The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nov. 23, Habs go to CBJ, 7 PM, TSN2, RDS.

kinot-2

• H_T_L pinned this topic

Habs in tough, as I thought they were thoroughly outplayed by Columbus the last game, even with all the injuries that Columbus has. Now, coming off the Buffalo stinker? Should be interesting to see, what MSL does with this defense. Monty will probably get the start. I do think that Jake Allen is starting to get tired. He let in a lot of stoppable goals lately.

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

Habs in tough, as I thought they were thoroughly outplayed by Columbus the last game, even with all the injuries that Columbus has. Now, coming off the Buffalo stinker? Should be interesting to see, what MSL does with this defense. Monty will probably get the start. I do think that Jake Allen is starting to get tired. He let in a lot of stoppable goals lately.

Yep the Dcorps is a little shaky right now they are going to have to tighten up a lot to keep the goals against down and some of the floaters are going to have to give us something! Evans Armia and  the gang have done nothing! and Eddy looks like a shadow of himself! time to get going boys!

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yep the Dcorps is a little shaky right now they are going to have to tighten up a lot to keep the goals against down and some of the floaters are going to have to give us something! Evans Armia and  the gang have done nothing! and Eddy looks like a shadow of himself! time to get going boys!

I know it's fun to watch the run n gun. That said the last few games and trending into the season we have to put up 5 or so goals if we're going to win. Thats not a plan for long term success. The team in general has to be better defensively. It's not just the defense. The forward have to be better and not be caught as much and back check (back side pressure) more. I know "we're letting the kids play" , but they need to play both sides of the game and learn the 200' game also. I know everyone loves Ghule and I think he's doing well. He does though need to tighten up his defensive side of his game. 

This should be a good test to see how the team responds after a terrible game the night before.

Wideman and Harris skating at optional practice this morning, suggesting they're sitting tonight and Kovacevic and Xhekaj draw back in. Don't understand this plan. They're rotating the 4 guys on the team with the best numbers and they broke up the pairing (Harris-Kovacevic) that had the most success.

17 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Wideman and Harris skating at optional practice this morning, suggesting they're sitting tonight and Kovacevic and Xhekaj draw back in. Don't understand this plan. They're rotating the 4 guys on the team with the best numbers and they broke up the pairing (Harris-Kovacevic) that had the most success.

Based on everything the coaching staff has done right, the only conclusion i can come to is that some of the vet D are being scouted.  Harris, Xhekaj and Kovacevic are likely all staying so they rotate in and out.  (Wideman has no real value in a trade so no biggie there).  

If a team has called to enquire about Edmundson or Savard you dont want to be sitting them.  

28 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Based on everything the coaching staff has done right, the only conclusion i can come to is that some of the vet D are being scouted.  Harris, Xhekaj and Kovacevic are likely all staying so they rotate in and out.  (Wideman has no real value in a trade so no biggie there).  

If a team has called to enquire about Edmundson or Savard you dont want to be sitting them.  

Oh that's fine. But then I'd be playing Harris-Kovacevic as a pair instead of splitting them up and having two pairings that stink. I'd also be playing Harris-Kovacevic more games than Xhekaj-Wideman, and if I were sitting Xhekaj that much I'd rather see him in Laval.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

From watching the games Harris and Kovacevic have both had some bad games defensively. It definitely hasn't appeared to be our best pair. No matter what "metrics" say. Sometimes it;s the timing of bad pinches or bad reads that can be costly. With this pairing as the play-by-play announcers have said more than once. They have seemed to be out of sink and still learning  each other. 

35 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Oh that's fine. But then I'd be playing Harris-Kovacevic as a pair instead of splitting them up and having two pairings that stink. I'd also be playing Harris-Kovacevic more games than Xhekaj-Wideman, and if I were sitting Xhekaj that much I'd rather see him in Laval.

I know what you're saying & i agree but in a year like this one...especially when maybe you dont mind losing a few extra games (as long as the effort is there) then maybe getting 50-65 games for everyone is better than 75 for some and 40 for others. 

23 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

But we're only about to see our 3rd game with this 8-man D corps situation.   So isn't it a bit early to know that they're doing the rotations all wrong?  The fact that Harris has struggled a little bit in his last few games seems significantly more important to me than what his average shot share is for the season thus far.  And the fact that they're switching up the pairings seems like a useful exercise if you know you're in a development year and you're trying learn something about how your rookies do in different situations and you're trying to help them learn by putting them in different situations.  Have we really seen enough to know that Harris and Kovacevic should definitely be playing together every game and that it would be foolish to split them up?  That would seem like a bit of an overreaction to a very specific 'underlying' metric, at the expense of just watching how they play.

Also, these young guys have never played a full 82-game NHL season before, and its pretty famously exhausting both mentally and physically to do that.  So if the thinking is that guys like Harris and Xhekaj can benefit from playing a little less and watching from the press box occasionally, that makes sense to me.  Its not like theyre sitting Harris for multiple games in a row.  I imagine as we go forward, these rotations will evolve and someone may end up getting sent down.

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic