The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2022-2023 Rumours

Marek on 32TP:

"I think the Montreal Canadiens end up taking Shane Wright and the only controversy around it is they might just send him back to the OHL next season. Let's not forget this guy lost an entire year of development as well".

1 hour ago, KRH said:

Stop all the nonsense already, draft Nemec and get it over with.

I'm beginning to think the same thing. The hockey world seems in agreement this kid is a no miss NHL top 2 D man,, yet they're all over the map on all three of the forwards being talked about. There's doubts expressed about all 3, depending on which news article you read on any given day. Really nerve racking.

1 hour ago, KRH said:

Stop all the nonsense already, draft Nemec and get it over with.

27 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'm beginning to think the same thing. The hockey world seems in agreement this kid is a no miss NHL top 2 D man,, yet they're all over the map on all three of the forwards being talked about. There's doubts expressed about all 3, depending on which news article you read on any given day. Really nerve racking.

I'm about as big a Nemec supporter as you'll find here, but I don't think he's the only can't-miss prospect. I feel reasonably comfortable saying that Wright and Cooley will also have strong NHL careers (barring injury). Cooley to me is going to fit into that category of players like Barzal, Zegras, Hughes, etc. He's going to wow you with his skill, he's going to be an offensive producer, and he can take care of his own end well enough because he's a smart player and can skate. Whether his team ever finds success is another story. Wright is just dominant on the puck. He has the feel of one of those players who can slow the game down and be in command of it. I don't know how well he'll do at point production and he may start his career off slowly likely Lafreniere, but I think at worst, he's going to be a 50-point 2C.

That said, I am 100% on board with choosing Nemec 1st overall. I think he's good enough to be in that spot. I do, however, think you could move down to 3 and still get him there, so drafting him at 1 almost seems like you've wasted the chance at acquiring an asset in the process, but as far as talent and projectability go, yes absolutely, Nemec is as good as any other player in the draft. If we can't get Nemec, would love to see us move up for Mateychuk. He's a player who could go in the top 10 but he could also slide to the 20 range, whereas Korchinski is a player I have trouble seeing get by both the Ducks and Sharks at 10 and 11. In terms of players who fit teams' needs, Korchinski is about as solid a fit for Anaheim as you will find a player fitting a team.

If you're the Habs, I think Plan A is to draft Wright (or maybe Cooley). If you do that, then I think the aim is to move up into the top 15 to try and get a player like Lekkerimaki, Ohgren, Mateychuk, Korchinski, Savoie, Kemell, or Nazar. If you can't do that, then you're hoping one of those guys or someone like Ostlund, Yurov, etc. slides to you in the 20s. Someone slide every year, it'll just be a question of whether it's a player who fits what we're looking for. I'll be less enthusiastic if it's a player like Lambert or Gauthier who slides.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

If you're the Habs, I think Plan A is to draft Wright (or maybe Cooley). If you do that, then I think the aim is to move up into the top 15 to try and get a player like Lekkerimaki, Ohgren, Mateychuk, Korchinski, Savoie, Kemell, or Nazar. If you can't do that, then you're hoping one of those guys or someone like Ostlund, Yurov, etc. slides to you in the 20s. Someone slide every year, it'll just be a question of whether it's a player who fits what we're looking for. I'll be less enthusiastic if it's a player like Lambert or Gauthier who slides.

I think we draft Wright (or maybe Cooley) and then I think the team has a list of players they think are worth moving up for. If you believe the rumours that Hughes has called everyone in the top 10 (and probably everyone in the top 15) then I suspect he knows what it will take to get each pick (if they are available). If a player falls into his lap (like caufield falling to 15th his year) then I think Hughes pulls the trigger & acquires 11th or 13th or whatever.

I have a feeling its going to be an interesting 1st round & hopefully sets us up for a nice solid rebuild. 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think we draft Wright (or maybe Cooley) and then I think the team has a list of players they think are worth moving up for. If you believe the rumours that Hughes has called everyone in the top 10 (and probably everyone in the top 15) then I suspect he knows what it will take to get each pick (if they are available). If a player falls into his lap (like caufield falling to 15th his year) then I think Hughes pulls the trigger & acquires 11th or 13th or whatever.

I have a feeling its going to be an interesting 1st round & hopefully sets us up for a nice solid rebuild. 

At least we won't have to wait long for our pick. :P

FWIW:

According to what the excellent New York journalist Arthur Staple (The Athletic) reports, the Rangers are ready to part with two members of their famous "Kid Line", unfortunately for Rangers fans.

"The Rangers are willing to part with Filip Chytil, to acquire a more experienced top-6 center. Kaapo Kakko is also involved in (trade) discussions." Wow!

This is big. Remember, we're talking about two players drafted by a certain Jeff Gorton, who is now with the Montreal Canadiens.

Kakko, 21, was drafted second overall in 2019. He has 58 points and 26 goals in his NHL career (in 157 games). He just had the best season of his young career.

Chytil, 22, was drafted 21st overall in 2017. He has 93 points and 42 career NHL goals (in 253 games). He is a very good skater.

Both are now available on the trade market. So Kent Hughes and Jeff Gorton now have the opportunity to acquire them (if Gorton wants to bring them back, or bring one of them back)

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, Ottawa Senators forward Colin White has been linked to the Montreal Canadiens.

Why again? Because Friedman claims that the Habs had interest at the trade deadline to acquire White.

Colin White's former agent is Kent Hughes, the general manager of the CH. Kent would like to be reunited with his former player, who has not had much success with Ottawa in recent years.

Originally from Boston, White has been bothered more often than not by injuries in recent campaigns. Still, Hughes seems to have a lot of confidence in the 25-year-old center, who was drafted 21st overall in 2015.

In 2021-2022, he recorded 10 points in 24 games with the Sens.

I am interested in all of these rumors. :lol:

I think White could be a solid depth addition to the team. Especially if we move on from someone like Dvorak.

And looking at players like Kakko and Chytil is pretty interesting. Both of these guys are very young and they already have lots of NHL experience. They haven't broken out yet, but that's what you look for when trying to trade for young players.

46 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I am interested in all of these rumors. :lol:

I think White could be a solid depth addition to the team. Especially if we move on from someone like Dvorak.

And looking at players like Kakko and Chytil is pretty interesting. Both of these guys are very young and they already have lots of NHL experience. They haven't broken out yet, but that's what you look for when trying to trade for young players.

The Rangers are also looking for a replacement for Strome as a 2C. Now is Dvorak that guy? He's been a fringe 2C for us and probably better-suited as a 3C, but there are teams that like him. So I wonder if these rumors could actually play into each other. If we sign White and trade Dvorak to NY for one of the kids, I'd think we'd be better off than where we are now.

Rumors also heating up regarding Puljujarvi. Apparently only a handful of teams interested and the return offers are not that strong, but Edmonton may just want to get rid of him and they seem to prefer getting a player or prospect back rather than a draft pick. IMO, his value right now is likely around that of a 3rd rounder. Would the Oilers flip him for Armia? That could be two pretty comparable players...

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

The Rangers are also looking for a replacement for Strome as a 2C. Now is Dvorak that guy? He's been a fringe 2C for us and probably better-suited as a 3C, but there are teams that like him. So I wonder if these rumors could actually play into each other. If we sign White and trade Dvorak to NY for one of the kids, I'd think we'd be better off than where we are now.

Rumors also heating up regarding Puljujarvi. Apparently only a handful of teams interested and the return offers are not that strong, but Edmonton may just want to get rid of him and they seem to prefer getting a player or prospect back rather than a draft pick. IMO, his value right now is likely around that of a 3rd rounder. Would the Oilers flip him for Armia? That could be two pretty comparable players...

I don't mind signing White and flipping Dvorak to the Rags but the players I would target would be Lundkvist, Cuylle and Kravstov. Those 3 are close to NHL ready and are buried on the depth charts. Perhaps Dvorak + 2nd (Edm) for the three of them could be interesting for the Rags.

12 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

FWIW:

According to what the excellent New York journalist Arthur Staple (The Athletic) reports, the Rangers are ready to part with two members of their famous "Kid Line", unfortunately for Rangers fans.

"The Rangers are willing to part with Filip Chytil, to acquire a more experienced top-6 center. Kaapo Kakko is also involved in (trade) discussions." Wow!

This is big. Remember, we're talking about two players drafted by a certain Jeff Gorton, who is now with the Montreal Canadiens.

Kakko, 21, was drafted second overall in 2019. He has 58 points and 26 goals in his NHL career (in 157 games). He just had the best season of his young career.

Chytil, 22, was drafted 21st overall in 2017. He has 93 points and 42 career NHL goals (in 253 games). He is a very good skater.

Both are now available on the trade market. So Kent Hughes and Jeff Gorton now have the opportunity to acquire them (if Gorton wants to bring them back, or bring one of them back)

i dont see us making a play for those guys but i could see a team like Seattle, that needs quality at every position, offering their high pick for those 2.  I assume they'd have to throw in more but not sure what that would be. 

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I wouldn't trade Armia for Puljujarvi myself. I think Armia is just coming into his own and I would rathe have a power forward than an off/on guy, "but his potential" 

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

I wouldn't trade Armia for Puljujarvi myself. I think Armia is just coming into his own and I would rathe have a power forward than an off/on guy, "but his potential" 

I would consider it but I would like to keep one of Anderson or Armia. I certainly wouldnt trade both unless the return included someone like them. Our whole roster cant be all playmakers and smaller guys

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I would be down to trade for Puljujarvi if the ask wasn't too high. I'd be willing to sweeten up an Armia deal with a draft pick. I'd also be willing to throw Edmonton's second rounder at it in a Puljujarvi for draft pick deal. There's still time for him to break out into a 50-point player, IMO.

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I would consider it but I would like to keep one of Anderson or Armia. I certainly wouldnt trade both unless the return included someone like them. Our whole roster cant be all playmakers and smaller guys

Puljujarvi isn't the most physical player but he is 6'4" and is probably a 20-goal winger in a full season. He can take care of his own end well enough and his advanced stats are good. IMO could be an interesting fit next to Caufield and Suzuki. If we were to trade Armia for Puljujarvi, draft Wright, and swing Anderson over to Ottawa for the 7th, then it leaves us something like

Caufield-Suzuki-Puljujarvi

Drouin-Wright-Gallagher

Dadonov-Dvorak-Ylonen

as a top 9, with room to add a Lekkerimaki or Kemell onto our future roster to replace Dadonov.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Puljujarvi isn't the most physical player but he is 6'4" and is probably a 20-goal winger in a full season. He can take care of his own end well enough and his advanced stats are good. IMO could be an interesting fit next to Caufield and Suzuki. If we were to trade Armia for Puljujarvi, draft Wright, and swing Anderson over to Ottawa for the 7th, then it leaves us something like

Caufield-Suzuki-Puljujarvi

Drouin-Wright-Gallagher

Dadonov-Dvorak-Ylonen

as a top 9, with room to add a Lekkerimaki or Kemell onto our future roster to replace Dadonov.

Certainly some options.  I would be surprised if Drouin, Gallagher and Dvorak are all with the team come October though. Maybe one of them but I dont think all 3. 

Seravalli says talks didn't go anywhere between Klingberg and the Stars and that he will go to free agency July 13th. With that in mind, does it ramp up Dallas' interest in getting a Petry trade done? Many NHL insiders saying Petry has more value than Duncan Keith on the trade market and that the McDonagh trade was more an outlier with TB giving him away to get out from the contract. So would it be reasonable to work around a trade asking Dallas for pick 18 or for Mavrik Bourque? Maybe we'd have to add something else back in, but I wonder if that's a starter for them.

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Hextall reported that Letang is close to an extension as well and he expects it to be signed before he leaves Montreal after the draft. So that is one less chip on the table

Good. Not a legitimate option for us. Hoping Hughes wouldn't be enticed to overpay for a former client and that would remove that incentive to do so.