The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Former & Retired Habs

kinot-2

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

PIERRE GERVAIS REVEALS THE LIST OF THE MOST HATED PLAYERS HE WORKED WITH IN MONTREAL AND THERE IS A SURPRISE

https://www.habsfanatics.com/Pierre-Gervais-reveals-the-list-of-the-most-hated-players-he-worked-with-in-Montreal-and-there-is-a-surprise-178545

It sounds like Gervais didn't like guys who were arrogant, and he placed Cammalleri and Pacioretty in that category. I obviously haven't read the book, but there are other guys I wouldn't be surprised to see in that category either and then guys you would expect to be well-liked. Like Suzuki, Caufield, Weber, Price, etc. just seem like they're down-to-earth players who act with a certain amount of humility. I didn't see anything about Subban here either, and that also doesn't surprise me, because PK was pretty generous with helping and lauding others, despite loving attention himself. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Gallagher was a bit arrogant too and that maybe Gervais chose not to say anything about guys still on the team. Therrien and Bergevin were two of the most arrogant guys one could imagine publicly, and I'd be surprised if they were any different behind closed doors (they certainly weren't on CH24).

The other thing Gervais stated in this book was that Ducharme had zero respect from his players, which is also not really that surprising. The media asked Suzuki and Gallagher about the stuff in the book and both guys just kind of shrugged it off as opinion, but didn't really deny that Gervais would have reason to think any of what he said... Gervais wants his book to make ruffles to sell, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but I'm sure he has some ideas of what was what in the room, just like Stephane Waite has been dishing dirt on people since he was fired.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Gervais wants his book to make ruffles to sell, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but I'm sure he has some ideas of what was what in the room, just like Stephane Waite has been dishing dirt on people since he was fired.

For sure, who's going to buy a book about how much the players respected Ducharme and Bergevin: we want the dirty laundry and juicy gossip :4224:

21 hours ago, Regis22 said:

" He was a very self-centered guy. " That's what I 've always been saying. I remember when Briere signed with the Canadiens,  and the other team had the empty net. Briere & Pacioretty were going down on a 2 on 1. Instead of making the easy pass to a wide open Briere, Pacioretty did the selfish thing and shot through the defender , for an empty net goal, in Montreal.  Imagine if he passed it to Briere,  and Briere scored, in Montreal? It would have been awesome.  As it was,   it left a bad taste,  and ruined my opinion of him. Isn't it ironic? Nick Suzuki is the complete opposite.  So glad we got Slick Nick. Been following NS ever since the trade. Probably the best move from the previous regime, & it was an accident!!! Still,  can't say it made up for all their blunders.

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

It sounds like Gervais didn't like guys who were arrogant, and he placed Cammalleri and Pacioretty in that category. I obviously haven't read the book, but there are other guys I wouldn't be surprised to see in that category either and then guys you would expect to be well-liked. Like Suzuki, Caufield, Weber, Price, etc. just seem like they're down-to-earth players who act with a certain amount of humility. I didn't see anything about Subban here either, and that also doesn't surprise me, because PK was pretty generous with helping and lauding others, despite loving attention himself. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Gallagher was a bit arrogant too and that maybe Gervais chose not to say anything about guys still on the team. Therrien and Bergevin were two of the most arrogant guys one could imagine publicly, and I'd be surprised if they were any different behind closed doors (they certainly weren't on CH24).

The other thing Gervais stated in this book was that Ducharme had zero respect from his players, which is also not really that surprising. The media asked Suzuki and Gallagher about the stuff in the book and both guys just kind of shrugged it off as opinion, but didn't really deny that Gervais would have reason to think any of what he said... Gervais wants his book to make ruffles to sell, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but I'm sure he has some ideas of what was what in the room, just like Stephane Waite has been dishing dirt on people since he was fired.

I like to use the word ignorant, as the aforementioned,  were not smart enough to be arrogant. Just my 2 cents.

23 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Not sure why we would just throw Gallagher into this ridiculous story. Got a card from him not long ago. Just saying unless they are in the story, let's not guess. Or better yet stop responding to this all together. 

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations to Cristobal Huet on being named to the IIHF World Hall of Fame! Habs fans have been so fortunate with our goaltenders - we've always seemed to have a tender standing on his head and stealing games. From Dryden, Penney, Roy, Hackett, Huet, Theodore - right up to Price and Allen. It is one of the things that I'm most looking forward to in the direction we are heading - namely - our goaltender not having to be our best player on the ice in order for a chance to win. Again - congratulations to the "cousin", he gave us a couple of really good seasons.

IIHF - IIHF honours international mix for Hall of Fame ʼ23

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

On the upside of things, Capitals' Charlie Lindgren is named NHL player of the week after going 4-0-0 with a 1.50 GAA and .949 SV%.

That must feel good for him. I'm skeptical he could ever become a season long starter in the NHL, but successes over short periods are worth celebrating as well.

• 2 weeks later...

A great article, and an even better podcast (embedded in the article) where Subban talks about his time with the Canadiens.  Particularly, he talks pretty frankly about what it was like to come in as a confident, outspoken young player into a very conservative hockey world (and onto an even more conservative team). 

If you've only got a few minutes, although the whole interview is great, the most relevant part to his time as a Hab vis-à-vis Therrien and Bergevin starts around 51:10 and goes for the next ten minutes or so.

P.K. Subban on Canadiens exit: 'I didn't want to play anywhere else' (msn.com)

I know it's probably mostly nostalgia, but I still think about what might have been had we had a management team back then that cared as much about on-ice results as they did about players' attitudes.  Whatever your opinions on PK, though, I think it's still worth a listen.

(Although for what it's worth, I can't understand how someone could watch this and still say anything bad about his character.  He takes the high road at every possible opportunity, giving people the benefit of the doubt in places where I definitely would not)

11 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

A great article, and an even better podcast (embedded in the article) where Subban talks about his time with the Canadiens.  Particularly, he talks pretty frankly about what it was like to come in as a confident, outspoken young player into a very conservative hockey world (and onto an even more conservative team). 

If you've only got a few minutes, although the whole interview is great, the most relevant part to his time as a Hab vis-à-vis Therrien and Bergevin starts around 51:10 and goes for the next ten minutes or so.

P.K. Subban on Canadiens exit: 'I didn't want to play anywhere else' (msn.com)

I know it's probably mostly nostalgia, but I still think about what might have been had we had a management team back then that cared as much about on-ice results as they did about players' attitudes.  Whatever your opinions on PK, though, I think it's still worth a listen.

(Although for what it's worth, I can't understand how someone could watch this and still say anything bad about his character.  He takes the high road at every possible opportunity, giving people the benefit of the doubt in places where I definitely would not)

I have watched the whole interview before this post. All this did was confirm to me that he was and is all about PK. he couldn't accept being glad to be in the NHL and playing for an original 6 team. He wanted his own brand wasn't satisfied just being a Montreal Canadien. When he talks, he would have signed for less? He still could of. 

The last thing we need is for the NHL to turn into anything like the NBA where the players are bigger than the teams they play for. 

11 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I have watched the whole interview before this post. All this did was confirm to me that he was and is all about PK. he couldn't accept being glad to be in the NHL and playing for an original 6 team. He wanted his own brand wasn't satisfied just being a Montreal Canadien. When he talks, he would have signed for less? He still could of. 

The last thing we need is for the NHL to turn into anything like the NBA where the players are bigger than the teams they play for. 

But why does he have to "accept being glad to be in the NHL"? The NHL is profiting off players like him having talent as much as he's profiting off the NHL's spotlight. It's a mutually-beneficial relationship. Look at these leagues when they go through lockouts or strikes and start talking about replacement or minor league players. The games are crap. I don't have much interest in following ECHL teams or NAHL or so on. I want to see best on best. I want to see players do things that other people can't do. Watching Connor Bedard at the WJ's was exciting. Watching Connor McDavid and Trevor Zegras and Mario Lemieux and Guy Lafleur is exciting. Watching Ryan Reaves and George Parros and Dwight King and Doug Murray is not. To be honest, PK Subban might be a bit much for me in real life, but as a hockey player I love the personality and I love that he created a brand and stirred up emotion and a reason to watch games, whether you love him or hate him. And as Manatee said, I think he's got a good heart off the ice too. I personally don't feel like PK had to accept fitting into a common stereotype, I think asking players to do that is part of the problem. I'd much rather see some personality and see a Jon Cooper speak than to hear players like Gallagher or Weber say the same thing 500 times over about how players have to play hard and give 110%.

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

But why does he have to "accept being glad to be in the NHL"? The NHL is profiting off players like him having talent as much as he's profiting off the NHL's spotlight. It's a mutually-beneficial relationship. Look at these leagues when they go through lockouts or strikes and start talking about replacement or minor league players. The games are crap. I don't have much interest in following ECHL teams or NAHL or so on. I want to see best on best. I want to see players do things that other people can't do. Watching Connor Bedard at the WJ's was exciting. Watching Connor McDavid and Trevor Zegras and Mario Lemieux and Guy Lafleur is exciting. Watching Ryan Reaves and George Parros and Dwight King and Doug Murray is not. To be honest, PK Subban might be a bit much for me in real life, but as a hockey player I love the personality and I love that he created a brand and stirred up emotion and a reason to watch games, whether you love him or hate him. And as Manatee said, I think he's got a good heart off the ice too. I personally don't feel like PK had to accept fitting into a common stereotype, I think asking players to do that is part of the problem. I'd much rather see some personality and see a Jon Cooper speak than to hear players like Gallagher or Weber say the same thing 500 times over about how players have to play hard and give 110%.

You couldn't be more right.

& Haters will hate. Can't change that.

22 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I guess I don't understand what you mean when you say it was all about PK, and that he couldn't accept being part of a team.  Listening to him talk there about how much he loved the Habs growing up, and about how his only hockey dream was to play for them, it certainly didn't sound like he was only in it for himself.  You can be an individual and still, as an individual, care about your team and teammates.  This wasn't a Kevin Durant situation - I've never seen anything to indicate that PK was anything other than fiercely devoted to the Habs organization and to winning within the Habs organization.

So yes, PK was flamboyant and he had wanted to be recognized as an individual in addition to being a Montreal Canadien.  I guess my question to those who feel that that is a problem would be: what, in practical terms, was the actual problem with that?  Was it causing his play on the ice to suffer in any way (well he won a Norris so....)?  Was it causing his teammates' play on the ice to suffer in any way?  It certainly wasn't hurting the team's popularity - love him or hate him, I'm willing to bet Subban was bringing a lot interest (and dollars) to the franchise.  So I'd ask again, what were the negative consequences, in practice, beyond some people's feelings that it wasn't the "right" way to behave?

(Side note: On the subject of the "right' way to behave, listen to him talk about about how his most successful year hockey-wise was also his worst year personally, because of all of the abuse that he had to deal with from the coaching staff and management.  Treating someone that way, belittling them and making them feel terrible just because their world view/attitude is different from yours, definitely isn't something that I was raised to believe was "right")