The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Corey Locke!

mhmmm

I fell in love with this prospect early on. I saw the numbers he was putting up night after night in junior and couldnt help but feel we had another steal like Michael Ryder who I watched rise out of Hamilton. I hope Locke can crack our lineup and be our next rookie star.

Guest habfan6071

CHL player of the year in '03 and won OHL MVP in 04 too this guys has talent if he was bigger he wud easily had been a 1st rounder i think the new rules will help prospects like Locke and Martin St.Pierre who also put up huge numbers in junior and dindt get drafted (thats Chicagos steal now)

Guest Sudbury Saturday Night
Exactly. So why then can't he seem to get into the pro training camp? Hew gets into the rookie one but takes an early exit each time.[/quote:4a7bd142b0]

I'ts his size all we have is small forwards

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

I would love to see him in the NHL. With the new rules he will do well. However, I do agree we are to small, if their is no room for him on our team, I believe he would work well in a trade.

Guest mrcarsonj

Unfortunately Corey is the type of player with potential that Bob will offload this offseason. We have too many small forwards.

It's not that he lacks talent, it's that he fits the same mould that too many of our forwards already do; small playmakers. What the Canadiens need to focus on bringing in or bringing up are forwards with a superior scoring touch, as well as a few that can score and use the body.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB
We are too smal... but still. If he is better than a large forward on the team, im in favor of him being on the team. Look at the st.louis and the Briere's. He could turn into one fo them. I would hate to see him be traded. Id rather see him on the squad than a guy like bonk.[/quote:62936f8130]

That's a very valid point. Their were some very big underachiver's on the team last year. I think it will make for a very exciting training camp this fall, and I hope B.G. gives him the chance to put one of those underacheviers in Hamilton or elsewhere.

Guest habfanforlife_85

This kid could play in the NHL. I have see him play before and while he is small he reminds me a lot fo Corey Perry for Anaheim just a bit smaller. Unless he bulks up I can't see him every playing for us since our best forwards are all small and more skilled that Locke. Definitely good trade bait. A package of a solid AHL performer with NHL potential along with a Zednik or Ribeiro or Aebischer would seem to be quite attractive to most teams. How about Locke and Ribeiro for Calder?

Guest habfan6071
This kid could play in the NHL. I have see him play before and while he is small he reminds me a lot fo Corey Perry for Anaheim just a bit smaller. quote]

but Perry is a gutless punk he always starts the rough stuff trash talks then runs to the bench the 1st chance he gets

I watched this guy alot in the O just gutless as for Locke i really like this guy he has the potential maybe one day he'll fit in the team as a regular he's still young he's goin into his 3rd pro season this year i think

Guest jsol

cory urquhart has potential, and he's 6'3. I hope he makes it onto the bulldogs outta the ECHL this time around. I think it just didn't click last time, although I didn't see him play (ever). He was among top scorers for the Ice Dogs last year. 26g + 26a in 67 games. Not bad.

and how about Christian Larrivee, will he get a shot with the absence of Kost? assuming that he makes the Habs roster.

Cory Locke is not alone...

i think Kost will definatley make the roster, but guys like chipchura will fill those voids. The problem with Urquart is that if he post roughly 50 points in the ECHL, is it reasonable to expect him to post the same in the AHL and NHL?[/quote:5b8f616476]

probably not, at least to the NHL. If we could get our prospects to transfer their AHL points to the NHL, our top line right now would be Benoit Gratton, Jason Ward, and Eric Landry.

Ryder was one of the few whos points carried with him from the ECHL to the AHL to the NHL.

well, his brother is a koivu type player, all assists no goals, ryder is the opposite, guess it all comes down to what you want, the scorer or the playmaker.

Locke in my opinion is some very tempting trade bait for teams looking at our propects.

Guest evilcanadiensfan
Exactly. So why then can't he seem to get into the pro training camp? Hew gets into the rookie one but takes an early exit each time.[/quote:2278f60bd9]

I'ts his size all we have is small forwards[/quote:2278f60bd9]

no no no, its because of work ethic. im going to have to double check but im pretty sure that i read somewhere that he really needs to work on going the extra mile.

well, his brother is a koivu type player, all assists no goals, ryder is the opposite, guess it all comes down to what you want, the scorer or the playmaker.

Locke in my opinion is some very tempting trade bait for teams looking at our propects.[/quote:88f556bc3a]

i can understand that we don't need another small forward, but if we trade him we may regret it.

sure, we may regret losing him later on, but what if he is the prospect Tampa wants out of us to complete a package deal for Lecavlier? do you keep locke just incase, or do you go for the presently dominating player?

Im not saying give him up for nobody, but if we have to include a good prospect in a deal for a good player, chances are hes the one who will go. Especially since he led Hamilton in points.

Archived