The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mathieu Carle thread

D_mtl

Guest habFAN

does anybody know the background of Carle what his potential might be and what kind of advantage he could be to us in the future.

From what i read Timmins seems to really like this guy, He said he considered him to be the best all around defender in the draft with the exception of Johnson

If thats the case its not to bad for our 3rd pick 53rd overall :wink:

Guest spankydriscoll

History

Carle was selected by Acadie Bathurst in the first round of the 2003 QMJHL Midget Draft, and stepped right into an important role on the rebuilding Titan. Carle saw regular ice time on the second and third pairings in his first season with the club, picking up a strong 23 points, 11 of which were goals. He earned a spot on the Quebec squad in the under-17 tournament as a result of his play. He tried to work more on his defensive game in his sophomore season, given that he had now inherited a role in the team’s top defensive pairing at only 17, and picked up 33 points, playing in a full schedule.

Carle, a late-1987 birth date, entered his draft year with a bang, getting off to a cracking offensive start, one which saw him actually lead the QMJHL in scoring after the first few games. Carle could not be expected to keep up such a torrid pace as two points a game over the course of an entire season, and cooled offensively, though he still focused on trying to create plays in the other end, unfortunately, to the detriment of his defensive game, which suffered at times over the course of the season. Carle played for the QMJHL team in the Canada-Russia Hockey Challenge, and was also a participant in the CHL Top Prospects Game.

Talent Analysis

Carle is a strong offensive presence from the blue line, with good skating and strong puck-handling ability. He can tend to get a little too focused on his offensive game, though, and will occasionally neglect his defensive responsibilities. When he does focus on his own end, he is willing to drop in front of shots, and is good positionally. However, that is when he does. Consistency and focus is an issue with Carle’s play. He has good size, and is willing to get his nose dirty from time to time, but will have to use his size more effectively, and more regularly, in order to intimidate the opposition.

Future

Carle has the talent to be a top four defenseman in the professional ranks. Whether or not he can get the focus to attain the level of his ability is another matter. He will look to further improve his defensive game, while cutting back on needless penalties in what will be his fourth QMJHL season.

Season--Team--------------------Lge-----GP-G-A-Pts-PIM

2005-06 Acadie-Bathurst Titan  QMJHL 67 18 51 69 122

2004-05 Acadie-Bathurst Titan  QMJHL 69 04 29 33 53  

2003-04 Acadie-Bathurst Titan  QMJHL 59 11 12 23 57  

Mathieu Carle, D (Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL, 6-0, 206)

A smooth offensive defenseman who shows little panic with the puck. Unlike some other young defensemen who treat the biscuit like a hand grenade, Carle waits for the right play to open up and executes. He's got tremendous passing skills, and while not tall, is quite bulky and strong.

"He's a good-sized kid that supports the attack well," said one NHL scout.

Some think his skating needs work, but Carle sounds like the classic Bruins prospect. He's not a burner, but he gets it done. Carle had 69 points and 122 penalty minutes in 67 games. His defensive zone play needs some work, but his package of skill and strength should see him picked late in the 2nd round.

Guest Newfie_Gurrl29
Talent Analysis

Carle is a strong offensive presence from the blue line, with good skating and strong puck-handling ability. He can tend to get a little too focused on his offensive game, though, and will occasionally neglect his defensive responsibilities. When he does focus on his own end, he is willing to drop in front of shots, and is good positionally. However, that is when he does. Consistency and focus is an issue with Carle’s play. He has good size, and is willing to get his nose dirty from time to time, but will have to use his size more effectively, and more regularly, in order to intimidate the opposition.

we need somebody strong, but is the constitency issue something to worry about?[/b]

• 2 months later...

2 goals 5 assists last night against York University.

I know it was only a University team and it was a blow out game but 7 pts is 7 pts. The future is starting to look bright for Carle IMO

we picked something like 4 defenseman in the draft this year, which we needed to badly because of the shortage at the posistion

yea good point by systemic, our prospects would rip apart the hab teams of 98-99 99-00 because they were just freakin terrible

Guest P.Royfan

You can't judge Carle on one game against a University team in Canada. The only reason these kids have gone to the University level is because they couldn't make it to the junior level. Don't get me wrong sure some highly talented young players probably did go to get an education. When was the last highly touted canadian prospect go the collegic route in Canada? Universaty hockey in Canada sucks compared to the University hockey in the US. I mean think about it there is no junior program there they have no other choice except the few who come up here to play junior.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest _Pedro_
GOD almighty

another 2 goals and 2 assists tonight

32 games played, 11 goals ,  37 freakin passes, and 48 points

yeah, he is a beast offensively and he is +15 in the plus/minus wich isn't bad either

our prospects sure look really good with ben maxwell, mathieu carle, sergei kostitsyn, andrei kostitsyn (who had a5 pts games yesterday), mikail grabovsky, carey price, jaroslav halak, Ryan white, Emelin, O'byrne, chipchura, d'agostini and much more!

we're gonna be amazing! (and i'm not mentioning the guys that are with us and that will get better with more experience like Latendresse, Lapierre, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Higgins and even Komisarek!) and i agree with you; just with these guys we could EASILY wipe out any Habs team from 98 to 03

Guest brand--x

i think he may be a defensman like Sheldon Souray.

very good offensively, big shot from the point, great passer, and not as good defensively, but a defenseman you can take risks with, cause hes not that horrible defensively.

i think i just described Souray and Carle.

what a great future we have, and already, i think this team is a contender, so imagine in the future.

GO HABS.

Guest Tony Montana

No dought in my mind that Carle and Fischer are hopes for deffenceman prospects. We dont have any top notch guys that can dominate in the nhl that are currently playing in the AHL. With the amount of points Carle is putting up it seems like he has a chance of putting up decent amount of numbers in Hamilton and in 2 years or so maybe getting the call for the Canadians.

Carle has an assist tonight already, making him the first defender to 50 points in the Q. And considering he missed 5 games for training camp, that's pretty damn impressive.

Guest HabSteve

Carle was once again named defensive player of the week today in the QMJHL, in 3 games he had 2 goals and 5 assist while posting a +6. He is now at 11 (6 of them on the power play) goals, 39 assists and post a +21 .

Archived