The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2022 Free Agency

A lot of very big names could go UFA this year. I assume some will be signed before the 13th but its not ever year you see 3 guys over 80 points and 7 or 8 over 60 points going ufa.  Malkin, Forsberg, Gaudreau, Kessel, Bergeron, Giroux, Letang, etc... those are some huge names. 

Personally i hope we stay away from most. As tempting as it is to add a high profile guy, you're mostly paying for those first 2-4 years and we're not going to be doing much in that time... could see us adding some depth pieces, especially if we ship out vets at the draft. 

A few rumors hitting the mill today:

- Lebrun saying that the Oilers will have interest in Claude Giroux if they can't get Evander Kane signed. He adds Ottawa may have interest in bringing him there as a local boy too but that their being far away from a Cup may be an impediment to that.

- Kypreos saying Kadri is looking for a deal in the 8-10M range and that he sees Boston, Seattle, and Arizona as being maybe the only teams with a need who can/would accommodate that.

- Lebrun also stating that Ilya Mikheyec's agent is looking for a deal between 4.75 and 5.5M AAV for his client. Ouch. For a 20-goal 3rd line winger. He adds that the Leafs will look at MAF and that Fleury had actually agreed to waive his NTC to go to Toronto before a trade fell through last deadline and he went to Minnesota instead.

- Some rumblings that Edmonton could be a landing spot for Jack Campbell as well.

Not much talk about Montreal but given our cap constraints and lack of competitiveness this year, I think this outlines that we won't be big players in the free agent market.

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

- Kypreos saying Kadri is looking for a deal in the 8-10M range and that he sees Boston, Seattle, and Arizona as being maybe the only teams with a need who can/would accommodate that.

LoL … Ok , I get players want to be paid as much as they can but seriously , you just won a Cup , you’re an UFA, why would you even listen to offers from Seattle snd Arizona . You will most probably never make the playoffs again …LOL

Just now, Regis22 said:

LoL … Ok , I get players want to be paid as much as they can but seriously , you just won a Cup , you’re an UFA, why would you even listen to offers from Seattle snd Arizona . You will most probably never make the playoffs again …LOL

I mean I wouldn't want to play there. But there are players who will say to themselves, I can get 10M x 7 years to play in Seattle or I can get 7M for 5 years to play in Colorado next year or to play in Minnesota or Washington and they'll say to themselves, let me take double the money. Contracts in the NHL are near-guaranteed money, not like the NFL. And money talks.

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

A few rumors hitting the mill today:

- Lebrun saying that the Oilers will have interest in Claude Giroux if they can't get Evander Kane signed. He adds Ottawa may have interest in bringing him there as a local boy too but that their being far away from a Cup may be an impediment to that.

- Lebrun also stating that Ilya Mikheyec's agent is looking for a deal between 4.75 and 5.5M AAV for his client. Ouch. For a 20-goal 3rd line winger. He adds that the Leafs will look at MAF and that Fleury had actually agreed to waive his NTC to go to Toronto before a trade fell through last deadline and he went to Minnesota instead.

- Some rumblings that Edmonton could be a landing spot for Jack Campbell as well.

Not much talk about Montreal but given our cap constraints and lack of competitiveness this year, I think this outlines that we won't be big players in the free agent market.

And we shouldn't, so I'm just happy we're not in the running for any of those guys. I'm not expecting us to be very active either, maybe another move to clear cap space. It'll take a while to turn this around after Bergevin's mismanagement of the cap and misjudgment of the roster, it's not the time to go after pricey UFAs I believe. I'd love to unload Hoffman's contract but it's not a huge priority at this point. And who knows, maybe his production jumps again and we'll actually get something of value for him at the deadline when there's just 1 more season left on his deal.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I mean I wouldn't want to play there. But there are players who will say to themselves, I can get 10M x 7 years to play in Seattle or I can get 7M for 5 years to play in Colorado next year or to play in Minnesota or Washington and they'll say to themselves, let me take double the money. Contracts in the NHL are near-guaranteed money, not like the NFL. And money talks.

I agree and he has won his cup you never know he may be more into the money now?

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

And we shouldn't, so I'm just happy we're not in the running for any of those guys. I'm not expecting us to be very active either, maybe another move to clear cap space. It'll take a while to turn this around after Bergevin's mismanagement of the cap and misjudgment of the roster, it's not the time to go after pricey UFAs I believe. I'd love to unload Hoffman's contract but it's not a huge priority at this point. And who knows, maybe his production jumps again and we'll actually get something of value for him at the deadline when there's just 1 more season left on his deal.

100% we are in rebuild mode for sure you will need some key players just to ensure some continuity and to mentor the kids but with some of the bad contracts we have now this is not the time. One thing I am watching is Romanov I hope he gets out of Russia ok if he gets snagged for military service that would leave a hole in our D! as he played more and more minutes last year.

15 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I suppose it's because he just won a Cup that he maybe doesn't feel the need to go to an immediate competitor. He's 31 with his last big chance to cash in. He's going to be looking for a massive contract and those can only be accommodated by a select number of teams.

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Senators have placed Colin White on waivers for purposes of a buyout. Montreal has been linked with White, no?

Maybe in the past but highly unlikely now. Guys a walking injury looking for a place to happen.

10 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Senators have placed Colin White on waivers for purposes of a buyout. Montreal has been linked with White, no?

4 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Maybe in the past but highly unlikely now. Guys a walking injury looking for a place to happen.

yeah, former Hughes client I think?   Nice skills, young-ish but just always hurt.  I would rather keep Dvorak and Evans tbh even though i like the player it just doesnt make sense for us i think. 

That said, if he came cheap & we DID draft wright & traded say, Dvorak, White wouldnt be a horrible insurance policy on a short term deal.   Suzuki - Wright - Evans - Poehling/White... not too shabby.  But i dont think its a move we're likely to see. 

16 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

yeah, former Hughes client I think?   Nice skills, young-ish but just always hurt.  I would rather keep Dvorak and Evans tbh even though i like the player it just doesnt make sense for us i think. 

That said, if he came cheap & we DID draft wright & traded say, Dvorak, White wouldnt be a horrible insurance policy on a short term deal.   Suzuki - Wright - Evans - Poehling/White... not too shabby.  But i dont think its a move we're likely to see. 

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Habs sign him. Hughes knows him and seems to like him and there were rumors last year the Habs tried to trade for him at the deadline. If they looked at him then with 3 years left on a 4M+ contract, they'll be interested in knowing if they can sign him for less money and/or term. He's fallen off the curve a bit but if he can stay healthy, the skill is there and most of his issues the past little while have been poor finishing, which is correctable. I do think Boston might take a run at him too though, and I'm sure other teams will inquire. But for us, if we can sign him, draft Wright or Cooley, and don't mind an off-year, I'd absolutely make that signing for free and try to trade Dvorak for assets. White + trade return on Dvorak > Dvorak alone for me.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Habs sign him. Hughes knows him and seems to like him and there were rumors last year the Habs tried to trade for him at the deadline. If they looked at him then with 3 years left on a 4M+ contract, they'll be interested in knowing if they can sign him for less money and/or term. He's fallen off the curve a bit but if he can stay healthy, the skill is there and most of his issues the past little while have been poor finishing, which is correctable. I do think Boston might take a run at him too though, and I'm sure other teams will inquire. But for us, if we can sign him, draft Wright or Cooley, and don't mind an off-year, I'd absolutely make that signing for free and try to trade Dvorak for assets. White + trade return on Dvorak > Dvorak alone for me.

I agree with this. Will come in on a cheap deal, and I 'm sure he would trust KH to do the right thing. Definitely opens up additional opportunities for KH & the Habs.

18 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I agree with this. Will come in on a cheap deal, and I 'm sure he would trust KH to do the right thing. Definitely opens up additional opportunities for KH & the Habs.

I do actually think he'll have a few other teams after him, so it's by no means a given we'll be able to sign him. But he's a decent 3C with some amount of offensive upside and probably a bit of an upgrade on Jake Evans. To me, Evans could easily be a strong 4C and Poehling a winger. So White for two years at 2.5M AAV would be a reasonable signing.

Among the players to hit free agency because they weren't tendered QOs... Ilya Samsonov, who we looked into last year. Sam Steel, Sonny Milano, and Brendan Guhle from the Ducks also not qualified, and Brendan Lemieux from LA, among others. Strongly suggests Kuemper will sign in Washington.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Among the players to hit free agency because they weren't tendered QOs... Ilya Samsonov, who we looked into last year. Sam Steel, Sonny Milano, and Brendan Guhle from the Ducks also not qualified, and Brendan Lemieux from LA, among others. Strongly suggests Kuemper will sign in Washington.

Interesting names. Some highly regarded prospects,  at one time. May be a reclamation project in there? Could come at a reasonable cap hit, if we ever make room.

Leafs acquire Matt Murray, a 2023 3rd, and a 2024 7th from Ottawa for future considerations. Ott retains only 25% of his 6M+ salary. Pretty questionable move for Dubas. Some might say Duby-as. That likely takes Tor out of the Allen mix but maybe puts Ott in that mix now. Unless Ottawa thinks they can get Campbell.

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Leafs acquire Matt Murray, a 2023 3rd, and a 2024 7th from Ottawa for future considerations. Ott retains only 25% of his 6M+ salary. Pretty questionable move for Dubas. Some might say Duby-as. That likely takes Tor out of the Allen mix but maybe puts Ott in that mix now. Unless Ottawa thinks they can get Campbell.

how much is Campbell going to get? I think this offseason is going to make Price's contract seem not so bad

I'm sure there are many suitors for Allen (hell leafs might still be interested). If they want to move him they can, its now a question of desire and timing. 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

how much is Campbell going to get? I think this offseason is going to make Price's contract seem not so bad

I'm sure there are many suitors for Allen (hell leafs might still be interested). If they want to move him they can, its now a question of desire and timing. 

I listed 8-10 teams a few days ago who don't really have a true starting goalie and for whom Allen would be a clear upgrade. But in particular, you look at the likes of Tor, Ott, Was, Edm, etc. who want to be playoff teams and are going to be limited by goaltending. Washington is rumored to be first in the running for Kuemper. But both Ott and Edm can't get Campbell. And even if they do, it'll be for probably 4.5-5.5M a season. So Allen at 2.875M is a relative steal. Someone's going to come out of free agency later this week with no starting goalie. Even getting Samsonov is a relative gamble when you're sitting on a player like Matthews or McDavid and are putting your chips all in with a Samsonov or a Murray.

Haydn Fleury among the other players not tendered an offer. Not sure at this point in his career that he's a fit for us and his stock has certainly fallen, but interesting names popping up on the non-tendered list in what should be the prime of their careers. We're not the only ones walking on a Pitlick-type situation.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

And we have the next anointed saviour.:rolleyes: Can't wait to read the pressers.

• H_T_L locked this topic