeles Kings.

phickey@postmedia.com

Wow, didn't really follow Danault all that much this year but that's pretty impressive. Didn't expect him to be able to score close to 30 in the NHL, good for him!

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Wow, didn't really follow Danault all that much this year but that's pretty impressive. Didn't expect him to be able to score close to 30 in the NHL, good for him!

I always thought he had the ability. He was a first round draft choice. He really never got much of a chance on the PP here. Take a look aty most of the top scorers , then take away PP goals.

9 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I always thought he had the ability. He was a first round draft choice. He really never got much of a chance on the PP here. Take a look aty most of the top scorers , then take away PP goals.

True, but he scored 25 of those 27 goals at even strength, which is even more impressive. I didn't think he had it in him but it looks like he was right when he said he didn't want to be limited to a pure shutdown role.

I remember the bid uproar when Montreal waived him

https://awinninghabit.com/2022/05/01/montreal-canadiens-former-defenceman-victor-mete-not-receiving-qualifying-offer/

Montreal Canadiens Former Defenceman Victor Mete Not Receiving a Qualifying Offer

The Montreal Canadiens made a few moves in the lead up to the 2021 NHL trade deadline, but the most surprising was probably letting Victor Mete leave for nothing.

The young, skilled and smooth skating defender had wowed Habs fans with dazzling speed, but was never really able to put the pieces together and develop into an everyday NHL defender.

It seemed like a waste of a 22 year old defender who could skate like the wind. Sure, he wasn’t developing as quickly as you would have wanted, but to let him go for nothing didn’t seem like the best asset management.

However, Mete hasn’t really taken off since arriving in Ottawa where he would have a bigger opportunity. He closed out last season by scoring just two points in 14 games with the Senators, and continued to be in and out of the lineup this season, putting up seven points in 37 games.

It seems like it wasn’t enough for the Senators to want to keep the 23 year old around. It was reported today that Mete will not be receiving a qualifying offer from the Senators and will become an unrestricted free agent in July.

That’s not a very common occurrence for a player who made the NHL as a 19 year old. But, it does show Marc Bergevin was right to put him on waivers in the first place.

26 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I remember the bid uproar when Montreal waived him

https://awinninghabit.com/2022/05/01/montreal-canadiens-former-defenceman-victor-mete-not-receiving-qualifying-offer/

Montreal Canadiens Former Defenceman Victor Mete Not Receiving a Qualifying Offer

Isnt that always the way? The sky is falling the sky is falling!  :4224:

It wasnt that long ago that people thought we were "set" on the blueline when Weber & Petry retired because we'd have

Mete- Brook
Juulsen/Fleury

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

It wasnt that long ago that people thought we were "set" on the blueline when Weber & Petry retired because we'd have

Mete- Brook
Juulsen/Fleury

:lol: We sure did. It's tough making that last jump.

On 5/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, maas_art said:

Mete- Brook
Juulsen/Fleury

... which is why I also think we need to be patient before proclaiming we'll be fine with the likes of Barron, Guhle, Norlinder, Struble, etc. The only young guy whose set to be a rookie next year who has really impressed me to the point I'm confident he'll play 8+ years in the NHL if he remains healthy is Harris. He's got the tools and the poise to be there. The others are all works in progress.

32 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Was curious to see how KK was doing so far in the playoffs.

Averaging about 12 minutes a game with no points and an average of 1 shot a game

Yeah I think he is being used as the 4C right now. I can't believe how much he has dropped off since leaving Montreal. He was a pretty good 2/3C for us and is now barely a fringe NHL'er

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah I think he is being used as the 4C right now. I can't believe how much he has dropped off since leaving Montreal. He was a pretty good 2/3C for us and is now barely a fringe NHL'er

Yeah, he really doesn't seem to have taken any steps forward in his development this season. He could still turn into great value for Carolina on that contract, as he's only 21 years old. I mean... most forwards are probably only breaking into the NHL at that age.

However, I don't seem him leap-frogging Aho, Staal, and Trocheck on that center depth chart.

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, he really doesn't seem to have taken any steps forward in his development this season. He could still turn into great value for Carolina on that contract, as he's only 21 years old. I mean... most forwards are probably only breaking into the NHL at that age.

However, I don't seem him leap-frogging Aho, Staal, and Trocheck on that center depth chart.

Well Trocheck is a UFA after this season. Staal is going to be 34 at the start of next season and is better-suited to being a 3C. There's an opening there for a 2C next year, and Carolina has already indicated they're committed to Kotkaniemi long-term with that contract. It likely comes down to whether they go with Necas in the 2C role or play Necas at wing and promote JK. Ultimately, I think this season was always going to be a difficult one for Kotkaniemi with his spot on the depth chart, and that's something I wrote about here before the year started. Next year, IMO, is a significantly more important year for him to move up the line-up and break through.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Well Trocheck is a UFA after this season. Staal is going to be 34 at the start of next season and is better-suited to being a 3C. There's an opening there for a 2C next year, and Carolina has already indicated they're committed to Kotkaniemi long-term with that contract. It likely comes down to whether they go with Necas in the 2C role or play Necas at wing and promote JK. Ultimately, I think this season was always going to be a difficult one for Kotkaniemi with his spot on the depth chart, and that's something I wrote about here before the year started. Next year, IMO, is a significantly more important year for him to move up the line-up and break through.

Oh, didn't realize Trocheck was going to be a UFA at end of season. I guess that increases KK's shot at promotion significantly. You're probably right... we'll see something like Aho, Kotkaniemi, Staal in the top three center roles.

35 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

23 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Agree on all points. I also think that what Carolina is doing is what we always preach we should be doing: letting a player develop at his own pace.  

Its entirely possible Kotkaniemi flames out & ends up a 3rd/4th line centre but it wont be from poor prospect development on Carolina's side at least. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agree on all points. I also think that what Carolina is doing is what we always preach we should be doing: letting a player develop at his own pace.  

Its entirely possible Kotkaniemi flames out & ends up a 3rd/4th line centre but it wont be from poor prospect development on Carolina's side at least. 

I actually agree about not rushing the development. That said if he was still here in Montreal and was being used as a forth line center 'most" would be saying that Montreal is ruining his development!. It's so contrary when another team has players stay down the line up and are sheltered and that team is doing it great, but if we hold a young player back don't give them top line minutes and put on PP or even with the other players they need to be with,  just because of draft position , then we're doing it all wrong! 

2 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I actually agree about not rushing the development. That said if he was still here in Montreal and was being used as a forth line center 'most" would be saying that Montreal is ruining his development!. It's so contrary when another team has players stay down the line up and are sheltered and that team is doing it great, but if we hold a young player back don't give them top line minutes and put on PP or even with the other players they need to be with,  just because of draft position , then we're doing it all wrong! 

I think part of the problem has been our lack of coaching and our lack of winger talent.  If you had JK as our 4th line centre with guys like Ylonen and Poehling as his wingers im not sure as many (there would always be a few) would think his development would be hurt but when you play an offensive centre with pylons like Weiss or Cousins i can see the criticism.  In Carolina he has the luxury of playing 4th line minutes with Domi and Stepan - both of whom may be past their prime but both are still skilled players...