The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Chanting

Hey guys,

Habs fans are arguably the most knowledgable fans in the world and a rocking Bell Centre is the best hockey theatre anywhere. But as a die-hard Habs fan, one thing that has to improve is the chanting & cheering. Why is it that we sing ole ole ole song and hardly nothing else anymore? We're like zombies. It's the most basic soccer chant, but that's not the only soccer chant that exists, and European fans (true passion) modify it to their team. Has anyone watched games in Europe on TV? It's nuts!!! Remember the chanting at the Olympics? We can make it our own chant and personalize it like: OLE OLE OLE OLE... HUET...HUET, or KOVALEV, KOVALEV, SAKU SAKU ... which is better. That's how you motivate players as fans, because any fans around the league could sing OLE OLE OLE. It's not about how much noise we can make, it's how much passion we show towards the team. That's home-ice advantage. It's not just our fault (the fans), it's the sound system which starts that song, and pretty much tells us when to sing & cheer, like with the ESSO Speedpass race, which is the most retarded thing I've ever seen. I wish those two cars would crash into eachother. Do you think cheering on demand encourages our team & intimidates theirs? We look like idiots. YEAH YEAH LOUDER LOUDER FASTER FASTER, like you think it makes a difference? Ahhh... sponsorship crap.... How bout the Esso Insult The Visiting Team Contest? Remember Hulk Hogan in Tampa 2 years ago? Let's keep it real. Real Passion, on our own.

"LES CANADIENS SONT LA" has existed for decades, but it rarely heard anymore, especially since we moved to our new home. That chant was heard constantly during the glory years. We know how much home-ice advantage is important, so let's make it OUR home, and not just a hockey rink. Opponents used to be so intimidated when visiting the Montreal, but now it's about the "corporate image", unlike the Forum where it was pure passion. Nobody is scared and overwhelmed anymore, hence we have not won a cup in the new building. Yeah the "suits" in the reds are partly to blame, god forbid they would stand up on a breakaway or a 2 on 1 and spill their $8.00 beer and smoked meat, next to their client. Not saying everyone in the reds is like that, but there are a couple thousand that won't budge. What happened to the old trumpet guy? And Youppi??? They should have sent him (or her) to Washington, or left him (or her) at the Big O.

LES CANADIENS, LES CANADIENS SONT LA!!!!!! OLE OLE OLE OLE!!!!!! GO HABS GO!!!!! all game long, and not just when the screen tells us to. Let's get on the other teams players. Home-ice advantage is important, because of the fans!!!! Not because of the ice, or glass, or dressing room. We have to let them know that this is MONTREAL, and we are the HABS. And not just those in the whites, grays & blues, but you guys in the reds too, don't be afraid. This is our team, and man do we need a cup. It's been 13 years!!!

After the Boston game on Tuesday, I've never seen the reds empty out so fast, you could have heard a pin drop it was so quiet!!! We had just won 7 in a row!!! We just beat the Booins!!! Cmon!!! Tomorrow night, biggest game of the year. Let's put in the biggest effort of the year. Imagine 10,000 people jumping simultaneously? If you watch European soccer, you know what I mean. Are we going to let a guy named GOMEZ beat us??? GOMEZ???

Anyway, this rant is not just directed towards fans, but also whoever takes care of the music at the Bell Centre. Where's the passion guys??? Vertigo was popular 2 years ago!!!!!!!!! Bring back the OH OH OH OH goal song from 3 seasons ago, at least that's original HABS! And you've been playing Start Me Up for 6 years now, it's over!!!

And it's unacceptable that opposing fans invade our home and treat it like theirs. This is Montreal, we are the HABS. DRIVE FOR 25.

If anyone wants to start a real fan club, for real fans, not sponsored by ABC Inc., let me know.

John C., Go Habs Go

Guest habfanforlife_85

First thing is first. Get rid of that goal song. Vertigo is the worst goal song ever. Bring back the 2003-2004 goal song for the playoffs, that is how you get the fans into it. No one wants to hear U2 at a hockey game.

Guest habsolutfan

Ya i hope some how they bring back the old goal song for the playoffs. I also hope we get some crazy chants going, in the playoffs.

GO HABS GO!!!

Guest halifax_habs
"LES CANADIENS SONT LA" has existed for decades, but it rarely heard anymore, especially since we moved to our new home.

I honestly can't remember ever hearing this song (I'm only 22 and live in Halifax). It would be awesome to bring back part of Habs history at the Bell Centre. Anyone have a link to the tune or words?

I've never been to a game at the Bell Centre, but I agree with your general argument. The European fans at the Olympics were awesome. I'd love to watch a Habs game and see the Bell Centre with that much atmosphere.

i am a season ticket holder, and pardon the language, but holy crap! does that goal song suck. I remember 3 years ago everyone was singing it in the streets, at school, in the metro, we wanted the habs to score just so we could hear that song. Bring it back!!!

Cheers to need to happen more often, and what ever happened to the wave??? Van halen was much more intresting then the girls skating out to some ugly song.

The passion is there but it has to be extracted from every single fan in that 21 273 seat capacity hockey rink we call home!!!

Guest CHimbued

The OH OH OH OH song definitley needs to be brought back into the fold. It has a driving crowd feel to it, almost like a military anthem. When Vertigo comes on I think okay, its exciting but im not at concert. I wanna get pumped up, the boys are there on the ice to fight to win not to dance.

I've liked the recent addition of nanana to the crowd chants, but it would be cool if we were able to get some new ones going or bring back the old.

Guest mohit07

Guys, that goal song was one of a kind... Does someone have that link ...I forgot the name of that webstie or company that made it.

That goal song NEEDS to be brought back !!! We would be blasting that song all over the streeets when they were playing the Bruins last playoffs, and just listening to it made people who heard it go nuts! Vertigo is ok, but come on!! What we had was original and as soon as we heard it, it symbolized the Montreal Canadiens successs. If you hear vertigo anywhere, any chance you think habs? Barely ...

I don't know how we can get to the person in charge of the music, but something has to be done ... The moderator who takes care of the board? Anybody? I dont know why they would change it in the first place... I've never heard one person complain about it or even anybody who has ever not said that the SONG was Greatness! There was a thread on this at the beginning of the season..I guess people forgot.

Guest Un_Lavalois

I don't remember that Oh Oh Oh chant ... but the topic starter is RIGHT! We need to be intimidating! yesterday, the Ottawa take over was great, but when we are home, we have to make the other team WISH they would go back home

Guest CanadianMike
First thing is first. Get rid of that goal song. Vertigo is the worst goal song ever. Bring back the 2003-2004 goal song for the playoffs, that is how you get the fans into it. No one wants to hear U2 at a hockey game.[/quote:55e83c5a6f]

speak for yourself....I am a BIG U2/ BONO fan...hearing Bono's voice when the Habs score is FINE BY ME! 8)

Guest CanadianMike
that and i think instead of whipping shirts in the crowd or giving away stuff during the breaks, give everyone a dman white habs towel like in playoffs, man that creates atmosphere!!![/quote:47beabe504]

Now this idea I have always liked.....looks & feels like playoff time...yes to the towels.

Go Habs Go!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember a chant back in the Mid to Late 70's that went something like "Ouuuuuuu......aahhhhhhhhhh....Habs on the Warpath ",,,,,,does anyone remember that one or is it a figment of my imagination! iF it did exist,,,which I am pretty sure it did,,what happened to it? Was it a politically correct issue?

Long time Habs fan living in Syracuse, NY,,,,originally from a small town near Plattsburgh, NY and this if my first ever post.

Just a couple general observattion! When the Habs had that mid-season slump,,,,there confidence was brocken, the goaltending could not be relied upon, and they looked tired. They have strong goaltending now, their confidence and speed are back and due to that they are actually playing the body now and taking the game to the opponent! Keep it up !!!!

Have the NHL package and have not missed a game this year!

GO HABS GO!!!

When Steve blocks 3 straight shots penalty killing with no stick, that's when we chant:

OLE OLE OLE OLE... BEGIN BEGIN

Or when Crystal Ball makes a couple great saves in a row, we chant:

OLE OLE OLE OLE... HUET HUET

Sing it in your head, it sounds great. No other fans do this. We are unique.

We are the HABS Brigade.

Don't know the "HABS WARPATH" song, but we should learn it. Enough with the stupid cheering games.

We are the legends.

Guest Un_Lavalois
:cry: Habs REAL Goal Song[/quote:df129d7eee]

Oh I remember that soong now!!!!! It's just SOO MUCH BETTER then that Vertigo song, we should e-mail "Pierre et Yvon" and tell them that we want our song back, they can talk to Boivin who can talk to the DJ 8)

:cry: Habs REAL Goal Song[/quote:ff9c323be4]

Oh I remember that soong now!!!!! It's just SOO MUCH BETTER then that Vertigo song, we should e-mail "Pierre et Yvon" and tell them that we want our song back, they can talk to Boivin who can talk to the DJ 8)[/quote:ff9c323be4]

Yeah, did someone email them already? I seriously hope they'll put back our song especially during the PLAYOFFS. I really miss the "WO OH-OH OH OH" chant when the team score!

By the way, does anyone know what happened to our petition about the goal song? I remember signing it in the beginning of the season but haven't got any news back. Did someone send it to the administration yet?

Guest Un_Lavalois
The FANS could actually get into the song together and celebrate some goals, what was bad about that? Now we have freaken Vertigo? bleh. It's been 6 months, and I still don't like it at all.[/quote:444933be29]

That's a really great idea.. there's no better idea to tell them what we want... If a couple of fans start chanting that song, some others will follow and the DJ will see that THAT'S the song we want! Ahh that board is so powerfull! I hope you lucky fans who will assist the game will start that chant when we score, if we can take over Ottawa's crowd like that, i'm pretty sure we have the power to chose our music!

Guest Steckle

right on i agree 100% with all the points and i think that we should be ashamed we are fans of the greatest sports team in the world and we should do more and i say someone should sent a petion to manegment to change our goal song i would sign in second

Guest P.Royfan

Speaking of chants.. I can't believe nobody's started one yet to be truthful. I think from now on when ever the Leafs are it town a 67 chant should get started. Like when the Islander fans use to chant 1940 when the Rangers use to roll into their building. I can here it now! :D SIX-TY SEV-EN, SIX-TY SEV-EN, SIX-TY SEV-EN, SIX-TY SEV-EN!

HAHAHAHA I love it!

Guest Steckle

if anyone knows of that petion or wants to start i new one give me the link and i say we come up with some new chants maybey even have a contest if anyones with me let me know if we speak loud enough we will be heard

Archived