The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jonathan Drouin

Natural talent has never been a trait on this team that is liked by the fans. I see Drouin having a strong season 75 point area. If we’re going to trade him do it at the deadline not now. Playing under St Louis should grow his game like it did others. Give the guy a break , give him a chance. If it same old same old then get rid of him. 

11 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Natural talent has never been a trait on this team that is liked by the fans. I see Drouin having a strong season 75 point area. If we’re going to trade him do it at the deadline not now. Playing under St Louis should grow his game like it did others. Give the guy a break , give him a chance. If it same old same old then get rid of him. 

I don't think that statement holds true. The problem is that the team has been lacking natural talent for so long, fans have a tendency to get frustrated really fast when they see a player with Drouin's toolset not delivering the goods consistently. Kovalev comes to mind, who was a rather polarizing figure during his tenure in Montreal as well. I agree though, Drouin should be getting all the chances he needs to produce under MSL. No idea what their plans are but I don't think they're going to extend him, so let's at least do our best to maximize his trade value.

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I don't think that statement holds true. The problem is that the team has been lacking natural talent for so long, fans have a tendency to get frustrated really fast when they see a player with Drouin's toolset not delivering the goods consistently. Kovalev comes to mind, who was a rather polarizing figure during his tenure in Montreal as well. I agree though, Drouin should be getting all the chances he needs to produce under MSL. No idea what their plans are but I don't think they're going to extend him, so let's at least do our best to maximize his trade value.

Yeah. There's no world where Drouin is extended by Montreal and stays here for the next 4+ years. I think we just wanna move on a deal when we can. I'm fearful that he gets on a hot streak, but then gets injured for 20+ games again.

25 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah. There's no world where Drouin is extended by Montreal and stays here for the next 4+ years. I think we just wanna move on a deal when we can. I'm fearful that he gets on a hot streak, but then gets injured for 20+ games again.

JD,,,,, hot streak??? I for 1 am not fearful of that at all.:frech1: Hopeful,,,yes, but certainly not counting on it. His streaks are usually short lived, except for the bad ones.

18 hours ago, tony5775 said:

7 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I also don't think they'll extend him. I think from the team perspective, they don't see him as a player who can tolerate the stress of playing in Montreal and I think from Drouin's perspective he would also prefer to be out of the limelight of being one of the only Francophone players in this market.

That said, on the comment about natural talent, I don't think this is merely about talent. We've had Carey Price. We've had PK Subban, who was almost certainly a top 2-3 D man in the league in his prime. We had one of the premier goal scorers in Max Pacioretty. We had an amazingly-skilled player in Kovalev. You're right that we haven't necessarily had a generational talent like a Crosby or McDavid outside of goalie, but I think Chilla's point is well-taken: when we do have players with talent, the expectation from both fans and the team under Bergevin was that the player should be delivering at that level each and every night. Most scorers and skill players produce in clusters and can put up 10 points in 5 games then put up 2 in the next 5. In Montreal, that tends to lead to questions and criticism. We've also had coaches like Therrien and Julien who didn't necessarily want players playing games that were flashy. The mantra here for so long has been to stick to the system of play rather than be creative, and it's really been MSL who has been the first in a long time to preach a change in philosophy.

The other component of this is expectations. Look at Gomez. Fans expected him to be an 80-point 1C and to earn his 7M+ contract and he didn't. But if we had acquired him for a 3rd round draft choice and paid him 4M a season, he probably would have been looked at as being a decent 2C option. Look at Desharnais. He was well-received as a little guy who worked his way through the ranks against all odds. But when he became a 1C, he was a failure in that role. Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi were both judged like they were supposed to be immediate Crosby's or Barkov's and when they weren't, they were deemed failures. Drouin was supposed to be our local boy hero that we gave up a can't-miss top prospect for and Bergevin preached that he would fix our longstanding lack of a 1C. And when he didn't live up to having been a 3rd overall choice, he's been largely torn apart by fans and media alike. But on paper, if you assess him as the 2nd line LW he is, then he's actually been pretty par for the course in that role. Likewise, if we look at Slafkovsky, I'm thrilled to have a player of his pedigree on the roster, but I'm not happy in the least about the opportunity-cost of what it took to draft him, and it wouldn't surprise me if expectations are going to be very high for him to find immediate success.

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Cut ties with Price and Drouin.   Maybe we could get a 5th round pick.  We will likely have to eat half of the Price contract.  We need to be out from under this albatross contract asap.  Let's go after PLD.

no